THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Supplies

darren15

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, cambridgeho said:

What time will the Tavern open up?

This one appears to be open 24/7... at least via the "Mobile" link.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:
label

Honig is pretty nice stuff...

22 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

This one appears to be open 24/7... at least via the "Mobile" link.

Honig is pretty nice stuff...

I was just right near there a couple of weeks ago....but did not stop in.   We stopped into  Sattui,   Peju, and Robert Mondavi wineries, all nearby, instead.

We also were at the Castelo Di Amorosa....a bit further up the road.

Others that we stopped and did tastings at were:   Cline,   Jacuzzi,  Etude,  Trinitas, and Jamieson .

Yes, there is a very, very nice winery named Jamieson there in Napa....not to be confused with the Jameson Distillery in Midleton, Ireland....which I have been to as well.

Also....the Jacuzzi winery IS...owned by the same family that invented the Jacuzzi.  In fact....THE very first Jacuzzi ever built is on display there at the Jacuzzi winery.   A Jacuzzi is not actually the pool or tub itself, but is the device that causes the pool to "bubble" for lack of a better term.

Jacuzzi+Family+Vineyard+wine+tasting+018

And here is the inventor with the original device which is on display there:

6924944_134961881376.jpg

5 hours ago, Nero said:

Nice! But 9v9? What's the scheme with that number? 3-3-2? 3-4-1? 

I only play friendly matches of futsal. 

I like 3-2-3, stagger and push up the backline, send a midfield when the situation is right to make a 4-1-3 power set... once we get ahead a little 2-2-4 with the fastest players on the backline. 

2 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

I like 3-2-3, stagger and push up the backline, send a midfield when the situation is right to make a 4-1-3 power set... once we get ahead a little 2-2-4 with the fastest players on the backline. 

THE FOLLOWING WILL BE ABOUT SOCCER, DON'T READ IT, GIPPER

Well, I can see how you play a 2-2-4, even a 3-2-3. But 4-1-3? I imagine it is more likely a 2-2-1-3, with 2 strikers and the other 2 somewhat behind and close to the sideline like wingers (I had too look it up, I don't know the soccer positions in English...) 

7 minutes ago, Nero said:

Well, I can see how you play a 2-2-4, even a 3-2-3. But 4-1-3? I imagine it is more likely a 2-2-1-3, with 2 strikers and the other 2 somewhat behind and close to the sideline like wingers (I had too look it up, I don't know the soccer positions in English...) 

Yeah, close the sidelines, get the defense to open up a little, flank from the sides or push down the sideline and swing back to the middle after the defense is drawn away. .

13 minutes ago, Nero said:

I am not the one you have to worry about.  I have no control over what content goes into these threads.....but the guy who does have control is vehement about not having soccer talk on this forum.  It usually gets shifted to the Barber Shop.

Plus....all the winery talk may give it an extra push.

But...maybe the beer talk saves it.   

34 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I was just right near there a couple of weeks ago....but did not stop in.   We stopped into  Sattui,   Peju, and Robert Mondavi wineries, all nearby, instead.

Most recent SF Ch. Contest results.

http://winejudging.com/medal-winners/

I enjoyed visits to Grgich Hills, Honig, Hess and especially the gravity driven systems @ Vine Cliff who also had cellars built into the sides of the hills for aging the wines.

https://www.vinecliff.com/

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I enjoyed visits to Grgich Hills, Honig, Hess and especially the gravity driven systems @ Vine Cliff who also had cellars built into the sides of the hills for aging the wines.

The Trinitas winery, which I visited and which was actually on the grounds of the resort I stayed at, is in a cave dug into a hill right under where the vineyard is that they make the wines from. I am assuming the cave in not natural.

Grgich "I'd like to buy a vowel" Hills

My first stop... and my most expensive stop. One bottle of their Reserve Cab... but it was spectacular.

Frank Family Vineyards was a great stop. Their Reserve Pinot and Zin were both killer.

Muscardini Cellars stop featured a Host at the tasting bar who put on a helluva show. They featured very nice Italian varietals, but are a bit of a misnomer since they are "one of those" vineyards that just have a plot in the valley for a tasting room and a few rows so they print Sonoma on their label.

Actually got to meet Grgich in my Napa visit 15 years ago, had Mike autograph a bottle for me- and everyone else in the tasting room at the time. The wine equivalent of getting an autograph from the President. Not sure if you know, the "Hills" part of the name is from the family that bankrolled the vineyard and winery, the "Hills" of Hills Brothers Coffee.  :)  

My wine for tomorrow night- 2014 Napa Cellars "V".

"Our V Collection—meaning “five” and named to honor the original five acres of pristine vineyards where Napa Cellars was founded—offers a distinct collection of sub-appellated wines from some of Napa’s most sought-after regions."

St. Helena Cabernet Sauvignon

4 hours ago, Nero said:

Soccer positions?  (Sorry I couldn't resist.)  :lol:

5f6f978840c9be234818d2b57242daf7--fitness-humor-football-players.jpg

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

My first stop... and my most expensive stop. One bottle of their Reserve Cab... but it was spectacular.

Frank Family Vineyards was a great stop. Their Reserve Pinot and Zin were both killer.

Muscardini Cellars stop featured a Host at the tasting bar who put on a helluva show. They featured very nice Italian varietals, but are a bit of a misnomer since they are "one of those" vineyards that just have a plot in the valley for a tasting room and a few rows so they print Sonoma on their label.

That is not atypical.  The greater percentage of wineries in Napa use grapes that are grown offsight.  I learned this in talking to several of the sommeliers.   A few do as you say:   have an onsight small plot that they have basically for show.  A few actually do grow their grapes on sight...but it seems to be a fairly small minority.

When did you get out there?

Best kept secret in California is Amador county where they have several small wineries that just sell local. Deaver makes an excellent Petite Sirah at a reasonable $27 and several of their wines just got golds in the SF contest. Their Angelica Port got that rare double gold as did their Old Vine Zinfandel. The Angelica comes from 100+ year old Mission grapes.

http://www.deavervineyards.com/product/Angelica?pageID=D0CCF0EE-99BC-6069-32A7-F4401F5F777E&sortBy=DisplayOrder&maxRows=10&

Sorry Bill & Larry, but I can't stand wine. Maybe it's because I drank (in one sitting) an entire bottle of homemade "bathtub" wine when I was 18. An old guy at work made it. I got out of bed the next morning & fell on my *ss! That is still the ONLY day's work I ever missed due to drinking. That sh*t was nasty! Beer, whiskey, & whisky NEVER did me like that.  :P

Mike

4 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Sorry Bill & Larry, but I can't stand wine. Maybe it's because I drank (in one sitting) an entire bottle of homemade "bathtub" wine when I was 18. An old guy at work made it. I got out of bed the next morning & fell on my *ss! That is still the ONLY day's work I ever missed due to drinking. That sh*t was nasty! Beer, whiskey, & whisky NEVER did me like that.  :P

Mike

That was probably your problem Mike- having a bad experience with some cheap crap wine. One of my college roommates swore off wine for a long time after a similarly bad experience involving a bottle plus of Taylor (New York, not Portugal) tawny port. I couldn't drink gin for years after one 4th of July binge 40 years ago that involved a large quantity of Gilbey's. 

8 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

Oh I got a better wine drunk story for you Mike. When I was 19 my college roommate told me we were going out to get a cheap drunk because his hometown girlfriend had called to say she was pregnant. I drank a gallon bottle of Gallo Vin Rose and stayed sick for 3 days. Meanwhile he ends up going home and BS's the father by painting an eventual trailer home life for his daughter and grandchild and convinces them to put the baby up for adoption. 'Bout 4 months later she calls to say she's had the baby. My roommate is passing out cigars and reconsidering fatherhood, but in the middle of it all he tells me the baby was 8 lbs and whatever ounces. I then ask how that could be since the baby had to be 2-3 months premature. He had not thought that part through and did not know that had to be a full term baby. He called her back and confronted her with it and she admitted to knowing she was pregnant by someone else before she even met him. He was spittin' mad, but I had to remind him they deserved each other since he had lied to the girl's father and not informed them he came from a very rich family, not a trailer park like he was painting. They deserved each other. One liar found another. LOL!

Meanwhile it was a good 7 years before my wife took a wine tasting class and brought a couple of fine Bordeauxs home. Certainly was not Gallo and it was then that I found I had a knack for appreciating a fine red wine. It was the first wine I had had since that night of Vin Rose.:D

PS-she ended up in the trailer park with the real father. (Well I don't know about the trailer park part really, but it makes for a good ending) :lol:

12 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

Well....the first time I got drunk it was on Ripple...I think.   Or was it Boone's Farm?   Can't remember because I was drunk.

On 4/25/2018 at 9:05 AM, tiamat63 said:

Case of bud light ready to go.  

Case? 

Mayfield?/trade #4 talks? just under 6 hours of this to go.:o.time to level my nerves..Welcome to my Draft Weekend Amode!! 

Ah getting ready for the big event- on an all day watching our hired hand painters paint the living room. Man Cave is still intact. Nero would be interested- I just found an amazing booze- food discovery by accident. The Spanish "43" licour with black walnuts. Amazing.  He'd also be happy to know one of my favortest wines is Clio from the Jumilla region of Spain. If it's Baker\Chubb, I may even open one- if I'm still conscious....   

If my typing gets sloppy after 9 Pm or so, you'll know why....  

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Yea.....I kinda think it would suck if we Get Shorty....and then trade down.  A truly disappointing development....A Sachi Brown type move.

LOL, you don't think Mini-Me croaking was an omen?   

40 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Ah getting ready for the big event- on an all day watching our hired hand painters paint the living room. Man Cave is still intact. Nero would be interested- I just found an amazing booze- food discovery by accident. The Spanish "43" licour with black walnuts. Amazing.  He'd also be happy to know one of my favortest wines is Clio from the Jumilla region of Spain. If it's Baker\Chubb, I may even open one- if I'm still conscious....   

If my typing gets sloppy after 9 Pm or so, you'll know why....  

I can get the "43" and "maybe" the Clio. I have to call the local "Specs" stores to see if one carries it. Total Wine has it in N.M. but not near here.

EDIT: Found the Clio in Austin....................will get a bottle next trip there. The 2012 they carry has a 96 rating by Wine Advocate. looks like a winner Larry.

16 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

That's why Irishmen stick to beer and whiskey, Flanagan!

Z

Archived