THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Hamilton Tiger-Cats coach June Jones says Johnny Manziel should be playing in NFL

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23861967/hamilton-tiger-cats-coach-june-jones-says-johnny-manziel-playing-nfl

Shared from my Google feed

Well maybe eventually.......

"I've been pleasantly surprised the last three weeks what a good teammate he is, how smart he is, how he sees the game,'' Jones told ESPN.com. "He should be playing in the National Football League, and I believe he will when he gets through with us.'........

• 1 month later...
USA TODAY Sports' Lorenzo Reyes discusses Johnny Manziel's roller-coaster football career and his opportunity with the CFL's Hamilton Tiger-Cats.
USA TODAY SPORTS

Johnny Manziel has been traded by the Canadian Football League's Hamilton Tiger-Cats to the Montreal Alouettes.

The Tiger-Cats and Alouettes announced Sunday the multi-player deal that included the 2012 Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback.

Johnny Manziel was a backup for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in what is his first season in the CFL.  
DEREK LEUNG, GETTY IMAGES

Stuck behind incumbent quarterback Jeremiah Masoli on the Tiger-Cats' depth chart, Manziel was relegated to backup duty in his first season in the CFL. In Montreal, however, Manziel will be reunited with coach Mike Sherman, whose final season at Texas A&M was also Manziel's redshirt season in 2011. Sherman is in his first season with the Alouettes.

The Alouettes are off to a 1-4 start this season and have scored the fewest number of points (69) while allowing a league-high 148 points.

The other quarterbacks on the Alouettes' roster include Vernon Adams Jr., Drew Willy, Jeff Mathews and Matthew Shiltz.  Adams was recently signed by the Alouettes. Adams — who played collegiately at Oregon and Eastern Washington — started his CFL career in Montreal before joining the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 2017. Willy was forced to leave the Alouettes' latest game — a 25-8 loss to the Calgary Stampeders on Saturday — with a hand injury. Mathews is out with a foot injury. Shiltz, the third-string QB, Shiltz played the final three quarters against the Stampeders. 

.........continued........ 

Montreal acquired Manziel and offensive linemen Tony Washington and Landon Rice from the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in exchange for defensive end Jamaal Westerman, wide receiver Chris Williams and first-round draft picks in 2020 and 2021.

Manziel is trying to resurrect his professional football career in the CFL after more than two years away from the game. After a decorated career at Texas A&M, Manziel was a first-round draft pick by the Cleveland Browns in 2014. During two seasons in Cleveland, Manziel started eight games, but off-the-field issues, including substance abuse and a domestic-violence case, led to his release

Follow USA TODAY Sports' Jim Reineking on Twitter @jimreineking.

Oh and if any of you were interested.....

The name Alouette is a girl's name of French origin meaning "lark". Alouette and is often added to lists like Bird Baby Names and discussed in our forums with posts like "The Makeover Baby Name Game".

From the experts:

Alouette is a sweet Gallic twist in the stylish bird name genre made familiar via the charming Frenchchildren's song, Alouette, gentile alouette.....

LOL Poor Johnny is done.. It's become that obvious.. The kid should hang it up and find a career selling insurance...

Just now, nickers said:

LOL Poor Johnny is done.. It's become that obvious.. The kid should hang it up and find a career selling insurance...

Actually Sherman is quite familiar with JM strengths and the Alouettes are not scoring so far this year. He is given new life with Sherman. Manziel & Evans used to tear up Sherman's starting defense as the scout team when they redshirted as true freshmen. We were hearing all kinds of rumors about what was coming from the A&M practice field, which is where the JFF legend started.

Last night on......of all things.....ESPN SEC REWIND I saw the T A&M at Alabama game and the high point of Mr. Johnny Football's football career.

29-24 final, the Freshman Heisman and everyone prematurely making him the best quarterback ever!

Can't believe I actually watched SEC REWIND.  :lol:

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Actually Sherman is quite familiar with JM strengths and the Alouettes are not scoring so far this year. He is given new life with Sherman. Manziel & Evans used to tear up Sherman's starting defense as the scout team when they redshirted as true freshmen. We were hearing all kinds of rumors about what was coming from the A&M practice field, which is where the JFF legend started.

I couldn't give two shits what he did against whomever in College.. He's dead meat.. June Jones knows it... Mike Sherman will know it , too!...

EDIT: 2 weeks ago .. June Jones said Johnny should be in the NFL.. then trades his sorry A$$.. That doesnt sound too promising for little Johnny...

44 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Then why did you bother to post and make premature predictions?

Because I can

10 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Oh and if any of you were interested.....

The name Alouette is a girl's name of French origin meaning "lark". Alouette and is often added to lists like Bird Baby Names and discussed in our forums with posts like "The Makeover Baby Name Game".

From the experts:

Alouette is a sweet Gallic twist in the stylish bird name genre made familiar via the charming Frenchchildren's song, Alouette, gentile alouette.....

French

Alouette symbolizes a player who was rescued from Schidt Town Cleveland.

12 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

It's from a French Children's song I learned in good ole Beaumont (Beautiful mountain), Texas that was more cajun than Texan.

Dang French- I had always wondered what the heck that song was about, hearing it dozens of times as a kid. I can navigate around a Bordeaux bottle when I see it printed,  Mis en bouteilles a chateau.   But when you start slurring stuff in a song forget it.

Nero knows my Spanish is much better, but still mostly only when I see it printed. Can hack my way through a newspaper. 

54 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

I wonder if he stills plans on "wrecking this league"?

He's toned down a lot of things these past couple of years. Plus he's married now and has a "gatekeeper".

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

I wonder if he stills plans on "wrecking this league"?

:) He'll have to wreck the CFL before he gets a shot at wrecking the NFL. I don't like his odds.

2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

:) He'll have to wreck the CFL before he gets a shot at wrecking the NFL. I don't like his odds.

Then there is the Arena League...but that thing has almost all but folded up shop.  There are only 4 teams left in that system:

http://www.afldigital.com/index.cfm?view=standings

Not sure why they bother at this point.

Wow I didn't realize that the former (about) 16 team league in 2003 was so bad off.....and further the decline of American football at all levels, I quit watching it years back. Had a PA buddy follow the Pittsburgh Gladiators in their one season around 1986.

And the new IFL.....The Indoor Football League (IFL) is a professional indoor American footballleague created in 2008 out of the merger between the Intense Football League and United Indoor Football. The league is the second highest tier in indoor/arena football behind the Arena Football League (AFL).[citation needed] IFL players earn a minimum of US$250 per game played (before taxes). The season is typically about 14 games long, plus playoffs of two or more rounds......

T.O. was involved in that? Six or so teams? Never followed it at all.

25 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Wow I didn't realize that the former (about) 16 team league in 2003 was so bad off.....and further the decline of American football at all levels, I quit watching it years back. Had a PA buddy follow the Pittsburgh Gladiators in their one season around 1986.

And the new IFL.....The Indoor Football League (IFL) is a professional indoor American footballleague created in 2008 out of the merger between the Intense Football League and United Indoor Football. The league is the second highest tier in indoor/arena football behind the Arena Football League (AFL).[citation needed] IFL players earn a minimum of US$250 per game played (before taxes). The season is typically about 14 games long, plus playoffs of two or more rounds......

T.O. was involved in that? Six or so teams? Never followed it at all.

Does it still exist?

further the decline of American football at all levels, 

I think this is a way off base statement by you.  Just because people don't want to watch bastardized football does not mean football is declining. Quite the opposite.  It seems that two new football leagues are cropping up:

https://aaf.com/

The Alliance of American Football....starting Feb 9, 2019.  8 teams in southern cities. (too pussy to play in the north in winter)  Lots of big names associated with it. Polian and others.  Games to be shown on CBS.  Cities include Phoenix, San Diego, San Antonio, Salt Lake,  Birmingham, Atlanta, Orlando, Memphis.  (only 2 current NFL cities)

And there is the potential for the nex XFL in 2020.   Owned as you know by Vince McMahon.....but Oliver Luck...Andrew Luck's Dad, from Cleveland, has been named its new Commish.

https://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/this-is-the-xfl-again-controversial-football-league-set-to-return-in-2020/

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

further the decline of American football at all levels, 

I think this is a way off base statement by you.  Just because people don't want to watch bastardized football does not mean football is declining. Quite the opposite.  It seems that two new football leagues are cropping up:

Off base? Check out this screenshot on is American football decreasing in popularity.  Check the sources too.....

Screenshot_2018-07-24-20-09-04.png

Pee-wee, high school, college, professional it's dropping across the board including the super bowl.

......oh edit add, what do you think is going to happen to the life blood of any sport money if these trends continue over time?

We boomers, like me, we're born and raised and lived American football I'm not so sure about the current under 40 crop.

Archived