THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Yes off-base completely off-base. If you want if you were not based and you wouldn't have two new league is starting up

When either of the leagues are in existence in five years, come back to this. 

Football leagues start up all the time. Virtually none of them last. 

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I expect the AAF to hang around.  They have a TV contract with CBS.  (and to be honest with you....I think they may in fact have the blessings of the NFL....as I think they believe that it may serve as somewhat of a minor league/feeder league for them)  The new XFL, however, I give little chance of actually getting off the ground.

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Yes off-base completely off-base. If you want if you were not based and you wouldn't have two new league is starting up

I'm talking football in the USA, all of it not some small obscure part of it which is getting canabalized by other small insignificant indoor leagues.

If the AFL which was somewhat popular in the 2000s died this probably will too before too long.

Off base? No.

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Name all of the American professional football leagues besides the NFL particularly indoor mini leagues that have been successful over time, _________ .

That's right, none. Even the old AAFL and more recently AFL ended up merging with the NFL.

These niche, gadget, cute leagues just lose any generational appeal and die. 

Even the mighty NFL has it's problems right now, just read up......and that is not off base.  ;)

12 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Name all of the American professional football leagues besides the NFL particularly indoor mini leagues that have been successful over time, _________ .

That's right, none. Even the old AAFL and more recently AFL ended up merging with the NFL.

These niche, gadget, cute leagues just lose any generational appeal and die. 

Even the mighty NFL has it's problems right now, just read up......and that is not off base.  ;)

You are stupidly off base.  Are there minor concerns?  No doubt.   Are their concussion issues? Yes.  

Are ratings down a bit?  Yes....but then ratings are down for ALL sports....for ALL TV.  Compare the ratings for TV shows from like the 80s compared to now...and you would conclude that TV is dead because of it.   I guess we can now declare soccer dead in this country...because, after all, I won my bet with Hoorta who said the World Cup Final would get more than the 17 million viewers that it got in 2014.   It only got like 2/3ds of the viewers of 2014.  Only like 11 million viewers.

And other leagues?  How many leagues now compete with the NHL, NBA, MLB? None, nada.  

And, of course, given the record revenues the NFL is reaping....and the record money being paid its players...I doubt any economists would agree with your off base ideations.  So, yes, Chicken Little....you can go crying that the sky is falling....because you just sound like you got hit on the head with a rock.

14 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Off base? Check out this screenshot on is American football decreasing in popularity.  Check the sources too.....

Screenshot_2018-07-24-20-09-04.png

Remember here were discussing American professional tackle football not every major sport but there are some mutually inclusive trends.

Also not many people try to say I'm stupidly off base and succeed......well except maybe my wife. (hey but I do enjoy eating :lol: ).

3 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Remember here were discussing American professional tackle football not every major sport but there are some mutually inclusive trends.

Also not many people try to say I'm stupidly off base and succeed......well except maybe my wife. (hey but I do enjoy eating :lol: ).

How many high schools and how many colleges have shut down their football programs?  None that I have heard of.  And if they have done it, they have done it for totally other reasons   (e.g...when the University of Chicago quit the Big Ten to become a D-III school....it had all to do with academic priorities, and none of the reasons you suggest...plus, that happened like 80 years ago).

Maybe not many people say you are stupidly off base...because you are not so stupidly off base as you are on this occasion....except. of course, as you say...in the eyes of your wife.   But then who here that is married doesn't "enjoy" the same situation. 

Oh BTW many pee-wee and high schools around the country have cutback or quit, some local here even in football crazy texas, can't field 11 man football anymore going to 7/7 or zero. Many 1-A and particularly smaller colleges are getting squeezed.

See the article above from the Chicago Trib, only 4 teams left in their one league, and that's Chicago not Podunk on and on it goes.....

Just ask my wife, oh wait she's not a sports junkie like me she reads books and does other cerebral things.

B/R BLEACHER REPORT -

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2726124-report-shows-continuing-drop-in-high-school-football-players

........The number of high school football players dropped by 25,901 participants in 2016-17, according to a report by National Federation of State High School Associations

Football still had the highest number of overall participants, however, with 1,086,748 in total last season. An additional 61 schools added football to their athletic offerings in 2016-17 as well.

"While we are concerned when any sport experiences a decline in participation, the numbers do not substantiate that schools are dropping the sport of football," NFHS executive director Bob Gardner said. "The NFHS and its member state high school associations have worked hard to reduce the risk of injury in high school football, and we are pleased at the continued strength of the sport across the country."........continued in link......

AP - https://www.apnews.com/66e699491a3b478293620c1e5069dc9e

........ELLICOTT CITY, Md. (AP) — On a cool and rainy afternoon during the first week of classes at Centennial High School in this well-to-do Baltimore suburb, about 50 members of the boys’ cross-country team sauntered across the parking lot for their after-school run.

Meanwhile, about 30 kids in helmets and pads were going through drills on the pristine artificial turf field at the school’s hillside football stadium.

“It used to be the other way around,” said Al Dodds, Centennial’s cross-country coach, who has 64 boys on his team this year. “Now, there’s a small turnout in football and cross-country is huge.”..........

........The decline would be much steeper if not for a handful of states in the South and the West. Throughout the Northeast, the Midwest and the West Coast, in communities urban and rural, wealthy and working-class, fewer kids are playing football.

“I’ve never been interested in football,” said 16-year-old Zach Deming, a cross-country runner at Centennial with the solid build of a defensive back. “I’m afraid of getting hurt badly, like getting a serious concussion .”........... continued in link.......

In closing remember too that the US population or interest in sports isn't really dropping but interest in American tackle football is, so?

But no I'm not switching to sock-her. <_<  

NJ SCHOOLS DISBANDING FOOTBALL -  The tip of the iceburg.....   https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/the-leading-edge-of-a-much-larger-iceberg-new-jersey-high-school-disbands-football-team/2017/08/22/e13b6516-836e-11e7-82a4-920da1aeb507_story.html?noredirect=on&amp;utm_term=.c5f571d3c2ce

Screenshot_2018-07-25-12-06-30.png

28 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Jesssss-mjp, this looks like a Cal litany of over-responses on the Poly board.😜

Oh no, I'm in the poli board status!  :o

......OK I deleted one. But I learned a lot more like.......

Led by the largest one-year increase in girls participation in 16 years, the overall number of participants in high school sports increased for the 28th consecutive year in 2016-17, according to the annual High School Athletics Participation Survey conducted by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS).

Based on figures from the 51 NFHS member state high school associations, which includes the District of Columbia, the number of participants in high school sports reached an all-time high of 7,963,535. The increase of 94,635 participants from 2015-16 is the largest one-year jump in overall participation since the 2008-09 school year......... BUT BOYS FOOTBALL DROPPED!

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

You are stupidly off base.  Are there minor concerns?  No doubt.   Are their concussion issues? Yes.  

Are ratings down a bit?  Yes....but then ratings are down for ALL sports....for ALL TV.  Compare the ratings for TV shows from like the 80s compared to now...and you would conclude that TV is dead because of it.   I guess we can now declare soccer dead in this country...because, after all, I won my bet with Hoorta who said the World Cup Final would get more than the 17 million viewers that it got in 2014.   It only got like 2/3ds of the viewers of 2014.  Only like 11 million viewers.

And other leagues?  How many leagues now compete with the NHL, NBA, MLB? None, nada.  

And, of course, given the record revenues the NFL is reaping....and the record money being paid its players...I doubt any economists would agree with your off base ideations.  So, yes, Chicken Little....you can go crying that the sky is falling....because you just sound like you got hit on the head with a rock.

I'll just say this Gip- those "record revenues" aren't sustainable. Sooner or later- there's going to be tipping point, and I'm saying sooner. The NFL has saturated the market with games. Who's watching Thursday night football? I'd hazard a guess only if your team is playing, or you happen to be a total football junkie. The ratings are down, which follows the advertisers won't be willing to shell out as much money for ad spots- and TV is the NFL's real cash cow. 

You can bet Directv is going to downgrade their bid when their contract runs out in 2022. Yeah, I checked the numbers. Direct is paying the NFL $1.5 billion a year for Sunday Ticket. That works out to $68 for every Direct subscriber- whether they order the package or not. You've seen it on the board- guys have figured out how to get the games for free via streaming, or go to NFL.com and get the games for a lot less. 

Game isn't for the guy making $50 k a year with a wife and two kids anymore. Easily could cost $500 bucks to take the family to a game- and you have to have a load of discretionary cash to shell out for $10 beers and $6 hot dogs at a game. Those billion$$+ stadiums are being built for the $100k+ a year crowd. Notice Boo said it costs you $100 bucks just to park at Jerrah's Stadium in Dallas?  

And Gip, soccer isn't a mainstream sport in the USA-yet. But- hate to tell you, MLS is now averaging 20,000+ in attendance, more than hockey. LOL, apparently as much interest as regular season NBA.  

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Oh no, I'm in the poli board status!  :o

......OK I deleted one. But I learned a lot more like.......

Led by the largest one-year increase in girls participation in 16 years, the overall number of participants in high school sports increased for the 28th consecutive year in 2016-17, according to the annual High School Athletics Participation Survey conducted by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS).

Based on figures from the 51 NFHS member state high school associations, which includes the District of Columbia, the number of participants in high school sports reached an all-time high of 7,963,535. The increase of 94,635 participants from 2015-16 is the largest one-year jump in overall participation since the 2008-09 school year......... BUT BOYS FOOTBALL DROPPED!

I have a suggestion for you...if you think it is what you claim:   Stop watching football and get the fook off this board.

54 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I'll just say this Gip- those "record revenues" aren't sustainable. Sooner or later- there's going to be tipping point, and I'm saying sooner. The NFL has saturated the market with games. Who's watching Thursday night football? I'd hazard a guess only if your team is playing, or you happen to be a total football junkie. The ratings are down, which follows the advertisers won't be willing to shell out as much money for ad spots- and TV is the NFL's real cash cow. 

You can bet Directv is going to downgrade their bid when their contract runs out in 2022. Yeah, I checked the numbers. Direct is paying the NFL $1.5 billion a year for Sunday Ticket. That works out to $68 for every Direct subscriber- whether they order the package or not. You've seen it on the board- guys have figured out how to get the games for free via streaming, or go to NFL.com and get the games for a lot less. 

Game isn't for the guy making $50 k a year with a wife and two kids anymore. Easily could cost $500 bucks to take the family to a game- and you have to have a load of discretionary cash to shell out for $10 beers and $6 hot dogs at a game. Those billion$$+ stadiums are being built for the $100k+ a year crowd. Notice Boo said it costs you $100 bucks just to park at Jerrah's Stadium in Dallas?  

And Gip, soccer isn't a mainstream sport in the USA-yet. But- hate to tell you, MLS is now averaging 20,000+ in attendance, more than hockey. LOL, apparently as much interest as regular season NBA.  

Like you said.....MLS only plays once per week....like football,  not 82 games a season like hockey and basketball....and they don't play in arenas like those sports either.  They play in huge stadiums because the field is so big.    But you are right....they should go back to playing in arenas.  The indoor soccer game was a lot better than the outdoor game.

As for the TV revenue numbers...I think we have a few years to see about that.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I have a suggestion for you...if you think it is what you claim:   Stop watching football and get the fook off this board.

No chance, Ive always loved football my #1 sport besides I'll be 68 in two months football will be here as it is for a while yet.

And the claims aren't mine I'm merely stating  what the NFL, NCAA, NHFS and others know and the real media report.

GO BROWNS, BUCKEYES, YSU, and football  fans everywhere. 

The Montreal Alouettes announced on Tuesday that Manziel would start Friday's game against his former team, the Hamilton Tiger-CatCoach Mike Sherman hinted Monday that Manziel would be named the starter.  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000943265/article/johnny-manziel-to-start-cfl-game-friday

"We didn't trade for Johnny to have him sit on the bench, so obviously, Johnny's come over here to get reps and become the best player he can become, and we stated that process today," Sherman said, via CBC. "You probably all figured it out yourself, but when you have two players you wait till game time to make that announcement.

"It doesn't make sense to do it any sooner."

Sherman, it turns out, didn't wait until game day to name the starter.

The Alouettes acquired Manziel in a trade with the Tiger-Cats last week. Manziel did not see action in Montreal's loss last Thursday night -- despite fans' chanting to see the QB in a blowout loss.

Manziel will become the fourth starter and fifth quarterback to play for 1-5 Montreal this season. Friday's game is slated to air at 7:30 p.m. ET on ESPN2.

Friday will mark the first time Manziel starts a football game since Dec. 27, 2015, a Week 16 Cleveland Browns loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. The No. 22 overall pick in 2014 spent two seasons in Cleveland, much of which was spent dealing with off-field issues. The 6-foot Manziel's on-field play in the NFL didn't inspire either. In eight starts, and 14 appearances, over two seasons, he compiled 1,675 yards passing, 6.5 yards per attempt, a 57.0 completion percentage, seven TD passes, seven INTs, and took 22 total sacks.

If the CFL is a stepping stone to an NFL return -- as Manziel hopes -- the QB must show he's improved both on and off the field for any team to consider giving him another chance.

Show's ya how bad the Alouettes are.

......Doug Flutie carved out a nice career up there.  He's a little like Flutie....except that Flutie is a wicked nice person. 

2 hours ago, 7moses7 said:

Will it be his SWAN song?

Is anyone curious enough to tune in just to see what happens?

After all he's been a long running soap opera for BROWNS fans,  team plus of course the media since his Aggie days. 

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

holy Shmuck, stop talking about this moose knuckle already.

Merge this with the other thread and for the love of all that's holy, let it die

Moose Knuckle.. Hilarious'!

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Is anyone curious enough to tune in just to see what happens?

After all he's been a long running soap opera for BROWNS fans,  team plus of course the media since his Aggie days. 

Sure, I'll tune in for 10 minutes.  :)  

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The warning signs were all there. I'm getting the jump on 'em for 2.0   LOL! 🤣

Yeah BROWNS #1 draft pick and future savior of the franchise gets caught from behind by old white guy.  :lol:

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

Sure, I'll tune in for 10 minutes.  :)  

Yeah the only problem I have is that it's still the CFL with a bunch of basically nobodies that either couldn't make it or were washed up in the NFL.

MOST were still US D-1A or D-1AA or some lower players. Shows you how tough the NFL really is to make a team, even a taxi squad.

Still like a car wreck I'll say "don't look" but still still might look anyway.......probably the highest rated CFL game of the year.

Archived