Jump to content
THE BROWNS BOARD

anyone own a 10mm semi auto?


Recommended Posts

 9mm has seemed to have taken over the market due to so many really good concealed carry pistols out there, whereas the 10mm tends to be a much heavier/larger pistol. I still own my old standby .357 Mag, but it's just for show because it has adjustable sights and a long barrel so I can impress the younguns that the old dog can still hit a bullseye on the range. LOL!🤩

If you live in Alaskan Grizz and Brown bear country, I hear from an in-law there are a lot of folks who carry it along with bear spray.  I hike black bear country and carry bear spray and a 9mm for the noise if nothing else. But I keep a 147 gr Win. Bonded Ranger loaded mag in it because the penetration it carries would stop one up close when spray and noise don't work. My preference is that in any encounter between animals and me both get away clean. Don't really like the idea of orphaning any cubs which is the most likely reason a black bear would ever attack. Generally they are pretty shy in the wild if you exclude Yellowstone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I own and shoot a Glock 20. It went out of style because it is pricey, snappy, and the factory loaded stuff from the major ammo producers is loaded down to .40 pressure. The ammo offerings from Buffalo Bore and Underwood are good. 

I went with a steel guide rod and heavier recoil spring. It made my peppier 10mm reloads pleasant to shoot. You can get it up to low level .41 (yes .41) magnum pressures and velocity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

that g20 liked to snap on u eh? i.read its a pretty heavy gun tho. but i also read the new g40 is slightly lighter than the 20 but maybe because longer barrell and heavier slide it doesnt flip as much.

old man hickock was firing that 40 like a boss and he was commenting on how nice it was even with the federal nuke load

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

 9mm has seemed to have taken over the market due to so many really good concealed carry pistols out there, whereas the 10mm tends to be a much heavier/larger pistol. I still own my old standby .357 Mag, but it's just for show because it has adjustable sights and a long barrel so I can impress the younguns that the old dog can still hit a bullseye on the range. LOL!🤩

If you live in Alaskan Grizz and Brown bear country, I hear from an in-law there are a lot of folks who carry it along with bear spray.  I hike black bear country and carry bear spray and a 9mm for the noise if nothing else. But I keep a 147 gr Win. Bonded Ranger loaded mag in it because the penetration it carries would stop one up close when spray and noise don't work. My preference is that in any encounter between animals and me both get away clean. Don't really like the idea of orphaning any cubs which is the most likely reason a black bear would ever attack. Generally they are pretty shy in the wild if you exclude Yellowstone.

where do u go hiking where theres bear?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

 9mm has seemed to have taken over the market due to so many really good concealed carry pistols out there, whereas the 10mm tends to be a much heavier/larger pistol. I still own my old standby .357 Mag, but it's just for show because it has adjustable sights and a long barrel so I can impress the younguns that the old dog can still hit a bullseye on the range. LOL!🤩

If you live in Alaskan Grizz and Brown bear country, I hear from an in-law there are a lot of folks who carry it along with bear spray.  I hike black bear country and carry bear spray and a 9mm for the noise if nothing else. But I keep a 147 gr Win. Bonded Ranger loaded mag in it because the penetration it carries would stop one up close when spray and noise don't work. My preference is that in any encounter between animals and me both get away clean. Don't really like the idea of orphaning any cubs which is the most likely reason a black bear would ever attack. Generally they are pretty shy in the wild if you exclude Yellowstone.

Too bad, we had a black bear struck & killed by a car yesterday on I-77 in Akron.

Either the black bear population is getting bigger, or the humans are taking more of their habitat...possibly a combination of both.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Too bad, we had a black bear struck & killed by a car yesterday on I-77 in Akron.

Either the black bear population is getting bigger, or the humans are taking more of their habitat...possibly a combination of both.

and a month ago another one was hit in trumbull same way. im going hiking alot in the metroparks with the niece and nephew and these bear incidents coupled with a coyote incident an acquaibtance of mine had with his two little children....means its open carry time. 

my ruger american should be plenty for these 2 to 300lb blackies, but the rangers are admitting these are yoingsters likely immigrating from PA. get any bigger and u might need something larger for em. which is why im interested possibly in a 10mm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

What's wrong with the 1911?

WSS

its a personal thing, i absolutely loathe tbe way it feels in my hand. ive only fired .45 but thats its original round. it feels all wrong the instant i hold it. it feels like a large gun that went too hard on the jenny craig. i have almost a jj watt like hand spread so that prob has something to do with it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

that g20 liked to snap on u eh? i.read its a pretty heavy gun tho. but i also read the new g40 is slightly lighter than the 20 but maybe because longer barrell and heavier slide it doesnt flip as much.

old man hickock was firing that 40 like a boss and he was commenting on how nice it was even with the federal nuke load

Snappy if you use the recommended pills from it. But most people think Glock 40s are too peppy. 

Honestly, for me it is just a luxury round. Same with .357 Sig. Cute and expensive ways to reach roughly the same result of any other average self defense caliber. Pistols are still just a shitty substitute for a long gun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, LogicIsForSquares said:

Snappy if you use the recommended pills from it. But most people think Glock 40s are too peppy. 

Honestly, for me it is just a luxury round. Same with .357 Sig. Cute and expensive ways to reach roughly the same result of any other average self defense caliber. Pistols are still just a shitty substitute for a long gun.

would u be confident with a 10mm/357 against couple hundred lb black bears?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Still the most pleasant handgun I shoot. I carry a Glock just for capacity. I like having too much as opposed to not enough.

Not a good shooter, huh?😁🤠

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

where do u go hiking where theres bear?

My brother has a home in Estes Park, Colo. and I hike trails all over the place including Rocky Mountain National Park. Being ex-Infantry I carry topographical maps and a compass and go off the marked trails a lot, so better safe than sorry. My brother has a great video of two fully grown black bears on his back porch going after the hummingbird and bird feeders one night. Him yelling at them did nothing at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Not as a good shooter, huh?😁🤠

My brother has a home in Estes Park, Colo. and I hike trails all over the place including Rocky Mountain National Park. Being ex-Infantry I carry topographical maps and a compass and go off the marked trails a lot, so better safe than sorry. My brother has a great video of two fully grown black bears on his back porch going after the hummingbird and bird feeders one night. Him yelling at them did nothing at all.

and u think a 147g 9mm round would be enough for them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

and u think a 147g 9mm round would be enough for them?

That particular round is the deepest penetrating one I could find, especially at that high a weight. Of course I'd rather use my .357 mag, but it's single action and I'd be lucky to get a second round off as opposed to several with the 9mm. Naturally I'm spraying bear spray as long as it lasts as the first line of defense. The studies indicate it's far more effective in real recorded bear attacks than any handgun.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

That particular round is the deepest penetrating one I could find, especially at that high a weight. Of course I'd rather use my .357 mag, but it's single action and I'd be lucky to get a second round off as opposed to several with the 9mm. Naturally I'm spraying bear spray as long as it lasts as the first line of defense. The studies indicate it's far more effective in real recorded bear attacks than any handgun.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm

there were some 124g's that penned deeper. i imagine theres some straight spent nuclear fuel put in there to achieve that. are those 147's subsonic? i thought i read tgey might be

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

there were some 124g's that penned deeper. i imagine theres some straight spent nuclear fuel put in there to achieve that. are those 147's subsonic? i thought i read tgey might be

I had thought about the Win. 124 +P or 147 +P, but I believe in practicing with the round I carry and my Ruger indicates you can use +P but that it shortens the gun's life over time if used regularly. So I went with the slower round with high penetration. That standardized testing I linked showed the speed @ 966 ft/sec out of the barrel average on 5 shots and the bullet loses none of its weight start to finish. Some non-bonded will lose bits and pieces.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I had thought about the Win. 124 +P or 147 +P, but I believe in practicing with the round I carry and my Ruger indicates you can use +P but that it shortens the gun's life over time if used regularly. So I went with the slower round with high penetration. That standardized testing I linked showed the speed @ 966 ft/sec out of the barrel average on 5 shots and the bullet loses none of its weight start to finish. Some non-bonded will lose bits and pieces.

do you have the American 9mm?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

That particular round is the deepest penetrating one I could find, especially at that high a weight. Of course I'd rather use my .357 mag, but it's single action and I'd be lucky to get a second round off as opposed to several with the 9mm. Naturally I'm spraying bear spray as long as it lasts as the first line of defense. The studies indicate it's far more effective in real recorded bear attacks than any handgun.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm

I thought I read where bear spray has been ineffective, compared to firing a weapon...i'll have to go find that one again.

BTW, I have a question - with all the stupid quibbling over mag size..

since I'm going to buy a new gun - do you stick with ten round mag, or go with a 12 or 15? I imagine being in some state where they

would have some stupid law about "over ten rounds". Just wondering.

  I think based on research alone, I'm really liking the idea of a sig 320 with the military grade trigger. Who knows. Wife is going visiting her 95 yr old Dad down in Texas, so between gardening, etc etc etc...I'll be able to go shoppin with nothin better to do than watch TV too much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

I thought I read where bear spray has been ineffective, compared to firing a weapon...i'll have to go find that one again.

BTW, I have a question - with all the stupid quibbling over mag size..

since I'm going to buy a new gun - do you stick with ten round mag, or go with a 12 or 15? I imagine being in some state where they

would have some stupid law about "over ten rounds". Just wondering.

  I think based on research alone, I'm really liking the idea of a sig 320 with the military grade trigger. Who knows. Wife is going visiting her 95 yr old Dad down in Texas, so between gardening, etc etc etc...I'll be able to go shoppin with nothin better to do than watch TV too much.

I would probably skip the Sig 320 for a little bit until they completely get their stuff squared away. They were having problems with guns going off when dropped. They supposedly fixed it but are now running into QC issues. I really hope they have it all in the past. They won the contract to replace Beretta with U.S. troops. But that usually boils down to money.

If you wanted to carry something with a 12+ or 15 capacity, get a Glock 19. It is the boring choice but there is a reason for that. They are everywhere and parts/mags are dirt cheap.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

do you have the American 9mm?

Nope, I got myself a nice small LC9s 9 mm 3 in. barrel strictly for concealed carry. It's only .9 inches thick and weighs only 17.2 ounces. It has almost zero detectability even with just a long enough T-shirt.

23 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

I thought I read where bear spray has been ineffective, compared to firing a weapon...i'll have to go find that one again.

BTW, I have a question - with all the stupid quibbling over mag size..

since I'm going to buy a new gun - do you stick with ten round mag, or go with a 12 or 15? I imagine being in some state where they

would have some stupid law about "over ten rounds". Just wondering.

  I think based on research alone, I'm really liking the idea of a sig 320 with the military grade trigger. Who knows. Wife is going visiting her 95 yr old Dad down in Texas, so between gardening, etc etc etc...I'll be able to go shoppin with nothin better to do than watch TV too much.

No restrictions on handgun magazine capacity in Texas Cal. Texas LTC allows both concealed and open carry, but I do not know if in reciprocity from Ohio if they allow other than what your license there allows if it is a CC license. I would just assume CC only.

https://www.gunlaws101.com/state/law/texas/magazine-capacity-restriction

And here's a you tube by a guy who researched it for pistol vs bear spray.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Nope, I got myself a nice small LC9s 9 mm 3 in. barrel strictly for concealed carry. It's only .9 inches thick and weighs only 17.2 ounces. It has almost zero detectability even with just a long enough T-shirt.

No restrictions on handgun magazine capacity in Texas Cal. Texas LTC allows both concealed and open carry, but I do not know if in reciprocity from Ohio if they allow other than what your license there allows if it is a CC license. I would just assume CC only.

https://www.gunlaws101.com/state/law/texas/magazine-capacity-restriction

And here's a you tube by a guy who researched it for pistol vs bear spray.

 

Exactly what I was taught on spray vs weapon.  However, in grizzly country I would have a 45-70 marlin.  You ever seen one in the wild you would understand why.  They are big mofo's.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...