THE BROWNS BOARD

Study has Browns as one of the WORST fan bases

DieHardBrownsFan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BULLSHEEIT!!!

It just has to be re-awakened & that starts THIS YEAR!!

We were the TOP Fanbase in all of football & will be again.

Mike 

We know who is the best. 

Here's the result of MY 'study'.

The teams that are winning year in and year out will have good fan bases.

The teams that are perennial losers each and every year will have a lousy fan base.

Whew!  That was really difficult.  I had to conserate really haaaard.

When I was young, a few of us would decide on a Saturday night that we would go to a Patriots game the next day.  We'd drive up to Foxborough, buy tickets, and sit just about anywhere we wanted.  (How good is the Patriots fan base again?)

How about the Aint's?   A few hundred people with bags on their heads.  Anyone remember the Dolts?  (Colts)

4 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Yeah, I saw that- everybody loves a winner. Cowboys fans are FRAKs. Where were all those New England fans- until they started winning all those Super Bowls? Just like you saw 49ers gear everywhere when Montana and Young were playing- now, not so much.   BTW, the Chiefs have a fanatical fan base- just go to a Tailgate at Arrowhead sometime if you don't believe me.  

As my pal said in an email those rankings pretty much parallel W-L record. 

We may see who the real fan bases are for real in the upcoming years. 

......HOW do protests, concussions and other non-gameplay issues affect fanbases?

It’s no secret that the NFL has undergone some tumultuous seasons of late. Between concussions, protests, declining ratings, and the overall politicization of virtually everything in American life, the NFL suddenly isn’t quite the pristine icon it once was. It’s still far and away the dominant American sport, even if, as Lewis notes, the effects of outside forces are becoming more evident.

“There may be ‘signals’ in the data such as changes in TV ratings or higher no-show rates, but it’s tough to tell if these are blips or trends,” Lewis writes. “My conjecture is that the concussion issue and the anthem protests are both very significant problems for teams and the NFL brand. The issues related to concussions may lead to lawsuits and decreased youth participation … [T]he anthem protests have inserted some ugly ‘politics’ into what is fundamentally an entertainment category. If the product becomes less fun, why would you expect fans to enjoy it as much? And while the phrase ‘less fun’ might seem to trivialize the issues, spending on sports entertainment is about as discretionary as it gets.”..........

GO BROWNS, due for some of these "fan" numbers to change for the better with even a mediocre team improvement in 2018 and even better in 2019.

God, these things are so stupid. You mean to tell me that an awful team doesn't have people pouring out to by merchandise? You mean to tell me that a fan base made up of hardened NE Ohio people aren't following the Browns in droves on social media?

GTFO of here with that nonsense. The fact the Browns still have as many loyal fans as we do based on the decade plus of terrible football puts us toward the top, if anything. Anything else is just nonsense.

39 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

God, these things are so stupid. You mean to tell me that an awful team doesn't have people pouring out to by merchandise? You mean to tell me that a fan base made up of hardened NE Ohio people aren't following the Browns in droves on social media?

GTFO of here with that nonsense. The fact the Browns still have as many loyal fans as we do based on the decade plus of terrible football puts us toward the top, if anything. Anything else is just nonsense.

When Baylor disappeared into the woodwork for about 20+ years they kept a tarp over one endzone and the rest of the stadium had about 1/3 to 1/2 sparsely populated with Baylor fans and the rest with more populated opponents fans. Once they got serious with a real coach and a real new stadium just across the river from the main campus, they turned into a competitive team again and filled the stadium with Baylor fans paying high prices to be there. Amazing what putting a  real team on the field can do for a fan base and easy to get down on them when on a losing streak.

That's where the Browns are today, but a competitive team will change everything. It's time!🏈🏆

This is based on pure ignorance.   And it is based on how bad the team has been, NOT on how bad the fan base is.   20 years of losing.

Many other teams with as bad of a performance as that would have had like -0- attendance etc.   And any number of them would likely have packed up and moved.

No....what we have had are bad owners, bad GMs, bad coaches, bad QBs, bad teams,  but most definitely not a bad fan base.

What I consider a bad fan base?  How about one where just like 2 years after winning multiple Super Bowls a team gets only 35-40 K to see them play.

16 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

When Baylor disappeared into the woodwork for about 20+ years they kept a tarp over one endzone and the rest of the stadium had about 1/3 to 1/2 sparsely populated with Baylor fans and the rest with more populated opponents fans. Once they got serious with a real coach and a real new stadium just across the river from the main campus, they turned into a competitive team again and filled the stadium with Baylor fans paying high prices to be there. Amazing what putting a  real team on the field can do for a fan base and easy to get down on them when on a losing streak.

That's where the Browns are today, but a competitive team will change everything. It's time!🏈🏆

The Jacksonville Jaguars did basically the exact same thing.

AR-801250506.jpg

This is hardly worth talking about.  Despite the YEARS of atrocious football, management, turnover, and draft bull-crap, this franchise STILL has avid fans all over the place.  And if this team ever IS GOOD, you're going to bear witness to a sea of brown and orange throughout the country.  Promise.

59 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

This is hardly worth talking about.  Despite the YEARS of atrocious football, management, turnover, and draft bull-crap, this franchise STILL has avid fans all over the place.  And if this team ever IS GOOD, you're going to bare witness to a sea of brown and orange throughout the country.  Promise.

My son went to teach at an a tribal football camp on a reservation in western NM last week and brought me back a Cleveland Browns Orange and Brown lettered coffee mug with Orange & Brown tribal markings all around the bottom half of the mug. Browns are back baby!

In general and there are other factors but the trend is DOWN......

FROM SI, https://www.si.com/tech-media/2018/01/03/nfl-ratings-decline-espn-fox-nbc-network-tv

By RICHARD DEITSCH 
January 03, 2018

........There is no sugarcoating the news for the National Football League when it comes to viewership: The numbers are heading in the wrong direction—and quickly.

Per Austin Karp of Sports Business Daily, viewership for NBC’s Sunday Night Football, ESPN’s Monday Night Football and the shared Thursday Night Football package (between NBC, CBS, NFL Network and Amazon) all declined for the second straight season. NBC averaged 18.2 million viewers for its set of games, the package's lowest figure since 2008, when it averaged 16.6 million viewers. MNFtrended up for most of the season before a couple of late-season dogs sent the series to its lowest audience ever. TNF averaged 10.9 million viewers, including 13 Thursday night games, one Sunday morning game, two Saturday afternoons, one Saturday night and a Christmas Day game (on a Monday afternoon). Karp said the TNF mark was the lowest since broadcast networks became partners in the package in 2014.

The raw numbers (avg. viewership):

NBC’s Sunday Night Football
2017: 18.175 million
2016: 20.323 million
2015: 22.522 million

ESPN’s Monday Night Football
2017: 10.757 million
2016: 11.390 million
2015: 12.896 million

Thursday Night Football (NBC/CBS/NFL Network)
2017: 10.937 million
2016: 12.438 million
2015: 12.425 million

Ad Age’s Anthony Crupi, who along with Karp is one of the experts in this space, reported that the NFL’s regular-season ratings overall were down about 9% versus its audience a year ago. Crupi said what jumped out at him was the disappearance of NFL blockbuster games that pull a 15.0 household rating. Only one game, Crupi said, broke the 15.0 rating barrier in 2017—the Dec. 17 Patriots-Steelers matchup on CBS’ late national window (15.2.) Last season there were three 15-plus games: Giants-Cowboys (15.5), Cowboys-Packers (15.8) and Cowboys-Steelers (16.4). All three aired in Fox's late national window. Crupi said there were 13 15.0-plus games across the networks in 2015.

The positive news—and there is positive news: Sunday Night Footballwas the most-watched show in primetime in viewership and trounced the top scripted series (CBS’ Big Bang Theory) by four million viewers. SNF had the highest adult 18-49 rating (6.1) among any show for the 10th consecutive fall season and accounted for eight of the 10 most-watched primetime telecasts between Sept. 7, 2017 and Dec. 25, 2017 (Fox’s World Series games were the other two). ESPN’s Monday Night Football was the No. 1 show on cable TV (ahead of The Walking Deadand HBO's Game of Thrones). And Crupi pointed out in a recent storythat, according to Nielsen live-plus-same-day data, NFL games accounted for 37 of the year's top 50 broadcasts, or nearly three-quarters (74%) of the most-watched programs on TV. That marked a 32% increase compared to 2016, when the NFL had 28 of the top 50 most-watched programs, and was flat versus the 37 top broadcasts the NFL had in the previous year........CONTINUED IN LINK. .......

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Yes, so, any talk about the NFL being on decline is pure Horse Hockey.

I'm not sure about that, even three straight super bowls have been straight declines.

The Millenials do not act like us old boomers that's for sure!

11 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I'm not sure about that, even three straight super bowls have been straight declines.

The Millenials do not act like us old boomers that's for sure!

LOL, and that means my bet with Gip- the World Cup Final will outdraw regular season SNF,  MNF, and TNF.  :)   

It may still be the dominant sport, but you can't argue the numbers are going in the wrong direction. Over saturation. Very few fans are tuning into TNF unless their team happens to be playing. MHO is they should ditch it.  

Ranking the browns fan base dead last is ridiculous. We have had 1 good season since half the fan base has been alive and we still have a loyal following. Here in Louisville there is a restaurant that has the brown backers (I only go to that place for UFC fights) and 2 other bars that have a large browns following. I find that pretty impressive that a team that has been the laughing stock of the league has presence in a city that's like 8 hours away.

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

LOL, and that means my bet with Gip- the World Cup Final will outdraw regular season SNF,  MNF, and TNF.  :)   

It may still be the dominant sport, but you can't argue the numbers are going in the wrong direction. Over saturation. Very few fans are tuning into TNF unless their team happens to be playing. MHO is they should ditch it.  

Eh, I think the simplest reason is that my (millenial) generation is cutting the cord at an exponential rate, and for some stupid reason the NFL hasn't caught up to it.  They're still holding on to deals as we know that mean people are stuck watching ONE game, or nothing at all. We're sticking to our guns of not buying into the package (I'm not this year), and as such viewership is down. To be perfectly honest, it's very (very) simple to get a quality stream of a game that is more reliable than Directv ever was. That Directv package was straight garbage unless you pumped through the TV directly.

What's going to happen eventually is the billion dollar deal they make is going to be less profit than doing it themselves. They'll break off with directv and if they have any common sense, provide their own app with tiered pricing. Be able to watch YOUR team, and then decide if you want more after that. If you don't know, ESPN+ as it's called is actually doing that now. You can pick I believe two? (i don't use it) baseball games a day for $5 bucks a month.

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

I thought our bet was that it will not draw 18 million viewers.   Do you want to extend it to cover Sunday/Monday/Thursday night football?

There is one good reason that Thursday night numbers are not as good:  Most of the country cannot watch it.  It is  mostly on the NFL Network, which the vast majority of the audience does not get with their cable.   I know I don't.

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

I never liked TNF from the very beginning! Leave Tue-Thur, Sat for the NCAA, Fri for high school and some NCAA, Sun and Mon for professional football and a few select NCAA games.

Just the way god designed it. 

20 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I never liked TNF from the very beginning! Leave Tue-Thur, Sat for the NCAA, Fri for high school and some NCAA, Sun and Mon for professional football and a few select NCAA games.

Just the way god designed it. 

You're a Browns fan and still believe in a god?

Adorable. 🤣

13 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

You're a Browns fan and still believe in a god?

Adorable. 🤣

Yes in the beginning he created heaven and earth, 30 years later he allowed the BROWNS into the NFL and it was good......they won it all in year one. :lol:

On 6/26/2018 at 8:17 PM, PoeticG said:

We know who is the best. 

For many years way back the BROWNS were a FORBES top 5 most valuable NFL franchise up there with Dallas and Washington. 

Oh and this little tidbit:

A 2006 study conducted by Bizjournal determined that Browns fans are the most loyal fans in the NFL. The study, while not scientific, was largely based on fan loyalty during winning and losing seasons, attendance at games, and challenges confronting fans (such as inclement weather or long-term poor performance of their team).[32] The study noted that Browns fans filled 99.8% of the seats at Cleveland Browns Stadium during the last seven seasons, despite a combined record of 36-76 over that span.......

They need a shot of winning football right now.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

For many years way back the BROWNS were a FORBES top 5 most valuable NFL franchise up there with Dallas and Washington. 

Oh and this little tidbit:

A 2006 study conducted by Bizjournal determined that Browns fans are the most loyal fans in the NFL. The study, while not scientific, was largely based on fan loyalty during winning and losing seasons, attendance at games, and challenges confronting fans (such as inclement weather or long-term poor performance of their team).[32] The study noted that Browns fans filled 99.8% of the seats at Cleveland Browns Stadium during the last seven seasons, despite a combined record of 36-76 over that span.......

They need a shot of winning football right now.

Yes, this is a much better analysis than how many jerseys and t-shirts are bought..or other stupid shite like that.

On 6/26/2018 at 7:17 PM, PoeticG said:

We know who is the best. 

Steelers Fans are tough to top. You can actually wear opposing team colors and not have to get into anger BS in their stadium. They also would never accept schidt like Myles Garrett asking Jerry Jones to save him.

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Yes, this is a much better analysis than how many jerseys and t-shirts are bought..or other stupid shite like that.

Yeah, I agree, who cares about schidt like revenue? Everyone knows that money and profit don't mean anything in business. So Coke sells more than Bonertown root beer.............. SO what, let's invest in Bonertown.

On 6/28/2018 at 11:25 AM, The Gipper said:

Yes, so, any talk about the NFL being on decline is pure Horse Hockey.

Actually, it isn't. The TV viewership numbers are not relevant because they make predictions of viewers in the many venues/establishments have TV screens all over the place.

Only a small part of those viewership numbers are individual households, and most of it is a prediction. Music royalties and listening stats are done the same way. When my royalty checks come, really all writers, there are predictions made about what people listen to on juke boxes, on radio, on TV etc.

I am getting more "hits" and listens on my music than ever, but, revenue is down. The NFL is losing money, the "viewership numbers" are fake bullschidt for people like you Gip, people that have no street smarts and tink that if something is written on paper it really really really means something. The biggest example of this is GLOBAL WARMING...........it violates textbook science and scientific law, out the ying yang.....BUT BUT BUT, some academian who sits on his cuunt all day put out a STUDY............... so it must be real.

If you want to know the health of NFL viewership? Look at revenues. It is IMPOSSIBLE for revenues to fall and fan participation be up. But again, Gip......you are gullible. Gip The Gullible. Your new moniker.

I don't know about the worst, but the dumbest? Quite possibly. Seriously, we draft #1 #1, and go from 15-1  to 0 -16, and fans here think we had a good draft. 

On 6/28/2018 at 9:32 AM, mjp28 said:

viewership for NBC’s Sunday Night Football, ESPN’s Monday Night Football and the shared Thursday Night Football.....all declined for the second straight season

One word.......Da da da DAAAA......'oversaturation'

.........that, and the Browns stink so bad all the time that after watching OUR game I lose total interest in watching any more football.

-----------------   public service announcement.  -  Saturn is at opposition (which means it's on the opposite side of the earth as the sun...and it's at one of it's closer distances to us).  If you've got any type of a telescope...now is a 'great' time to view the best sight in our observable universe.

Archived