THE BROWNS BOARD

Fantasy Football Fun

Does anyone have a good fantasy football story? Either at the draft, during the season, or someone on your team.

If you don't mind I will start with one.

I was in a money league about 5 years ago and I was playing week 16 for the Superbowl (I think). Either way, it was the last game of our season. We were tied going into Monday night football and I had only one player, Justin McCarrens. He didn't have anyone playing. He had a couple catches for like 8 years = no points. No shit, he runs back a kick with like 4 minutes left in the game. Won $750. Thank you Justin McCarrens.

Does anyone have a good fantasy football story? Either at the draft, during the season, or someone on your team.

If you don't mind I will start with one.

I was in a money league about 5 years ago and I was playing week 16 for the Superbowl (I think). Either way, it was the last game of our season. We were tied going into Monday night football and I had only one player, Justin McCarrens. He didn't have anyone playing. He had a couple catches for like 8 years = no points. No shit, he runs back a kick with like 4 minutes left in the game. Won $750. Thank you Justin McCarrens.

That's awesome.

This isn't NEARLY as positive but if it helps others in the future - it's worth sharing. I came about as close to picking the fantasy football version of Mike Junkin as it gets.

I had the first pick of a draft and evidently my clicker was way down in the middle of the list of RBs I had rated chronologically. Not aware of this, I couldn't erase the cocky smile on my face thinking I'm selecting Tom Brady for a projected minimum of 40 TDs in my head. Therefore, when I clicked select, I became the dazed and confused owner of Ronnie's Brown at #1 overall in the 2008 for one of my non-money leagues. About that cocky smile...

As a strange twist of fate would have it - can you guess which player (Ronnie's Brown or Tom Brady) would take more snaps from center in 2008? Well, it wasn't Tom Brady. Not only that, my backup QB was Peyton Manning so things worked out pretty freakin good for me. I also had Drewe Brees. Can't help it - I like the SMART ones.

It's never really about HOW you draft - it's usually more about how you overcome injuries and busts. In fact, this last year - the drafts had me in 1st place in 2 leagues for the majority of the regular season. While that SOUNDS nice and all, it had me overrating those 2 teams while others jockeying their rosters for the final run (and post season) made their teams considerably better than mine.

- Tom F. (Needless to say, don't drink and draft. Hacker Pschorr is GREAT when you're NOT drafting fantasy football rosters)

That's awesome.

This isn't NEARLY as positive but if it helps others in the future - it's worth sharing. I came about as close to picking the fantasy football version of Mike Junkin as it gets.

I had the first pick of a draft and evidently my clicker was way down in the middle of the list of RBs I had rated chronologically. Not aware of this, I couldn't erase the cocky smile on my face thinking I'm selecting Tom Brady for a projected minimum of 40 TDs in my head. Therefore, when I clicked select, I became the dazed and confused owner of Ronnie's Brown at #1 overall in the 2008 for one of my non-money leagues. About that cocky smile...

As a strange twist of fate would have it - can you guess which player (Ronnie's Brown or Tom Brady) would take more snaps from center in 2008? Well, it wasn't Tom Brady. Not only that, my backup QB was Peyton Manning so things worked out pretty freakin good for me. I also had Drewe Brees. Can't help it - I like the SMART ones.

It's never really about HOW you draft - it's usually more about how you overcome injuries and busts. In fact, this last year - the drafts had me in 1st place in 2 leagues for the majority of the regular season. While that SOUNDS nice and all, it had me overrating those 2 teams while others jockeying their rosters for the final run (and post season) made their teams considerably better than mine.

- Tom F. (Needless to say, don't drink and draft. Hacker Pschorr is GREAT when you're NOT drafting fantasy football rosters)

You had Brady, Manning, and Breese on the SAME TEAM?????? What..do you only have 3 guys in this league or something?. Wow.. I play in a 14 team league and you would be blessed to get any of those 3 guys.. and no one has the luxury of drafting 3 qb's...

drafting ronnie brown #1.. You must have been totally pissed at yourself.. Sounds like you were redeemed in the long run.

i remeber it well. larry johnson had just had a strong finish to the season and was projected to perform well. With the first pick some one picks LARRY JOHNSON. i then pick ladanian tomlinson in the 2 spot who then goes on to put up a record breaking season. somewhere along the way i manage to trade robbie gould and someone else for Gates who was off to a poor start and jones drew during his rookie season before he broke out. i won the league by 1 point in the final match-up. i also picked up Colston in week 2 after he played the browns. i hear one of the annoncers say "Brees really likes the way this colston kid plays" he was a rookie i figure what the hell and he ends up also having TE eligibility in Yahoo leaues .

2 years ago when Roddy White was coming into his own I traded him mid season and can't even remember who for. Anyway, first round of playoffs I'm playing my buddy

Taco and all he had going on Monday Night is Roddy and I had a 13 point lead on him with nobody left. Roddy catches a hail mary pass good for 7 points in my league at the end of the half just short of the endzone but it shouldn't have been ruled a catch. That gave him 14 points and he was held catchless the rest of the game.

Taco goes on to win our league and win $1650. Each team he beat the rest of the way I would have crushed. In essence, I cost myself that money by trading hm in the first place but that one miraculous bullshit catch was the ultimate clincher.

Story of my life.

You had Brady, Manning, and Breese on the SAME TEAM?????? What..do you only have 3 guys in this league or something?. Wow.. I play in a 14 team league and you would be blessed to get any of those 3 guys.. and no one has the luxury of drafting 3 qb's...

drafting ronnie brown #1.. You must have been totally pissed at yourself.. Sounds like you were redeemed in the long run.

NO, that's just it Sez. I THOUGHT I was drafting Tom Brady at #1 overall as I hit select and evidently my cursor had Ronnie's Brown highlighted so far down my page that I was unaware of this (out of sight out of mind) as I scrolled up to Tom Brady. I got Ronnie Brown with the #1 pick of the draft INSTEAD of Tom Brady which was why I said I pulled off the fantasy football equivalent to drafting Mike Junkin. After that, I appropriately named my team "Drink Beer."

My QBs were Drew Brees and Peyton Manning in damage control. There were only 8 teams in this league we had at work so it wasn't TOO tough to get good people. As fate would have it, Tom Brady never even made it to halftime in week 1 and I DOUBT I would have gone after BOTH Brees and Peyton if I already had Brady at #1 overall.

- Tom F.

My first year with the Brownsboard fantasy football, I went to draft when it was my turn, and I couldn't pick.

Then I started getting "Hey, Cal, hurry up !" and realized I couldn't draft by double clicking on the guy I wanted,

and that the guy I wanted was just drafted the pick before me, because I drank some coffee and didn't notice...

So, I quickly got my next guy drafted. And in a series of "crap, he just took my next player again", I ended up

drafting the best I could.

Well, during the season you have injuries here and there, and a time or two, I'd have byes on two of my players

after I clearly tried to avoid that in my players list.

And, I refuse to draft Steeler and Ratbird players out of principle.

So, as the season went on, I had to scour the available players list and do a lot of drops and pickups, trying to

have a viable team that might get me a win.

And, to everybody's, especially Flugels' amazement, I kept winning often enough,

that I won the Virtual Trophy. Except, there wasn't one yet, until I pouted about it, and I think

Flugels lobbied to Stan to get me a Virtual Trophy so he could stop laughing at me.

And, to everybody's, especially Flugels' amazement, I kept winning often enough,

that I won the Virtual Trophy. Except, there wasn't one yet, until I pouted about it, and I think

Flugels lobbied to Stan to get me a Virtual Trophy so he could stop laughing at me.

Actually Cal, I had the MOST fun watching you win of anybody ever. Period.

The mere dynamics of having you AND Rich in the same league had entertainment value written all over it. It was like a breath of fresh air vrs waiting to exhale. Then you started pulling off consistent victories followed by your weekly quote of: "So THIS is how you play fantasy football. I likesies!"

I hit the deck laughing just about every time you did it.

- Tom F.

ROF,L !!!!!!

Thanks, Man ! That was the first time I ever played. You fantasy Brownsboard folks are TOUGH competition !

It's been a huge amount of fun every year, seriously.

I think I'll draft Charlie Frye as my third qb... again...@@

(btw, Mr. Flugels, I sent you an important pm)

It was probably 7-8 years ago. I was in a playoff matchup against my good friend. Passing TDs and receiving TDs were both worth points. I was down 11 or 12 points.... The Colts were playing on TV. My last remaining player was Marvin Harrison and his was Peyton Manning. My friend called me toward the end of the game bragging about how he had won because there was no way Harrison could make up that point difference while Peyton was the one throwing to him.

All of the sudden, while we're on the phone...the Colts run an option in which Marcus Pollard threw a TD bomb to Harrison. The announcers mention that that had been the only pass of the entire season for the Colts that wasn't thrown by Manning. I win.

It was probably 7-8 years ago. I was in a playoff matchup against my good friend. Passing TDs and receiving TDs were both worth points. I was down 11 or 12 points.... The Colts were playing on TV. My last remaining player was Marvin Harrison and his was Peyton Manning. My friend called me toward the end of the game bragging about how he had won because there was no way Harrison could make up that point difference while Peyton was the one throwing to him.

All of the sudden, while we're on the phone...the Colts run an option in which Marcus Pollard threw a TD bomb to Harrison. The announcers mention that that had been the only pass of the entire season for the Colts that wasn't thrown by Manning. I win.

Nice.

2003 Oakland vs. Green Bay

Need 3 points from my kicker. (sebastian)

Brett Farve becomes superman after his dad passes away, Green Bay kills Oakland 41-7. Oakland doesn't even attempt a FG.

I finish second. All i fricken needed was 3 points to win the whole shebang.

That's awesome dude. Great story.

And I know that situation well. I've gone into several monday night games where I had one WR left, and my opponent had that WR's QB throwing to him. And your situation is the only way you'll ever win. HB pass, or if the WR gets the ball on a reverse.

I'm getting itchy for fantasy football and just football in general. Speaking of which, would anybody be interested in doing a mock draft for the upcoming season? I know it's a little early but it would give us something to do.

That still depends on what kind of scoring system and league you're in. That could have been Manning's only TD pass of the game and he may have thrown 3 picks. If he completed most of his passes to Harrison and didn't do much after that Harrison could still put up way bigger numbers in a league like mine. Example is Harrison goes for like 9 for 151 and 1. Manning goes for 19-35 1 and 3 for like 219 yards. In my league that is good for 14 points total. Harrison on the other hand would put up 51 points. 2 points a catch, 1 point per 10 yards, 6 for TD and 8 bonus points for YPC and 4 for yards. Manning got 1 bonus point for 50-60% completion rate, 3 points for completions (1 per 5), 10 points for yards (1 per 20) and 6 for TD and -2 per INT. As you can see that's not even out of the realm of possibility and Harrison blew his ass away 51-14. Hell, take away the 3 picks even and he still only puts up 20. It all depends on your league and this is why I love my primary league and what makes it so unique from others. It flat out rewards guys for having good games.

I'm getting worked up again for FF already. I was so saturated last year I was contemplating chilling out a little this year but screw that, it's go time.

Archived