THE BROWNS BOARD

Not so Special Teams

jiggins7919

Before the season started, I stated I was terrified regarding the status of our special teams. I was far and away from the only fan to feel this way, and virtually EVERY one of my very rational fears came to fruition. In fact, the only fear that DIDN'T come true was one of our idiot returners fumbling a punt or kickoff. Alas, most of the concern played itself out like a predictable Greek tragedy, and while the blocked FG is the shining example of our futility, I'd like to bring everyone's attention to the amazing fair catch called by Peppers without a soul around him. 

While in overtime, in a sudden death situation, Peppers cost our team a chance at decent field position after we already punted at least once, maybe twice on our patented "3 and out" offense. Peppers would've gotten a minimum of 15 yards, possibly more. Could he MAYBE have made a play and broken some tackles? I doubt it, but wasn't he supposed to be a playmaker? Peppers catches that punt cleanly and gets across the 50, we're a play or two away from making it happen. From winning. 

Take a look at this article I just read about our special teams, and the corresponding new coach we hired, and see if you are feeling better. 

During the club’s Week 1 tie with the Pittsburgh Steelers, the special teams had a game-winning field goal blocked in overtime, struggled to control Pittsburgh’s return men on kicks, had a bad punt after a blocker was driven back into punter Britton Colquitt, and committed three penalties.

While it didn’t result in a penalty, a fair catch in overtime by punt returner Jabrill Peppers when he had an open field in front of him did cost the Browns some valuable field position.

Special teams coordinator Amos Jones looked to rectify that problem this week with a plan to replace Peppers with Antonio Callaway as the primary punt returner, but was overruled by head coach Hue Jackson, as Jones told clevelandbrowns.com:

“Coach made that decision. Obviously, we are going to stick behind it as coaches. We are going to do what the hell we are told. The biggest thing is it is just going to be a learning curve. You are talking about a guy (Callaway) that is still a year out of football, and the nuances of the game and particularly this league.”

Normally it might raise a few eyebrows if a head coach, even one in the “CEO” role like Jackson, contradicts the wishes of his coordinators. After all, the coordinators work with the players directly and presumably have an idea of the best fits for their units.

But in the case of Jones, it might be such a bad idea to have someone looking over his shoulder.

Jones spent the previous five years as the special teams coordinator with the Arizona Cardinals, who decided not to renew his contract after the 2017 season. During his time in Arizona, the special teams units were near the bottom of the league’s rankings on an annual basis.

How bad was it? ESPN’s Josh Weinfuss detailed a few “highlights” near the end of last season:

(In 2017), they’re ranked in the bottom five in the NFL in eight special-teams categories: expected points added by special teams (31st), field goal percentage (29th), opponent field goal percentage (32nd), net yards per punt 28th), opponent net yards per punt (30th), opponent yards per kick return (28th), average starting field position on kickoff returns (30th) and opponent field goal blocks (30th).

They were ranked 30th in expected points added by special teams the past two seasons. They’ve were ranked 32nd in net yards per punt in 2016 and 2015, and 30th in 2014. They were in the bottom three in the NFL in opponent net yards per punt in three of the past five years, including this season.

It was so bad that there is a website - fireamosjones.com - dedicated to detailing the transgressions.

It has only been one game, and as has often been the case with the Browns in recent years there is “nowhere to go but up” for the special teams.

And it is good that Jackson is paying attention to what Jones is up to with the special teams.

But that also raises a big unanswered question.

Why the heck did Jackson hire Jones in the first place?

This team will need the ST in particular the FG team to steal a few wins with this schedule.......just see week 1, oh so close. 0h-oh-one. :o

I'm going to do my best to remain patient with all the units, especially ST and the offense, although I do have your same concerns.

Our kicker is shaky. We commit too many penalties on our own returns. 

Let's see how they perform in a dome tomorrow. No elements to blame, so hopefully improvement is there.

21 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

I'm going to do my best to remain patient with all the units, especially ST and the offense, although I do have your same concerns.

Our kicker is shaky. We commit too many penalties on our own returns. 

Let's see how they perform in a dome tomorrow. No elements to blame, so hopefully improvement is there.

Unfortunately elements done have much to do with the poor punt coverage we see. It's ugly.

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Honest question: 

Did anyone truly expect the Browns to make that field goal at the end of overtime? 

I didn't. 

When it was 7-21 and then 21-21 late I thought is this the beginning of the new killer instinct?

i-knew-it-it-was-too-good-to-be-true.jpg

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Honest question: 

Did anyone truly expect the Browns to make that field goal at the end of overtime? 

I didn't. 

Nope... When we won the OT toss, I would have taken the wind.

9 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Hopefully they can build somewhat from tying the reigning AFCN superpower in the near future like maybe Sunday......but they'll need every bounce and cut down on the stupid penalties. 

GO BROWNS +10.....of course! 

6 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Honest question: 

I didn't. 

I thought Scho was gonna take it all the way, but once I saw the flag(Block in the back), it was pretty apparent nobody was winning the game.

Without the flag, Zane kicks the FG easy.

In the beginning of overtime, I predicted the game would end a tie. Both teams made too many mistakes in a SLOPPY game

1 hour ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

I thought Scho was gonna take it all the way, but once I saw the flag(Block in the back), it was pretty apparent nobody was winning the game.

Without the flag, Zane kicks the FG easy.

In the beginning of overtime, I predicted the game would end a tie. Both teams made too many mistakes in a SLOPPY game

I just watched the play again today... That might have been the dumbest illegal block I've ever seen from Garrett. It wasn't even close. 

18 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

My 5-9-1 prediction doesn't look so stupid now, eh? I just hope they get busy on the 5 part. :mellow:

........edit, oops late night typo 5-10-1, yes I've heard they play 16 games now.

3 hours ago, 7moses7 said:

You look stupid with that 15 game prediction 

I was just checking to see if you all were paying attention.  :lol:

5-10-1, final answer Regis.

7 minutes ago, Opal312 said:

Is kicker Dan Bailey still available?

I think this is current:

2018 NFL Free Agency: Star rating is out of five. Age listing as of Sept. 1, 2018. 
Follow me @walterfootball for updates. 

Kickers: 

1. steelersb_logo.gif Chris Boswell (RFA), K, Steelers. Age: 27. star.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifhalfstar.gif 
    Tendered by Steelers (2nd round) 

Chris Boswell is one of the NFL's top kickers. He's hit his field goals at a 90 percent or better clip in two of his three seasons, and he's 6-of-8 from 50-plus in his career. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2018KP.php#ixzz5RHLa3LnT

• Dan Bailey, K, Cowboys. Age: 30. star.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifhalfstar.gif 
    Dan Bailey has been one of the best kickers in the NFL over the years, minus 2017 when he was injured. Save for 2017, Bailey has never hit worse than 84.4 percent of his field goals. 

• falconsb_logo.gif Matt Bryant, K, Falcons. Age: 43. star.gifstar.gifstar.gif 
    Re-signed with Falcons 

If it wasn't for Adam Vinatieri, we'd all be marveling about how amazing it is that Matt Bryant has been kicking so incredibly well into his 40s. Despite his age, Bryant was 34-of-39 in 2017, including a ridiculous 8-of-9 from 50-plus. 

• coltsb_logo.gif Adam Vinatieri, K, Colts. Age: 45. star.gifstar.gifstar.gif 
    Re-signed with Colts (1 year) 

Adam Vinatieri somehow continues to be one of the top kickers in the NFL despite his age, as he has barely missed any 50-yard field goals over the past several seasons. He's bound to regress soon, but people have been saying that for years.

• Read more: http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2018KP.php#ixzz5RHNTL7o2

Denzel Rice is our best open field tackling guy on ST unit. https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/defense-special-teams-solo-tackles   Denzel Rice did the same playing for a small school in NC. Denzel Rice outplayed Janis, winning ST position spot..Tackling stats on ST's does not show up on game stat sheets:wacko:.. What I don't get with the new kicking rules? is adjusting to a shorter field with less full speed/contact to get there, is why does Amos continue not to use more LB's? instead of DB's/WR/TE/RB's,Myles? Burgess missed last week,Bello is gone..play some LB's may get us the next Tank Carder?   

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Browns special teams started going down the tubes when they stopped accumulating gritty Italian guys.

Where have you gone Ventrone and Costanzo? Browns nation turns its lonely eyes to you, ooh ooh ooh. 

paulie-gualtieri-cf1a80eb-645a-4ed7-b33b-72e1d35dd13-resize-750.jpeg

Archived