THE BROWNS BOARD

After 3 games, the Good, Bad, and Ugly

thenew23

By the numbers... it's pretty clear where improvements are needed.  See for yourself...

THE GOOD (Top 12)
   -Offense
Rush Yards/game 134.3 (5th)
Rush TDs/game 1.7 (4th)
Rush 1st downs/game 7.7 (5th)
Red zone TD% 71.4% (7th)
4th Qtr Pts/game 9 0 (8th)
2nd half Pts/game 17.0 (3rd)
   -Defense
Scoring D 19.7 pts/game (11th)
Pts/play. 289 (8th)
Yds/play 5.0 (6th)
QB Comp% 61.68% (8th)
Pass yds/game 229 (12th)
Punts/play 0.09 (T-4th)
1st half pts allowed/game 8.0 (8th)
   -Overall
Turnover margin +9 (1st)
Penalties/game 6.7 (11th)
Penalty yds/game 57.0  (12th)

THE BAD (17th to 24th)
   -Offense
Pts/game  20.0 (20th)
Yds/game 325.7 (22nd)
TOP avg  29:56 (17th)
   -Defense
Redzone TD%  60% (17th)
4th qtr pts/game 7.0 (18th)
2nd half pts/game 11.7 (21st)

THE UGLY (25th to 32nd)
   -Offense
Pts/play .274 (26th)
Yds/play 4.5 (29th)
1st half pts/game 3.0 (32nd)
3rd down conv rate 33.33% (26th)
QB Comp% 54.21% (31st)
Pass yds/game 191.3 (28th)
Pass yds/attempt  5.4 (27th)
Sacks allowed/game  4.7 (32nd)
Team passer rating  71.5 (29th)
   -Special Teams
Xtra pt % 66.67% (32nd)
FG%  57.14% (29th)
Net yds/punt  35.6 (29th)

MIDDLE (13th to 16th)
Rush Yds/carry 14th 4.1
D Yds/game 13th 338.3
Scoring margin 15th +1

57 minutes ago, thenew23 said:

By the numbers... it's pretty clear where improvements are needed.  See for yourself...

THE GOOD (Top 12)
   -Offense
Rush Yards/game 134.3 (5th)
Rush TDs/game 1.7 (4th)
Rush 1st downs/game 7.7 (5th)
Red zone TD% 71.4% (7th)
4th Qtr Pts/game 9 0 (8th)
2nd half Pts/game 17.0 (3rd)
   -Defense
Scoring D 19.7 pts/game (11th)
Pts/play. 289 (8th)
Yds/play 5.0 (6th)
QB Comp% 61.68% (8th)
Pass yds/game 229 (12th)
Punts/play 0.09 (T-4th)
1st half pts allowed/game 8.0 (8th)
   -Overall
Turnover margin +9 (1st)
Penalties/game 6.7 (11th)
Penalty yds/game 57.0  (12th)

THE BAD (17th to 24th)
   -Offense
Pts/game  20.0 (20th)
Yds/game 325.7 (22nd)
TOP avg  29:56 (17th)
   -Defense
Redzone TD%  60% (17th)
4th qtr pts/game 7.0 (18th)
2nd half pts/game 11.7 (21st)

THE UGLY (25th to 32nd)
   -Offense
Pts/play .274 (26th)
Yds/play 4.5 (29th)
1st half pts/game 3.0 (32nd)
3rd down conv rate 33.33% (26th)
QB Comp% 54.21% (31st)
Pass yds/game 191.3 (28th)
Pass yds/attempt  5.4 (27th)
Sacks allowed/game  4.7 (32nd)
Team passer rating  71.5 (29th)
   -Special Teams
Xtra pt % 66.67% (32nd)
FG%  57.14% (29th)
Net yds/punt  35.6 (29th)

MIDDLE (13th to 16th)
Rush Yds/carry 14th 4.1
D Yds/game 13th 338.3
Scoring margin 15th +1

Please post those same numbers in a month. That should be interesting.

Mike

I still can't believe that the bulk of you thought Black Tarkenton #3 would be anything but total schidt for us. That guy was never worth a good schidt.

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

what's amazing, is how the squealer and saint offenses went wild after being crunched by the Cleveland defense.

The Browns' defense ROCKS.

Ya know, I'm not sure I totally thought this through just yet. So let's look at the Saints and the Steelers offensive outputs during the games not played against the Browns. Steelers averaging around 34 points, Saints are at 40! WTF. When they played us? Try 20. 

The Steelers game could've been a fluke. After all, that rain was filthy. But the Saints game was IN New Orleans, and they're scoring points in a crazy way. Each week is a new test, each game coming with its own challenges. This week? Challenges all over the place. From the crappy dirt and grass field, to the insanity of the Raiders' crowd, to the arm talent of Derek Carr. When I see the Oakland Raiders, I don't see a winless team at all. I see a talented team that didn't close the deal. 

You know what has also happened this year? We got some luck! Drew Brees missed two touchdown throws. When's he ever done THAT? LOL. We've recovered every fumble, somehow, and any one of them likely could've taken that victory from us. Turnovers come in bunches, and I just hope we keep forcing them. Perhaps my single biggest frustration with our offense was scoring 10 points off the NINE FREAKING TURNOVERS our defense caused. To hammer this point home, we forced 13 ALL of last year. 

10 points. And SEVEN of those came after a drive that started at the 1 yard line when Jabril Peppers returned a fumble and tried to lose the ball through the end zone for a touchback, but failed. So without those 7 points, we have (get ready).....THREE POINTS off of 8 turnovers!! AAAAAHHHHHHHHH! 

Whew, ok...I feel better. Sorry about that. 

Anyway, back to my point. I think Baker has the ability to make teams pay. Maybe not right away, because I know he's young, but he'll make teams pay for turning it over, and Tyrod simply couldn't. I can't help but think what happens if Baker has a chance to throw to an open Callaway down the field. What happens if Baker has 6 turnovers gifted to him by the Steelers. What happens when Baker gets 4 quarters against an NFL defense, one that doesn't have a good pass rush? 

Oh wait, that we'll actually GET to see. SOON. 

MUST....CONTAIN....EXCITEMENT.... BUT.... CAN'T. 

5 hours ago, Comeonman said:

So the majority of the ugly is on Tyrod and Zane. Guess that’s why they both won’t play anymore. 

QB play, slow starts, and very poor STs. If these 3 are improved, which hopefully Baker (and our new K) can accomplish, then we should see far more Ws than we have been accustomed to seeing.

Hopefully will also help with TOP, which will help the 2nd half D. 

Surprisingly, doing ok with penalties and scoring in the red zone.

Getting Ogbah and Kirksey back should really help, and hopefully help our red zone D - which really needs to tighten up...

3 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

I still can't believe that the bulk of you thought Black Tarkenton #3 would be anything but total schidt for us. That guy was never worth a good schidt.

Or even worth a cabbage fart...

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Or even worth a cabbage fart...

It is amazing Mah Nikka, There is about 400,000 pounds of bullschidt posts blasting me for calling Tyrod just another run-first,  Black Tarkenton who not only would stink, but would get hurt early on because his run-first dullard of a brain would have him getting hit when he should have thrown the ball. This guy was so obvious total crap that I swear to you I believed the only reason he got support on TBB is because the guys were running a parody. You called ryor getting hurt by week 4, I believe. THe dumb bastard didn't even get that far.

2 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

It is amazing Mah Nikka, There is about 400,000 pounds of bullschidt posts blasting me for calling Tyrod just another run-first,  Black Tarkenton who not only would stink, but would get hurt early on because his run-first dullard of a brain would have him getting hit when he should have thrown the ball. This guy was so obvious total crap that I swear to you I believed the only reason he got support on TBB is because the guys were running a parody. You called ryor getting hurt by week 4, I believe. THe dumb bastard didn't even get that far.

Yup... In buffalo he had a bit of luck.. But then many forget he got pulled for schidt performances.. I have said it.. you have said it,, Rich has said it.. "It's the QB " "It's always the  muthaphuckin QB".. "Teams go as they're QB goes"... U gotta no QB?.. U gotta no wins.. its dat fukken simple.. He got hurt by week 3.. I think We both said/agreed , it or he , would go no further than 4 games.. This didnt require Kreskin like abilities to know this was gonna happen.... It's what the little dung beetle is.. I say Dung Beetle because thats what the little mudda fukkah looks like with the pig skin , running around back there.... I remember when we traded for him.. My heart just sank... This kid Baker comes in there.. No reps with the 1's and transmogrified this team into a professional looking team the instant he stepped onto the field.. The whole envionment changed.. The lineman guarded, protected and pulled when needed.. Baker called plays.. audibled.. and led them to victory... I haven't had this much fun since Kosar was slingin the rock...

10 hours ago, thenew23 said:

QB play, slow starts, and very poor STs. If these 3 are improved, which hopefully Baker (and our new K) can accomplish, then we should see far more Ws than we have been accustomed to seeing.

Hopefully will also help with TOP, which will help the 2nd half D. 

Surprisingly, doing ok with penalties and scoring in the red zone.

Getting Ogbah and Kirksey back should really help, and hopefully help our red zone D - which really needs to tighten up...

The slow starts are GOING to get us killed soon. We've been lucky enough to contain the opposition, somewhat, in the first half, but in 2 of the 3 games we've had our defense on the field WAY too much. In the Saints game, we actually played with a lead. That didn't go well, and a large part of the blame does go to Tyrod. If you're playing a potential playoff team on the road, and you have a lead with 5 minutes to go WITH the ball, you simply MUST be able to drain the clock down and seal the victory. You can't leave it up to the defense EVERY time. We had a two point lead, 5 minutes to go, and Tyrod didn't just fail to milk the clock, he threw a freaking PICK. 

You know what I'd do if I was Todd Haley? I'd START the game with Baker in the hurry-up offense. I really believe that Baker coming into the game with 1:45 until half time helped him tremendously. No time to think, just play. Many people may believe it's insanity to ask a rookie to start off running the no-huddle offense from the get-go, in his first road start, and normally I'd agree. But I'm not sure Baker is a normal rookie. It might help him find his groove, much like it did last week. We shall see! 

1 minute ago, jiggins7919 said:

The slow starts are GOING to get us killed soon. We've been lucky enough to contain the opposition, somewhat, in the first half, but in 2 of the 3 games we've had our defense on the field WAY too much. In the Saints game, we actually played with a lead. That didn't go well, and a large part of the blame does go to Tyrod. If you're playing a potential playoff team on the road, and you have a lead with 5 minutes to go WITH the ball, you simply MUST be able to drain the clock down and seal the victory. You can't leave it up to the defense EVERY time. We had a two point lead, 5 minutes to go, and Tyrod didn't just fail to milk the clock, he threw a freaking PICK. 

You know what I'd do if I was Todd Haley? I'd START the game with Baker in the hurry-up offense. I really believe that Baker coming into the game with 1:45 until half time helped him tremendously. No time to think, just play. Many people may believe it's insanity to ask a rookie to start off running the no-huddle offense from the get-go, in his first road start, and normally I'd agree. But I'm not sure Baker is a normal rookie. It might help him find his groove, much like it did last week. We shall see! 

I like the hurry up defense. It could set a nice tone. Let them receive, a quick three and out with our fresh D and a long drive not letting them think.

52 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You schtealing my schtick?

No.. as far as I know... There are no copyrights to that particular quote.. So I'm not worried about any infringements :P

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Worrying about the D's time on the field, but want the hurry-up O? Bit of an incongruity there...

I don't expect a slow start starting this week.

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Do you know where it comes from?

I remember it said in a movie.. I just can't remember what movie it was from.. It sounds like something Walter Matthau would say..

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Worrying about the D's time on the field, but want the hurry-up O? Bit of an incongruity there...

I don't expect a slow start starting this week.

No incongruity whatsoever. Regardless of how fast the offense moves, assuming it moves down the field even a LITTLE, it's still providing more rest than a 3 and out. 

Guys! WTF? 

Why are you discussing slow starts? Baker has never had a slow start? Phuck dudes, as soon as Baker took a snap the offense lit right up.

You guys STILL don't get it. It is NOT THE OFFENSE that starts slaw....................... it is BLACK TARKENTON / Stink Rod / RG4 that has been STARTING THE OFFENSE SLOWLY. You guys STILL don't get it........................... IT'S THE QB -  QB - QB - QB   THE QB.....IS THE OFFENSE.......................

What the offense did under this jackoff Tyrod is NOT what the offense will do with Baker Mayfield.

Seriously, worrying about this offense starting slowly is like saying the Browns offense with McDonald was identical to what it was with Kosar. Jesus, for all the intelligence on this board, at times the discussion is idiotic beyond my most nutty flaming posts.

Biitches.................quit the negativity already. DUDES............................ THIS IS A AGE OF BAKER MAYFIELD...........................What the hell are you people thinking by attaching what WAS, with WHAT IS?????????

If Tyrod Taylor was given a Lambo to drive, he would keep it in first gear................. NO BALLS.............NO SMARTS.....................

Put Baker in the Lambo and watch it quickly roar off into the horizon.

New Day, people. New day.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

It comes from the works of Bernard Cornwell.  You may have heard it in the TV series The Last Kingdom.

Doesnt ring a bell...

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Assuming it doesn't result in a 3 and out...

Yep. Not much worse than a hurry-up offense going 3 and out. Lol. 

Anyway, the point was that Baker entering the game in the 2 minute drill likely helped him, and it wouldn't surprise me if we went to hurry-up sporadically through the game. Baker definitely likes it, and it's obvious he has control of the offense. 

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

It comes from the works of Bernard Cornwell.  You may have heard it in the TV series The Last Kingdom.

I believe the term "cabbage fart" originally comes from the Old Testament. 

I could be wrong, but I believe Job mentioned having a bad case of them. 

Archived