THE BROWNS BOARD

Peppers

Tacosman

On 10/4/2018 at 12:23 PM, MLD Woody said:

I saw that yesterday and was wondering when it would get posted. Thank you for having that take on the article as opposed to bitching about Peppers for "complaining" or some nonsense.

He seems to know he needs to do better. The whole ST unit. And he thinks they'll all get there.

Harassing the guy in public is going overboard. Everything he said was 100% correct and this fanbase seems to turn on players really quickly. I'm also positive a lot of his encounters included a "Shmuck Michigan!" too. Maybe it's just a vocal minority.

Either way, I hope it all works out. Let's get more 3 safety sets on D now that Mitchell is out.

Needing to know he "needs" to get "better" and actually being able to "get better" are two different things Woody. I played competitive tennis for many years- and dammit- I knew I needed to "get better" if I ever wanted to have the dream of playing professionally. But the Good Lord didn't put it in my body to ever get to that level, even if I practiced every waking hour to "get better". Just because you were a super stud in college guarantees you nothing when you get to the Pros. The list of Heisman winners and Hopefuls that flamed out in the NFL is as long as my arm. 

But hey- if you're playing stinko, some guys are going to notice who you are (I have real bad celeb recognition, and I'd be clueless) and give you serious grief. I don't approve, but it goes with the territory when you're making millions for playing a game. 

On 10/4/2018 at 2:22 PM, choco said:

how very apologist of you.  harassing players is never ok...harassing anyone isn't ok.  it says more about how childish this fanbase is than anything else.  the impression i get is every player must be elite on every play depite the fact there are also pros on the other side.  

i used to come here to talk football...but this fanbase has largely turned into a bunch of whiny, pessimistic children who compete with each other as to whom can use the most hyperbole.  its insufferable, pathetic, and not at all indicative of an intelligent and rational fanbase.

just because "fan" came from fanatic doesn't give everyone an excuse to act like a dipshit.  players see these kinds of articles, then only consider coming to the land to collect a paycheck.  you reap what you sow.  so let those knee jerk, hyperbolic reactions flow....just reinforces the idea that this fanbase is one of the worst in pro sports.  im glad to have grow up in pittsburgh, otherwise i'd have turned out like a normal browns fan.  

We threw snowballs at Santa Claus, and cheered when Couch got hurt. We are now so over the top on 'Political Correctness", it about makes me want to puke.That said, this isn't exclusive of Cleveland, or Browns fans. I can't speak for other Fan Bases, but NY only loves you when you're a winner, and if you're a bum- you're going to hear it- even on the street. 

23 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

The issue, or at least one of the issues, is that many fans were lead to believe that Peppers was 1) an 'ELITE' athlete - he is not  2) had the ability to play multiple positions at a high level - he cannot (to date).   The first year being a wash in my eyes.   That team didn't really endear any player to our fans.   

But when you're a first round pick, especially a first round pick from UM, you had damn well better be worth the price the front office paid for you.  Otherwise you're going to incur a world of Sheet for that price and that tag.    Fair or not, that is the reality of the situation.  

1) Not sure about that Taco. 2) Ditto. 

Regarding UM, we loved Braylon when he had his pro bowl season, when he started dropping easy catches, not so mutch. Very little grief given to UM guy Leroy Hoard. Play up to your draft level Jabril. Having one great game doesn't make up for having ten crappy or mediocre ones. If you were a 5th round pick you wouldn't be getting any grief. Speaking of- how bout that 5th round pick Gerald Avery, whos getting a lot of love out performing his draft status? IMHO he's done more of his opportunity in 4 games than Peppers has in a year and 1.25.  

PS Woodster. I may hate Michigan with a Purple Passion on the Collegiate level, but when their guys matriculate to the Pro level, it's a different ballgame. If you really want to know, my intense dislike of Brady has nothing to do with the fact he went to Michigan, my opinion would be unchanged if he had gone to USC or Santa Yenez Community College. 

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not saying that a Michigan player can't be liked by Browns fans. I'm not saying that, even if they're a pro bowler, they'll be hated. If they kick butt they'll be liked. I get that. But being a Michigan player very clearly adds to the build up that leads to threads like these and comments like we've seen. Made a bad play, eh, I'll let it go. Made a bad play and went to Michigan, I'm gonna start posting crap. Look through this board and other comment sections on articles, it's very clearly true. 

I also can't believe we have some people on here basically defending the act of going up and harassing a player out in public at a CVS or something. 

9 hours ago, Tacosman said:

the problem with peppers is that he was taken as a safety....and not even the more important safety position....in the first freaking round.   

First round corners sometimes miss.  First round tackles sometimes miss.  A first round 'run stopper'(lmao) strong safety?  If you take that in the first round you better be 

drafting someone who is a sure thing to be really good.  

so he gets here and it's initially obvious that he is not special in any way.....he's slow as shite.  He doesn't run anywhere near as fast in pads as he does in workout clothes apparently.  We spent a first round pick on a guy who could be found as an udfa.

You sure you're not confusing him with another player.... again

12 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Why not just say I have to make plays and play better. 

"I love the Cleveland Browns; I love the city of Cleveland," Peppers said. "I love how passionate the fans are. Part of what I get is my fault. I'm not playing up to my potential and they see that as well so you can't fault people for feeling how they feel. You just go to take it with a grain of salt and do what you got to do to get better."

like that?

4 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

"I love the Cleveland Browns; I love the city of Cleveland," Peppers said. "I love how passionate the fans are. Part of what I get is my fault. I'm not playing up to my potential and they see that as well so you can't fault people for feeling how they feel. You just go to take it with a grain of salt and do what you got to do to get better."

like that?

Woody I will echo what some others have said. I am no fan of Michigan but once a Michigan player becomes a Brown he is "my guy" and I don't care about what college he went to. I think Peppers has potential and I would love nothing more to see that potential realized in Cleveland.

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

I'm not saying that a Michigan player can't be liked by Browns fans. I'm not saying that, even if they're a pro bowler, they'll be hated. If they kick butt they'll be liked. I get that. But being a Michigan player very clearly adds to the build up that leads to threads like these and comments like we've seen. Made a bad play, eh, I'll let it go. Made a bad play and went to Michigan, I'm gonna start posting crap. Look through this board and other comment sections on articles, it's very clearly true. 

I also can't believe we have some people on here basically defending the act of going up and harassing a player out in public at a CVS or something. 

I think we have long threads like this because you defend Michigan.

I don't care where he went to college, I'm not an Ohio St. fan.

If he went to Arizona, there would still be thread saying "what's wrong with this first round pick?" and he'd probably still be whining about being harassed at CVS. But he wouldn't have as many defenders.

He was really fast as a linebacker in college. But he is not fast for an NFL Safety or punt returner. So he needs to show us something else (Playmaker/Fearsome hitter) and he hasn't yet.

Zombo

34 minutes ago, Zombo said:

I think we have long threads like this because you defend Michigan.

I don't care where he went to college, I'm not an Ohio St. fan.

If he went to Arizona, there would still be thread saying "what's wrong with this first round pick?" and he'd probably still be whining about being harassed at CVS. But he wouldn't have as many defenders.

He was really fast as a linebacker in college. But he is not fast for an NFL Safety or punt returner. So he needs to show us something else (Playmaker/Fearsome hitter) and he hasn't yet.

Zombo

Yes, but if he was from Arizona I strongly doubt I'd go into the comment section or a thread and read "Shmuck Arizona!" a bunch. 

I'm not the only one here to defend him. I also like how it's my fault for defending Michigan. Like I should just let any objectively false posts go. It is what it is I guess...

He ran a 4.46 at the combine. Good for 7th out of 21 compared to this year's combine. Only one was under a 4.40. I'm not sure where this slow narrative came from. Minkah ran the same speed. Derwin ran a 4.47. 

5 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Yes, but if he was from Arizona I strongly doubt I'd go into the comment section or a thread and read "Shmuck Arizona!" a bunch. 

I'm not the only one here to defend him. I also like how it's my fault for defending Michigan. Like I should just let any objectively false posts go. It is what it is I guess...

He ran a 4.46 at the combine. Good for 7th out of 21 compared to this year's combine. Only one was under a 4.40. I'm not sure where this slow narrative came from. Minkah ran the same speed. Derwin ran a 4.47. 

I don't think any (rational) person is saying his speed was a "knock" in coming to the NFL. What I'm saying is in pads, on Sundays, the dude has looked exceptionally slow especially on punt returns. Blocking has been bad perhaps, but it's quite noticeable. As I said before, it almost has made me wonder if he's swimming upstream with a hammy.

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

like that?

Part of it is my fault... My point being there was no need to even bring up where you went to school cuz that has nothing to do with it.

It has to do with him being a first-round draft pick and not playing up to what is expected of a first-round draft pick

33 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Nothing false has been stated about him.   You just don't like the truth.  He has underperformed.  He has gotten no worse treatment on here than Njoku has.  Its just that Njoku hasn't had someone on here constantly making excuses for him.  Peppers has you on here making excuses for him.  If you were not here doing that, there would be a lot less conversation about him.   So it is  a self fulfilling prophecy for you.  You make your excuses, others here respond.  If you would STFU and quit making excuses for him, a lot less conversation about him would be generated.

1 minute ago, MLD Woody said:

Except it 100% does. Even if I won't be able to convince posters on here.

Woody if he were out there making plays no one would give two shits where he went to school. The reality is he is not playing up to what he should be playing as a first-round pick. Sure he may hear Shmuck Michigan but he would hear that in jest if he were playing well. They are criticizing his play because of his lack of performance not because of where he went to school. Even if I can't convince you of that

3 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Except it 100% does. Even if I won't be able to convince posters on here.

Like I said, you are the one making an issue of where he matriculated.  We just say that we may have another first round pick underperforming....as we have had so many do so before him.  He is not getting any worse treatment than those busts that have gone before him.   It is YOU who make a big deal about it.

And, correct me if I am wrong....but did someone say he was benched for half the game?  (I certainly did not track him).  So, WTF is up with that.....if it isn't a performance based move?

Not one sane Browns fan is rooting for Peppers to fail based on where he came from. They are Browns fans they want him to succeed. I want him to succeed and I am a bigger Buckeye fan than I am a Browns fan but I still want Peppers to succeed in the NFL because he is on my team. This is a excuse and a pitiful one at that

2 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Woody if he were out there making plays no one would give two shits where he went to school. The reality is he is not playing up to what he should be playing as a first-round pick. Sure he may hear Shmuck Michigan but he would hear that in jest if he were playing well. They are criticizing his play because of his lack of performance not because of where he went to school. Even if I can't convince you of that

.... I've already been over the "no one would care if he was making plays". I'm not doubting that. I posted that already. But when it comes to the negative and making the decision to go at him that fact that we played at Michigan 100% plays into it. 

3 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Not one sane Browns fan is rooting for Peppers to fail based on where he came from. They are Browns fans they want him to succeed. I want him to succeed and I am a bigger Buckeye fan than I am a Browns fan but I still want Peppers to succeed in the NFL because he is on my team. This is a excuse and a pitiful one at that

I never said any Browns fan was...

3 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I never said any Browns fan was...

Yet you are claiming that Browns fans are giving him a hard time just because he's from Michigan can not critiquing his play fairly, they don't give a fuk where he came from they want him to play well cuz he plays for their Browns when he doesn't play well they are going to criticize him. But you keep defending away and bringing up that he was our highest rated Defender in week 2. 

6 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

.... I've already been over the "no one would care if he was making plays". I'm not doubting that. I posted that already. But when it comes to the negative and making the decision to go at him that fact that we played at Michigan 100% plays into it. 

youve_got_more_excuses_than_a_pregnant_n

well, at the combine he ran a 4.46. He needs to grow up a bit - and learn the hybrid lb position.

He is very athletic, though. I hope he comes around to really start making plays.

His backflip at the combine was impressive. Translates to makin plays? nope.

If he doesn't start getting there...not good. I think he will though. Takes some players more time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr-0bAvDDvQ

Mayfield shows a lot of promise, Ward is playing great, Myles is a DROY candidate... And yet the guy we talk the most about is Peppers. It should at least make you wonder if he is playing to the level you'd expect from a first round pick. 

Last year he was played out of position in an awful secondary, I'll give him that. So this is a key year for him to play to his first round status. 

Make this people wrong. Prove it on the field. 

54 minutes ago, Nero said:

Mayfield shows a lot of promise, Ward is playing great, Myles is a DROY candidate... And yet the guy we talk the most about is Peppers. It should at least make you wonder if he is playing to the level you'd expect from a first round pick. 

Last year he was played out of position in an awful secondary, I'll give him that. So this is a key year for him to play to his first round status. 

Its because we have one guy on here who has his nose straight up Peppers bung hole.

1 hour ago, Nero said:

Myles is not a rookie.

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Myles is not a rookie.

49 minutes ago, Nero said:

DPOY* 

DPOY, DROY, HOF, QB, YAC, YPG...

If I ever try to get a Certification of English Proficiency Level (C2), it wouldn't surprise me if they asked me about acronyms. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Its because we have one guy on here who has his nose straight up Peppers bung hole.

And feels the need to defend the indefensible- because the guy went to the same college he did. Peppers starts playing like a first round pick, the criticism will stop pretty quickly. 

Archived