THE BROWNS BOARD

Some thoughts (Browns at Raiders)

Nero

OK. It's 2:24 AM, gotta wake up in less than 5 hours, but this game got me angry, so let's use my energy in something useful.

I liked: 

- Myles Garrett. When he's not stacking up sacks, he's blocking the run and is a nightmare. 

- Ward. If you have a corner that Derek Carr and Amari Cooper prefer not to challenge, that's something to cheer about. 

- Pressure: Overall, Carr was far from comfortable for most of the game. Maybe he didn't get sack as much, but he had many times a lot of pressure and little space. 

- Ground attack: We're getting better and Chubb shows some promise with those 2 long runs. Hyde is perfect for the 3-4 yard gains. 

- Baker Mayfield: He is a leader, has a lot of fire and brings a lot of energy, along with some intelligence and maybe a bit of ''it factor''. It's going to be amazing if he keeps improving (which I think he will). 

I didn't like: 

- Let's say the easy one first: The refs. I never like to complain about them but they made some wtf calls. 

- DROPS: Man, we cannot miss those balls. It doesn't help our rookie QB.

- Both Mayfield 'let's try this one'. Still, he's a rookie so no surprise here. Let's hope he knows when to take risks and not play a deep ball to a 1 on 1 when the game doesn't ask for it (3rd downs and with the game at stake). I think this is worse than the fumbles, which I think are easy to correct. 

- Run Defense: Lynch averaged 123 ypc. He's good, but not that good. 

- ST: We don't return anything, we don't cover anything. Every punt/kick off I'm just wishing it ends as fast as possible. 

- Under zone pass defense: Tight ends and big receivers kills us. At this matches, I expect people like Peppers who play close to the box to stand up at least scaring them out of the middle, but we don't. 

- Last but not least: We still don't know how to win. We held 3 teams (2 of them with very good offenses) to under 21 points. Now that we score 42, they still outscore us. We cannot lose 14 point leads, play afraid, go for a 2 point conversion when you're ahead in a 1st quater (what was that for?). We need to get games closed, seize the turnovers, don't suffer them and keep grinding. 

This team is not a 1-2-1 team. A few things here and there, and we would be 4-0 EASILY. It can be frustrating (for me, at this very moment after a L, it is), but let's hope we keep getting better. 

Go Browns! 

5 minutes ago, Nero said:

OK. It's 2:24 AM, gotta wake up in less than 5 hours, but this game got me angry, so let's use my energy in something useful.

I liked: 

- Myles Garrett. When he's not stacking up sacks, he's blocking the run and is a nightmare. 

- Ward. If you have a corner that Derek Carr and Amari Cooper prefer not to challenge, that's something to cheer about. 

- Pressure: Overall, Carr was far from comfortable for most of the game. Maybe he didn't get sack as much, but he had many times a lot of pressure and little space. 

- Ground attack: We're getting better and Chubb shows some promise with those 2 long runs. Hyde is perfect for the 3-4 yard gains. 

- Baker Mayfield: He is a leader, has a lot of fire and brings a lot of energy, along with some intelligence and maybe a bit of ''it factor''. It's going to be amazing if he keeps improving (which I think he will). 

I didn't like: 

- Let's say the easy one first: The refs. I never like to complain about them but they made some wtf calls. 

- Both Mayfield 'let's try this one'. Still, he's a rookie so no surprise here. Let's hope he knows when to take risks and not play a deep ball to a 1 on 1 when the game doesn't ask for it (3rd downs and with the game at stake). I think this is worse than the fumbles, which I think are easy to correct. 

- Under zone pass defense: Tight ends and big receivers kills us. At this matches, I expect people like Peppers who play close to the box to stand up at least scaring them out of the middle, but we don't. 

- Last but not least: We still don't know how to win. We held 3 teams (2 of them with very good offenses) to under 21 points. Now that we score 42, they still outscore us. We cannot lose 14 point leads, play afraid, go for a 2 point conversion when you're ahead in a 1st quater (what was that for?). We need to get games closed, seize the turnovers, don't suffer them and keep grinding. 

This team is not a 1-2-1 team. A few things here and there, and we would be 4-0 EASILY. It can be frustrating (for me, at this very moment after a L, it is), but let's hope we keep getting better. 

Go Browns! 

123ypc, he will bump into Forrest Gump with numbers like that...

4 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

123ypc, he will bump into Forrest Gump with numbers like that...

LOL, but you got it. I was astonished as I kept seeing 8ypc, 7.7 ypc... in 3rd and 4th quater. I checked now on NFL.com... 20 carries for 130 yards, 6.5 average. That's savage. 

I kept seeing flagrant oline holding by oakland.

No calls.

a flagrant block in the back on a return, no call.

their TE's shove off - no calls.

Lynch gets mad, kicks the ball downfield - no call.

how they changed the Browns first down to not a first down- how the hell do you DO that?

The Browns defensive game plan didn't work - they rarely could get to Carr before he had a wide open outlet pass.

I don't get that - maybe it's just my fault.

The Browns receivers drop too many balls. Baker took too many chances.

The offensive line kept getting run over - bad matchup with our oline and their front seven.

The Raiders have a whole lot of talent - we had a rookie rb, qb, wr.. and scored a bunch of points.

A whole lot to build on. 13-2-1 sounds pretty good to me.

Question - the hit on Njoku - they reversed it to no penalty - but wasn't that "hitting a defenseless receiver" ? or not?

STATEMENT:

Chubb sure looked great - he was 3 runs for a freaking 105 yards and TWO touchdowns.

What was that about him having a "lack of vision" that concerns Tiamsies?:rolleyes: (yes, I had to fix it...)

Not bad for a Spain-ish person... ;)

Couple premised questions to add to your thoughts...

• I don't like WRs returning kickoffs. The only thing I like less are DBs returning Kickoffs. I like RBs who secure the ball and know how and when to take a hit. Why isn't Duke returning kickoffs? Or Chubb?
  • Punts? Different matter... I love a speedy WR who is used to catching in traffic fielding punts, BUT (and it's a really big "but") they have to reliably look the ball in and for now that DQ's Callaway. Maybe Steater here... but I would not be adverse to Duke pulling this duty.
  • Cook was perhaps their biggest, pass-game threat going into the game. Was was Peppers not told, "He's yours, son." Start head up on him in the box, in position for run support, or split out with him, but take him out of their attack.

More later... maybe...

6 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

What was that about him having a "lack of vision" that concerns Tour?:rolleyes:

I said that about Chubb?

I know I said it about Crow.

One of us is confused... and it wasn't me until just now.

Oh....and the hit on Njoku was legal. It was a good pickup.

And Hyde's elbow was down with the ball short of the line to gain. I freeze-frame replayed my recording of the game.

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

I said that about Chubb?

One of us is confused... and it wasn't me until just now.

Wait, sorry, that was Tiamsies. My bad. lol

The Browns HAD that first down - and they would then run out the clock.

naturally, corrupt ref lightning had to strike.

NFL apology deja-vu all over again.

1 minute ago, calfoxwc said:

Wait, sorry, that was Tiamsies. My bad. lol

I accept your apology...

And here's more of my reply I was editing into my original reply as you quoted my post.

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Oh....and the hit on Njoku was legal. It was a good pickup.

And Hyde's elbow was down with the ball short of the line to gain. I freeze-frame replayed my recording of the game.

Just now, Tour2ma said:

I said that about Chubb?

One of us is confused...

I'm glad you cleared that up. 

And going forward is it a Hyde/Chubb one two punch with Hyde getting a bit more rest throughout the games and season which was what I thought the FO had planned from the start. Duke then becomes more of a passing option and the BROWNS could become a serious ball control and short yardage team in the AFCN....whoa.

This is still a young bunch and should get stronger ss the season (and opponents) start to wear down,

7 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Then it's his fault for not stretching to the 1st down marker like good backs do when going down close enough to stretch it out.

7 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I accept your apology...

And here's more of my reply I was editing into my original reply as you quoted my post.

Thanks.

dammit. I feel like going out into the barn and cleaning up the firewood after this game.

25 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I don't like WRs returning kickoffs

Fixed it.

We end up on our own 12.....or fumble the dam thing.  The Raiders take it at the 25.

Just wanna say - We saw nothing in the review that meant the call of 1st down should be reversed to 'short of the first down'.   -  Thanks NY ref.  Maybe you should stop watching cartoons when you're supposed to be working!

now, two more glaring penalties on #20. Boddy-Calhoun. sp?

what the )(*&^ is with him and holding? On a fair catch?

and why wasn't lynch kicking the ball a penalty?

58 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

I kept seeing flagrant oline holding by oakland.

No calls.

a flagrant block in the back on a return, no call.

their TE's shove off - no calls.

Lynch gets mad, kicks the ball downfield - no call.

how they changed the Browns first down to not a first down- how the hell do you DO that?

The Browns defensive game plan didn't work - they rarely could get to Carr before he had a wide open outlet pass.

I don't get that - maybe it's just my fault.

The Browns receivers drop too many balls. Baker took too many chances.

The offensive line kept getting run over - bad matchup with our oline and their front seven.

The Raiders have a whole lot of talent - we had a rookie rb, qb, wr.. and scored a bunch of points.

A whole lot to build on. 13-2-1 sounds pretty good to me.

Question - the hit on Njoku - they reversed it to no penalty - but wasn't that "hitting a defenseless receiver" ? or not?

STATEMENT:

Chubb sure looked great - he was 3 runs for a freaking 105 yards and TWO touchdowns.

What was that about him having a "lack of vision" that concerns Tiamsies?:rolleyes: (yes, I had to fix it...)

I shouted penalty as soon as  Marshawn Lynch kicked that ball especially egregious that it wasn't called as the Raiders scored later on that drive. The refs were terrible but  unfortunately we're still not good enough to overcome that yet .

48 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I'm glad you cleared that up. 

And going forward is it a Hyde/Chubb one two punch with Hyde getting a bit more rest throughout the games and season which was what I thought the FO had planned from the start. Duke then becomes more of a passing option and the BROWNS could become a serious ball control and short yardage team in the AFCN....whoa.

This is still a young bunch and should get stronger ss the season (and opponents) start to wear down,

That's why when they were up 14, they should have run it instead of throwing it, I think that was when Baker got strip sacked.

Not that they should, but I think they cut Lynch some slack because they blew the call with their quick whistle...

51 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Then it's his fault for not stretching to the 1st down marker like good backs do when going down close enough to stretch it out.

In his Defense he was targeted in the back of his helmet on the way down to the ground.

47 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Thanks.

dammit. I feel like going out into the barn and cleaning up the firewood after this game.

You're welcome...

And if that's like being taken to the woodshed... then have at it. ;)

1 hour ago, Nero said:

LOL, but you got it. I was astonished as I kept seeing 8ypc, 7.7 ypc... in 3rd and 4th quarter. I checked now on NFL.com... 20 carries for 130 yards, 6.5 average. That's savage. 

Chubb- three carries for 100+ why didn't we play him more?  

48 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

NJokeWho is scary bad

When he actually catches the ball. Baker hit him in the hands for an easy first down -dropsies. to share the wealth, Callaway had at least three. 

10 hours ago, Nero said:

I liked: 

I didn't like: 

- ST: We don't return anything, we don't cover anything. Every punt/kick off I'm just wishing it ends as fast as possible. 

Go Browns! 

We had a 14 point lead and virtually no chance to win. I felt it. Most everyone felt it. It's an indescribable force we've dealt with for years, and my hope was that a young man like Baker could change that narrative. But now we see. We see that even Baker is no match for whatever powerful force that causes us to lose in ways not thought possible. There's something wrong with our franchise. Call it a curse or whatever. But there's something wrong. 

And don't look at our schedule. Let's just say I hope everyone enjoyed that Jets victory, because I'm not sure when we'll have that feeling again. 

Go Browns. 

As for the kick return game... is Peppers Retarded?  Yes, I know he's from ichigan, but what the hell.  Twice that I can remember, that bag of rocks runs straight up and manages to get tackled by his own blocker because he runs right into him??!!  When we needed yardage, that Shmucker tacks the ball out of the end zone instead of taking the knee.  This guy was supposed to be a return guy, he's done nothing but make me go WTF!!  At this point, let Chubb return the ball

Quick add:

This is what a genuine rebuilding year looks like:

• Exciting young players demonstrating their potential by actually making plays on the field, not just giving hints of what they might do here and there
  • Keeping it close/staying in it game after game with a genuine chance to win. All those games they "coulda, shoulda" won -- not because a fan wishes it so through rose colored glasses or beer goggles but because it's really true
  • Other teams having to play much better when facing the Browns rather than phoning it in

Lots of previous seasons over the past many years billed as "rebuilding" were just called that because otherwise is admitting the team just sucks... again.

Sure fans want more wins faster. Nothing wrong with that. A better kicker to start the season and few calls going the other way could have the Browns anywhere from 4-0 to 2-1-1. Yell at Hue and the coaching staff. Yell at the refs and play review team. Yell at other forum posters. This team has genuine potential. Not a guarantee, not a lock on any number of wins, but real and true potential.

Can they learn and adjust from what has and hasn't worked so far? What is their realistic cap for improvement this year in terms of gameplay and win-loss record? Who knows. There is always a (slim) chance the team will become self-defeating and be blown up again, but that would be a shame.

Archived