THE BROWNS BOARD

***Official Browns Vs. Ravens Game Day Thread***

BrownsDawgPound

5 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Penalties--let's get the downer out the way🏷️..11 flags, 1 declined..6 Holding**--Njoku,BBC <ST>Hughlett,Harrison,Hubbard twice* 1 was declined..Ill. hands-Ogunjobi..Ill. block-Callaway..False Start-Zeitler..Offsides twice*--Garrett..tieing most flags in 5 games since week 1... 

Good point Gumby. The penalty situation was bad for us this game. Especially considering Baltimore didn’t get an accepted penalty until the second half?!?

It does make the win all that more impressive though. Battling adversity and shìt. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just watched OT again, and after Duke's 16yd run (3 plays before the winning FG) he gets up and looks at the bench while putting both arms out with a little shake of the head as if to say, "See what happens when you give it to me, why won't you play me more."

^ Strictly my interpretation, but I remember him sort of 'spiking' the ball while looking at the bench against the Raiders after a big play too....... WTF did he do?? 

16 minutes ago, D Bone said:

I just watched OT again, and after Duke's 16yd run (3 plays before the winning FG) he gets up and looks at the bench while putting both arms out with a little shake of the head as if to say, "See what happens when you give it to me, why won't you play me more."

^ Strictly my interpretation, but I remember him sort of 'spiking' the ball while looking at the bench against the Raiders after a big play too....... WTF did he do?? 

He only got targeted one time today on passes, if Higgy is going to be out for any time, I'd throw some more designed plays to DJ into the book.

BTW, Haley's play call of the reverse to Streater ... WTF.

Zombo

1 minute ago, Zombo said:

BTW, Haley's play call of the reverse to Streater ... WTF.

No kidding. I literally just watched that again 10 minutes ago and it pissed me off all over again..... but the 3rd and 8 made it all better. 

25 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Good point Gumby. The penalty situation was bad for us this game. Especially considering Baltimore didn’t get an accepted penalty until the second half?!?

It does make the win all that more impressive though. Battling adversity and shìt. 

bingo..odd day..we declined the first 3 balt flags 2nd half, till we finally accepted one in the 4th qt.4 mins left..Balt followed that up with 3 final flags in OT that we accepted all 3..with that kick? we needed every inch  

29 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Stealing my thunder... Just did a Duke thread speaking the same language.

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Penalties--let's get the downer out the way🏷️..11 flags, 1 declined..6 Holding**--Njoku,BBC <ST>Hughlett,Harrison,Hubbard twice* 1 was declined..Ill. hands-Ogunjobi..Ill. block-Callaway..False Start-Zeitler..Offsides twice*--Garrett.. most flags out of 5 games since week 1 with 10...We rank 9th highest in NFL 

Ghoolie is right about one thing. Too many dumbass penalties. 

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Ghoolie is right about one thing. Too many dumbass penalties. 

It was one sided calling since the first penalty on the Ravens came with about 5 minutes left in regulation. Ridiculous given all the holding they got away with.

14 hours ago, Mark O said:

Eat a bag of dicks asshat.    There is no room on the bandwagon for you this week. 

Yeah, well....MAKE ROOM, BEEOTCH!!!  HAHAHAHA.  What a win!

I gotta tell you, the game unfolded about exactly how I expected.  A low-scoring first half, I figured we'd be down by 3 or 7, don't remember.  But I envisioned a very low-scoring first half, and that's what we got.  I then figured our defense would get gassed and be unable to stop them in the second half, thus, losing by around 17.  

Right about the first half, COMPLETELY wrong about the second half.  Not ONLY did our defense refuse to get tired in the second half, they refused to get tired into OVERTIME.  Just wow.  There were probably 5 or 6 times when I thought we definitely lost the game.  I figured we'd have another week of yelling at the refs because of the no-call on Landry.  But NO.  Our defense held time after time AFTER TIME.  And with our backs LITERALLY backed up against the wall after the dumbest playcall in history (the reverse. wtf!), Baker scrambles for 12 or so, and then makes the play of his short career connecting with Derrick Willies.  Just....incredible.  

Read my last 5 or 6 posts.  I wasn't being a jerk.  I was hoping beyond hope that we'd win....I just didn't think we were quite good enough yet.  We're starting to develop a true homefield advantage, and that's something we've needed for YEARS.  Another really tough test next week, as Rivers and company looked pretty tough.  Go Brownies!

14 hours ago, syd said:

what was that score again ? oh wait you were fuking wrong again

Hahaha, again?  Hey, I've been right more than wrong, so I don't want to hear it!!  But I don't care!  I've never been more happy to be wrong.  And like I said in another post, even if we DID lose (which we didn't!!), I can smile each week because I know we've FINALLY got a QB.  Well guess what?  We won AND we got a QB!!  

Just amazing.  I love it.  

Just now, flyingfooldoug said:

But Willies caught the one that mattered most. Just the opposite of a Corey or others we've had. He made the catch and Baker overcame the lame reverse call to win.

OK,    but I was simply pointing out that there were drops in the game  (which may have made a difference)

41 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

OK,    but I was simply pointing out that there were drops in the game  (which may have made a difference)

Yep I agree. Rome wasn't built overnight tho and we seem to have come a long way. I'm seeing the best draft of my lifetime unfolding and hoping it's just the first chapter. Next season will be huebatross free and running for the trophy.

12 hours ago, D Bone said:

You nailed it. 

15 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Yep I agree. Rome wasn't built overnight tho and we seem to have come a long way. I'm seeing the best draft of my lifetime unfolding and hoping it's just the first chapter. Next season will be huebatross free and running for the trophy.

Hopefully this can become considered one of the best drafts in Browns history.   While neither I believe were televised,  I did "see"  in that I recall  the Browns 1964 draft in which they took both Paul Warfield and Leroy Kelly. 

And, while I was alive, I was too young to recall the 1957 draft, in which they actually took 3 players that went into the HOF:   Jim Brown, Gene Hickerson, and Henry Jordan....though they got rid of Jordan to the Packers quickly.  Milt Plum was also in that draft, and he was a pretty good NFL QB, though certainly not HOF caliber.

Other "decent" drafts:

In the common draft era,   in 1972 you had Thom Darden and Brian Sipe   (truthfully....we should hope the Mayfield/Ward draft turns out as well)

There is 1978 with Ozzie and Clay Matthews.

1982 had Chip Banks and Mike Baab.

1984  Ernest Byner and Brian Brennan

Since 1999  it has been a bunch of succotash, really.     A good one one year,  another decent player another year....but no 2 really good players in the same year.   Hopefully we will have this now this year  (and still hopes for last year...with Peppers, Njoku, Garrett and Ogunjobi)

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Yeah, well....MAKE ROOM, BEEOTCH!!!  HAHAHAHA.  What a win!

I gotta tell you, the game unfolded about exactly how I expected.  A low-scoring first half, I figured we'd be down by 3 or 7, don't remember.  But I envisioned a very low-scoring first half, and that's what we got.  I then figured our defense would get gassed and be unable to stop them in the second half, thus, losing by around 17.  

Right about the first half, COMPLETELY wrong about the second half.  Not ONLY did our defense refuse to get tired in the second half, they refused to get tired into OVERTIME.  Just wow.  There were probably 5 or 6 times when I thought we definitely lost the game.  I figured we'd have another week of yelling at the refs because of the no-call on Landry.  But NO.  Our defense held time after time AFTER TIME.  And with our backs LITERALLY backed up against the wall after the dumbest playcall in history (the reverse. wtf!), Baker scrambles for 12 or so, and then makes the play of his short career connecting with Derrick Willies.  Just....incredible.  

Read my last 5 or 6 posts.  I wasn't being a jerk.  I was hoping beyond hope that we'd win....I just didn't think we were quite good enough yet.  We're starting to develop a true homefield advantage, and that's something we've needed for YEARS.  Another really tough test next week, as Rivers and company looked pretty tough.  Go Brownies!

You were being a total asshat in the tavern during the game.    The Browns are winning and all you can talk about is how they're going to lose.  Spin it however you want...you're get off being negative about this team and for the life of me I can't figure out why.   This is finally a team that is fun to watch and has some playmakers who make things happen.  

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I saw a few drops by our receivers.  Njoku dropped another one.

Yeah, I was ALL over Njoku when he dropped that 3rd and long pass.  Granted, Baker was uncharacteristically a tad off target, but the ball hit both of Njoku's hands, and it wasn't a fast ball either.  It was definitely a tough catch, but it's the TYPE of catch you expect your 1st round draft pick to make for your team.  And it somehow always seems Njoku drops the ball when it's 3rd and long, LOL.  You know who had another massive drop?  Callaway.  Don't get me wrong, I LIKE Callaway, I really do.  I think he can be special, but boy...he seems to have a costly drop every game, huh?  Wasn't his drop on 3rd down, too?  On a great pass from Baker?  We just CAN'T have those kind of things, they're the same as a turnover, really.  

Speaking of WR's, I'm concerned about Higgins.  Hue said he's having an MRI today, which isn't generally good news.  He had some HUGE receptions yesterday, and Baker really likes him.  Hoping he's ok....he was just starting to really come into his own (I felt).

6 minutes ago, Mark O said:

You were being a total asshat in the tavern during the game.    The Browns are winning and all you can talk about is how they're going to lose.  Spin it however you want...you're get off being negative about this team and for the life of me I can't figure out why.   This is finally a team that is fun to watch and has some playmakers who make things happen.  

You can't figure out why?  We're up 3 points and you can't figure out why I thought we're going to lose the game?!  Have you been WATCHING the same team?  Don't you think I have history on my side?  I was AT the New Orleans game.  We were winning the entire time until the 4th quarter.  It felt JUST like that one.  So if I was an asshat, I apologize, but don't act like I was completely negative for the sake of just being negative.  Our team used to SPECIALIZE in losing in situations like that.  Raider game ring a bell?  New Orleans?  How many in the last two years were similar?  

But it can be different now.  Heck, it already IS different.  That win yesterday was so much more than just a win.  We had to overcome penalties, a LACK of penalties against the Ravens, terrible field position, a suffocating defense, and a kicker who didn't exactly inspire confidence.  We had a 2nd and 21 on our own 5 yard line after Haley called a reverse to Rod Streeter (wtf was THAT all about?  yeesh).  Baker runs for 12 ish, and then delivers the pass of his life to an unrestricted free agent....ROOKIE WR.  Epic.  

It's like I said last week, no matter if we lose some more heartbreakers, and we will (every team does, not being negative), the truly fun part of being a Browns fan now is we have our QB.  Finally.  After SO long, we have a guy who will only get better and better.  I really believe that.  

1 hour ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Huebatross. That’s pretty good.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

........Since 1999  it has been a bunch of succotash, really.     A good one one year,  another decent player another year....but no 2 really good players in the same year.   Hopefully we will have this now this year  (and still hopes for last year...with Peppers, Njoku, Garrett and Ogunjobi)

It started off badly when they picked the initial bunch to organize, pick talent and run the team......selections were a disaster. Uhhh Couch or McNabb? And worse from there......

Succotash, yeah that's bland enough. 

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

You can't figure out why?  We're up 3 points and you can't figure out why I thought we're going to lose the game?!  Have you been WATCHING the same team?  Don't you think I have history on my side?  I was AT the New Orleans game.  We were winning the entire time until the 4th quarter.  It felt JUST like that one.  So if I was an asshat, I apologize, but don't act like I was completely negative for the sake of just being negative.  Our team used to SPECIALIZE in losing in situations like that.  Raider game ring a bell?  New Orleans?  How many in the last two years were similar?  

But it can be different now.  Heck, it already IS different.  That win yesterday was so much more than just a win.  We had to overcome penalties, a LACK of penalties against the Ravens, terrible field position, a suffocating defense, and a kicker who didn't exactly inspire confidence.  We had a 2nd and 21 on our own 5 yard line after Haley called a reverse to Rod Streeter (wtf was THAT all about?  yeesh).  Baker runs for 12 ish, and then delivers the pass of his life to an unrestricted free agent....ROOKIE WR.  Epic.  

It's like I said last week, no matter if we lose some more heartbreakers, and we will (every team does, not being negative), the truly fun part of being a Browns fan now is we have our QB.  Finally.  After SO long, we have a guy who will only get better and better.  I really believe that.  

Fh29.gif  1P9d.gif                                                                                 Your a emotional Browns fan. We get it..We read your drama stories on a rollercoaster at times. The Tavern is a place where most people enjoy the most here each week..Mark O does a nice job keeping the drama out of it..it's all about 4.5 hours of the browns bragging rights..most could care less about a poster being right..Go Browns!! raised 3 daughters..am drama'd out🏈                  

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

It started off badly when they picked the initial bunch to organize, pick talent and run the team......selections were a disaster. Uhhh Couch or McNabb? And worse from there......

Succotash, yeah that's bland enough. 

Yea, but I misspelled it....is should have been suckotash.

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Fh29.gif  1P9d.gif                                                                                 Your a emotional Browns fan. We get it..We read your drama stories on a rollercoaster at times. The Tavern is a place where most people enjoy the most here each week..Mark O does a nice job keeping the drama out of it..it's all about 4.5 hours of the browns bragging rights..most could care less about a poster being right..Go Browns!! raised 3 daughters..am drama'd out🏈                  

And that's totally fair.  I'm not going to say we're never going to lose another close game, but I have to say...we have a QB with ice water in his veins, and I haven't been able to say that in so long.  My buddy asked me today, "Where do you think Baker’s ceiling is?"  Obviously I responded with the normal, generic answer of, “Well, he’s young, and we’re just glad to have a guy under center that appears to be competent.  Hoping for the best, but not really sure how good he can be.”  The typical politically correct answer. 

But then he got me thinking.  What IS Baker’s ceiling?  It’s funny, I almost don’t even like TALKING about it because I feel like I’m going to jinx something, which I know is completely foolish.  Baker is one of the biggest reasons I want to keep the coaching staff, no matter what.  I don’t want him LEARNING a new offense or terminology, I want him MASTERING the one we currently have…if that makes sense.   Perhaps the “ceiling conversation” is better had after the kid plays more than 2.5 games, but man…he’s a very talented young player. 

Listen, I didn’t think I was THAT bad in the Tavern yesterday.  I wasn’t blatantly disrespectful.  I didn’t call anybody names (other than Njoku, which I do all of the time), I didn’t argue with anyone, I wasn’t negative for the sake of being negative.  And when I got ticked off, I left the Tavern.  I said to have a good day and see you next week.  I said over and over again, that we have a real team, and no matter what, the future is bright because we have a QB.  I also had a bunch of nice things to say, too!  I agreed with people who made nice points, I applauded our defense, and while I got a bit snarky at the end, I realized it and immediately left because I respect everyone.  I expected to lose because their FG kicker has unlimited range, ours looked terrified, and it had the feel of many other contests that didn’t exactly swing our way.  It just had…that….”feel” to it.  I mean, 2nd and 21 after a ridiculous reverse call from deep in our own territory?  Yo!

I don’t remember ever cheering so loudly as I did when Baker found Derrick Willies across the middle.  It was pandemonium in our house.  I was jumping around, my wife was shouting, and the dog was going bananas.  After the kick went in (“went in” is a generous term, lmao), the camera spanned around to the stadium and it was truly a heartwarming view to see the crowd jumping around and cheering.  People were hugging, high-fiving, celebrating, and just loving the victory experience.  What a sight.  Was anybody on this forum at the game?  If so, share what that was like because it looked INCREDIBLE. 

Anyway, if I really ticked off anyone yesterday, I'm very sorry.  Normally I have a "24 hour posting policy" on the forum, which I enacted so I didn't irritate anybody.  

21 hours ago, syd said:

honestly we may have to bring in some more kickers for a try out

Man.... IMO that's exactly the wrong thing to do.

This is the week to tend to the kid's confidence.

16 hours ago, Zombo said:

He only got targeted one time today on passes, if Higgy is going to be out for any time, I'd throw some more designed plays to DJ into the book.

Hey! Here's a thought...

USE DUKE AS A WR!!!!

Archived