THE BROWNS BOARD

Game day radio broadcast question

Maker Playfield

I can't listen to the Browns games on the radio in my area, none the station signals are strong enough. I really miss the play by play done by Jimmy Donovan.. I can't listen to it online because of stupid contract rules or whatever.  Would it be against the law if someone put a mic up to their radio and streamed the radio broadcast over the internet?  If not, why doesn't anyone do it?  My best memories of watching the browns is watching the game on TV with the sound turned off and listen to play by play on the radio... 

How far away are from the official radio network which has shrunk over the years? 

I am also blacked out here in Ohio for the steelrz (ugh) but get a local station.  https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media/radio

Just FYI from the offical site, other programming some podcasts are available:

Radio Programs

GAME DAY PROGRAMMING

Cleveland Browns Game Day
Hosts: Ken Carman and Jerod Cherry
Carman and Cherry get game day started, featuring analysis and live reports from members of the Browns broadcast team. The program is broadcast live from the Kardiac Club at FirstEnergy Stadium prior to all home games.
Airs on ESPN 850 WKNR, The University Hospitals Cleveland Browns Radio Network – two-hour pregame show beginning four hours before kickoff

Cleveland Browns Kickoff Show, presented by Power Home Solar
Hosts: Ken Carman, Jerod Cherry and Tony Rizzo
Carman, Cherry and Rizzo host a two-hour pregame show featuring respected Cleveland football voices, including interviews and information from Jim Donovan and Doug Dieken. The program will be broadcast live from the Kardiac Club at FirstEnergy Stadium prior to all home games.
Airs on ESPN 850 WKNR, The University Hospitals Cleveland Browns Radio Network – two-hour pregame show beginning two hours before kickoff

Cleveland Browns Football Game (Triplecast)
Talent: Jim Donovan (play-by-play), Doug Dieken (analyst) and Nathan Zegura (sideline reporter)
Leading the unique local triplecasts on Good Karma Brands’ ESPN 850 WKNR, Entercom’s 92.3 The Fan and WNCX (98.5 FM) are long-time voice of the Browns Jim Donovan and Doug Dieken, who played in 203 games and earned Pro Bowl honors in 1981 during his 14-year career as a Browns offensive lineman (1971-84). Browns senior media broadcaster Nathan Zegura will also provide fans timely updates from the team’s sideline.
Airs on ESPN 850 WKNR, 92.3 The Fan, 98.5 WNCX, The University Hospitals Cleveland Browns Radio Network

La Mega 87.7 FM (Spanish radio broadcast)
Talent: Rafael "Rafa" Hernández Brito (play-by-play) and Octavio Sequera (analyst)
The Cleveland Browns have partnered with locally-owned Murray Hill Broadcasting's La Mega 87.7 FM to provide fans a Spanish radio game day broadcast in Northeast Ohio.
Airs on 87.7 FM

The Official Post-Game Show, presented by Value City Furniture
Hosts: Dustin Fox and Jeff Phelps
Fox and Phelps take fans through the post-game reaction, including live comments from Head Coach Hue Jackson and members of the team.
Airs on 92.3 The Fan, The University Hospitals Cleveland Browns Radio Network – two-hour show following the game's conclusion

WEEKLY PROGRAMMING

The Cleveland Browns Preview Show
Hosts: Ken Carman and Jerod Cherry
Carman and Cherry host the hour-long weekly preview program, which features a Browns player interview each week, as well as insights and analysis from other members of the Browns broadcast team.
Airs on ESPN 850 WKNR, 92.3 The Fan, The University Hospitals Cleveland Browns Radio Network  Preseason: Tuesdays from 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM | Regular Season: Wednesdays from 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM

The Hue Jackson Show
Hosts: Ken Carman and Nathan Zegura
Carman and Zegura host the hour-long weekly coach’s show, highlighted by exclusive interviews with Head Coach Hue Jackson.
Airs on ESPN 850 WKNR, 92.3 The Fan, The University Hospitals Cleveland Browns Radio Network – Preseason: Wednesdays from 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM | Regular Season: Thursdays from 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM

Cleveland Browns Daily, presented by JACK
Hosts: Nathan Zegura and Beau Bishop
Cleveland Browns Daily is hosted by Browns senior media broadcaster Nathan Zegura and Emmy award-winner Beau Bishop. It offers comprehensive coverage and analysis of the team both on and off the field, broadcast directly from the Browns’ facilities.
Airs on ESPN 850 WKNR – Monday through Friday from 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM

The High School Football Show
Host: Jason Gibbs
Game review of The High School Game of the Week.
Airs on ESPN 850 WKNR – Saturday mornings throughout the high school football season

16 minutes ago, GuNNerGatSKi said:

Have you downloaded iHeartRadio? On your phone? I believe you can tune into any station anywhere from that app. And it is free.

I know people who use iHeart even for some obscure college games all over the USA and it appears to work well.......

.......unless you live in some swamp like Canal Fulton, Ohio.  :lol:

I have our local 1440 AM station on on the high end AM of the band, too bad they don't offer any FM stations anymore in our area.

The coverage sure has dropped off over the years.

7 hours ago, Maker Playfield said:

I can't listen to the Browns games on the radio in my area, none the station signals are strong enough. I really miss the play by play done by Jimmy Donovan.. I can't listen to it online because of stupid contract rules or whatever.  Would it be against the law if someone put a mic up to their radio and streamed the radio broadcast over the internet?  If not, why doesn't anyone do it?  My best memories of watching the browns is watching the game on TV with the sound turned off and listen to play by play on the radio... 

You can't stream WKNR?   http://www.espn.com/espnradio/affPopup?s=wknr-am

Odd, to say the least...   

37 minutes ago, hoorta said:

You can't stream WKNR?   http://www.espn.com/espnradio/affPopup?s=wknr-am

Odd, to say the least...   

I tried that link three times:   Error Processing Request

1 minute ago, mjp28 said:

I tried that link three times:   Error Processing Request

Maybe it is blocked by area...   Try the KNR website and try going to the streaming link. I have no problems with it here in Dayton, though I will admit, I've yet to use it during a game. 

4 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Maybe it is blocked by area...   Try the KNR website and try going to the streaming link. I have no problems with it here in Dayton, though I will admit, I've yet to use it during a game. 

Just my $2 worth here. I've tried to get the game on 98.5 using Iheart or streaming. Works good until the pregame comes on and then it's taped music.  I guess the NFL is worried that you might figure out a way to screw them out of a nickel.

2 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Just my $2 worth here. I've tried to get the game on 98.5 using Iheart or streaming. Works good until the pregame comes on and then it's taped music.  I guess the NFL is worried that you might figure out a way to screw them out of a nickel.

It's possible. I understand if they want you to sign up for game pass to get the video feeds. But radio? That's taking it too far. Plus it's screwing affected the radio stations out of advertising revenue. Same reason a game is blacked out on Sunday Ticket if it's available as an OTA broadcast.  

Well for you unfortunates, there's always reddit to try....   

13 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Doug, can you get 1440 WHKC out of Warren, OH, I listened to the whole miserable game on it.

........oh nice to listen to the radio guys once in awhile, Donovan & Dieken.

1 minute ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

You cheap Shmucks will just have to fork out the bucks to watch or listen.

Money is no problem, it's what's available out there without changing my whole system around. Armstrong Cable here just does NOT offer it or BTN among other things. I don't mind occassional Indians games but BROWNS games just tick me off in Ohio......but they follow the blackout rules to their advantage.

53 minutes ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

Jim Donovan is the best in the biz. 

He sure can get excited but in a good way, just does BROWNS football right -and- Dieken is that steady lineman as the color guy.......nice combination.

We're spoiled in baseball too, Hammy, Herb Score, Tait, Jimmy Dudley and others.

Not bad in hoops either.

GO CLEVELAND, TV or radio we're covered!

2 hours ago, FALCON7 said:

No radio in Ohio, South of Columbus, hard to believe but it's true! ( The NFL broadcast rules are total BS, F THEM!)

You can listen live here,  but it's the worst sound quality of any internet radio I've ever listened to.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media/radio

I remember long ago they had radio down to WVA, WPA, not close now........

........oh I see one in Wheeling, WVA, both AM and FM, not many FM left.

12 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Doug, can you get 1440 WHKC out of Warren, OH, I listened to the whole miserable game on it.

........oh nice to listen to the radio guys once in awhile, Donovan & Dieken.

Thanks but it's really no issue for me other than reroute a antenna wire. I do like the radio pregame coverage and was shocked when I learned that there is no longer any local FM coverage. I'm fringe for 98.5 and 97.5 and have to play some to get them. Too much rf here for am except late at night. 

4 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Thanks but it's really no issue for me other than reroute a antenna wire. I do like the radio pregame coverage and was shocked when I learned that there is no longer any local FM coverage. I'm fringe for 98.5 and 97.5 and have to play some to get them. Too much rf here for am except late at night. 

RFI, all that stuff.....It is amazing what you can do with a good radio antenna, wire, filters, a better radio and all of that if you want to bother AND have a radio with an exterior antenna hookup. I have several SW radios around here with I almost NEVER use now including some small GRUNDIG pocket size AM/FM and 6 bands up to 30 Khz low frequency ones. Have a big elaborate old Radio Shack DX-440 one here somewhere have not touched in many years.

My dad was a good WWII and Korea NAVY electrical guy, taught me a lot including Morse code, radio, TV. I got in amateur radio when I was 12 in 1963 han my novice and tech licence then, went on to a FCC General when I was in high school. Built transmitters, receivers, antennas, filters, antennas, had a 65' tower out back all that good stuff.....now ancient history. 

Was interesting, used to listen to *Artie Corso (sp?) from Havana, Cuba with my GRUNDIG pocket SW radio in bed late nights.

Best AM station out there WKBN 570 Youngstown, guys down south can listen to the Indians especially at night, oh well......

F'n BROWNS.

.........*oh BTW it was Arnie Coro co-founder and host of Radio Havana, est. 1 May 1961.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Best AM station out there WKBN 570 Youngstown, guys down south can listen to the Indians especially at night, oh well...…

Listened to Tribe games during a camping trip years ago on the New River in West Virginia and while driving over the Brooklyn Bridge after getting some Grimaldi's pizza in Brooklyn on WWWE 1100. 

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

RFI, all that stuff.....It is amazing what you can do with a good radio antenna, wire, filters, a better radio and all of that if you want to bother AND have a radio with an exterior antenna hookup. I have several SW radios around here with I almost NEVER use now including some small GRUNDIG pocket size AM/FM and 6 bands up to 30 Khz low frequency ones. Have a big elaborate old Radio Shack DX-440 one here somewhere have not touched in many years.

My dad was a good WWII and Korea NAVY electrical guy, taught me a lot including Morse code, radio, TV. I got in amateur radio when I was 12 in 1963 han my novice and tech licence then, went on to a FCC General when I was in high school. Built transmitters, receivers, antennas, filters, antennas, had a 65' tower out back all that good stuff.....now ancient history. 

Was interesting, used to listen to *Artie Corso (sp?) from Havana, Cuba with my GRUNDIG pocket SW radio in bed late nights.

Best AM station out there WKBN 570 Youngstown, guys down south can listen to the Indians especially at night, oh well......

F'n BROWNS.

.........*oh BTW it was Arnie Coro co-founder and host of Radio Havana, est. 1 May 1961.

So what's the trick with digital? I used to be able to grab tv signals from erie to Pittsburgh to Detroit. Now I can't hardly get Cleveland or Youngstown.

Archived