THE BROWNS BOARD

Finally! Official From Brown's Game Fired......

BrownsFan4Evr

F2ov.gif     Referee Randy reports                                                                                                                                                Hugo Cruz was to be the Head Linesmen/Down Judge working  on Carl Cheffers crew this week in Pittsburgh..Not so fast our friend! from Cleveland..Ref site is down, scrambling to rework personal schedule this week..stay tuned

stay tuned is in..Take away 4 years of Hugo Cruz as Down Judge this Sunday..Add in. stand-in. Alternate Down Judge=Mike Spanier. a 20 year NFL official & Middle School Principal..Spanier has called 14 browns games. And of course his record is tied at 7-7..:o 

This should just be the beginning of getting rid of the incompetent refs. I would like to see an independent sort of grading system similar to PFF instituted for these crews rather than just the league itself. They need to be held accountable rather than just vague apologies and admissions before moving onto the next game and raping of the Browns. 

The reffing is as bad as it has ever been. These guys are making arbitrary decisions and creating rules as they go while missing glaringly obvious calls. Despite all the rules changes and deviations, these players nowadays are basically committing penalties on almost every play. Football is now played by grabbing people rather than delivering forearms, and the habits are so ingrained in these guys that they are perpetrating some form grabbing and pulling on every play. 

The most penalized teams is an ambiguous stat. It is not the amount of penalties, it is the timing and severity. Teams like Pitt basically are coached to push the limits each play since the refs can't throw a flag every play, therefore they are going to be among the leaders and Tomlin will be crying while he is on the committee lobbying. 

The NFL has been sweeping this stuff under the rug for a long time, but it is getting so bad now that fans aren't just letting it go by the next game. What Hocker-lee and his crew did to the Browns this week was egregious. They literally said it was okay to go head to head, which completely belies what the league is trying to eliminate. They did that while reversing a call they already made. There should be discipline for that, but he is a disciple of nepotism so he will surely get a pass. 

Do you think this is going to make any difference? How many fukcking bad calls does the NFL ref association still have in their bad of goodies to fukck the Browns up?

I think that a lot of these bastards have a hard-on for the Browns ever since the bottle incident. Frankly, sometime the only thing some people understand is a bottle to the head, or a good punch in the mouth. The refs have been despicable to the Browns. THey miss call after call after call. Fukck Ed Hoculi. I hope bad things happen to all of the bastards. Sorry, I really do.

Crew for Pitt game (minus our boy Hugo)

R- Carl Cheffers 
U- Barry Anderson 
DJ- Hugo Cruz 
LJ- Gary Author 
FJ- Land Clark 
SJ- Eugene Hall 
BJ- Greg Meyer

Replay Official- Charles Stewart 
Replay asst.- Jim Grant

2 minutes ago, Riffer X said:

Crew for Pitt game (minus our boy Hugo)

R- Carl Cheffers 
U- Barry Anderson 
DJ- Hugo Cruz 
LJ- Gary Author 
FJ- Land Clark 
SJ- Eugene Hall 
BJ- Greg Meyer

Replay Official- Charles Stewart 
Replay asst.- Jim Grant

It will be interesting to see how many calls go the Stools way , Sunday...

Look for the key word(s) he's apparently not getting fired for one play or call.......

The NFL has fired down judge Hugo Cruz, No. 94, effective immediately according to FootballZebras.com. Cruz was not “maintaining a very high level of performance over a sustained period."

It is the first time that the NFL has fired an official in the Super Bowl era during the regular season. One of his more egregious errors was a missed false start against the Los Angeles Chargers.

Cruz was lined up almost directly behind Los Angeles Chargers left tackle Russell Okung, who received minimally a one second head start before the ball was snapped, in the first half. The defense, notably defensive end Myles Garrett, gave up on the play in anticipation of the play being blown dead for a false start. Instead, quarterback Philip Rivers delivered a 29-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Tyrell Williams. ........

A good sign for holding officials accountable over time? Stay tuned, we might find out.

1 hour ago, Ghoolie said:

Do you think this is going to make any difference? How many fukcking bad calls does the NFL ref association still have in their bad of goodies to fukck the Browns up?

I think that a lot of these bastards have a hard-on for the Browns ever since the bottle incident. Frankly, sometime the only thing some people understand is a bottle to the head, or a good punch in the mouth. The refs have been despicable to the Browns. THey miss call after call after call. Fukck Ed Hoculi. I hope bad things happen to all of the bastards. Sorry, I really do.

i........am with ghoolie.............on this

😳

Bad calls.  People seem to be extremely surprised that we have bad calls.  Like this is something brand new.

There was a long pass in a superbowl by the Bears against the Patriots where the receiver (Dennis Gentry I think) didn't have EITHER foot in bounds....by a mile....and it was called complete.

The one that REALLY gets me is the Mayfield no-call on the hit to the head.  That can't be just one guy's fault.  There's a whole bunch of refs working the game.  All the other refs allowed it to be announced that the QB is a runner and you can whack him in the head.  

Sadly, the refs are human (apparently we need robots) and will make mistakes.  There's Soooo many firggin' rules now.......and they're constantly changing them every offseason.   

45 minutes ago, Orion said:

Bad calls.  People seem to be extremely surprised that we have bad calls.  Like this is something brand new.......

Sadly, the refs are human (apparently we need robots) and will make mistakes.  There's Soooo many firggin' rules now.......and they're constantly changing them every offseason.   

True. And referees are graded on every game that's how the playoff officals are chosen. And before we get all soft on the referees it can be a good paying job at the highest level, the NFL.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that there were 18,610 umpires, referees and other sports officials working at all levels as of May 2017. The mean professional sports referee salary was $35,080 per year. Those employed by local governments averaged $31,330 per year, college coaches earned an average of $25,480, and those working directly for professional spectator sports organizations such as the minor leagues earned an average of $40,320.

While minor leagues pay salaries that could be described as token, unionized NFL officials of all job descriptions work under a 2013 contract that stipulates a salary of $173,000 per year. This is a significant raise from the $149,000 per year they were paid in 2011. That salary increases to $205,000 per year in 2019. That's for 17 weeks of part-time work.   :o

Refereeing the Super Bowl or other significant games can earn refs a terrific bonus. In 2001, Super Bowl referees earned an extra $11,900 for officiating at that all-important game. Since that time, the bonus figure hasn't been announced, but it can be assumed that it has increased.

Tip

NFL referee salary estimates range between a minimum of $173,000 per year, which is the minimum for all NFL officials, plus bonuses to a much higher figure that is not publicly released.

One interesting tidbit is that part-time NFL officials are restricted to earning no more than 50 percent of their annual income from refereeing in the NFL. Another job – and a well-paid job at that – is a requirement. Referees' side gigs run the gamut from dairy farmer to high school principal.

Now how many of you football junkies knew that?:blink:

3 hours ago, Orion said:

Bad calls.  People seem to be extremely surprised that we have bad calls.  Like this is something brand new.

There was a long pass in a superbowl by the Bears against the Patriots where the receiver (Dennis Gentry I think) didn't have EITHER foot in bounds....by a mile....and it was called complete.

The one that REALLY gets me is the Mayfield no-call on the hit to the head.  That can't be just one guy's fault.  There's a whole bunch of refs working the game.  All the other refs allowed it to be announced that the QB is a runner and you can whack him in the head.  

Ha- the bigger the game the bigger the miss. Remember one Super Bowl where one of the Patriots guards flat out tackled a guy when he was pulling- and no call.   

Myles Garrett is right- he's probably getting held on every other play, with no call being made. I'll isolate on him Sunday.   

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Ha- the bigger the game the bigger the miss. Remember one Super Bowl where one of the Patriots guards flat out tackled a guy when he was pulling- and no call.   

Myles Garrett is right- he's probably getting held on every other play, with no call being made. I'll isolate on him Sunday.   

Myles Garrett not only gets held, but gets regularly tackled by the neck when dipping under blockers. That occurred regularly in college also and was rarely called then too.

11 hours ago, Orion said:

Officials are having a nightmare year.

Did you see the “contact to the head/neck area of long snapper” penalty against Houston last night? They barely touched Miami long snapper on a FG attempt.

The Baker play apparently had flags thrown for the hit and for Baker taunting after getting up after the hit. Which kinda cancelled themselves out either way. They gotta make targeting reviewable.

and watching it live speed, his slide was kinda “last minute” like the Joe Flacco slide when Kiki Alonso tee’d off on em’

4 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Officials are having a nightmare year.

I think the rules, replay, booth reviews everything are affecting that. The refs are unsteady.

5 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I think the rules, replay, booth reviews everything are affecting that. The refs are unsteady.

For sure, it's obvious these guys have the yips based on the much appropriate back lash on how awful they've been this year. Heck last night a dude literally slide tackled into the kick returner and they didn't throw the flag. I don't feel bad for them one bit, you gotta do your job. The problem is the NFLRA is the definition of an old boys club and the are refusing to bend on the fact they are just awful as a unit. 

There's always going to be the "close calls" in any ref based sport. Whether it's balls/strikes, charge/block, etc you can be annoyed as a fan but understand why it was called that way. In the NFL, I'd label that holding and pass interference. But hopefully the NFL wises up and moves to the baseball model for the future. This missed false start that got the guy fired should be able to be reviewed. The clearly not forward progress stopped should have been able to be reviewed. I know it may add time to the game, but this sport is a game where one play wins or loses for a team. This sort of thing HAS to be included or fans are going to tune out eventually. 

5 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Maybe the Browns have just been REALLY unlucky

I know it's not a tangible thing, but "luck" was one of my key factors to our season.  I didn't use the word "luck", I think I used "Browns-ness", and we had to find a way to lose that nasty film that seemed to cover us.  The unlucky, inexplicable, and downright awful things that happen to us.  The reviewing of the spot in Oakland?  Seriously?  They knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that Carlos was short of the first down because they triangulated his position using multiple camera angles?!  Missing XP's and FG's in New Orleans.  Getting 6 TO's in week 1 and not winning despite having a FG kick to win, BUT our best player committing the worst block in the back I've ever seen right before it.  I mean, Jesus.  And then getting the kick blocked. What about that pass interference call that wasn't made before half against Pitt?  Gordon got completely MUGGED, and you absolutely KNOW that the refs are calling that against US 100% of the time.  All the crap in Bucs game that I don't want to mention, and so on and so on.  We simply had to find a way to rid ourselves of the "Browns-ness", and we haven't done that.  

It's not too late to right the ship, but for a young team with questionable depth, it's going to get tougher.  We had to win early because every team gets injuries, and there's just no way an 0-16 team can improve it's starting roster AND it's depth in one offseason.  I'm a firm believer in making your own luck, but for whatever reason, our Browns don't have that recipe.  

29 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Flippin channels last night.  Aikman was talking about several bad calls in last nights 1st half.

I saw most of that game, HOU and DeShone are coming around.  It's in every game to some degree but CLE has had some awful W/L bad calls this year.

53 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I saw most of that game, HOU and DeShone are coming around.  It's in every game to some degree but CLE has had some awful W/L bad calls this year.

Hopkins scored me 108 pts in my FFL. He only had one catch for 8 yds in the first half, but another 70 and two TD's the second. Plus he got robbed after a chicken fight with the DB. What a catch!!

6 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Hopkins scored me 108 pts in my FFL. He only had one catch for 8 yds in the first half, but another 70 and two TD's the second. Plus he got robbed after a chicken fight with the DB. What a catch!!

Incredible catch, but to be fair to the refs that looked like OPI live action. It really was just more Hopkins being an incredible machine out there, but that's at least one where I can "let it go". 

9 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I saw most of that game if anyone had the daily double of Watson and Hopkins you did very well. DeShone is coming around....again.

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I saw it all... and yes, the Texans have gotten very scary... especially on the O-side. And if the D gets healthy...

I had not known that O'Brien got a four-year extension.

Archived