THE BROWNS BOARD

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

jiggins7919

The Good:

Our offensive consistently moved the ball, wasn’t “behind the sticks” all day, and largely kept us within striking distance for much of the game, even if that distance was a bit further than we’d like.  We didn’t go 3 and out constantly, and managed to sustain some drives which gave our depleted defense a chance to catch their breath.  Baker was largely decisive, and our first time playcaller showed very few signs, if any, of being overwhelmed.  We stuck to the run, we EFFECTIVELY ran it, and we were very close to ripping off some larger runs that just never materialized.  We also got Duke Johnson more involved, early and often, and relied heavily on him while in the red zone.  I remember being successful on most of our 4th down conversions, and the one we didn’t convert was a case of going to the well one too many times, a mistake the Chiefs were clearly waiting on.  In hindsight, Duke as a decoy would’ve been magnificent, but all in all, our offense moved the ball most of the day and our young QB acquired some much-needed confidence.  Baker even connected on a deeper throw to Callaway, something that hasn’t happened throughout the duration of his playing time. 

The Bad:

Our receivers don’t do a good enough job fighting for the deep balls.  I don’t know who the receiver was on the deep ball in the end zone that could’ve been pass interference, but I think it was Perriman.  The receivers should’ve jumped into the DB, who didn’t turn his head in time, and either be in a better position to catch the ball, or more likely, force the refs to call pass interference.  If the defender’s head isn’t turned, and the offensive player tries to come back to the ball (regardless where the ball actually IS), often times the ref will throw the flag.  It’s one play, but it’s something I’ve seen a few times before our last game.  Baker’s INT last week by Haden comes to mind.  Baker underthrew the ball, but the receiver didn’t do a darn thing to break it up.  He simply waited for the ball to come to his hands, even though Haden was waiting for it.  We simply have to be better at helping our young QB, and sometimes that means playing defense on a poorly thrown ball. 

Breaking tackles, or should I say, the LACK of breaking tackles.  Our receivers don’t do a good enough job of shedding would-be tacklers, and the lone exception I can think of is the Duke Johnson TD where he beat the first guy, and then strode into the end zone for a HUGE score.  We also have to give props to Callaway for NOT blocking in the back, and it would’ve been all too easy for him to shove that guy in front of him because he was literally 1 foot away, and he didn’t do it.  It might sound silly for congratulating a player for doing the right thing, but these are the penalties that have traditionally haunted us on big plays, and we didn’t see it as much yesterday.  Callaway simply got in his way, and it was more than enough.  I’m sure there were more broken tackles, but I can’t think of too many by our receivers.  Even Landry got wrestled down by one leg, something that almost never happens.  It’s a slap in the face when our defense has such a difficult time getting people down, and our offensive players seemingly go down so easily. 

The Ugly:

Gregg Williams blitzing on a 3rd and 20, early in the game.  I haven’t been THAT angry with a defensive playcall in quite some time.  I was literally SCREAMING screen pass before the snap, as I’m sure many of you were, too.  I believe we even saw a screen pass shortly before that down, which of course worked to perfection because we again brought pressure.  You may have noticed I haven’t really chewed out the defense too badly, besides poor tackling, and that’s because we had a rash of painful injuries that decimated our team.  We did the best we could with what we had, but that doesn’t excuse a mind-numbingly terrible call on a 3rd and 20.  You play it safe, you keep it in front of you, and you make the tackle.  There’s no excuse for some amateur fan on his couch calling out the play, and people making millions of dollars NOT to know the same info. 

The blocked punt.  This essentially ended the game, and while we were down the entire time, before this we were a pick-6 or other explosive play away from REALLY putting some pressure on them.  A blocked punt just sucks the air right out of the stadium, and the Chiefs had little difficulty scoring a few plays later.  I’m not sure who blew the assignment, but it looked like the RB protecting the punter didn’t get a good enough block on the guy, who merely stuck his arm up in the air and completely stuffed the punt.  It’s inexcusable, and again, special teams kills us. 

Two point conversions.  Ya know, I don’t MIND going for them, but Jesus, at least look like you have a plan.  I don’t know what our stats are for the season, but to me, every time we try one it looks like a circus. 

Jamie Collins.  I guess I refused to see what others on the board saw before, but I’m completely over Jamie Collins now.  The guy doesn’t look interested, and I’m tired of watching him play every Sunday…especially for $12 mill a year, or whatever his salary is. 

Injuries.  Good grief, we didn’t waste any time having some of most impactful players out for the game, and we were ALREADY thin at certain positions.  I have a very hard time judging our defense with so many guys out, and while I’m not saying we would’ve WON, I am saying I would’ve LOVED to watch this game with us at full strength. 

I left a lot out there, Browns Fans.  What are the things you guys noticed?

Agree 100% on Collins, he's nothing special at all. No motivation whatsoever I hate it. 

I figured the Browns would hang around and make a game of it, which they pretty much did in the 1st half. We just aren't deep enough to compete 4 quarters with the top teams all the time (I know, we had the Saints beat, and coulda-shoulda, woulda vs the Steelers in week 1). 

I didn't realize our secondary was so decimated. Had too many pops before the game lol....

I hope Williams can right the ship and keep the team from bailing on what was a promising start to the season. Atlanta's coming in with just about the same level of offensive skill players as KC, it's gonna be tough.

Regardless of injuries, these players were all part of our game day roster(s). Here is my issue with the defense......

TACKLING!!! It's a fundamental & proper tackling is NOT a hard shoulder block into the ball carrier (exception is when a "bump" sends a sideline hugging runner out) or reaching out & grabbing their shirt sleeves. A good runner will just move WITH the force & often just bounce off on their way to additional yards. Wrap the runner up & put 'em on the ground!! I don't care how far down the depth chart a player is, they need to be taught & play with solid fundamentals.

Regardless of game plans, playcalling et al, execution is IMPOSSIBLE to maintain if our fundamentals are poor.

End of my rant.

Mike

Hey man, just wanna say good job on the write-ups. Quality content on this forum is always appreciated.

Honestly, my impression on the game is that we have dudes on offense who can make plays, just not enough. Chubb is looking stronger each week and Duke is still just making plays out there. Landry is a rock, and Njoku is the type of TE that thrives in the NFL. Mayfield is pushing through a lot of behind the scenes stuff and is showing the most promise at the position we've has since the team came back. The NFL is absolutely, 100% about offense moving forward. I'm confident in Dorsey to see this for the future for 

1) hiring an OC minded HC and;

2) getting more play makers via draft or free agency

From a defensive perspective, honestly what did you guys think was going to happen? KC is the most explosive offense in the NFL and our unit was just depleted by the 2nd quarter. Our top four DB's (to include Mitchell) weren't suited up. Schobert on the inside wasn't there. It's clear other guys were hobbled out there and playing through. KC on the other hand has scored 30+ points in like 7? straight games against similar or better defenses. The only annoying thing is that we left points out there, which can and will improve.

Point is, the NFL is moving to the Rams v Saints match-up, plain and simple. It's not a matter of who can make more stops, it's who can score more points. Let's get more guys on there on the field to help with that, whether that's on the Oline or skill positions.  Obviously defense can improve, but right now my draft board is all about offense.

That blitz on 2rd and 20 had me doing the same thing, "WTF are you thinking, just get the f'n stop!!" Played right into their hands at a real key point in the game. 

But then later I said to myself that this game would  have gone far worse with the HueyHaley doubleblubble of trouble.

3 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Regardless of injuries, these players were all part of our game day roster(s). Here is my issue with the defense......

TACKLING!!! It's a fundamental & proper tackling is NOT a hard shoulder block into the ball carrier (exception is when a "bump" sends a sideline hugging runner out) or reaching out & grabbing their shirt sleeves. A good runner will just move WITH the force & often just bounce off on their way to additional yards. Wrap the runner up & put 'em on the ground!! I don't care how far down the depth chart a player is, they need to be taught & play with solid fundamentals.

Regardless of game plans, playcalling et al, execution is IMPOSSIBLE to maintain if our fundamentals are poor.

End of my rant.

Mike

While I didn't want to dig too much on the defense, tackling was definitely the one thing I mentioned.  Our players barely broke any tackles, whereas the Chiefs seemed to run right through our guys on numerous occasions.  It's unacceptable, and if you're playing in the NFL, backup or not, you should be able to tackle.  Period.  

Also, we had offensive line miscommunication, and I don't want to hear excuses about THESE either.  Three times...THREE...we had miscommunication from the left side that left an untouched rusher free to crush Baker Mayfield.  The linemen just did the "arms up in the air" pose and looked at the guy next to them like, "Man, I thought YOU were gonna block that guy!"  I'm guessing it was Greg Robinson's fault, but he literally let rushers go right by him, and it happened at least twice, but I think three times.  Just...just...UGH.  How many timed did you see the Chiefs do that?  Did you see Myles Garrett or Ogbah untouched by a Chiefs lineman?  Hell no. 

3 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

End of my rant.

Mike

Amen

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

While I didn't want to dig too much on the defense, tackling was definitely the one thing I mentioned.  Our players barely broke any tackles, whereas the Chiefs seemed to run right through our guys on numerous occasions.  It's unacceptable, and if you're playing in the NFL, backup or not, you should be able to tackle.  Period.  

Also, we had offensive line miscommunication, and I don't want to hear excuses about THESE either.  Three times...THREE...we had miscommunication from the left side that left an untouched rusher free to crush Baker Mayfield.  The linemen just did the "arms up in the air" pose and looked at the guy next to them like, "Man, I thought YOU were gonna block that guy!"  I'm guessing it was Greg Robinson's fault, but he literally let rushers go right by him, and it happened at least twice, but I think three times.  Just...just...UGH.  How many timed did you see the Chiefs do that?  Did you see Myles Garrett or Ogbah untouched by a Chiefs lineman?  Hell no. 

The defense was atrocious and the 3rd and 20 blitz is what happens when you have an over aggressive coach calling the plays and every team knows it, which is why we get burned for at least 3 screen passes per game.

One of the offensive line issues was definitely on Njoku since the guy went past him on his left side while he was busy blocking the dude to his right (who was also being blocked by the o-lineman) and it was on this play that Njoku looked at him like why didn't you block him??   Why would he think the guy to his right would block a dude going by on his left is way beyond me.  It was clearly his guy and he whiffed on it.

The good was clearly the offense and the playcalling.  Baker looked much better yesterday and it was nice seeing them run the ball several times in a row and I liked the quick passes to get rid of the ball which also helped the o-line look better for the most part.

The bad and the ugly was all on the defense and while I know that KC is fantastic on offense and we had a shitton of injuries and all that, but I don't think it's asking too much for these guys to make a stop once in awhile.

Yes the "Tackling".. Or lack there of is quite alarming.... And seeing a lot of guys on defense stand around was doubly alarming.. they were like bag boys holding the door open for poor old ladies,,,'

51 minutes ago, Mark O said:

One of the offensive line issues was definitely on Njoku since the guy went past him on his left side while he was busy blocking the dude to his right (who was also being blocked by the o-lineman) and it was on this play that Njoku looked at him like why didn't you block him??   Why would he think the guy to his right would block a dude going by on his left is way beyond me.  It was clearly his guy and he whiffed on it.

OMG, that's the one I'm thinking of.  He looked at the guy to his RIGHT!  I mean, how in the heck would he even block that guy?  ughhhhhhh

3 hours ago, Mark O said:

The defense was atrocious and the 3rd and 20 blitz is what happens when you have an over aggressive coach calling the plays and every team knows it, which is why we get burned for at least 3 screen passes per game.

I wouldn’t be so quick to blame the coach for the blitz. It was only 4-5 guys on said 3rd and 20. 

I think it’s the discipline of the young lineman who are just pinning their ears back on 3rd and long, without the awareness of “hey, the logical thing for the offense to do here is.... call a screen pass”

Coaching can only do so much, sometimes players need to learn the hard way.

6 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

I wouldn’t be so quick to blame the coach for the blitz. It was only 4-5 guys on said 3rd and 20. 

I think it’s the discipline of the young lineman who are just pinning their ears back on 3rd and long, without the awareness of “hey, the logical thing for the offense to do here is.... call a screen pass”

Coaching can only do so much, sometimes players need to learn the hard way.

Its well documented that Williams is an aggressive coach who likes to blitz a little bit too much and teams have been taking advantage of it all season.

27 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Its well documented that Williams is an aggressive coach who likes to blitz a little bit too much and teams have been taking advantage of it all season.

I have been watching. Thanks.

Did you even read what I said about the blitz and HOW the players are not accounting for situational football?

Even if there is a blitz, the rushers should be AWARE of the screen pass and drop back to defend. It’s bad defense.

4 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

I have been watching. Thanks.

Did you even read what I said about the blitz and HOW the players are not accounting for situational football?

Even if there is a blitz, the rushers should be AWARE of the screen pass and drop back to defend. It’s bad defense.

Thats all true as well.  But it's a dumb coaching decision to even have any extra guys rushing when its 3rd and 20.

5 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Thats all true as well.  But it's a dumb coaching decision to even have any extra guys rushing when its 3rd and 20.

Yea but it’s also difficult dropping back in zone with our subpar/banged up secondary and letting Mahommes carve us up

I was a pissed as anyone but there was no stopping KC yesterday with the talent we had on defense.

I don't care about the injuries when it's 3rd and 20 and we give up 25 or whatever it was.    I've never said I expected to stop them.  No one has stopped them all season but I don't think it's too much to ask for our defense to force a punt once or twice, particuliarly when you have the team at 3rd and 20.

23 minutes ago, Mark O said:

I don't care about the injuries when it's 3rd and 20 and we give up 25 or whatever it was.    I've never said I expected to stop them.  No one has stopped them all season but I don't think it's too much to ask for our defense to force a punt once or twice, particuliarly when you have the team at 3rd and 20.

I agree, they should’ve had the stop on 3rd and 20. I blame the whole line for not identifying the screen in time.

It was 4 or 5 guys fault, there should be one rusher on EACH SIDE accounting for a screen, especially on second and 3 and 8+. If they all blitz like idiots, they’ll get burnt... like idiots..

Just read that on the blocked punt, the Chiefs had the return on....they didn't even go for the block. 

AAAAHHHH 

14 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

End of my rant.

Mike

Sorry Mike, but tackling is no longer a "fundamental".  The "hit", the biggest "impact collision" you can make is what is coached now.

But it really doesn't matter about defense in today's NFL, either.  So, there really isn't much point about railing on about whether or not they tackle.

17 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

OMG, that's the one I'm thinking of.  He looked at the guy to his RIGHT!  I mean, how in the heck would he even block that guy?  ughhhhhhh

I mentioned this earlier, somewhere... hopefully, somebody sits down with NJoku and talks to him about that. What the heck? Maybe the oline was supposed to shift so NJoku could fly out into space ...or...what?

and on the one screen pass - which was the one I was yelling _"screen pass, watch for the..." and they ran the screen pass and the Browns weren't ready. I belive that Schobert and Ward would have stuffed it.

13 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Just read that on the blocked punt, the Chiefs had the return on....they didn't even go for the block. 

AAAAHHHH 

It seemed to me that the punter was really lollygagging it on that play....taking his good old time getting that kick off.

If I didn't know better (and maybe I don't know better) it looked like the fix was in on that play.

Archived