THE BROWNS BOARD

Ryan has high hopes for the D

ballpeen

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

BEREA, Ohio -- The Ryan family knows defense.

It goes back to Buddy Ryan, whose revolutionary 46 scheme led the 1985 Chicago Bears to a Super Bowl. It's transferred down to Buddy's twin sons, Rob and Rex Ryan, who have been very good defensive coordinators in the NFL. Now Rex Ryan is a first-year head coach for the New York Jets.

Meanwhile, Rob Ryan is spending his first season as defensive coordinator with the Cleveland Browns. He has high hopes for a unit that finished No. 26 in the league last year and collected just 17 sacks in 16 games.

Rob Ryan says he's in Cleveland to change that.

"I know one thing," he said. "What we're going to have here in Cleveland is an attacking defense. It's going to be an exciting defense, and we're going to play great football."

Rob Ryan praised individual players Wednesday such as defensive tackle Shaun Rogers, cornerback Eric Wright and linebackers D'Qwell Jackson and Kamerion Wimbley, all of whom are working with Rob Ryan for the first time.

The Browns' defensive coordinator also said he's going to mix things up. He even hinted that the Browns will use some variations of the 46 defense to create havoc on game days.

Buddy Ryan also is expected to make an appearance in Cleveland this summer, according to his son.

"Right when training camp starts he's going to be here," Rob Ryan said. "He's a Cleveland Browns fan."

So why isn't Buddy Ryan also a Jets fan?

"I don't know," Rob Ryan said with a smile. "Maybe he likes them, too."

I sure hope Rob isn't as emotional and stupid as his dad. Hey, Gilbride deserved to be swung at, but things like trying to kill Eric Swann in the desert heat of a preseason game is just stupid.

Guest TheJokersWILD

It goes back to Buddy Ryan, whose revolutionary 46 scheme led the 1985 Chicago Bears to a Super Bowl. It's transferred down to Buddy's twin sons, Rob and Rex Ryan, who have been very good defensive coordinators in the NFL. Now Rex Ryan is a first-year head coach for the New York Jets.

Meanwhile, Rob Ryan is spending his first season as defensive coordinator with the Cleveland Browns. He has high hopes for a unit that finished No. 26 in the league last year and collected just 17 sacks in 16 games.

"I know one thing," he said. "What we're going to have here in Cleveland is an attacking defense. It's going to be an exciting defense, and we're going to play great football."

Rob Ryan praised individual players Wednesday such as defensive tackle Shaun Rogers, cornerback Eric Wright and linebackers D'Qwell Jackson and Kamerion Wimbley, all of whom are working with Rob Ryan for the first time.

The Browns' defensive coordinator also said he's going to mix things up. He even hinted that the Browns will use some variations of the 46 defense to create havoc on game days.

Buddy Ryan also is expected to make an appearance in Cleveland this summer, according to his son.

"Right when training camp starts he's going to be here," Rob Ryan said. "He's a Cleveland Browns fan."

Lets not forget that Rex also had the benefit of having guys like Ray Lewis, Ed Reed,T.Suggs,Cris McCalister,Ngata. Sounds like Rob wants to do some of the things Rex did in Baltimore but when you have all the guys I mentioned it makes it a little easier. I am excited this but not totally hyped

Now THIS gets me excited.

2,400 posts about how Derek Anderson sucks .... nothing.

1,475 posts about Donte Stallworth's punishment ...not a thing.

One post about Rob Ryan excited about an attacking defense featuring the misused talents of Rogers, Wright, Jackson and Wimbley ... and I am sporting major wood!

Zombo

Now THIS gets me excited.

2,400 posts about how Derek Anderson sucks .... nothing.

1,475 posts about Donte Stallworth's punishment ...not a thing.

i agree completely. it's great to know that ryan really was hamstrung by al davis' corpse in oakland and that he'd prefer to run an aggressive, attacking defense as opposed to the garbage that he was forced to play.

it's also great to see we'll be using some 4-6 looks, though i hope we'll be using more 4-6 concepts and keeping a 3-man front.

though it's more related to the 'what will satisfy you as a fan this year' thread, i didn't post what will make me happy, but it's an attacking defense and 30+ sacks. i don't care how many points we give up, i don't care how many big plays we get gashed for, and i don't care where we're ranked.

all i want us to do is attack the offense, dictate what they can get instead of reacting to what they're doing, and make plays in the backfield.

regardless of the offense's performance, i'll be happy with 2009 if the defense plays well.

Maybe Ryan wont be to scared to call in a blitz or two during the game. I just hope that he is bright enough to make in game decisions and adjustments.

Now that is something we have not seen in a few years.

Just the words "Attacking Defense" has me excited.... I've witnessed too many years of playing not to lose & lets keep it close in the 4th quarter and maybe we can steal a win.....

Attack from the get go and don't be predictible.... It's about time for a change and I'm excited.... get er done.....

peace

T.Dawg

Just the words "Attacking Defense" has me excited.... I've witnessed too many years of playing not to lose & lets keep it close in the 4th quarter and maybe we can steal a win.....

Attack from the get go and don't be predictible.... It's about time for a change and I'm excited.... get er done.....

peace

T.Dawg

Yep...I don't mind watching them lose a FIGHT, but you need to hit a bully FIRST & HARDEST. I'm as excited as you are.

Mike

all i want us to do is attack the offense, dictate what they can get instead of reacting to what they're doing, and make plays in the backfield.

jewdago, that comment for me sums up the D for last season perfectly. I recently subscribed to a NFLgamepass and have been watching every game we played last season over the last week or so and a reactive backfiled defense is exactly what we had. And the same few players making a difference, Rogers , Jackson and, well just those two really.! Not only was it a reactive defense but it was a slow reactive defense - Watching the Denver game broke my little heart. Slow and reactive was the cause of that (and Winslow's pass int penalty + 2 drops ;))

So yes, if we have a D that is not predictable, gets the best out of the edge, cos I know the centre is going to be sharp and starts to play in a dictatorial style, I too will be happy regardless of results this year. It's all about the D for me.

I sure hope Rob isn't as emotional and stupid as his dad. Hey, Gilbride deserved to be swung at, but things like trying to kill Eric Swann in the desert heat of a preseason game is just stupid.

LOL!

Old school guys did old school things especially when they got old. TODAY they got medications for guys like that. It's a new era Riff.

As for Rob Ryan, I think he passed the test in Oakland. If he was going to try to kill a knucklehead, I'm pretty certain he would have caved where there were numerous temptations. Even Lane Kiffen went bruise free after he publicly alienated himself from the defensive coaching staff. Ryan was the classier guy there IMO.

I haven't seen ALOT of RR outside of the way he was able to overwhelm our offense the last time we played Oakland. That said, RR looked like he had control over his emotions and intensity. We needed a Josh Cribbs return for 1 of our only TDs that day.

That article Ballpeen shared excites me. I've been waiting to hear we're going to ATTACK people on defense instead of the usual absorb, tuck and retreat crap.

- Tom F.

Well, what's encouraging to me about our new coordinators is this: There is no doubt Eric Mangini is highly respected in NFL circles.

How do I know? Brad Seely doesn't leave New England unless he believes in Mangini and what could happen here. Ditto for Rob Ryan, who although he was dying to get out of Oakland, had other D-coordinator jobs out there for him but chose to come here.

Compare that to Crennel's first two coordinators: Carthon and Grantham. 'Nuff said. How about any of Crennel's coordinators?

As far as Daboll goes, I think Mangini is flipping the script here. Belichick took a chance on Mangini because he liked what he saw in him at an early age. Mangini is employing that same philosophy with Daboll and if everything goes to plan, you may hear Daboll's name sooner rather than later as a hot commodity in the NFL.

Having quality coordinators in this league is the essential ingredient to being competitive on a weekly basis in this league. The Browns can now say they have at least two of them with hopefully the third a star in the making.

Great article Peen...Thanks for posting it!

THAT'S what I want to see in the morning...besides hot babes :P

Also, we have to realize that blitzing often pays even better dividends when we dont blitz at all, that way, when we fake the blitz, QB's will take the bait, chuck it early, only to realize that our LB's and safeties backed off into zone coverage. PICK 6!!!!

peace

T.Dawg

At one of the mini's that I was at the defense lined up in a 5 man front with both OLBs having their hands on the ground. The OL was looking around like "What the shit" and as Anderson went under center and snapped the ball Rogers dropped back into coverage over the middle and Fraley was standing there like,"Who do I block". It probably doesn't need to be said that Anderson threw the ball away because the, hot receiver (TE Rucker) wasn't going over the middle to catch the ball with Rogers standing their(surprised how athletic he was) and they soon surrounded Anderson with what could have been a sack and strip in real time tackle football. It was some second team OL guys but just amased me how Ryan changes up the fronts and disquises coverages and where the pressure is coming from.

As has been reported, they are using Wimbley all over the field. One time with Bowens in at SILB they brought Wimbley in and he played off of Roger's shoulder and bulol rushed from the inside. Bowens slid out to cover the outside and Elam came up in the box. It was sweet looking. Ryan has also been on Wimbley some for always trying to speed rush from the outside and let's himself get taken out of the play. He is making him bull rush as a primary move and made him run a few times for speed rushing and getting taken out of the play by Thomas which left Coleman only standing in the way of the FB with Hadnot releasing to attack the ILB and creating a big hole to run through. Something like we have been seeing for the last few years. Ryan only had Wimbley speed rush to the outside when he ran a stunt that way.

So, everything looks more calculated and well coached. Also love how he alternates the safeties bringing them up in the box and moving them around. Sometimes they are on the outside and sometimes they are inside and sometimes they are in a cover two look and the corner blitzes whith the LBs dropping deep.

But, he said they need to perfect technique first then the moving of people around and blitzes will work.

I got to say I really like his approach and what he wants to do.

i agree completely. it's great to know that ryan really was hamstrung by al davis' corpse in oakland and that he'd prefer to run an aggressive, attacking defense as opposed to the garbage that he was forced to play.

it's also great to see we'll be using some 4-6 looks, though i hope we'll be using more 4-6 concepts and keeping a 3-man front.

though it's more related to the 'what will satisfy you as a fan this year' thread, i didn't post what will make me happy, but it's an attacking defense and 30+ sacks. i don't care how many points we give up, i don't care how many big plays we get gashed for, and i don't care where we're ranked.

regardless of the offense's performance, i'll be happy with 2009 if the defense plays well.

I pray we actually blitz and put some pressure on the QB from our MLB position....my biggets peeave with Dqwell is he is horrible at pass rush from up the gut. We need to pressure the pocket from the inside. I'll be happy if we attack the middle

Anderson went under center and snapped the ball Rogers dropped back into coverage over the middle and Fraley was standing there like,"Who do I block". It probably doesn't need to be said that Anderson threw the ball away because the, hot receiver (TE Rucker) wasn't going over the middle to catch the ball with Rogers standing their(surprised how athletic he was)

With a guy like Rogers and his incredible athletic ability (not just at his size, but for anybody) this is how you take advantage of that ability.

As has been reported, they are using Wimbley all over the field. One time with Bowens in at SILB they brought Wimbley in and he played off of Roger's shoulder and bulol rushed from the inside. Bowens slid out to cover the outside and Elam came up in the box. It was sweet looking. Ryan has also been on Wimbley some for always trying to speed rush from the outside and let's himself get taken out of the play. He is making him bull rush as a primary move and made him run a few times for speed rushing and getting taken out of the play by Thomas which left Coleman only standing in the way of the FB with Hadnot releasing to attack the ILB and creating a big hole to run through. Something like we have been seeing for the last few years. Ryan only had Wimbley speed rush to the outside when he ran a stunt that way.

This should be pounded into Wimbley's head in the next 2 mos before the start of the season. If he can develop into what we need, with Rogers and Jackson completeting the trio up front, we could crack the top 15 this season. The talent is there.

trust me guys, rob ryan(as well as his brother) are really smart, this defense will be leaps better than what we've seen the past few years.

I'm not so sure about the OC(don't know anything about him really), but our DC was the best possible choice we could have had.

btw, not to side track, but I'm glad the browns are finally going forward, I know you'd say we've been saying the same things the past decade every time we got a new management, but this is the first time I've felt confident.

I'm just glad we didn't get that jerk Josh Mcdaniels, he is single handlely dismantling the broncos.

Shep, I like your enthusiam but Wright isn't a shutdown corner and neither is McDonald. That isn't a bad thing because we will be playing a lot of cover two. Pool and Elam aren't really a "GREAT" safety tandem. But, compared to what we had they may seem so. Pool is a little slow to react at times but he is getting better and Elam is good, not great.

I do like our DL a lot and Jackson is geting better every year. He is a star in the making. Wimbley hasn't shown that he is a physical freak for awhile and the other side is Bowens and Hall which is an upgrade again, but certainly not devastating.

Barton is an upgrade but he also isn't a dominate SILB. I do love his smarts though. Depth is a lot better then in the past. I just wish I could be as happy about this defense as you. A solid work in progress and hopefully it's a middle of the league performance unit. Don't get them mixed up with the Ravens or Steelers though.

That being said, keep it up, your enthusiam is catchy.

I dont care what you guys say, our corners are great! Both of them (We all know I really like Mcdonald) Last year they put up some pretty solid numbers while having virtually NO pass rush, just imagine what theylle be able to do this year when they dont have to man up for 15 seconds a play, its gonna be a pick frenzy out there, and expect B-mac to make some TFL's and record a sack or two as well

I could be completely off, but I think Mel Tucker got a bad rap. Every once in a while you'd see a great scheme and have 4 or 5 guys around the quarterback, but I think he was handcuffed by Romeo's "bend but don't break" gameplan. I guess we'll never actually who was responsible for what, but I remember too many moments of Alex Hall or Nick Sorensen or someone blowing up plays in the backfield to put the blame on Tucker. If he was actually calling all the rush 3, drop 8 defenses it's a different story and he's very much to blame, but based on everything else that's happened since he took over, I have to put that on Romeo.

Definitely excited to see Ryan appearing to be in control of the defense, it seems like Mangini is pretty confident in his coordinators and I can't wait to see this in action.

I was always amazed how much badmouthing our DBs took, especially since opposing QBs & receivers had so much time to work on them. How many Hall of Fame DBs have you seen who played on teams that had no pass rush?...my bet is NONE!

I am totally pumped to watch our defense this year...it's going to be a question of how quickly the players adapt to the new system.

Mike

Ryan: Defense will attack

Steve King, Contributor to ClevelandBrowns.com

After listening to him in a question and answer session with the media on Wednesday, it was clear that the personality of defensive coordinator Rob Ryan will be the personality of the Browns defense.

Ryan, in his first year with the Browns after spending the last five seasons with the Oakland Raiders in the same role, didn't hesitate to describe what the Browns defense will be like - in 2009 and beyond.

"I know one thing, we'll be an attacking defense and an exciting defense," Ryan said.

"I've had success coaching both in college and the pros, and I can tell you that my guys always play hard. They play like (heck). The number of times my guys have quit I can count on one hand.

"They're going to fight and play just like the people in Cleveland would want us to."

Ryan inherits a unit that, like the team overall in the eventual 4-12 finish, struggled in 2008. That was especially true in stopping the run, where the Browns finished 28 in the 32-team NFL by giving up an average of 151.9 yards per game, and in sacks, where the club had just 17 last year, the lowest total since the franchise began tabulating sack totals in 1963.

"I know the last three years we didn't stop the run (in Oakland), but in my life, I've stopped the run. You can look it up," Ryan said. "And we'll get it done here. We had a rough year in Oakland, not just defensively, but I'm not going to point any fingers."

Ryan is correct. The Raiders did well defensively, particularly a gainst the run, in his first couple years with them.

He particularly likes two of the pieces he has in Cleveland, Pro Bowl nose tackle Shaun Rogers and lightning-quick inside linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, and thinks they can help the run defense get turned around.

"I've been around a lot of good players, a lot of good defensive linemen," Ryan said. "I was around Warren Sapp (in Oakland). But Shaun Rogers is tremendous, absolutely tremendous."

Ryan said he's "really impressed" with Jackson.

"The sky's the limit for that young man," he said. "A blind man can see his talent."

As for increasing the sack totals, Ryan said, "Obviously, 17 is a low number. I'm not sure what the problems were. I'm sure we'll do better, but it's a work in progress."

Ryan, though, knows how important sacks are in the performance of a defense as a whole. While he was still going to college, he got to watch his father, Buddy Ryan, serve as defensive coordinator of the 1985 Chicago Bears as they bludgeoned their way to a Super Bowl title.

"Growing up watching the Bears, you could see that getting a lot of sacks was a great style of play for the fans," he said. "But sacks also allow you to get off the field and, most importantly, create turnovers."

Outside linebacker Kamerion Wimbley could be key in getting more sacks. After all, in 2006 he set a club rookie record by getting 11 sacks. But he's had two less than that - nine - in the last two years combined.

"Numbers don't always tell the whole story," Ryan said. "The young man has a great ability to rush the passer. We're working with him to use his hands well, and we're also working with him on doing more bull rushing and speed rushing."

He added, "I think he'll have a tremendous season for us."

The Browns base defense will be a 3-4, but Ryan said he'll use some of the famed 46 scheme his dad made famous.

"Eric (Mangini, head coach) is a huge fan of the 46," he said. "He was the one who got them to run it in New England."

There will be other looks - other nuances - as well.

"We want to be multiple," Ryan said. "We want to have multiple players in different spots to cause confusion."

Archived