THE BROWNS BOARD

I don't get all the Baker hate

stillmotion

12 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Wasn't Rosen supposed to be the arrogant one in this draft class? :ph34r:

Wasn't he supposed to be the best pure passer and most "pro-ready" as well?

54.2% comp pct, 68.8 rating, 31.1 Qbr

Baker is going to be Baker. No one in that locker room or that building has a problem with Baker.

In fact no one I know, non-Browns fans alike, have a problem with him.

Then again, no one I know is offended by "Baby It's Cold Outside" either.

Maybe, just maybe, it's just talking points to grab our eyes, ears and mice  ... and with Baker ... He's a star ... A star that speaks his mind.

NFL all-time TD leaders ... all terrific leaders ... Everyone of them has been called "arrogant"

1. Peyton Manning

2. Drew Brees

3. Tom Brady

4. Bret Favre

5. Dan Marino

6. Phillip Rivers

7. Ben Roethlisberger

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

When Baker said the receivers needed to have correct depth and also come back to passes to break them up, it didn't strike me the wrong way in the least. It seemed like genuine analysis from Baker, and not finger pointing. And you know what? Baker is actually right.

Was he right Sunday? With the unlikely exception of the Joseph INT his receivers had no shot at breaking up the pass.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Was he right Sunday? With the unlikely exception of the Joseph INT his receivers had no shot at breaking up the pass.

The first pick could've definitely been prevented, but not by Callaway, as Higgins was the intended receiver.  Higgins didn't appear to be looking for the throw or something, it's really hard to tell.  He actually appeared to be waiting for the ball to land in his hands, which is what I believe Mayfield is talking about.  It seemed as if Higgins could've made a play on the ball for sure, and even if he couldn't break up the INT, he would have at least tackled the guy and saved the pick-6.  The second one was a late throw and an other-worldly break on the ball by defender.  It shouldn't have been thrown whatsoever, and I can't see what the receiver did wrong, unless he took the route a bit too deep or something.  Bottom line, the defender was literally waiting for Baker to throw that exact route.  Just what I see.  🙂

Baker made mistakes, but he's had more criticism for a rookie QB than I can remember.

RG3 never got this type of criticism. It wasn't until his sophomore season that he got any criticism. People like Cowherd say his personality isn't that of a leader or a QB.

I guess we can't stop the media from making outlandish claims. Baker destroying teams makes me infinitely happy though, as I'm going to love to see these media personalities eat their words.

10 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

Baker made mistakes, but he's had more criticism for a rookie QB than I can remember.

RG3 never got this type of criticism. It wasn't until his sophomore season that he got any criticism. People like Cowherd say his personality isn't that of a leader or a QB.

Goff's rookie year wasn't all the long ago. Perhaps you need Ginko Biloba... ;)

As for RG's rookie year... there simply wasn't much to criticize. It's up there with some of the best in recent seasons.

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

The first pick could've definitely been prevented, but not by Callaway, as Higgins was the intended receiver.  Higgins didn't appear to be looking for the throw or something, it's really hard to tell.  He actually appeared to be waiting for the ball to land in his hands, which is what I believe Mayfield is talking about.  It seemed as if Higgins could've made a play on the ball for sure, and even if he couldn't break up the INT, he would have at least tackled the guy and saved the pick-6.  The second one was a late throw and an other-worldly break on the ball by defender.  It shouldn't have been thrown whatsoever, and I can't see what the receiver did wrong, unless he took the route a bit too deep or something.  Bottom line, the defender was literally waiting for Baker to throw that exact route.  Just what I see.  🙂

We see very different things then.

Even the announcers called Callaway as the first pick's intended. If it was for Higgins, then Higgins ought to kick Baker in the nuts for trying to get him killed. Ball was so high that Higgins did not think Cunningham could reach it. Higgins even turns to look at Callaway as Cunningham stretches to make the pick. BTW.... Callaway did not settle in the hole in the zone where Baker was throwing so if Cunningham did not pick it, one of the DBs (Joseph, I think) had a shot at it.

As I said earlier, Joseph baited Baker on pick #2. He passed Callaway to the inside, held his position for a beat, then (when no other Brown showed to give him flat responsibility) started his close. Hook meet line and sinker...

19 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Goff's rookie year wasn't all the long ago. Perhaps you need Ginko Biloba... ;)

As for RG's rookie year... there simply wasn't much to criticize. It's up there with some of the best in recent seasons.

We see very different things then.

Even the announcers called Callaway as the first pick's intended. If it was for Higgins, then Higgins ought to kick Baker in the nuts for trying to get him killed. Ball was so high that Higgins did not think Cunningham could reach it. Higgins even turns to look at Callaway as Cunningham stretches to make the pick. BTW.... Callaway did not settle in the hole in the zone where Baker was throwing so if Cunningham did not pick it, one of the DBs (Joseph, I think) had a shot at it.

As I said earlier, Joseph baited Baker on pick #2. He passed Callaway to the inside, held his position for a beat, then (when no other Brown showed to give him flat responsibility) started his close. Hook meet line and sinker...

I for sure think Goff was criticized and that it was justified to a certain extent, but I never saw anyone attack his personality like Baker's. And Goff didn't even know on hard knocks which direction the sun sets.

3 hours ago, stillmotion said:

I guess we can't stop the media from making outlandish claims. Baker destroying teams makes me infinitely happy though, as I'm going to love to see these media personalities eat their words.

RG3 had a much better rookie year.

2 hours ago, BaconHound said:

RG3 had a much better rookie year.

But all of the sportscasters didn't say Tannehill, Foles, Cousins, and Wilson would all be better quarterbacks than him during that year when he was balling out like Cowherd has said about Baker. 

Are we saying that the argument Baker will fail because of his attitude is valid? Because that's what they're arguing. That's what Cowherd argues everyday on T.V. He never even admitted he was wrong when calling him a bust.

My argument > He doesn't deserve all of the criticism from the Hue situation, especially when Jameis Winston's sexual assault case was settled. No talk about that. Why does Baker get all of the hate? Because the networks want to see Cleveland fail and him be a bust for headlines.

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Here's why Damian Woody and Steven A. hate him....  But Jamis? Not a peep...  Colin just wants him to fail so he can say he was right... 

image.png.14424a9deee4d1bd3cbe498897bddc0a.png

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/06/29/jameis-winston-uber-driver-sexual-assault-suspension-statement

Mr. Winston once said, "Girls should be silent, polite, and gentle." I disagree.

On 12/3/2018 at 2:46 PM, stillmotion said:

People just love to hate on Bake in the media. It's really making me kinda angry. First Mangini said he was overrated and didn't give him any credit vs. Cincy, then Damien Woody bashes him over and over again. The whole "Hue Jackson is a victim of Baker" narrative, and then hacks like Colin Cowherd saying today that, "Lamar Jackson tore up a pathetic Bengals D and Falcons D, Baker faced a decent D like the texans, and he's gonna find out a lot more of the Defenses are exactly like the Texans than the Bengals". That Cowherd statement is ridiculous. The texans have a top D, Watt, Clowney, and there isn't more than 14 other teams as good as or better than them. "Lamar tore apart Atlanta and Cincy's Defense too and kept his mouth quiet. Baker should just keep his mouth shut and play, that's part of what's wrong with him as a QB" Cowherd said.....

Shannon Sharpe saying today on Undisputed that he played horrible over and over again and  that he's mediocre..... It's just endless. I've never seen this much hate against one player. I think all of these media fools want baker to fail and be a bust and for the Browns to suck. They want to keep their damn lolbrowns stories and for us to be a joke and irrelevant, and it scares them we might be competitive. How come Josh Rosen, Lamar, Josh Allen, and every other young QB isn't held even close to the standard Baker is?

I hope Baker doesn't be quiet. I hope he continues to grow and get better and tear up defenses. And I really hope someone in the media for once has his back. Drew Brees played horrible but no one says a WORD about that. Nothing. But Baker is just a mediocre guy after facing one of the best defenses? Shannon says the 49ers QB is mediocre and threw for a lot of yards too, but for christ sake, Baker is far from mediocre.

When he makes a mistake these fools slam him, and when he does something good they give him no credit. 

On 12/3/2018 at 2:46 PM, stillmotion said:

People just love to hate on Bake in the media. It's really making me kinda angry. First Mangini said he was overrated and didn't give him any credit vs. Cincy, then Damien Woody bashes him over and over again. The whole "Hue Jackson is a victim of Baker" narrative, and then hacks like Colin Cowherd saying today that, "Lamar Jackson tore up a pathetic Bengals D and Falcons D, Baker faced a decent D like the texans, and he's gonna find out a lot more of the Defenses are exactly like the Texans than the Bengals". That Cowherd statement is ridiculous. The texans have a top D, Watt, Clowney, and there isn't more than 14 other teams as good as or better than them. "Lamar tore apart Atlanta and Cincy's Defense too and kept his mouth quiet. Baker should just keep his mouth shut and play, that's part of what's wrong with him as a QB" Cowherd said.....

Shannon Sharpe saying today on Undisputed that he played horrible over and over again and  that he's mediocre..... It's just endless. I've never seen this much hate against one player. I think all of these media fools want baker to fail and be a bust and for the Browns to suck. They want to keep their damn lolbrowns stories and for us to be a joke and irrelevant, and it scares them we might be competitive. How come Josh Rosen, Lamar, Josh Allen, and every other young QB isn't held even close to the standard Baker is?

I hope Baker doesn't be quiet. I hope he continues to grow and get better and tear up defenses. And I really hope someone in the media for once has his back. Drew Brees played horrible but no one says a WORD about that. Nothing. But Baker is just a mediocre guy after facing one of the best defenses? Shannon says the 49ers QB is mediocre and threw for a lot of yards too, but for christ sake, Baker is far from mediocre.

When he makes a mistake these fools slam him, and when he does something good they give him no credit. 

i don't think you can make any kind of assesment at this time...don't forget, we are going to have a new hc and probably a new oc....hopefully they can stick around for a long period of time whoever they are and baker can grow from there....look what happened to goff before fisher got fired...he was also being thrown under the bus...they get rid of dickhead fisher and get a good young hc and now look.....he's as good as any of the other qb's in the league...so lets see what happenes....to me, we are still in a holding pattern....

13 hours ago, browns52 said:

.look what happened to goff before fisher got fired...

I didn't like Fisher either.  Another dumb game-day coach.  But I didn't understand the hate on Goff last year.  He was a rookie playing his first games in the NFL.  

On 12/3/2018 at 11:46 AM, stillmotion said:

fuck the goddamn media they have ripped on the great people of Cleveland every chance they get even when we won the N.B.A championship they still found a way to turn into how the Indians lost in the world series the fumble and the drive maybe it makes them feel better about there own past faults SO I say fuck them these are are teams not theres and when we go on to win those cocksuckers better not even think about saying or writing a damn thing about us 

15 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I have no problem with any of that crap. Yeah it's not for a recent...

I think a lot of the hate comes from Sports pundits who pimped Rosen Jackson Allen or Darnold.

WSS

Exactly Steve- old pre draft stuff. Horrible? Let's talk Famous Jameis Winston's issues at FSU, Baker's @ OU pale in comparison....  https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/jameis-winston-incidents-timeline-091714

And in the pros, how about Winston's Uber incident. :) 

8 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Exactly Steve- old pre draft stuff. Horrible? Let's talk Famous Jameis Winston's issues at FSU, Baker's @ OU pale in comparison....  https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/jameis-winston-incidents-timeline-091714

And in the pros, how about Winston's Uber incident. :) 

How many of us did things when we were young that we wish we hadn't?   I'm always thankful I didn't have a camera crew on me all the time like these guys do.  All I care about is what he does as a member of the Cleveland Browns.  Everything else doesn't matter.  Said the same things about John Manziel, he let us all down when he was here.  Here's hoping that Baker continues to be the guy we've all deserved as fans.

Archived