THE BROWNS BOARD

Trade out of the 1st round next year and address our needs through FA...

Clevfan4life

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

How about this idea:    We keep our draft picks....use them to take more good young players...AND, fill in a few holes here and there with FA veterans. And maybe a trade or two. 

You know....sorta like what we did this year.

Traded a bad backup QB for Randall.   You know all about our draft class....picked up Landry in FA (or was he a trade too?)...and a couple of others....Perriman, Robinson, Zeitler, Hubbard  etc. 

Landry was a trade, 4th this year, 7th in 2019. In reply to Jiggins, that's why almost everyone thought Jerrah was nuts giving up a first for Cooper. And I'll lay some serious money Amari isn't their ticket to the Super Bowl. 

Regarding Zietler, FA that tightwad Mike Brown didn't want to pay.

41 minutes ago, hoorta said:

And I'll lay some serious money Amari isn't their ticket to the Super Bowl. 

Also, the Amari acquisition failing to produce the promised SB victory [never mind the reality that Dallas' win streak plausibly would have happened without Cooper because their opponents' D has been really bad {20th or lower in DVOA} outside of Saints..] won't stop people from asserting in the future that !playmakerz! alone will solve all the problems.

57 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Absolutely not.. we need first-rounders at both DL and OT. 

We tried the "best" FA OT last offseason and he is not a long-term solution.. it's bizarre this is even a topic.

We did? Who? Cause theres gonna be taylor lewan out there this year, we wanna protect baker right?

On 12/16/2018 at 8:46 AM, Dutch Oven said:

;)

wpNIWlK.jpg

Yep. I agree with D Bone...

My goodness, we're actually a competitive team for the first time since 2007, and we have yet another DRAFT thread. 

To each his own, I just find the endless draft speculation uninteresting. Merry Christmas, beat the BenGals.

15 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

We did? Who? 

Hubbard was 5/38 last offseason from Pitt, and he has been bad enough to consider cutting outright and taking the dead-money hit.  Tretter and Zeitler were two offseasons ago and those two were both the top-$$ and best FA OL at their positions on the market.. those two players alone are 19M of our annual cap. [somebody might have matched Tretter's 7 but zeitler's 12.5 is quite a lot]

Lewan is certainly worth considering, but they may want to have at least one of the OL starters be on a rookie deal.  Bitonio can't be an All-Pro on a rookie salary forever.

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I'm too lazy to look it up, but what did the Bears give up for Mack? At least one first rounder, right? And that pick isn't going to be that early, so that's a win. It's the reason I was shouting from the rooftop to make a deal for Mack before anyone else did. Normally I would NEVER entertain trading away a #1 pick, but if the player is right, and they're a young dominant force, why the heck not? I mean, I'm not even sure HOW you'd block Garrett and Mack at the same time, and if you got behind and had to pass? Yeesh. 

Anyway, you're going to start seeing this more and more. A while ago I said somebody would give up a 1st rounder for Amari Cooper and a few board members absolutely grilled me and made fun of me. Of course it actually happened and I don't look like quite as much of an idiot (well, maybe), and it's been a positive for the Cowboys. 

For far too long draft picks have been overvalued. I mean, we drafted a backup center with the 33rd pick of the draft, and lord knows what we could've gotten for it. It's too early to know if we made the right move, but we drafted a backup for Tretter, who is beasting on one leg. Hopefully Corbett works out, but I would have loved to know the offers we got for him. 

The original poster might be a little off here, but I do see his point. One of the best ways to create a winning team is to have your QB playing well at the beginning of his rookie deal. Why is that so important? Because the rookie contracts don't hold a CANDLE to the money QBs will get when it's time to re-sign. Remember the Joe Flacco $100 million contract? What choice did the Ravens have? They paid a bunch of money to their QB because the rookie deal expired and it completely screwed them. 

So while we don't want to go OVERBOARD, we do want to explore the possibility of trading some picks for players. There will always be teams trending in opposite directions. The Raiders want picks, and they're selling off their players. I'd be shocked if Derek Carr was on the team next year. If Alex Smith retires (my heart hurts for him), don't you think it'd be smart for Washington to trade for him? 

Let's look at the Khalil Mack trade again. There's almost NO WAY Mack isn't going to be great. The only real threat is injury, and you can't really predict that. Now what's the hit rate for 1st round picks? It's something we know all about. Now obviously you have to PAY Mack a shit load, but if you have the resources, why not? It's part of the reason why I wanted him so badly. We had the cash, let's make the deal. 

What makes me really excited is John Dorsey has already proven himself to be more than competent, and also someone who isn't afraid to make a big deal. It's a fun time to be a Browns fan, and how awesome is THAT? 

2 1st rounders, a 3rd, and a 6th

18 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

We did? Who? Cause there's gonna be taylor lewan out there this year, we wanna protect baker right?

Please engage brain before posting. Do you ever do a little research before throwing out names? Well I did. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/taylor-lewan-14420/

1) Lewan isn't a free agent- he signed a new deal this year giving him Joe Thomas money. Already told you once that was going to be his price tag regardless, you weren't listening. 

2) So, the only way the Browns could get him is in a trade, and if you think the Titans would trade their Pro Bowl level left tackle for anything short of a King's Ransom- you're out of your ever loving mind. 

7 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Where does that say i want a FA RB signing? U need to re read my original post, maybe do it slowly and pronounce every word....

Our current running game to.go along with baker, imo, is the foundation for a SB run....not just a 1st round playoff appearance. So is that saying RB is a "hole" in our team that im saying needs filled now in free agency? OBVIOUSLY not. 

My point is theres a couple holes in this team that if filled in free agency, may very well put this ream in the AFC championship next year. But if we use the draft, we may acquire a player that takes a couple years to pan out, if he ever does at all. Ofc, my mind may change on draft day depending on how the 1st round pans out...we dont know. Im only sayingbthis might be the year to belichick it and trade out so that we have the ammo the following year to trade higher into the round...which if things go well we'll have an even worse draft pick in 2020......get it?

Have your opinion all you want. You could be right. I commented because it seems like you are going all over the place.

And if you dont see how that message looks like you are talking about a RB "One of my biggest reasons for making this thread, is the avg lifespan of workhorses like chubb."

Maybe it wasn't your intention, just how it appears 

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

After I had both done for better distance vision (because I hike the outdoors for wildlife and vistas), I have been tested at 20/15 vision. Two things really stood out, the really vivid colors that got washed out over the years and the veins in the leaves at the tops of trees. Used to be a dull greenish mass and now they really sparkle individually! Well worth it Tom. And I got a 4X scope for my 22LR pistol because with reading glasses I can see the crosshairs real well and the target is focused downrange by the scope which I can also see very well with the reading glasses. Perfect solution for a target shooter (I only hunt animals with a camera now).🤩

Know it's OT, but had to throw this out. Relates to what you said. Before I had my cataract surgery, they did a color blindness test. Told them "hey, I've been tested a zillion times, I'm not colorblind, you're wasting your time". Well, it turns out your lens not only clouds up, it starts getting yellow, like an old piece of plastic, and it can change your perception of colors. :) 

5 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Please engage brain before posting. Do you ever do a little research before throwing out names? Well I did. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/taylor-lewan-14420/

1) Lewan isn't a free agent- he signed a new deal this year giving him Joe Thomas money. Already told you once that was going to be his price tag regardless, you weren't listening. 

2) So, the only way the Browns could get him is in a trade, and if you think the Titans would trade their Pro Bowl level left tackle for anything short of a King's Ransom- you're out of your ever loving mind. 

So...scratch that conversation.

Maybe JT will want to come back after a year off?

If not that, then who?    A rookie draft pick?  Another FA pickup?   Keep Robinson there, with Des Harrison in reserve? (Harrison is just a rookie...and does have potential...which perhaps could come to bear with experience....LOT is a tough job for a rookie)

3 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Know it's OT, but had to throw this out. Relates to what you said. Before I had my cataract surgery, they did a color blindness test. Told them "hey, I've been tested a zillion times, I'm not colorblind, you're wasting your time". Well, it turns out your lens not only clouds up, it starts getting yellow, like an old piece of plastic, and it can change your perception of colors. :) 

giphy.gif

Just now, The Gipper said:

So...scratch that conversation.

1) Maybe JT will want to come back after a year off?

2) If not that, then who?    A rookie draft pick?  Another FA pickup?   Keep Robinson there, with Des Harrison in reserve? (Harrison is just a rookie...and does have potential...which perhaps could come to bear with experience....LOT is a tough job for a rookie)

1) Scratch the Joe returning idea. He's done with playing- really done. He dropped a lot of his muscle mass when he retired- Seeing him doing commentary, I'd bet he's down to around 250 pounds, and way too much work to bulk up again.  

2) We'll see, say around March what Dorsey has up his sleeve....  

31 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

overthecap.com is my go-to contracts reference -- annual, overall against the cap, bonus, all dead money per team by player, etc

Yeah, I'm aware of it- Tour uses it too... I do occasionally...  

Is it really a horrible idea to stockpile picks for a potential trade up in future years? Maybe we already have that capital, i dunno....im doubting it cause so many good dudes coming out this year that teams would be asking too much in a trade up this year. Again, theres no mack like contract out there with the remaining FA's.

Ansah, lawrence we can get and maybe an under radar guy like Hunt

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Ok so obviously the FA list i looked at hadnt updated his status, but in any xase he was just obe name i threw out there and not the basis of this thread...so fucking what? It diesnt negate the fact that  there are multiple holes on this team  that could be filled with a FA. LT is just one option, unless they feel robinson is the long term answer. 

20 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

1) Is it really a horrible idea to stockpile picks for a potential trade up in future years? Maybe we already have that capital, i dunno....im doubting it cause so many good dudes coming out this year that teams would be asking too much in a trade up this year. Again, theres no mack like contract out there with the remaining FA's.

2) Ansah, lawrence we can get and maybe an under radar guy like Hunt

3) Ok so obviously the FA list i looked at hadnt updated his status, but in any xase he was just obe name i threw out there and not the basis of this thread...so fucking what? It diesnt negate the fact that  there are multiple holes on this team  that could be filled with a FA. LT is just one option, unless they feel robinson is the long term answer. 

1) The majority opinion is 2019 is not the year to stockpile picks. Already told you Sashi tried to kick the can down the road passing on Wentz. How did that one turn out, until Dorsey used the draft capital? Go ahead, be in denial- there is going to be plenty of talent where we pick in the first round come April. I agree with Tour- 2019 the window of opportunity is (maybe) starting to open for the Browns. As Gunz has stated, you've been so over the map on things, can't even tell where you're at. 

2) Sheeze, just go ahead and throw out another name (Ansah) while you're at it. Already told you he's been hurt. And isn't an upgrade over Ogbah. 

3) Great- use an outdated list to throw out stuff.  Please just stop with this crap- you're embarrassing yourself. 

19 minutes ago, hoorta said:

1) The majority opinion is 2019 is not the year to stockpile picks. Already told you Sashi tried to kick the can down the road passing on Wentz. How did that one turn out, until Dorsey used the draft capital? Go ahead, be in denial- there is going to be plenty of talent where we pick in the first round come April. I agree with Tour- 2019 the window of opportunity is (maybe) starting to open for the Browns. As Gunz has stated, you've been so over the map on things, can't even tell where you're at. 

2) Sheeze, just go ahead and throw out another name (Ansah) while you're at it. Already told you he's been hurt. And isn't an upgrade over Ogbah. 

3) Great- use an outdated list to throw out stuff.  Please just stop with this crap- you're embarrassing yourself. 

Well.....where can we find an accurate, up to date list of players who would be FAs after the season is over?

Understanding that that list may simply a current photograph of options.  Some of those options could close quickly with signings, retirings etc. 

53 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Omg ur Retarded, ansah just this year has 4 sacks in 6 games...ogbah has 3 in 12 games. Ansah has 48 career sacks, ogbah has 12 carreer sacks. Yes ansah has been in the league longer but he also has some seasons with 12 and 14 sacks. Go home. And u accused me of not looking shit up?

Fuck, i looked up the first FA list thst came up on google that didnt have lewans signing updated. Oooooo. You just completely blew it out ur crusty bhole calling ogbah better than ansah. Ogbahs been hurt too btw. Yeah, ansah has some injury issues but that could also mean we dont gave to overpay him. When he's healthy he's comparable to garrett. He had 16 sacks his first 2 seasons. Whats garrett have through 2, 19? So they're not far off. Garrett ofc will in all likelihood have the better carreer.....but pls check urself, ezekiel ansah would be a VAST upgrade at LDE over anything we have. 

Shit id try to get both him and hunt if possible, in Hunt we'd have a guy thats one of the strongest guys in the league and can play all over the line. Those 2 would be dmfar greater than any 2 DT/DE's we could pull out of this draft not named bosa or oliver

Not only have you doubled down...you drove that car off the cliff...sucg a bad opinion.

I'm actually coming around on trying to pry away obj from the Giants next year. With the momentum the browns have been building, with a budding star in baker being waaaaaaaay better than Eli....could probably keep the ego in check.  1st and 3rd....pocket change but nothing more for me. 

Otherwise, build through the draft..name chasing free agents is lazy fan stuff

50 minutes ago, choco said:

Not only have you doubled down...you drove that car off the cliff...sucg a bad opinion.

I'm actually coming around on trying to pry away obj from the Giants next year. With the momentum the browns have been building, with a budding star in baker being waaaaaaaay better than Eli....could probably keep the ego in check.  1st and 3rd....pocket change but nothing more for me. 

Otherwise, build through the draft..name chasing free agents is lazy fan stuff

Im doubling down but u want to sell the whole draft for a diva? He's not a bad dude per se, but man......thats a 100m contract over 5 years. 

5 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Im doubling down but u want to sell the whole draft for a diva? He's not a bad dude per se, but man......thats a 100m contract over 5 years. 

A diva that completes the offense. Then his contract runs out when baker needs signed.  We do have 11 picks, and we certainly don't need 11 more rookies.  4, maybe 5...but either way, some picks either need dealt for players, trade ups, or future picks.

9 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Im talking about filling holes with mid range con tracts......but goi g after the best wr in the league wiuld cost us more than a 1st and a measely 3rd. 

You've been all over the place, as previously noted. Dorsey already has used FA just as you've described above, which is different than your initial post tbh.

As I said....I'm coming around to idea, depending on final compensation. Much is gonna depend on the new coach, so I'm not gonna spend too much time with personnel yet

But im not all over the place, im just not sure about obj. Thats a khalil mack contract. And we dont know if obj completes the offense because he may want the ball too much....and baker spreads the wealth, always will...its obj's personality im not sure about "for this team". I like him, he's one of the funniest dudes in football...just not sure about how he gels here. And as i said, likely the giants wouldnt part with him for less than 2 first rounders. They're draftung a qb this year, and they're gonna trade the best wr in football just as they acquire a new qb? For our late 1st rounder and a 3rd?

Archived