THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Gordon Leaving the Patriots to Focus on Mental Health

jrb12711

4 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

And you obviously missed the point or didn't read it all. Nowhere in that did I say he was doing the right thing, wasnt doing something against NFL, or what was best for him.

The point was, this picture seems to have been taken AFTER he was suspended. So all he was doing, legally I would assume (since he is now suspended, is 21 and not on probation) is having a drink. He doesn't have to worry about it causing him a suspension anymore.

I just think it is wrong for people to judge others when they have no idea what they are and have gone through. Nothing wrong with you or I going and getting a drink. And before you say it, not every addict is the same. So knowing some before etc doesn't tell you the whole story for him. 

I am sure everyone here would love to have the fame and money of the young man. And even that couldn't help him. That is something that needs to be felt bad for, not talked about like he had a choice or something 

In his own words he admitted drinking was a problem so when you know you have a problem drinking having one drink is a lapse in judgment. I wasn't talking about him being suspended. His life as a nfl player is of little importance compared to his life as a person. You took up for po's post of well he is legal and only having a drink what's the big deal. I responded why it is a big deal when said person having a drink has admitted they have a problem with drinking.

Also if you believe PO that he wasnt suspended for a failed test and just truly stepped away to focus on mental health then it's sad his first instinct is to do something that would have resulted in a failed test and suspension. You can draw from that he really missed drinking and the only reason he wasn't doing so is because it would result in a failed test.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

In his own words he admitted drinking was a problem so when you know you have a problem drinking having one drink is a lapse in judgment. I wasn't talking about him being suspended. His life as a nfl player is of little importance compared to his life as a person. You took up for po's post of well he is legal and only having a drink what's the big deal. I responded why it is a big deal when said person having a drink has admitted they have a problem with drinking.

Also if you believe PO that he wasnt suspended for a failed test and just truly stepped away to focus on mental health then it's sad his first instinct is to do something that would have resulted in a failed test and suspension. You can draw from that he really missed drinking and the only reason he wasn't doing so is because it would result in a failed test.

Maybe you should reread what I said then. As I said in that post, its legal but not what he SHOULD be doing. I was taking up for Po as saying imagine it was something illegal in the NFL and some states as opposed to something legal.

My point with it being legal is people judging him when it sounds like most on here do the same thing. He just cant help it, while most here can. And people think that since he is a celebrity or athlete that it gives them the right to judge his life, and it doesn't in my opinion. 

Should we all be privy to everyone on here entire personal life or vices? In fact, how many people across the world would have their picture taken and posted online, not in a friendly manner, of having a drink?

12 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

And you obviously missed the point or didn't read it all. Nowhere in that did I say he was doing the right thing, wasn't doing something against NFL, or what was best for him.

The point was, this picture seems to have been taken AFTER he was suspended. So all he was doing, legally I would assume (since he is now suspended, is 21 and not on probation) is having a drink. He doesn't have to worry about it causing him a suspension anymore.

I just think it is wrong for people to judge others when they have no idea what they are and have gone through. Nothing wrong with you or I going and getting a drink. And before you say it, not every addict is the same. So knowing some before etc doesn't tell you the whole story for him. 

I am sure everyone here would love to have the fame and money of the young man. And even that couldn't help him. That is something that needs to be felt bad for, not talked about like he had a choice or something 

Um Gunz. OK, he's suspended. So should that be his attitude? I can't get anymore suspended- or tested, so screw it, I'm gonna get smashed before I go to rehab? I've seen a guy pounding them down right up to the minute he walked into the rehab facility. Or well, I f**ked up again, might as well have a few to dull the pain?

He did have a choice- don't do drugs & booze. He made yet another in a long series of bad choices.  Sad? Yes, but he's probably gone for at least another season. And the NFL network guys have already said he isn't the same guy from his Pro Bowl season. 

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Um Gunz. OK, he's suspended. So should that be his attitude? I can't get anymore suspended- or tested, so screw it, I'm gonna get smashed before I go to rehab? I've seen a guy pounding them down right up to the minute he walked into the rehab facility. Or well, I f**ked up again, might as well have a few to dull the pain?

He did have a choice- don't do drugs & booze. He made yet another in a long series of bad choices.  Sad? Yes, but he's probably gone for at least another season. And the NFL network guys have already said he isn't the same guy from his Pro Bowl season. 

Not to dis-respect anyone's thoughts on this - but there really isn't anything that can be said that hasn't already been said in here multiple times since Gordon arrived. Again, I lost a brother that put drugs in front of all the talent he found more of a pressure/burden than the comfortable niche everyone else carved out for him.  I never understood why he never seemed happy after some great performances in baseball and football.  He said, "I'm tired of being THE ONE listening to we're all counting on you.  The fun in that is VERY overrated!"  He started hanging around with creeps in a world he didn't think he had to worry about letting anyone down. He thought the days of telling everyone what they wanted to hear from him were done when they were actually only beginning.  A kid that was always an honor's student never graduated high school.  A kid that was always one of the best players on his teams - walked out on a starting job at OG the same year he quit high school. He always seemed more interested in my football days than his.  

Long story short, I'm soooo over hearing/reading about this drug addict on a destructive path.  His biggest talent today is the ability to look people in the face and lie. Practice has made perfect because I fell for it this last off season hook line and sinker. The trend dating back way further than Cleveland says this isn't going away any time soon unfortunately.   Even the NFL's version of Camelot in NE couldn't alter his path to further trouble ahead.   Right now, he's lucky it's only curtains on his football career.  Let's hope somewhere in all this he realizes the kid he created is WORTH the effort to fight his addiction. 

On 12/21/2018 at 6:25 AM, Orion said:

He's not in the system.  He's not stage 1, 2, 3 or stage left even.     All he has to do is have a clean system for the routine drug test that all the players get.  When that is I don't know.

Testing period has been in August during TC. Test clean and you're done for the year unless you are involved in an "incident".

As for Haden's adderall situation... I believe PEDs are separate from the recreational drug program.

On 12/22/2018 at 12:18 AM, hoorta said:

And it's a damn good educated guess Tour. In this case, past performance DOES indicate future results.  :)  

I was not talking about Gordon in my comment, h.... I was referring to your knowledge of the terms of the NFL's drug policy.

On 12/21/2018 at 2:03 AM, flyingfooldoug said:

WOW! Pretty amazing how more hand wringing is done for some back stabbing junkie that gives two shits about Cleveland than celebrating coming out of the dark ages which were caused by the likes of Gordon.

Some of us can multitask...

8 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Testing period has been in August during TC. Test clean and you're done for the year unless you are involved in an "incident".

As for Haden's adderall situation... I believe PEDs are separate from the recreational drug program.

I was not talking about Gordon in my comment, h.... I was referring to your knowledge of the terms of the NFL's drug policy.

Some of us can multitask...

I’ve been in Texas. That just means drink and drive

13 hours ago, hoorta said:

You too are missing my point, so maybe it's me who is not saying it well.

I am in no way condoning his actions. Like I said I dont drink or do drugs. Have had many friends and family who had a problem, and while I can drink and not have a problem, they couldn't.

My point is not well I'm already suspended so might as well go ahead and do more, my point with the picture is that at that time he was already suspended, probably for drugs, so at that point he isn't doing anything that is illegal, so its really just making him look worse.

And sure, you can say in a vacuum he had a choice, but I don't look at it that way. His addiction made the choice for him. Which to me only goes to show that addiction doesnt discriminate, it can affect the most talented wealthy just as the guy who lives on the street. Either way, I dont think that just because he plays a sport or is a celebrity that it gives me or anyone else the right to judge him or know everything about him. 

Merry Christmas, God Bless, and remember the reason for the season 

On 12/21/2018 at 12:48 PM, The Gipper said:

In 5 years a guy like Gordon won't be tested, won't be suspended or anything.....unless he gets into some legal trouble....and unless there is some clear affect that the smoking of weed/drinking/wtfever  actually affects the on field performance.

I agree. We are a gradually increasing permissive society. However....this bullshit of punishing people for what they do on social.media or on their personal time is despicable. People who report others are the problem THOSE are the fuckers the wold would be better off without.

-------------------------------------------------------The star wideout landed back on the commissioner’s exempt list Thursday, reportedly for multiple violations of the league’s substance abuse policy — and not just marijuana. But before slipping up, Gordon first had to elude sophisticated security assigned to him by the Patriots, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Sunday, citing sources.

“The New England Patriots had an elaborate security plan in place to try to prevent the exact slipup that cost wide receiver Josh Gordon this season and quite possibly his NFL career, sources tell ESPN,” Schefter wrote. “The Patriots assigned people to be with Gordon at all times so that he could avoid the temptations that landed him on the suspended list last week, according to sources.

“Sources believe that Gordon somehow eluded New England’s security team during the team’s Nov. 18 bye weekend.”----------------------------------------------------------

He's a piece-a-work ain't he.......

He's an ignoramus...As much as I love Marijuana.. Even I could lay off it a few months if I had to... What a DOPE!.. No Pun!

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

3382454-3927218730-2560d.jpg

C'mon.  This actually is Good PR (in a strange way) for the Browns.

It shows that we were NOT the dumb-a$$ Browns, that gave a good player away for peanuts.  -  Some had portrayed us that way.

Heck, he 'eluded' his watchers on the bye week.  I'm half-waiting for someone to post a picture of him wearing a blond wig and calling himself Bobby. :) 

1 hour ago, Orion said:

C'mon.  This actually is Good PR (in a strange way) for the Browns.

It shows that we were NOT the dumb-a$$ Browns, that gave a good player away for peanuts.  -  Some had portrayed us that way.

Heck, he 'eluded' his watchers on the bye week.  I'm half-waiting for someone to post a picture of him wearing a blond wig and calling himself Bobby. :) 

Bobby Gordon hooking up with Billy Manziel in Vegas? 

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Bobby Gordon hooking up with Billy Manziel in Vegas? 

Doesn't that sound about right for those two....

And it's sad because one of 'em had the size, speed and talent to be in the Hall Of Fame.  Instead he's destined for the Hall Of Shame.

Archived