THE BROWNS BOARD

disconnect with reality in this board on bounty hunter/Kitchens and the search....

Tacosman

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

if you guys are ok with the 30th ranked defense in the league going into next year when it's very conceivable we can step on the entire AFC north's neck....

I don't think anyone is happy being ranked 30th in defense. LOL, guess who's 31st? The Chiefs. :) 

For the record, the other playoff teams are:  Eagles #23, Patriots #21, Rams #19, Seahawks #16, Saints #14, Texans #12, Colts #11, Chargers #9, Cowboys #7, Bears #3, Ravens #1.  PS the Jaguars were 5th in total defense, and sucked because their quarterback situation sucked.

I don't think anyone has the Ravens or Bears as odds on favorites to win the Super Bowl, even with their great defenses. Sure, we have to improve the defense, especially the run defense. It won't take much incremental improvement to drastically improve in that respect though. FWIW the difference between the Browns defense and the Rams is 35 yards\game, and the Rams only gave up 8 fewer points than the Browns over an entire season- less than one per game. Plus that yardage might be skewed because Cleveland played in four overtime games, some which went the full 10 minutes.  

Just now, flyingfooldoug said:

One thing on the D. We didn’t give up a ton of points. Injuries in the secondary didn’t help either. I figure a little more, better talent will do wonders next year. Blake was the one calling D plays after the hue flu too

talent wise im happy with that entire D except for two positions, interior DL and LDE. 

NFL Team Rushing Defense Statistics - 2018

Statistics: Total | Downs | Passing | Rushing | Receiving | Returning | Kicking | Punting | Defense | Give/Take
Season: Select One2018 Regular Season2017 Regular Season2016 Regular Season2015 Regular Season2014 Regular Season2013 Regular Season2012 Regular Season2011 Regular Season2010 Regular Season2009 Regular Season2008 Regular Season2007 Regular Season2006 Regular Season2005 Regular Season2004 Regular Season2003 Regular Season2002 Regular Season
League: NFCAFCNFL
Offense | Defense

Rushing Yards Leaders

RK TEAM ATT YDS YDS/A LONG TD YDS/G FUM FUML
1 Chicago 339 1280 3.8 32 5 80.0 5 4
2 New Orleans 356 1283 3.6 28 12 80.2 4 2
3 Houston 385 1323 3.4 39 8 82.7 6 4
4 Baltimore 354 1327 3.7 35 11 82.9 2 1
5 Dallas 400 1513 3.8 68 12 94.6 7 4
6 Pittsburgh 369 1538 4.2 51 13 96.1 5 1
7 Philadelphia 332 1551 4.7 90 14 96.9 6 1
8 Indianapolis 415 1626 3.9 34 12 101.6 5 2
9 LA Chargers 395 1693 4.3 43 11 105.8 6 2
10 Detroit 403 1

2 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

how more people aren't miffed about dropping 16 spots on the total team defense is beyond me. 

Duh.....because they went from  -0- wins to 7?   Also.....you are looking at the wrong stat.

How do they compare from 2017 to 2018 in points given up per game?

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Duh.....because they went from  -0- wins to 7?   Also.....you are looking at the wrong stat.

How do they compare from 2017 to 2018 in points given up per game?

product of being on the field less. Offense scoring points forces the opposing offenses to change game plans. That being said I "FULLY" acknowledge that this defense came up huge at certain crucial points in the season. The talent is there to be a top 5 defense. It's the scheme that I started to take issue with about midway through the season. I started to see shit that made no sense. But we were winning, so what right? Well we could have been in the playoffs if that defense was more settled "imo". I just wonder if firing Hue made WIlliams lose a little contact with the defense. Maybe another interim HC should have come in? I dunno. But that defense is why we're not playing next Sunday. 

5 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

if you guys are ok with the 30th ranked defense in the league 

We moved up a spot eh?  We were ranked 31st most of the time that I was lookin'.

Apparently, Dorsey interviewed Williams yesterday.  He got that out-of-the-way.  And I guess Kitchens will get an interview too.

Although I too liked what these two guys did for our team when H&H were shown the door, I feel that we've seen the last of them on our home sidelines.  (and I've said pretty much that since Hue was fired)

Dorsey will hire a new HC.  This new HC will hire his coordinators.  (that's just how these things are 'supposed to' work)  This new HC will not know Kitchens from a bath room  :).   (tongue in cheek.  he will know what happened to the Browns over this past year)

Now, Dorsey may tell this new HC that he should probably interview Kitchens...and explain what a great job he did with Haley's offense, Baker, and the rest of the offensive players....but ultimately the new HC will hire who he wants.

24 minutes ago, Orion said:

Apparently, Dorsey interviewed Williams yesterday.  He got that out-of-the-way.  And I guess Kitchens will get an interview too.

Although I too liked what these two guys did for our team when H&H were shown the door, I feel that we've seen the last of them on our home sidelines.  (and I've said pretty much that since Hue was fired)

Dorsey will hire a new HC.  This new HC will hire his coordinators.  (that's just how these things are 'supposed to' work)  This new HC will not know Kitchens from a bath room  :).   (tongue in cheek.  he will know what happened to the Browns over this past year)

Now, Dorsey may tell this new HC that he should probably interview Kitchens...and explain what a great job he did with Haley's offense, Baker, and the rest of the offensive players....but ultimately the new HC will hire who he wants.

Not so certain we've seen the last of Williams- and certainly not Kitchens. But it was telling when they played a sound byte of Dorsey tonight on Red Zone on what he was looking for in a head coach. First thing out of his mouth was "high character guy". Could well be the foot dragging on Williams is Dorsey doesn't view him as such.   

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

Not so certain we've seen the last of Williams- and certainly not Kitchens. But it was telling when they played a sound byte of Dorsey tonight on Red Zone on what he was looking for in a head coach. First thing out of his mouth was "high character guy". Could well be the foot dragging on Williams is Dorsey doesn't view him as such.   

While true, this is from a Canton paper.

On if Williams' past NFL suspension is a strike against him as it relates to considering character for the position:

"I think he has paid his penalty for that."

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/1/2/18163069/nfl-coaching-carousel-2019-dos-and-donts-browns-packers-dolphins-bengals

From the article for the Bengals:

Don’t: Hire Hue Jackson by any means.

Jackson was 3-36-1 in 2.5 seasons with the Browns. That wasn’t enough to stop Lewis from hiring his former offensive coordinator back to his staff this fall, where he was snubbed and stared down by Baker Mayfield in a pair of losses against Cleveland. The Bengals were 1-6 with Jackson on their staff, but that didn’t stop Lewis from recommending Jackson for his old job on the way out.

That would be a bad idea.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/1/2/18163069/nfl-coaching-carousel-2019-dos-and-donts-browns-packers-dolphins-bengals

From the article for the Bengals:

Don’t: Hire Hue Jackson by any means.

Jackson was 3-36-1 in 2.5 seasons with the Browns. That wasn’t enough to stop Lewis from hiring his former offensive coordinator back to his staff this fall, where he was snubbed and stared down by Baker Mayfield in a pair of losses against Cleveland. The Bengals were 1-6 with Jackson on their staff, but that didn’t stop Lewis from recommending Jackson for his old job on the way out.

That would be a bad idea.

It would be a great idea- from an AFC North & Browns standpoint. At least until Hue gets fired again. :D

I get the sense as each day goes in that Williams isn't a Dorsey guy and retaining Kitchens is a top priority. I wouldn't be upset at all if we kept the coaching the same, but Williams showed some cracks in the armor in coaching situations down the stretch. Kitchens at least IMO has to be woo'ed to stay at all costs, even if it means offering the HC gig.

Simple truth though is that I'm unsure why anyone wouldn't blindly follow the lead of what Dorsey thinks is best. The only guy I'd truly not understand is Jim Caldwell, but that may have been a Rooney Rule interview.

Cleve...

You keep harping on yards. You rightly noted that our Offense created pressure on the opposition to score.... but the opposition didn't... at least not to the extent they did in prior years.

Last year our turnovers gave short fields to the opponents regularly. We gave up cheap points early and often, and the lack of threat by our O gave opponents much of the 2nd-half off most Sundays. If you don't have far to go or need points, then you don't rack up yards.

Of your top ten run Ds... five are paired with top ten scoring Offenses (#3 NO; #5 IND; #6 LAC; #8 PTG and #9 CHI) and two more are added if we look at the top 13 (#11 HOU and #13 BLT). We all know that opposing teams abandon the run when they are down.

The other three are: #18 PHI, #22 DAL and #25 DET... two wild cards and an also ran.

Bottom line... you need proficiency on both sides of the ball to succeed and while we are not there yet, we made huge strides on both sides in 2018... in lockstep.

Archived