THE BROWNS BOARD

Bengals fans taking OBJ trade well...

jbluhm86

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Give that man a beer... Pilsner On Call is correct!

As for your yeast question... lucky for you there's an old ChemE in the house. ;) It's called "temperature control". ;);) Circulate the beer/ agitate the tank/ throttle the gas... likely used a combo of all three.

Bigger question is HTF do you "cold brew"??? :wacko: Yeast need warm to do their job...

I tried the Gator stuff Tour. Too bitter an aftertaste for me. I liked the cheaper Abita Amber better. I'm giving the rest of the Gator to my IPA loving son in law.

BTW here is how Coors does it. https://www.coors.com/process

13 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Give that man a beer... Pilsner On Call is correct!

As for your yeast question... lucky for you there's an old ChemE in the house. ;) It's called "temperature control". ;);) Circulate the beer/ agitate the tank/ throttle the gas... likely used a combo of all three.

Bigger question is HTF do you "cold brew"??? :wacko: Yeast need warm to do their job...

Regarding "cold brew" Tour- had to look  up the exact number, but I knew from  my home winemaking some yeasts work just fine  at lower temperatures, just way  more slowly. :) For lagers you can go as low as 40 degrees, though the range is up to 54 degrees. Don't know  about  you, but I'm  thinking if you sat outside when it was 45 degrees in just a tshirt and shorts, you'd think it was pretty cold.

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Regarding "cold brew" Tour- had to look  up the exact number, but I knew from  my home winemaking some yeasts work just fine  at lower temperatures, just way  more slowly. :) For lagers you can go as low as 40 degrees, though the range is up to 54 degrees. Don't know  about  you, but I'm  thinking if you sat outside when it was 45 degrees in just a tshirt and shorts, you'd think it was pretty cold.

We talking Fahrenheit, Celsius, or Kelvin?

16 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

LOL, you're being funny I hope.  Fahrenheit of course.  40 Celsius is over 100 degrees F.  40 Kelvin is just a tad colder than liquid nitrogen....  

Since we're talking really cold stuff, one thing I regret is never having had the opportunity to play with liquid helium.  At around 4 degrees Kelvin, it's only that much above absolute zero, as cold as anything can get in the universe, and it does some pretty wild things. If you poured liquid nitrogen into liquid helium, it would freeze.  :)  

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I tried the Gator stuff Tour. Too bitter an aftertaste for me. I liked the cheaper Abita Amber better. I'm giving the rest of the Gator to my IPA loving son in law.

BTW here is how Coors does it. https://www.coors.com/process

Interesting... I'm not an IPA guy (had a good APA once) and I really liked the Gator... but then I was chomping on crawdads at the time... fried and etouffeed.

8 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Rankine!

16 hours ago, hoorta said:

LOL, you're being funny I hope.  Fahrenheit of course.  40 Celsius is over 100 degrees F.  40 Kelvin is just a tad colder than liquid nitrogen....  

Since we're talking really cold stuff, one thing I regret is never having had the opportunity to play with liquid helium.  At around 4 degrees Kelvin, it's only that much above absolute zero, as cold as anything can get in the universe, and it does some pretty wild things. If you poured liquid nitrogen into liquid helium, it would freeze.  :)  

If l recall correctly from science class true zero has never been achieved, but l thought we got closer than 4 degrees Kelvin? Supposedly that’s the key to cryogenic freezing.

5 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

If l recall correctly from science class true zero has never been achieved, but l thought we got closer than 4 degrees Kelvin? Supposedly that’s the key to cryogenic freezing.

I had to research it for you, absolute zero can't be obtained- but we've gotten mighty close. Like within 0.0001 of a degree Kelvin. Let's just say, for all practical purposes, we've gotten there.  

:)  If you're talking cryogenic freezing of bodies for thawing them out in the far future- MHO is it's never going to happen, at least with any technology we currently have. A little personal history. I worked in a Blood Bank reference lab. There's big problems freezing organic stuff for permanent storage. If you remember water expands when it freezes, right? And what's a primary constituent of living cells? Yup, water. We had\have an inventory of super duper rare cells (by comparison AB negative- 1 in 180 persons, is common as dirt compared to a few that were 1 in 50,000- or the only known example in the world type) permanently frozen in liquid nitrogen. Regardless how careful you were in the freezing, when you needed to thaw them out- you always got maybe a little, maybe a lot of those red cells that didn't survive the process. Same thing is happening to those few who thought freezing them will let them be thawed out in the future is the ticket. The few brain cells that survive is all that's going to be left- the rest is going to be some exploded mush.   

17 hours ago, hoorta said:

I had to research it for you, absolute zero can't be obtained- but we've gotten mighty close. Like within 0.0001 of a degree Kelvin. Let's just say, for all practical purposes, we've gotten there.  

:)  If you're talking cryogenic freezing of bodies for thawing them out in the far future- MHO is it's never going to happen, at least with any technology we currently have. A little personal history. I worked in a Blood Bank reference lab. There's big problems freezing organic stuff for permanent storage. If you remember water expands when it freezes, right? And what's a primary constituent of living cells? Yup, water. We had\have an inventory of super duper rare cells (by comparison AB negative- 1 in 180 persons, is common as dirt compared to a few that were 1 in 50,000- or the only known example in the world type) permanently frozen in liquid nitrogen. Regardless how careful you were in the freezing, when you needed to thaw them out- you always got maybe a little, maybe a lot of those red cells that didn't survive the process. Same thing is happening to those few who thought freezing them will let them be thawed out in the future is the ticket. The few brain cells that survive is all that's going to be left- the rest is going to be some exploded mush.   

Exploded mush...... sounds like what a stealer fan has between the ears

• Haha 1