THE BROWNS BOARD

Gulf of Tonkin 2.0?

jbluhm86

BBC World News: Gulf of Oman tanker attacks: US says video shows Iran removing mine

Reuters: 'Flying objects' damaged Japanese tanker during attack in Gulf of Oman

Not to sound like our resident conspiracy wonks here, but it does seem odd to me that a supposed magnetic mine laid out underwater could "fly" into a tanker, attach itself and explode well above the water line. Perhaps some of our Navy vets on here could help clarify.

I was stationed at a Mine assembly shop in Okinawa.  This was quite some time ago, but to my knowledge there are no such mines.  Most mines explode beneath the keel and the bubble from the explosion can actually cause the keel to crack, thereby causing severe damage or sinking.  This sounds more like a missile attack.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limpet_mine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-handling_device

US releases video it claims shows Iran removing mine from tanker ...

8 hours ago - The US has blamed Iran for previous attacks on oil tankers, saying Iranian-made limpet mines were used to attack four oil tankers on May 12 off ...

So, the iranian ship knew the limpet mine had no anti-handling device because.....they knew it was there because..... they put them there.
and they've done it in the past.

11 hours ago - DUBAI - Iran said on Friday it was responsible for maintaining the security of the Strait of Hormuz in the Gulf, state radio reported, adding that ...
Strait of Hormuz - Wikipedia
The Strait of Hormuz is a strait between the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman. It provides the only sea passage from the Persian Gulf to the open ocean and is one of the world's most strategically important choke points. On the north coast lies Iran, and on the south coast the United Arab Emirates .... Samuel B. Roberts striking a mine laid in the channel by Iran on 14 April.

The Washington Post Goes To Bat For Iran, Blames Trump For Tanker Attacks

Trump’s existence has driven the media absolutely insane.

We’ve now reached the point where Trump is being blamed for the attacks of a terrorist regime, not because he didn’t do enough or was negligent, but because he didn’t cave to their demands.

https://www.redstate.com/bonchie/2019/06/13/washington-post-goes-bat-iran-blames-trump-tanker-attacks-instead/

9 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

The Washington Post Goes To Bat For Iran, Blames Trump For Tanker Attacks

Trump’s existence has driven the media absolutely insane.

We’ve now reached the point where Trump is being blamed for the attacks of a terrorist regime, not because he didn’t do enough or was negligent, but because he didn’t cave to their demands.

https://www.redstate.com/bonchie/2019/06/13/washington-post-goes-bat-iran-blames-trump-tanker-attacks-instead/

From the BBC article I posted earlier:

What we know about the explosions

"According to the US account of events, US naval forces in the region received distress calls from the Norwegian-owned Front Altair at 06:12 (02:12 GMT) and from the Japanese-owned Kokuka Courageous at 07:00, following explosions, and moved towards the area.

It said the USS Bainbridge observed Iranian naval boats operating in the area in the hours after the explosions, and later removing the unexploded mine from the side of the Kokuka Courageous.

The crews of both vessels were evacuated to other ships nearby. Both Iran and the US later released pictures showing rescued crew members on board their vessels.

BSM Ship Management, which manages the Kokuka Courageous, said the ship's crew abandoned ship after observing a fire and an unexploded mine.

Apparently disputing the US version of events, Yutaka Katada, the president of the ship's operator, Kokuka Sangyo, said members of the crew had reported "that the ship was attacked by a flying object".

The Kokuka Courageous was about 30km (20 miles) off the Iranian coast when it sent its emergency call..."

This isn't about Trump or "siding with Iran" to spite Trump; it's about pointing out the legitimate discrepancies in the accounts of what happened. Sad to say, but our government has a track record willingness to perform borderline black flag operations to draw us into conflict with countries we're at odds with, hence why I named this thread "Gulf of Tonkin 2.0". And with that track record, coupled with the tanker crew eyewitness accounts being different from what the official story our government is putting out, I think it's pretty reasonable to have a healthy dose of skepticism on what actually went down.

33 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

It's a setup. I smell either the minorrah lighters or the dirty Saudi kuntlords. 

Cringy-wording aside, it's entirety possible. Iran is a major threat to the security of Israel, and the Mossad is among the best in the world at black ops, and the Saudis are major economic competitors in the region, coupled with all the joys that Sunni-Shiite conflicts bring with it. And neither the Israelis nor the Saudis have the military might to go it alone against Iran.

58 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limpet_mine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-handling_device

US releases video it claims shows Iran removing mine from tanker ...

8 hours ago - The US has blamed Iran for previous attacks on oil tankers, saying Iranian-made limpet mines were used to attack four oil tankers on May 12 off ...

So, the iranian ship knew the limpet mine had no anti-handling device because.....they knew it was there because..... they put them there.
and they've done it in the past...

NBC News: Japanese tanker owner contradicts U.S. officials over explosives used in Gulf of Oman attack

The Japanese owner of a tanker attacked in the Gulf of Oman claimed Friday that it was struck by a flying projectile, contradicting reports by U.S. officials and the military on the source of the blast.

U.S. Central Command said the two vessels were hit Thursday by a limpet mine, which is attached to boats below the waterline using magnets. U.S. Central Command released video it claimed showed an Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps patrol boat removing an unexploded mine from one of the tankers, the Kokuka Courageous.

But on Friday morning, the owner of the 560-foot Courageous, said that sailors saw something flying toward the vessel just before the explosion and that the impact was well above the waterline.

"We received reports that something flew towards the ship," said Yutaka Katada, president of Kokaku Sangyo Co. at a press conference. "The place where the projectile landed was significantly higher than the water level, so we are absolutely sure that this wasn’t a torpedo.

"I do not think there was a time bomb or an object attached to the side of the ship."

U.S. officials have not yet responded to the claims. But President Donald Trump reiterated U.S. allegations that Iran was behind the attack, telling the Fox News Channel that the incident had "Iran written all over it."

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Thursday that the weapons used and the level of expertise behind the attack suggested Tehran is the culprit..."

so a mine was retrieved that was unexploded on the lower side of their ship, but they deny it was a mine that damaged them.

right.

Iranian vessels were in the area... their terrorist cohorts could have launched from those iranian ships, and put the mines in place.

If something flew at their ship, it could have been something that set the mines off.

Only an anti-American asswipe would pay iran 1.7 BILLION in cash, to not put mines etc in the Straight of Hormuz.

Yeah, that was Obamao.

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I'm just about positive Iran was behind this.  

I'm not saying that they aren't, and they are probably the most likeliest of suspects at the moment. Just the timing of the attack, the nationality of the stricken tanker, and the discrepancy between the official report and eyewitness testimony seems a bit odd to me.

well, the iranians shot a missile at our drone, it missed, fell into the sea. don't know if it exploded. that could explain what the captain of the ship saw.

and iran has mined a few times in the past.

in april this year, they threatened to shut down the Strait ....

pretty good idea, I think, that they are doing the crap. not reason to go to war...

8 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

well, the iranians shot a missile at our drone, it missed, fell into the sea. don't know if it exploded. that could explain what the captain of the ship saw.

and iran has mined a few times in the past.

in april this year, they threatened to shut down the Strait ....

pretty good idea, I think, that they are doing the crap. not reason to go to war...

I don't want to see us go to war but we cannot allow Iran to continue to get away with this. As this affects so many countries dependent on that oil any actions we take we should not have to take alone but with the support of the international community. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I don't want to see us go to war but we cannot allow Iran to continue to get away with this. As this affects so many countries dependent on that oil any actions we take we should not have to take alone but with the support of the international community. 

- GDub Bush 2003

these radicals have existed for many centuries, Logic. We didn't create them, although obaMao commie FUNDED THEM 

with 1.7 BILLION

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2019/06/13/report-uk-officials-covered-up-iranian-bomb-plot-in-london-during-negotiations-over-nuclear-deal-n2547854

President Obama signed of on the JCPOA without the consent of Congress, a strong bipartisan majority of which was opposed to his administration's plan.  By ignoring the will of the legislative branch, the temporary nature of Obama's action allowed his successor to withdraw the United States from the fatally flawed deal.  All of the other major players have stayed within the framework.  Except, that is, for Iran, which announced in May its intention to ignore certain provisions it no longer wants to follow unless new demands are met (in addition to pre-existing and fundamental violations):

• Report: UK Officials Hid Iran-Sponsored London Bomb Plot From the Public Amid Nuclear Deal Debate
  •  
  •  
  •  

Report: UK Officials Hid Iran-Sponsored London Bomb Plot From the Public Amid Nuclear Deal Debate

Guy Benson
|
|
Posted: Jun 13, 2019 10:25 AM

Report: UK Officials Hid Iran-Sponsored London Bomb Plot From the Public Amid Nuclear Deal Debate

Source: AP Photo/Matt Dunham

One of the chief criticisms of the Iran nuclear deal -- aside from its permissiveness on substance, effectively guaranteeing the regime's ability to become a threshold nuclear state when various restrictions sunset -- was that its supporters in Western governments prioritized their own desperation for an agreement above virtually all other considerations.  One thinks of the 'secret side deals' that granted Tehran even more concessions, the impotence of officials who admitted Iran's violation of the accord's "spirit" while doing nothing, and the pallets of cash paid directly to the regime's leadership in exchange for hostages -- and the accompanying lies.

President Obama signed of on the JCPOA without the consent of Congress, a strong bipartisan majority of which was opposed to his administration's plan.  By ignoring the will of the legislative branch, the temporary nature of Obama's action allowed his successor to withdraw the United States from the fatally flawed deal.  All of the other major players have stayed within the framework.  Except, that is, for Iran, which announced in May its intention to ignore certain provisions it no longer wants to follow unless new demands are met (in addition to pre-existing and fundamental violations):

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani declared Wednesday that the country would partially stop complying with a landmark nuclear deal it signed in 2015 with six other nations...On Wednesday, Rouhani said in a nationally televised speech that he informed the other signatories of the deal -- Britain, China, France, Germany and Russia -- that they had 60 days to decide to either pull out of the deal or trade for oil with Iran in violation of U.S.-imposed sanctions, the New York Times reported...He said the country would stockpile low enriched uranium and heavy water and that it would restart its Arak nuclear reactor, which it shuttered and partially dismantled under the agreement, if Iran is not compensated for losses it will incur following Trump's April 25 cancellation of temporary waivers permitting countries including Iraq, Turkey, India, Japan and China to purchase Iranian oil without breaking U.S.

sanctions..."Otherwise, the Islamic Republic of Iran will stop compliance with its other undertakings in consequent phases," the Supreme National Security Council said.

Terrorists linked to Iran were caught stockpiling tonnes of explosive materials on the outskirts of London in a secret British bomb factory, The Telegraph can reveal. Radicals linked to Hizbollah, the Lebanese militant group, stashed thousands of disposable ice packs containing ammonium nitrate - a common ingredient in homemade bombs. The plot was uncovered by MI5 and the Metropolitan Police in the autumn of 2015, just months after the UK signed up to the Iran nuclear deal. Three metric tonnes of ammonium nitrate was discovered - more than was used in the Oklahoma City bombing that killed 168 people and damaged hundreds of buildings.

Jun 8, 2018 - When it comes to the Iran nuclear deal, the Obama administration increasingly appears to have been a bottomless pit of deception.
Dec 22, 2017 - But for those who followed the events surrounding the Iran deal, it fits a pattern of Obama administration behavior and is entirely believable.
  • Upvote 1

Cal, ISIS wasn’t running an entire region of the Middle East before we ousted Saddam and Gaddafi. There is a reason why those places needed dictators. I can assure you that we would have rather been dealing directly with a dictator than some loose affiliation of terror orgs.

The Saudis knew damn well what would happen if they didn’t keep a grip on it. During the Arab Spring, they crushed potential opposition before it started. It is a fucked part of the world that requires a tight squeeze to keep from going off the rails. Shit whipping the Iranians in the manner we did Iraq then expecting everything to be kosher is a large degree of misplaced optimism.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Cal, ISIS wasn’t running an entire region of the Middle East before we ousted Saddam and Gaddafi. There is a reason why those places needed dictators. I can assure you that we would have rather been dealing directly with a dictator than some loose affiliation of terror orgs.

The Saudis knew damn well what would happen if they didn’t keep a grip on it. During the Arab Spring, they crushed potential opposition before it started. It is a fucked part of the world that requires a tight squeeze to keep from going off the rails. Shit whipping the Iranians in the manner we did Iraq then expecting everything to be kosher is a large degree of misplaced optimism.

Agree, we only end up ousting a tight knit group of thugs...only to be replaced by another tight knit group of thugs.

There’s a reason the Middle East has been a region of violence for thousands of years.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

agreed - except for the terrorism that iraq was making a fortune off of. My buddy was in intel over there, and all I ever learned, was about giant warehouses upon warehouses of arms and all sorts of bad things, far far more than Iraqi armies could ever use. It was being donated/sold to terrorist groups all over the middle east and elsewhere.

saddam and sons were ruthless rapists/torturers sadists and they funded terrorism a lot. The problem is nation-building after the fact.

The middle east isn't a place for a democracy like outs - hate by the arabs is historical for ...ever? All over the middle east, you can see satan vs God. It will never end - the Bible said that so long ago - still exactly holds true.

But when I asked my friend if we should have gone into Iraq in the first place, he did not hesitate, but emphatically said yes,absolutely - except the American people won't know the reasons why - if they did, they would all be on board with agreeing.

That is serious stuff to me...