THE BROWNS BOARD

Now scumbucket not much of a human being Tlaib demands $20 minimum wage

calfoxwc

well, dang, why not just make it a hundred bucks an hour? Of course, inflation will go up again, so make it...

this dirtbag should be in gitmo, she's a screwed up hater.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/rep-rashida-tlaib-now-says-minimum-wage-should-be-20-everything-has-gone-up

If bartenders, waiters, and bathroom attendants are making $20 an hour they're not getting a tip from me.  Has anyone ran this reality passed the "tipped" workers?  Probably not.

At Ponderosa Buffet (Does that place still exist in Ohio?) that may be a hit, but not with a legit bartender who understands I pay him because  I know that's how he earns a living.  

Now the customer doesn't have the incentive to tip and they don't have the incentive to care about your order.

If you make a career move into a tipped profession, on purpose, you are lost at sea.  

• Upvote 1

its possible she may have a point about how the cost of basic goods has gone up since the push for $15 started. Certainly if u live in NY...$15 is like .15c. But $15 here in NE Oh is plenty. calling for Nationwide $20/hr is just more pandering unfirtunately and its in lieu of having a rational nationwide discussion about lpcations and types of business's that should be compelled to provide a higher MW.

Small business's should not be held to the same wage standards as 100B+ multinational vorporations like mcdonalds

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

well, dang, why not just make it a hundred bucks an hour? Of course, inflation will go up again, so make it...

this dirtbag should be in gitmo, she's a screwed up hater.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/rep-rashida-tlaib-now-says-minimum-wage-should-be-20-everything-has-gone-up

Exactly Cal, this woman is out to lunch with a crackhead idea like that. A $20 minimum wage would kick off an unbelievable inflationary spiral.  Those currently making $20 an hour are going to want $30, and the $30 buck an hour folks will want $40 and so on. It looks great on paper, but when all is said and done, your $20 an hour aren't going to buy you any more purchasing power than you're currently making at $10. LOL, as the poverty line for a family of four ratchets up to $50,000 or so. We're going to have the richest poor people in the world. 

Meanwhile the retired folks on a fixed income are screwed, as they watch their retirement savings vanish off into the sunset. Shit, at $20 bucks an hour, I'd go back to work at McDonald's for a few hours a week. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, htownbrown said:

If bartenders, waiters, and bathroom attendants are making $20 an hour they're not getting a tip from me.  Has anyone ran this reality passed the "tipped" workers?  Probably not.

At Ponderosa Buffet (Does that place still exist in Ohio?) that may be a hit, but not with a legit bartender who understands I pay him because  I know that's how he earns a living.  

Now the customer doesn't have the incentive to tip and they don't have the incentive to care about your order.

If you make a career move into a tipped profession, on purpose, you are lost at sea.  

If quality service is dependent on a tip then every service industry should have tips. But other industries and other countries seem to get along fine. 

I think it would be easier to raise wages and prices of goods in a restaurant and just call it a day.

23 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

If quality service is dependent on a tip then every service industry should have tips. But other industries and other countries seem to get along fine. 

I think it would be easier to raise wages and prices of goods in a restaurant and just call it a day.

Of course you do. And also eliminate Commission sales while we're at it. Absolves us of that archaic idea of better compensation for better performance.

WSS

16 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Says the partcipation Strongsville HS gradeuate.😂

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

So then why isn't EVERY profession tipped?

Actually they probably should be. At least in a lot of cases. But especially in the case of servers or someone who is the liaison between the company and the client or customer people actually do return to your establishment and ask for a particular server or salesperson.

I seek out the servers Live Gold make good service and tip very well I seek out sales professionals that I get along with and trust and they make more money on commissions.

As for myself yes I use a tip bucket on the island but almost nowhere else. If somebody throws money in it it's because I've done something that made their visit more enjoyable.

That's why I'm there that's why there are sales people and that's why friendly and pleasant servers are valuable. They should not be paid the same as the server who is a dick.

It's probably harder to do in some jobs just because the end-user doesn't deal with the engineer, for example, directly. But there's no reason that you shouldn't get paid more than the engineer in the same office who does a shitty job.

WSS

Tips shouldn't be a necessity is what I'm saying. Servers shouldn't make so little they need tips. I feel like there's too much variation there. 

You don't need tips to make more than someone that's bad at their jobs. In your engineer example you have bonuses, merit increases, and just generally being better and getting access to better jobs. 

10 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Tips shouldn't be a necessity is what I'm saying. Servers shouldn't make so little they need tips. I feel like there's too much variation there. 

well that's true. If the kitchen fucks up the order, a server usually takes the hit.

You don't need tips to make more than someone that's bad at their jobs.

not necessarily bad, just not excellent. And for excellent service I will come back to a restaurant. For average there are a thousand places I can go.

In your engineer example you have bonuses, merit increases, and just generally being better and getting access to better jobs. 

good luck selling that to a profession that's basically personality-based. Anybody can bring the food to the table but not anybody can have the personality to make customers want to return. So how do you give one server a bonus just because people like him or her better? Great bartender will make you a lot more money than an average bartender. And make a lot more tips.

WSS

5 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I'd rather see the base pay be not dependent on tips, still allow tips if a customer really wants to, and put it on the company to reward their top performers. Like I said, just seems more consistent.

Like I say good luck with that. Two servers do the same thing but one is more charismatic. Tell me how you pay one of them more money without the other one going to the Labor Relations Board.

WSS

41 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Like I say good luck with that. Two servers do the same thing but one is more charismatic. Tell me how you pay one of them more money without the other one going to the Labor Relations Board.

WSS

With merit increase and/or a bonus. I gave one of my employees more of a bonus than another because they did a better job... there's no issue there. 

4 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

With merit increase and/or a bonus. I gave one of my employees more of a bonus than another because they did a better job... there's no issue there. 

Not talking about a better job as I think you know. They both take the orders they both bring the food to the table they both remember which setting gets what. One of them is more charismatic or prettier. People will come back to see him or her. How do you pay that person more then somebody else? They're doing the same job equally well.

WSS

47 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Also by paying servers a bunch of money you're probably adding ten bucks why to they cost of every meal. Depending on how many tables and the cost of the dinner.

Plus tell any good bartender he gets no more tips but you're raising his salary to 15 bucks an hour, or 20.

WSS

You're adding cost to the meal but removing the tip. It should be a wash. 

Waiters or bartenders at the top locations would just demand more pay. Or, again, people can still give tips. 

For less lucrative tipping locations, I'd think a liveable wage would be preferable.

3 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Not talking about a better job as I think you know. They both take the orders they both bring the food to the table they both remember which setting gets what. One of them is more charismatic or prettier. People will come back to see him or her. How do you pay that person more then somebody else? They're doing the same job equally well.

WSS

Charisma is a desired characteristic of the job. It's a trait that can warrant more pay. 

Attractiveness is more of a gray area but I'm sure it's affecting who gets hired already. 

38 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Guarantee you waitresses would much rather have the low pay plus tips.  They can make much better money.  They also are 'supposed' to give a percentage to the bus boys and dishwashers.  The dishwashers probably work harder than anyone else.

As a busboy in high school I can tell you what I received varied a lot, while making under minimum wage. (Though I obviously didn't need to live off of it)

6 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

As a busboy in high school I can tell you what I received varied a lot, while making under minimum wage. (Though I obviously didn't need to live off of it)

I would pay the Busboys minimum wage. And the bar backs. And the food runners. And the hostesses. A lot of places do and still those four employees are trying hard to become servers and bartenders.

WSS

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

well u dont pay them more money...u oay them the same base wage and ket customers decide who gets paid more

.... need to differentiate between the service industry and manufacturing. I think it's similar - a waitress is responsible for good service to get tips. Manufacturing is responsible for good quality products. But tipping a car salesman? He is far and away removed from the quality of the product being produced. In the restaurant, the waitress talks to the cook(s) directly.

The waitress is in direct line of provided service, of food that was immediately cooked. And her service should get rewarded. But not if they already were getting 15/20 bucks an hour.

Furthermore, I believe a school system in a town should be responsible to the citizens of that town. So, if the school system starts teaching against societal family values in that town, the folks in town get mad, and won't pass the next requested school levy.

Which, I'm not against - but what about holding the schools responsible for doing a good job? I'm pretty sure a waitress who got paid by the State sure the heck doesn't care about good service to a customer.

Which also pertains to state/federal employees. Like Pres Trump said - in the VA, you could NOT FIRE an employee who was terrible to veterans/rotten at his job. Not ANY MORE THANKS TO PRES TRUMP !

In Ohio, I'm confused. After all the school levies over the years, the State of Ohio was ordered to come up with a better way of funding schools. So what happens to all the money from those school levies?