THE BROWNS BOARD

Callaway

alporcini

19 minutes ago, alporcini said:

Anybody heard his name? Even once?

have great hopes for him. 

The only thing I heard was that he didn't run with the first team, but we also didn't run a bunch of multiple receiver sets. Prior to camp, several people said that Callaway worked on his craft and looked to be in sensational shape. That's excellent news for us. So much attention will have to be paid to other receivers, meaning that Callaway will likely be matched up with the 3rd CB, which is a favorable event for us 9/10 times. If Callaway develops into a weapon, and don't forget he didn't play football prior to last year, our offense is downright volatile. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Prior to camp, several people said that Callaway worked on his craft and looked to be in sensational shape. That's excellent news for us.  

from what i read..It almost feels like, Freddie & staff are awarding Callaway with a early rotational break at start of camp? maybe, for how Cab showed up, ripped and in shape for the OTA's?  (🤞please no issues at break) Baker seemed to be on time with Cab at OTA's.Small rotations of Callaway & Higgins are giving Freddie what he really wants to see👀 A heated battle for WR5 & WR6..And it's a good one with Ratley out. Willies><Blake Jackson><Sheehy Guiseppi..I've read not much from Ish Hyman or J.Strong behind those 3..Baker is also seeing much needed good reps with WR5 & WR6   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

from what i read..It almost feels like, Freddie & staff are awarding Callaway with a early rotational break at start of camp? maybe, for how Cab showed up, ripped and in shape for the OTA's?  (🤞please no issues at break) Baker seemed to be on time with Cab at OTA's.Small rotations of Callaway & Higgins are giving Freddie what he really wants to see👀 A heated battle for WR5 & WR6..And it's a good one with Ratley out. Willies><Blake Jackson><Sheehy Guiseppi..I've read not much from Ish Hyman or J.Strong behind those 3..Baker is also seeing much needed good reps with WR5 & WR6   

It’s a long shot, but Sheehy making the roster would be pretty cool after reading his story

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, gumby73 said:

OK, so I just listened to the podcast and here's the deal with Callaway. First of all, Higgins is looking VERY good and isn't leaving many opportunities for anybody else. We already know Baker favors him, and Higgins could likely owe his next contract to his buddy Mayfield because if you remember, Higgins was no guarantee to MAKE the roster last year, let alone be mentioned as our 3rd starting WR. 

Second thing Freddie said about why Higgins is playing with first team was, "I like players who are where they're supposed to be." Apparently Callaway had two mental whoopsies, one that should have resulted in a pick 6 from Greedy. Higgins understands that he's not the biggest or fastest, so he HAS to get the details right, which is probably why Baker trusts him so much. 

Callaway needs to get mentally in tune with being a professional, and if he does, watch out. 

• Like 1

I agree -- "mentally in tune" is always going to be the question with Callaway.  He seems to have acquired the Martavis Bryant role on this squad.. clearly talented, but always "One Season Away From Breaking Out Because We Can't Completely Trust Him Yet."

Higgins clearly deserves the #3 spot and I can't think of a more prototypical slot receiver.. his hands are the best on the team.  All Higgins did was keep his head down and work hard even after getting waived early during the 2017 season.. and voila, he's got himself a career.  Perhaps him getting waived actually helped him appreciate/face the real world?

I don't think the Browns would ever cut bait on Callaway because he is the ideal #4 WR... but Callaway may cut himself if he decides to expect more playing time.

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Second thing Freddie said about why Higgins is playing with first team was, "I like players who are where they're supposed to be." Apparently Callaway had two mental whoopsies, one that should have resulted in a pick 6 from Greedy. Higgins understands that he's not the biggest or fastest, so he HAS to get the details right, 

Callaway needs to get mentally in tune with being a professional, and if he does, watch out. 

agree..I see where Burns reported that Cab "missed some reads back to baker & ran a pair of wrong routes" those can be camp costly & i love that the coaches aren't letting that slide..Good problem to have?> This Sheehy kid is beating Greedy deep where OBJ has not..This Blake Jackson kid is one of Bakers new best personal friends, while Blake is pulling in one hander- catches like juice & ObJ...that chit is contageous brah !!👍 Edit--(hey tia,, did Jackson or Sheehy catch punts or KO's keeping ball off ground?)he who wins may come down to a ST wizard)

• Thanks 1