THE BROWNS BOARD

wtf? Ogunjobi lookin like an OLB'er....

Clevfan4life

On 8/1/2019 at 8:00 PM, Clevfan4life said:

ali couldnt hit mikes head movement. If tyson caught him and ali went rope a doping....tyson would chop through that guard. Other men ali faced hit as hard as mike but not in such quick succession...they had to load up their power unlike mike who could uncork multiple bombs nano seconds apart that had no dropoff in power. 

Only way ali would win is if he lirerally turned his back and ran for 12 rounds. Mike in his prime was just something that was never seen before and not seen since in the HW division. 

whsts freakish is that tyson never lifted weights in his prime..before his jail stint. Just 1000's of pushups, pullups and situps daily. 

Ali was far more strategic than you give him credit for.  He knew the type of guys he could rope-a-dope vrs the type of guys he needed to stick and move against until fatigue and frustration set in.  The younger version of Ali especially had some really quick hands and feet that could enable any style necessary.  He also faced far better competition than Tyson did and nobody ever knocked him out.  Buster Douglas, not to be confused with George Foreman, got Tyson to a later round and knocked his asss out.  Douglas was a diluted version of Ernie Shavers that exposed what was possible vrs Tyson that a very weak pool of competition could rarely duplicate. Ali finished every single fight (even with a broken jaw).  He also got up after a knock down to win fights.  When Tyson fought, the competition sucked so bad guys like Michael Spinks and Evander Holyfield had to move up to the Heavyweight Class for bigger pay days. 

Who on Tyson's resume of W's was at the level of George Foreman at the time?  Sonny Liston was a lot like Tyson until he fought Ali. So was George Foreman.  Ali's sparring partner was an eventual long-time Heavyweight Champion (Larry Holmes) who also capitalized on a weaker pool of heavy weight competition.

I'm not saying Tyson wasn't fun to watch or he wasn't impressive for a while.   I'm just saying the level of competition in Tyson's era couldn't hold a candle to Ali's era. 

On 8/1/2019 at 9:43 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

Float like a butterfly sting like a bee. No one could catch Ali in his prime let alone get a good shot on him. He did the rope a dope late in his career in horrendous tropical weather. And he had a great long left jab that kept opponents from getting close as well as those quick legs.

Exactly!  Sorry, I just posted a lot of the same stuff Aggies before I read this.

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Mike Tyson may have been the most overrated heavyweight champ in history. 

Who worth anything did he ever beat? 

I missed this too before I bashed the level of competition Tyson faced.  Sorry for duplicating your point.

I don't even know if Tyson would have beaten Larry Holmes if he found Buster Douglas too overwhelming after round 1.

Tyson was wired to beat a bunch of bouncers with Beer guts, which is what he did.  He did beat 1 Olympic Gold Medalist (Michael Spinks) who  jumped up a weight class to face him. He lost to the other Gold Medalist that moved up to the heavy weight Class (Holyfield) because the heavyweight competition was too pathetic for comfort.  Heavyweight boxing pretty much took a cliff dive before, throughout and after Tyson's career.   It's not his fault; but who wants to waste any cake on pay-per-view just to see some slob with horrible fitness get knocked out in 30 seconds? 

5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

The season is going. First game is Thursday night. It may be preseason but it’s part of the season.

Unfortunately I can't see it until the replay on Friday afternoon on NFL Net.

4 hours ago, Flugel said:

Ali was far more strategic than you give him credit for.  He knew the type of guys he could rope-a-dope vrs the type of guys he needed to stick and move against until fatigue and frustration set in.  The younger version of Ali especially had some really quick hands and feet that could enable any style necessary.  He also faced far better competition than Tyson did and nobody ever knocked him out.  Buster Douglas, not to be confused with George Foreman, got Tyson to a later round and knocked his asss out.  Douglas was a diluted version of Ernie Shavers that exposed what was possible vrs Tyson that a very weak pool of competition could rarely duplicate. Ali finished every single fight (even with a broken jaw).  He also got up after a knock down to win fights.  When Tyson fought, the competition sucked so bad guys like Michael Spinks and Evander Holyfield had to move up to the Heavyweight Class for bigger pay days. 

Who on Tyson's resume of W's was at the level of George Foreman at the time?  Sonny Liston was a lot like Tyson until he fought Ali. So was George Foreman.  Ali's sparring partner was an eventual long-time Heavyweight Champion (Larry Holmes) who also capitalized on a weaker pool of heavy weight competition.

I'm not saying Tyson wasn't fun to watch or he wasn't impressive for a while.   I'm just saying the level of competition in Tyson's era couldn't hold a candle to Ali's era. 

i said career wise Ali was the goat....no question. And yes competition in the HW division had slid when mike came on the scene. But when mike lost to buster he was already in party mode....wasnt tsking fights seriously while king was skimming away his winnings.

But i dont think there can be any discussion that 19 or 20 yr old mike tyson was an animal Ali never saw. Like i said he faced big hitters, but hitters that had to wind their power....and for a skilled boxer lije Ali if u see the shot coming u can mitigate it. 

I think a nice addition to a thread would be "NTR (non topic related) chat" tag, so before checking it you would know that latter comments don't follow the OP. 

I like these chats, but sometimes if you're not in the conversarion the title becomes misleading.

52 minutes ago, Nero said:

I think a nice addition to a thread would be "NTR (non topic related) chat" tag, so before checking it you would know that latter comments don't follow the OP. 

I like these chats, but sometimes if you're not in the conversarion the title becomes misleading.

I think what is happening is that after Gipper posts some trivia thread that gets little to no reaction he starts pouting and pointing out what should be eliminated or moved in other threads. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I think what is happening is that after Gipper posts some trivia thread that gets little to no reaction he starts pouting and pointing out what should be eliminated or moved in other threads. 

No not at all you just making that up because obviously you’re pouting about something. I mention this because were holy off-topic With boxing BSjust as soccer Fagge talk is totally off topic. The question I guess I’m have to ask is do we no longer move anything that is wholly off topic   

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

No not at all you just making that up because obviously you’re pouting about something. I mention this because were holy off-topic With boxing BSjust as soccer Fagge talk is totally off topic. The question I guess I’m have to ask is do we no longer move anything that is wholly off topic   

The thing is that any given day, this thread can come back on topic with someone posting something about Ogunjobi, who hasn't got any other thread related to him (maybe McCoy/Daniels by position group?). 

Threads get moved because they're initially non football related or because they deviate so fast that the topic has a little life in the football section.

Also, mods don't get paid so I understand if they don't give a fuck about this thread being on point or not.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Nero said:

The thing is that any given day, this thread can come back on topic with someone posting something about Ogunjobi, who hasn't got any other thread related to him (maybe McCoy/Daniels by position group?). 

Threads get moved because they're initially non football related or because they deviate so fast that the topic has a little life in the football section.

Also, mods don't get paid so I understand if they don't give a fuck about this thread being on point or not.

SureSure

12 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157762028404684&id=87392379683

Obi with the mic on so camera is following him around for this building the browns episode. (He has to use the restroom before practice.) Best thing I've seen of him with pads. Definitely looks to be trimmed up. 

that video alleviates my concerns a bit. He still looks thick enough through the legs and ass. Curious as to why they had him drop upperbody mass tho. 

On 8/4/2019 at 8:24 PM, The Gipper said:

If a football thread turns to boxing, what's the harm? Feel free to talk like men.

Soccer gets moved because it is gay.

Quiddich gets deleted because we don't have a child's forum.

Zombo

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Zombo said:

If a football thread turns to boxing, what's the harm? Feel free to talk like men.

Soccer gets moved because it is gay.

Quiddich gets deleted because we don't have a child's forum.

Zombo

Lacrosse then? 

Dungeons and Dragons?

Disc golf? 

Naked Yoga?

• Zombo locked this topic