THE BROWNS BOARD

I LOVE Smarts QBs

Flugel

Not sure HOW I got accused of LOVING Dumb QBs; but evidently I did and someone got nervous and closed a thread. Are we moderating all of a sudden because people that don't understand the concept of ignore are bellyaching? We've never been this gay so let's not start now. That reminds me of the aol days when the leader gave everyone timeouts and limpwristed TOS threats every day.

I absolutely ADORE Shep on this board and we have enough respect for each other where we can agree to disagree; AND bust each other's chops in the process. He's got thick skin or he wouldn't be a freakin icon here while half our board members were still teething. There's absolutley NO FOOTBALL taking place at this time during the doldrums of summer so don't get nervous.

Shep thinks the Wonderlic really pegs football smarts and I disagree. The thread turned from Wonderlic to VY when there was a disgreement over labelling him as a stupid QB. Then we held double standards on the concept of maturity for all QBs drafted in 06 that didn't wear head condoms and start sentences with Yo. They don't draft up wonderlic content or write Shakespeare for kids living in hoods filled with gangs so if you're expecting the next Pulitzer Prize winner over someone that's good at running for his life - you're not wired to GET it. Like Shep said that's called INSTINCT and there's nothign at Indy Combines that measures INSTINCT. If you want to tell me football doesn't include INSTINCT - only #2 pencils; then God Bless ya!

If I didn't like SMART QBs as Shep alluded to - Sipe and Kosar wouldn't be my favorite QBs I grew up admiring. Furthermore, I haven't fallen for Dumb Ass because we lost TWO 10-6 ball games in 08 where Indy was unable to score an offensive TD but DA played a little Kris Kingle for a Indy fumble return for their only TD of the day and he played a little "Polly want an INT?" before halftime when we were inside Pitt's 12 yard line. If that wasn't enough, I witnessed a screen pass going for a TD to T Suggs and realized we're not seeing a QB in the process of progression. Don't tell me 10-6 margins weren't WINABLE.

And folks, NOBODY has to agree that I think a QB that went to the 32nd ranked defense and was capped out in 05 and lost 14 in a row before he took over as starter only to WIN 13 of his first 19 NFL starts is far from football stupid. That said, someone ALOT more footbll intelligent than I am drafted him 3rd overall for double digit millions? Slam dunking stupid? Not yet but let's look further at the resume: #1 rated passer in college football as JUNIOR, National Champion as a JUNIOR, UNDEFEATED in 3 Bowl Games, Mack Brown WINS the Big one all of a sudden.

1st round NFL QBs or any NFL QBs that went to at least 1 Pro Bowl aren't wired to be giddy about learning his Head Coach has another starting QB in mind. Jay Cutler wasn't exactly modeling manners etiquette when he demanded a trade.

Here's the way I view VY as capable of being successful as I witnessed in 06 when he led Tenn to 8 wins in their final 11 games with the 32 ranked Defense I showed in the Wonderlic thread. VY has ALWAYS been wired to beat contain and press the edge as well as the line of scrimmage. In 06, Travis Henry's comeback was in LARGE part to defenses spreading out horizontally to maintain some outside leverage on VY so natural gaping holes/running lanes inside were lit up by Henry. The NEXT year, VY pulled a groin/hammy so defenses didn't NEED to spread out. I know VY is thinking if he has healthy wheels again to team up with Chris Johnson's wheels he CAN be the same guy he was in 06. That is why I swim against the grain on him. ALOT of starting Qbs have been counted out over the years and been pissed about it. I showed the VY and Kerry Collins stats from 06 to show Kerry Collins had a 42 passer rating while the rookie had a rookie of the year season with the SAME offense and betetr comp% and 25% better QB rating as what SHOULD have been a college SENIOR right? I've heard the OC Himerdinger say they are currently implementing some plays to take advantage of VY's skills.

I just can't agree that you turn a franchise around winning the first 17 of 26 starts and that proves stupidity because a pencil and a piece of paper asking questions if you're a cat lover or a dog lover means more than football instincts. It doesn't which is why you'll always see a DUMB Jock like Jim Kelly more capable of running a no huddle offense than his is at speaking in full sentences. He's VERY football smart but he's not Alex Smith Wonderlicy-licsies.

As for the Cleveland Browns - I'm VERY sick of seeing our offense look stupid only to be reminded because the NY Giants fell aspleep at the wheel, DA beats good teams. Not in our conference or in our division folks. We didn't feel compelled to DRAFT Quinn in the first place if DA wasn't finishing 0-3 with starts in 06 with the last one showcasing 4 INTs vrs a cruddy TB team. Exactly 1 year later he did the same thing in Cincy. I have reminded people recently about our TWO 10-6 losses in 08 that begged for a starting QB to make a freakin play to WIN the game for us. I like WINNING and if I saw the next Brain Sipe doing just that - we wouldn't need to even need to bring up Quinn. But we do. If we watch oncores of losing from the same QB - we've just done an incredibly foolish thing with a 1st round QB that SHOULD want out. I don't expect ANY 1st round QB to like hearing the Head Coach prefers someone else. If the guy is wired to like that, then he ain't the right guy anyway.

- Tom F.

or he wouldn't be a freakin icon here while half our board members were still teething.

Are you his cheerleader??

Maybe he should post your pic in the cheerleaders thread. ;)

I am 61 years old...I probably had my 1st "you know what" before he was born.

Are you his cheerleader??

Maybe he should post your pic in the cheerleaders thread. ;)

I am 61 years old...I probably had my 1st "you know what" before he was born.

Does someone need attention? I got your cheerleading right here! I'll put you down for early crotchedies

- Tom F.

I sincerely don't think we're disagreeing so much as passing time -- as usual with you and me -- but I would close by saying that "intelligence" as we most commonly define it is very important for playing quarterback in today's very complex NFL. Not just instincts... intelligence. And the Wonderlic is a pretty damn good measure of that.

Tell that to Jim Kelly and let me know how you make out with it. Winning 17 of his first 26 starts starts for the team that drafted 3rd overall doesn't show me the dumb Qb you want to see. Sorry.

- Tom F.

The Wonderlic doesnt mean much to me as an intellect judgement tool but it doesnt take a genius or a test to see that DA is a little short of something in between the ears he may be one of the dumbest QBs to ever sport a browns jersey! hehehehe ;)

Ha!

(But VY got a 6 the first time.)

I feel like such a VY for misspelling Kelly!

Yes, but VY was stressed the first test. That's why he kicked so much ass the second time.

It may have something to do with the name Vince that propels these killer aptitude scores.

You keep citing exceptions as if I said there have never been exceptions.

Marv Levy called Jim Kelley the smartest quarterback he ever coached, and Levy was an Ivy Leaguer. It happens. I don't think McNabb is dumb and he got a low score.

But 29 of the 32 starters in this league, including every good one not named McNabb, scored between 25 (Ben) and 39 (Eli, Rodgers, and Stafford). Starters in today's NFL -- right now -- do very well on the Wonderlic with precious few exceptions. The more recent you get, the higher the scores get -- Ryan got a 32 and Stafford got a 39.

Will there be another Kelley or McNabb some day, a guy who gets a 15 but is a really smart quarterback? Sure. It happens at a rate of about one a decade, as mz the pussy pointed out.

Shep,

Alex Smith aced the thing like he aced his workout without pass rushers and corners present. GREAT mechanics folks "best workout ever" praises - BUT do those hold up when there's actual sic em? Do you know how many guys did extremely well on the test that didn't go on to start at QB?

I think Zombo said it best when he informed you that was a partial list. When you use partial information - you are skewing results. You are. Do we know how many guys that did well didn't even make teams?

Like I said, there isn't ONE asessment at Indy that measures instincts; and football is HUGE on instincts like it or not. All I know is if Indy was an exact science josh Cribbs would be playing in Canada. Alex Smith would be #1 in the league instead of 2nd or 3rd on his own depth chart. Call that an exception all you want but he was a #1 overall draft pick somebody got fired over.

Somebody like Lawrence Taylor would get a 2 on the Wonderlic and he was a stud BEFORE Parcells even shook his hand the first time. That's ALL instinct and killer instinct - and 0% #2 pencil. You DO understand instincts correlate to split second decision making right?

BTW, I mispoke on VY's record the first 2 years. He was 8-5 as a rookie (supposed to be a senior at school) and 9-5 as a second year player. That's 17-10 you want to stamp as a hollow dome for a team that had a 14 game losing streak before he started his first game in 06. If that's not enough, the Defense was 32nd ranked in 06. How many guys besides Matt Ryan in the last decade have come out of the shoot with better winning percentages for crappy teams drafting in the top 3 spots? If you've got 1 more name color me impressed. If you think the ONLY way to find smart people is through a Wonderlic - you're losing it man.

- Tom F.

Flugs, but how about this? Is it possible Young caught teams off guard until they learnt how to defense him? Once that was accomplished, the good ole DA type QB rating takes a negative effect.

Yes, but VY was stressed the first test. That's why he kicked so much ass the second time.

It may have something to do with the name Vince that propels these killer aptitude scores.

New smack talk in the trenches

Dlineman: "Yo, what did you get on da Wonderlic Barbell Breath?"

OT: "Minus 3 squid. Hasn't stopped you from landing on your fanny every play has it?"

"Hey VY scored another TD and he's being named AFC Rookie of the Year." Uh-oh, we have late breaking news, VY was busted for a bad Wonderlic so they are removing his Rookie of the Year Honors and Tenn has had to forfeit all 17 wins he led them to in 06 and 07 that followed the 14 game losing streak. Jeff Fisher is beside himself in guilt that he was the ONLY Head Coach who drafted a QB in the top 15 spots of 06 to not lose his job. He has sent sympathy cards to Mike Shanahan and Denny Green. Rumor has it, he felt bad for Mike Nolan too about Alex so another card was sent to SF from Nashville.

- Tom F.

Oh good, another Wonderdick thread, I don't think we explored the topic enough in that last one.

Steve McNair got a 15, went to a Super Bowl, won a MVP, and then got blown away by an Iranian chick.

I don't know what to make of that, but if Derek Anderson and his 15 goes to a Super Bowl, wins a MVP and gets blown away by an Iranian chick then I guess that would be good for the Browns, bad for Derek.

Zombo

Flugs, but how about this? Is it possible Young caught teams off guard until they learnt how to defense him? Once that was accomplished, the good ole DA type QB rating takes a negative effect.

SURE, but is it ALSO possible he tore his groin/hammy so he couldn't break contain and widen defenses out to help the RBs get wonderful running lanes? If VY had the same injury against USC that would have been a completely different Rose Bowl. That's like asking Favre to throw with a torn biceps tendon like he threw pre-injury. There was a difference and Thomas Jones questioned why he remained as a starter right? Injuries impact in this league.

Look Riff, I just don't agree with Shep's convictions the guy is dumb or he never makes it out of his neighborhood into UT into National Championship into 3rd overall draft pick into double digit million $ contract into rookie of the year into winning 17 of his first 26 starts. Doesn't add up as hollow dome.

Wonderlics weren't designed for innercity kids so the fact that Shep found a trend with Mcnabb from downtown Chicago, Vick, VY, etc doesn't mean SOME of them can't become the next Steve McNair or Warren Moon or Doug Williams. Do you know how long Doug Williams was labelled DUMB? Until he won a SB. I used Terry Bradshaw earlier in the Wonderlic thread to show a guy with a careeer 51.5 comp % and horrific first 5 seasons where he was labelled an imbesol. Shep would have CUT Bradshaw if he kept his current criteria that ONLY a Wonderlic can define a FOOTBALL smart player/QB. And as I mentioned Bradshaw won 4 Superbowls so WINNING defined him not #2 pencils or even a completion percentage. Otto Graham also had a less than wonderful completion percentage but he was defined by WINNING.

- Tom F. (I love smart QBs but I'd rather have a VY than an Alex Smith because one guy WINS the other didn't)

I don't think the Wonderlic is an end all be all story of somebody's intelligence. Take my stepfather for example. The man is a nuclear engineer and basically runs one of the largest nuclear power plants in the country, he has insane amount of smarts, however if you ask him a question, he might sit there silently contemplating his answer for a good 2-3 minutes before he speaks. He just happens to take his time before answering any question. That's not to say he can't think on his feet. When you have a reactor scram on you you have to think VERY quickly or all the residents in southeastern NC might have that healthy green glow to them. It just so happens that for the most part he takes his time.

Others might have test anxiety and just not test well, however when you put a football in their hands all that pressure melts away and they do what they need to do to win.

Sure it's a nice guideline to have when trying to get some sort of bead on a QB's intelligence, but to use it as the end all be all determination is folly.

I think sitting down and just simply talking to a guy will give you a better indication of his intelligence than some timed test.

I'm sure guys like Kelly, Young and Bradshaw were great conveyors of IQ one on one.

It's all about playing the numbers, guys. Sure, there are exceptions... but it's pretty damn accurate at gauging basic intelligence, or aptitude, a necessity for playing QB in today's NFL.

Didn't McNabb also run a bunch of different offenses at Cuse? He was a pretty football smart guy there. Young ran an offense of drop back, look at primary, if not wide open run really fast where the guys with other jerseys weren't.

All I know is smarter is better. Of all of the positions on the field, if I had the ability to place all of the intelligence in one spot, it would be quarterback.

ME TOO. That's why you see that in the title of this thread. Good point. Why don't I give you the BEST example of why I don't put too much stock in the Wonderlic? I am going to compare the Wonderlic genius passer to the hollow dome that flicks his wrist. This should prove once and for all how much the Wonderlic REALLY means to 2 YOUNG QBs literally and figuratively:

Steve Young's first 2 years in the NFL which started at age 24

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int

1985 24 TAM QB 8 5 5 1-4-0 72 138 52.2 935 3 8

1986 25 TAM QB 8 14 14 2-12-0 195 363 53.7 2282 8 13

Vince Young's first 2 years in the NFL which started at age 23

2006 23 TEN QB 10 15 13 8-5-0 184 357 51.5 2199 12 13

2007 24 TEN QB 10 15 15 9-6-0 238 382 62.3 2546 9 17

Who had a better TD to INT ratio?

Steve Young 11 TDs to 21 INTs (-10)

Vince Young 21 TDs to 30 INTs (-9)

Uh-oh #1 gives the slight edge to the hollowdome with a doo-rag thinking cap

Who had a better average completion%?

Steve Young had 52.2% + 53.7% (avg 52.95%)

Vince Young had 51.5% + 62.3% (avg 56.90%)

Uh-oh #2 gives edge to the hollowdome

Who had the better combined record?

Steve Young was 3-16

Vince Young was 17-11

Uh-oh #3 gives HUGE edge to the hollowdome

Uh-oh #4 awards conference rookie of the year AND Pro Bowl honors to the hollowdome. I was hoping for Shep's case that Steve Young would have made it a little more competitive. Things got better when he turned about 28 or 29 years of age.

Summary: I think you sort of realize Steve Young's brains wouldn't have meant squat if he stayed in Tampa with a receiving corps that didn't include Jerry Rice. Vince Young won every single comparison so I can't wait for the spin on this one but I promise it's gonna be entertaining.

- Tom F. (Now THAT is Wonderlic'n good folks! I don't care who you are!)

If that's not enough, the Defense was 32nd ranked in 06. How many guys besides Matt Ryan in the last decade have come out of the shoot with better winning percentages for crappy teams drafting in the top 3 spots? If you've got 1 more name color me impressed.

- Tom F.

In 2007 Joe Thomas was drafted 3rd. During 2004/2005/2006 and the first game of the '07 season, the Browns won 14 of 49 games(roughly28/29%). After the first game an inexperienced 6th rounder helped the 2007 Browns ... who finished a mighty 30TH in overall defense... to a 10 and 5 record (roughly 66/67%).

In 2007 Joe Thomas was drafted 3rd. During 2004/2005/2006 and the first game of the '07 season, the Browns won 14 of 49 games(roughly28/29%). After the first game an inexperienced 6th rounder helped the 2007 Browns ... who finished a mighty 30TH in overall defense... to a 10 and 5 record (roughly 66/67%).

So who was our rookie QB out of the shoot? DA was 0-3 in starts in his second NFL season of 2006. His 4th season looked just as chaotic losing TWO 10-6 ballgames thanks to his red zone blunders. When he beats his first AFC team that wins more than 8 games - his popularity will rise the way Sipe's did. If you want to read a nice story on how to keep a 1st round QB seated with the fans' approval - I suggest you research Brian Sipe's career. It's a TRUE story that includes happily ever after.

- Tom F. (Can you stop bringing DA into every conversation? You never like our replies about him so let's keep the discussion going about football smart QBs and whether or not the Wonderlic is the tell-all criteria for finding one)

All I know is smarter is better. Of all of the positions on the field, if I had the ability to place all of the intelligence in one spot, it would be quarterback.

ME TOO. That's why you see that in the title of this thread. Good point. Why don't I give you the BEST example of why I don't put too much stock in the Wonderlic? I am going to compare the Wonderlic genius passer to the hollow dome that flicks his wrist. This should prove once and for all how much the Wonderlic REALLY means to 2 YOUNG QBs literally and figuratively:

Steve Young's first 2 years in the NFL which started at age 24

1985 24 TAM QB 8 5 5 1-4-0 72 138 52.2 935 3 8

1986 25 TAM QB 8 14 14 2-12-0 195 363 53.7 2282 8 13

Vince Young's first 2 years in the NFL which started at age 23

2006 23 TEN QB 10 15 13 8-5-0 184 357 51.5 2199 12 13

2007 24 TEN QB 10 15 15 9-6-0 238 382 62.3 2546 9 17

Who had a better TD to INT ratio?

Steve Young 11 TDs to 21 INTs (-10)

Vince Young 21 TDs to 30 INTs (-9)

Uh-oh #1 gives the slight edge to the hollowdome with a doo-rag thinking cap

Who had a better average completion%?

Steve Young had 52.2% + 53.7% (avg 52.95%)

Vince Young had 51.5% + 62.3% (avg 56.90%)

Uh-oh #2 gives edge to the hollowdome

Who had the better combined record?

Steve Young was 3-16

Vince Young was 17-11

Uh-oh #3 gives HUGE edge to the hollowdome

Uh-oh #4 awards conference rookie of the year AND Pro Bowl honors to the hollowdome. I was hoping for Shep's case that Steve Young would have made it a little more competitive. Things got better when he turned about 28 or 29 years of age.

Summary: I think you sort of realize Steve Young's brains wouldn't have meant squat if he stayed in Tampa with a receiving corps that didn't include Jerry Rice. Vince Young won every single comparison so I can't wait for the spin on this one but I promise it's gonna be entertaining.

- Tom F. (Now THAT is a Wonderlic'n good comparison of the YOUNG QBs)

Alex Smith went undefeated his last year at Utah, Tom. You should be a huge fan.

Both guys have faced very tough times, as has Leinart. Tough to say any of the three didn't win in college. Tough to say any of the three haven't been disappointing so far as pros.

I will always bet on the smarter guys to get the most out of their talents at quarterback. Intelligence and work ethic. But that's me. I respect your right to prefer Young.

I just think you're nuts.

I think Leinart is going to have a very good career.

Alex Smith & Matt Leinart didn't WIN in the NFL Shep. Vince Young did consistently for a franchise that wore the impact of being capped out in 05. Now why don't you read the comparison I gave where Vince Young had a better first 2 years than Steve Young using passing stats, completion percentages, and winning percentages. Enjoy. Do ALL Wonderlic geniuses need to wait until they're 28 or 29 years old to GRASP the passing game? And doesn't that mean Steve Young went from 2nd year starter to the bench? Enlighten me. It's amazing what Jerry Rice meant to people.

The Wonderlic DUMB Dan Marino didn't need to wait until he was 28 or 29 to grasp the NFL passing game inspite of your assessment's warnings. But you're right that 5 guys in Dan's draft class had better Wonderlic scores and all those GMs are STILL thinking about what they could have done to extend their careers in NFL brasses.

- Tom F.

That simply isn't true.

Smarter is preferred and desired.

Again...the Wonderlic isn't so much a test of intelligence as it is a test for how fast a person can process information.

No doubt quicker is better in some cases..as in a collapsing pocket....but that doesn't happen every time and in many cases the fractions of difference between player A and player B don't add up to any appreciable difference.

Simply saying a guy who scores a 30 on the test is going to be a better qb than a guy who scores a 19 just isn't true.

All it shows is the 30 might have a edge in that one phase.

Instincts are great. They don't replace intelligence.

Any GM will tell you that an NFL quarterback these days really needs to be smart. Intelligent. He needs to absorb and internalize tons of increasingly complex information so well that it's second nature to express it on the field.

It's unlike any other position in football. And that's why GMs really do care about the Wonderlic as it applies to QBs. And it's why the guys coming into the league these days are almost all getting scores between 27 and 39.

It isn't a brainiac test. It's a pretty basic timed aptitude test with a focus on logic and problem solving. The NFL likes it. Business like it. All kinds of organizations like it.

I sincerely don't think we're disagreeing so much as passing time -- as usual with you and me -- but I would close by saying that "intelligence" as we most commonly define it is very important for playing quarterback in today's very complex NFL. Not just instincts... intelligence. And the Wonderlic is a pretty damn good measure of that.

I think instinct is part of "football intelligence."

The intelligent part of instinct is when you let it take over instead of thinking about letting it take over.

Then you have your "football geniuses" who take instinct and smarts to a whole new level. No way in hell should Kosar have been remotely as successful as he was based purely on athletic ability. But the man was a "football genius." He let his instincts and genius lead his team to wins.

VY may not be classically smart, but he is "football smart." He makes things happen on instinct. True, his smarts are more pure instinct than otherwise, but that can still win you games, and a lot of them.

I think instinct is part of "football intelligence."

The intelligent part of instinct is when you let it take over instead of thinking about letting it take over.

Then you have your "football geniuses" who take instinct and smarts to a whole new level. No way in hell should Kosar have been remotely as successful as he was based purely on athletic ability. But the man was a "football genius." He let his instincts and genius lead his team to wins.

VY may not be classically smart, but he is "football smart." He makes things happen on instinct. True, his smarts are more pure instinct than otherwise, but that can still win you games, and a lot of them.

With that said... part of his instincts is to run... I thought was a huge part of his Texas team beating USC for the Championship. Look at #1 option nothing there pull it down and go... Maybe I'm misinformed but I thought that's how he was used under Mack Brown aside for the designed run plays. If that's the case that won't help out any QB #'s. This may be off topic but wasn't he supposed to be one of the most accurate deep ball throwers in college?

Again, "instincts" aren't enough to be successful as a starting quarterback in the NFL, no matter how we try to define the word. You really do have to be old-fashioned smart to play the position these days. You have to be intelligent. You have to take in, understand, and internalize a lot of very complex information.

That is NOT debatable. Any GM will tell you that's true and that's a big part of why they especially value the Wonderlic for quarterbacks.

And it's why virtually every starting QB in the NFL scored between 25 and 39.

Let's move on. It is what it is, whether we like it or not.

Translation: Shep is always right, you are always wrong.

Again, "instincts" aren't enough to be successful as a starting quarterback in the NFL, no matter how we try to define the word.

I just want to bring up the concept of emotional intelligence (EI) here.

We define EI as the capacity to reason about emotions, and of emotions to enhance thinking. It includes the abilities to accurately perceive emotions, to access and generate emotions so as to assist thought, to understand emotions and emotional knowledge, and to reflectively regulate emotions so as to promote emotional and intellectual growth.

Regarding the Intelligence vs. Instinct components of quarterbacking, I would suspect someone with low EI, someone who cannot adequately regulate their emotions, would make for a poor fit for an NFL QB. Right now, Vince Young is in that category for me. Out-of-control/unchecked emotions have clearly gotten in the way of his quarterbacking, which was really based on instincts and athleticism. It is in a case like this where something like the Wonderlic would have been a useful tool for the Titans...with such a low "intelligence" score (he got a 6 or something?), is it a surprise to anyone that when adversity hit, VY let his emotions get in the way of his instincts (his best tool)?

I just find it interesting that the guy who told us College passing efficiency rating is the best indicator of Pro success for 2 years is now tossing that out the window and pimping Wonderlich scores now that Young's been brought up.

Tom, there's nothing to enjoy -- both guys had horrible numbers. Young played for a horrible team in a horrible system. There is NOTHING to be learned about anything there.

That's EXACTLY want I wanted you to do. Pretend ONLY Steve Young was drafted by a bad NFL team. Tenn was in the process of losing 14 games in a row from 05 through week 5 of 06 so that partially explains why they drafted 3rd overall. Being capped out in 05 is another reason. I also provided the defensive rankings in the Wonderlic thread of 32 teams in 2006 with Tenn at #32 overall. When the QB wins with this caliber of defense - I don't need to tell you he can't make tackles too.

So what can we derive from VY replacing Kerry Collins in 06 and leading the SAME team that was dysfunctional into winning 8 of the final 11 games? How can a QB incapbale of making good split second decisions lead a BAD team to winning 8 of their final 11 games which erased 7 second half deficits if he's every bit as dumb as you WANT him to be? Earning Rookie of the Year honors isn't nearly as unsuccessful as you want it to be. He got HURT in 07 so he only followed a rookie 8-5 record with 9-6 in his second year. I'd say starting off 17-11 on a team horrible leading up to start #1 isn't nearly as unsuccessful as you want it to be. Not everyone has a Jerry Rice handy. If Tenn did, they wouldn't have drafted a WR first this year.

Anyway, you've been assuring everyone that people with Wonderlic brilliance showcase the ability to be immediately SMART and efficient passers. Then you say that's WHY they give the assessment. I show you Steve Young WITHOUT Jerry Rice in his first 2 seasons was LESS than VY and you're spinning and excusing. I think it's pretty well documented that Steve Young wasn't READY to start until he was 28 or 29 years of age inspite of a 33 on the Wonderlic. That means he went from a starter to the BENCH right? Just checking.

You've got double standards working all over the place when it comes to maturity. Speaking of benchings, Josh McDaniels' initial priority was to bring Matt Cassell over to be his starter which would have meant BENCHING Cutler. I see a HC that looked at film and wins and losses over a 3 year span. Next thing I know, I'm not exactly seeing Jay Cutler modeling maturity when he had the same negative feelings VY had to hearing someone else was #1 in his Head Coach's mind all of a sudden.

In the end, games are just played with 1 goal. WIN. VY is 17-11 and Jay Cutler is 17-21. Maybe that's why Denver now has a starting QB with a 21-12 record.

- Tom F. (Who wpoulda thunk Vince Young would have a betetr first 2 years in the NFL than some like Steve Young with a 33 Wonderlic score? The comparison is in this thread for all to see in life BEFORE Jerry Rice and age 29)

Why do you find the two discussions interesting?

And Vince Young was brought up... by me. Oops. The initial issue was DA's unusually low Wonderlic score. Which led to digging into QBs and Wonderlic scores and discussing what we found. And we found some very, VERY interesting things, like every starting quarterback but McNabb and maybe Garrard scored between 25 and 39. We've found that the top drafted guys the last few years are the ones with the higest scores and many of the fallers have low scores.

Now, let's stop and investigate your "interest." So if we first discuss Football Outsider's stats on numbers of starts and completion percentage... we should then never discuss Wonderlic scores? Anything else? What can we discuss after Football Outsiders, D&S? Can you make a list?

Are you suggesting that discussing more than one issue predictive of quarterback success or failure is wrong? That we should stick to the one and cover it over and over and over?

I find that interesting. And by interesting, I mean Retarded.

I think if you showed the entire list - you'd see HOW MANY guys that scored extremely well never panned out so you skewed the data like Zombo reminded you of in the Wonderlic thread. If that makes Zombo Retarded in your eyes - I disagree.

- Tom F.

I think if you showed the entire list - you'd see HOW MANY guys that scored extremely well never panned out so you skewed the data like Zombo reminded you of in the Wonderlic thread. If that makes Zombo Retarded in your eyes - I disagree.

- Tom F.

Whoa ... I haven't even been reading this thread, I skim to the last post and I see my Retardation is up for debate.

So Shep has to answer a certain way or I'm Retarded? Glad to see you are firmly in Camp Zombo's Not Retarded, Flugs

Zombo

---hmmm, is that what they meant by "Special" in grade school? That bus was kind of short...

Again, "instincts" aren't enough to be successful as a starting quarterback in the NFL, no matter how we try to define the word. You really do have to be old-fashioned smart to play the position these days. You have to be intelligent. You have to take in, understand, and internalize a lot of very complex information.

That is NOT debatable. Any GM will tell you that's true and that's a big part of why they especially value the Wonderlic for quarterbacks.

And it's why virtually every starting QB in the NFL scored between 25 and 39.

Let's move on. It is what it is, whether we like it or not.

I disagree whole-heartedly Shep.

There is a HUGE difference between "football smarts" and "classic IQ."

Granted, the ability to do puzzles (what half of a typical IQ test will have you do) is certainly an indication of the ability to analyze a defense quickly. But doing math problems quickly (the other half of a typical IQ test) does not necessarily correlate to the same. [Note: Yes I know there are also word associations in IQ tests, I lumped those with math problems.]

An analogy if you will:

Take the mechanic who cannot read. He can take an engine apart by pure instinct and natural talent. Put it back together again, and it will work better than before. He can do this to any machine, whether he's seen it or not. But he can't read. Even if he could read, he'd probably score fairly low on a Wonderlic test. But he is still an excellent mechanic.

The smarts a QB requires is different than classic intelligence. The ability to analyze a situation quickly and choose the right course of action for the better outcome for his team. You can do this without being able to do semi-difficult math equations quickly or word associations quickly.

Granted, the ability to do math and word association quickly usually translates into the ability to physically make quick analytical decisions. But not always. High Wonderlic scores does not translate directly into good QB's either.

It is a measuring stick, sure. But one that should be given the appropriate amount of weight and credibility. Just the same as a 40 yard dash, bench press, vertical leap, height, or weight.

Football smarts can be a god-given talent without having to be classically smart.

Instinct is part of football smarts.

Classically smart people can have zero instincts.

Andy

Archived