THE BROWNS BOARD

***Browns @ Colts Preseason Game Night Thread***

BrownsDawgPound

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

It’s the call that is in excusable it’s bullshit you just can’t tap his helmet to touch him that’s bullshit don’t make any fucking excuses for these motherfucking rules. 

You know the rules. No touching the head. Period. You have to play by them. So stupid on our part.

Just now, TexasAg1969 said:

You know the rules. No touching the head. Period. You have to play by them. So stupid on our part.

That is Not the  rule you can’t touch the fucking head? You can’t hit the head harshly. you can touch his head show me where there is a goddamn rule that you cannot touch his head. 

4 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

the play should have been blown dead at recovery..knees down giving himself up..no whistle will cause contact..the hits on the zebras

13 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

That is Not the  rule you can’t touch the fucking head? You can’t hit the head harshly. you can touch his head show me where there is a goddamn rule that you cannot touch his head. 

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/roughing-the-passer/

See #3 regarding hands contact with neck or helmet. In this case the QB's head moved forward and down when contact was made. That is going to be seen as "forcibly" if it so much as moves, so why the hell would you do that? I guarantee who gets blamed when Freddie sees the tape. It won't be the refs.

6 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/roughing-the-passer/

See #3 regarding hands contact with neck or helmet. In this case the QB's head moved forward and down when contact was made. That is going to be seen as "forcibly" if it so much as moves, so why the hell would you do that? I guarantee who gets blamed when Freddie sees the tape. It won't be the refs.

It was a complete flop by there in the QB he was just tapped it was nothing forcible about it. And then why didn’t they call it when our quarterback got the same thing done to him 

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

It was a complete flop by there in the QB he was just tapped it was nothing forcible about it. And then why didn’t they call it when our quarterback got the same thing done to him 

You missed the point. Why would you even risk it being seen differently. Don't touch the head. End of story. Freddie will insure they all hear it too.

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You missed the point. Why would you even risk it being seen differently. Don't touch the head. End of story. Freddie will insure they all hear it too.

Again I ask why and when our quarterback was slapped him in the head did they not call it then. Should not rule apply in all situations?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Again I ask why and when our quarterback was slapped him in the head did they not call it then. Should not rule apply in all situations?

Doesn't matter what wasn't called on them. What matters is what we did. He had all 5+ feet of body to work with from feet to shoulders for only a touch. Just plain stupid.

4 minutes ago, medicineman said:

We had to keep it close I guess 

were the only football game on..why lose tv rating not keeping it close? Winning is nice, but not what coaching staffs really care about..it's about seeing the last 10 guys they decide to keep..  

Im at a concert and couldnt see the game so I looked on line for a recap...described the 3 browns scores and ended with

The rest of the game was pretty devoid of anything other than penalties

Hahaha

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Doesn't matter what wasn't called on them. What matters is what we did. He had all 5+ feet of body to work with from feet to shoulders for only a touch. Just plain stupid.

Bottom line I agree with Bernie Kosar that was a call that never should’ve been made

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Bottom line I agree with Bernie Kosar that was a call that never should’ve been made

what was Bernie's reasoning?   

The Good:

D'Ernest Johnson can play RB in the NFL, and he's going to be on a roster. Probably not ours, but who knows? He can run, he can catch, and he's tough. If he doesn't make our 53, somebody will pick him up. 

And hello Mr. Montgomery! That guy just keeps making plays at WR and our WR room is going to be cramped as hell. 

Gilbert throwing for around 150 yards and two TDs. This guy can really play, and I think he's making a serious case for staying on the roster as our 3rd qb. Nice arm strength, above average accuracy, and he definitely knows where to go with the pill. Yes, I know it's preseason, but still. Gilbert really made the game watchable and fun. 

The Bad:

Our defense's inability to finish plays and tackle, especially in the back field. I saw 3 or 4 plays where we couldn't finish off the tackle, including a 4th down play where Mack Wilson ran right BY Brissett which allowed him to complete a long pass. I will never understand why defensive players don't try and slow down a little bit and grab the qb around waist or something. I didn't like seeing Jacobi Brissett look like Joe Montana against our 1st team defense. 

Penalties. Good lord the penalties. To be fair, some of the calls were total bull crap, but geez. I guess this is why you play preseason games, but I could tell Freddie was PISSED. 

The Ugly:

The kicking game. This is the second week in a row where we tried to get a FG at the end of a half and screwed it up. 

It might be preseason, but it's getting about time to be somewhat worried our kickers. Many games in the NFL come down to the last couple minutes. I'd hate to be on the fringe of the playoffs and need a kick to finish off a contest. Our guys couldn't connect in a dome, and I was really hoping one of them would pull away from the other. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

What matters is what we did. He had all 5+ feet of body to work with from feet to shoulders for only a touch. Just plain stupid.

am guilty of being wrong again..the Colts fumbled shot gun snap that Kelly falls on like a bomb, is with 14 mins. still left in 4th..not only was there 1 whistle blown. but there was 2 whistles blowing play dead.. we never had to touch Kelly, the play was dead on 2 whistles..my bad

6 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Too many penalties but some of that goes to the refs with questionble calls.

Did you watch the  Cowpokes game? were over 25 penalties and then 1 came on a challenge PI call that was not called til they threw the red flag then blah blah blah, I hate how flags can decide the outcome of a game. That's what make people believe Vegas is involved, 

10 hours ago, medicineman said:

Cut Gilbert already! No place in the NFL for him. 

Gilbert isn't Baker, but he's  plenty adequate  as a backup.  

10 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Looking more like the one and 15 team they were a couple years ago

Sloppy  game Gip. Kicking sucked. Reffing  sucked. I'll post more later.