THE BROWNS BOARD

which qbs

beare

Stanton gives that "veteran presence" most teams favor, he's like a coach. Tough decisions lie ahead.

Gilbert's been in the league awhile, looks decent out there. Blough might be more than a training camp extra arm. 

Before the game, my Son in Law said he doesn't think our 2019 kicker is rostered at this time. I believe he's right, although Siebert would be my choice if we HAD to pick from these 2.

Mike

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Before the game, my Son in Law said he doesn't think our 2019 kicker is rostered at this time. I believe he's right, although Siebert would be my choice if we HAD to pick from these 2.

Mike

Yeah.. Chris Joseph sucks dog dick...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

I was watching the Texans game last night and they made the comment that Houston had not signed another kicker and that you don't draft a kicker unless you seriously think the one you have is inadequate.

Well you certainly don't take one in the 5th round unless you plan to rid yourself of the one you already have. Seibert is making it hard with that last miss. Had Joseph made the end of the half kick, Seibert may have already had his bags packed.

But the thing we don't really know is how they are doing compared to one another on a daily basis. Since they are almost equally not performing in preseason, that may be the deciding factor. They have two more games to make their cases. My guess is that Dorsey would go with Seibert in a tie. Otherwise you look pretty stupid for drafting him in the 5th. BTW I still think Dorsey screwed up the order of the LB picks. Just plain lucky there. Taki was a big reach and Mack was a big oversight.

13 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Stanton gives that "veteran presence" most teams favor, he's like a coach. Tough decisions lie ahead.

Gilbert's been in the league awhile, looks decent out there. Blough might be more than a training camp extra arm. 

I hear that a lot Bob; but he rarely sets a great example as a QB when he gets game action IMO.   I've seen him in previous fill-in duties looking very Blaine Gabbertly; and that ain't good.  

We already have a QB Coach who seems to like Stanton being around for that presence you mentioned; but we're just a twisted ankle from starter away from being sentenced to him at QB.  For all that experience, he still processes things way too slow to be successful.

If we cut him, maybe we can just make him the Assistant QB Coach or something.  Sometimes QBs that struggled like Trent Dilfer, Jordan Palmer, Kellen Moore, and Ryan Lindley (our current QB Coach) make good QB Coaches or even OCs.  They know the challenges they couldn't overcome with any degree of consistency while they've practiced the fundamentals throughout high school and college (often attending many QB Camps along the way) to have the background and knowledge to teach the position. 

We're at a point where we have to have a backup QB that doesn't drop anchor on every drive.  Nobody will equal Baker's pre-snap intellect that leads to all the quick-decisive throws that made our offensive line give up far less sacks than we had been used to seeing here.  I think Gilbert gives us a better chance for scoring drives at #2.   I guess we can always keep Stanton as the #3 and stash Blough on the practice squad.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

am no kicking guru.. but Phiefer needs to find one holder on this team & quit having reasons for kickers to use holders as excuses..Jamie Gillan is a fun 'all about team player'..but he was never asked to hold for kicks till this past mini camp..make a choice of one holder that's making the roster..Seibert is being coached to lose 1 step from his approach.(not as easy as some think). he's young still hitting some over 50 yards..As for QB, Gilbert just made Freddie a no fool for keeping 3 on roster. Gilbert won't get to PS..and After what we been through at the QB position? 3 QB's seems like the right thing to do with 1 inactive..  

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, beare said:

id cut stanton and keep mayfield gilbert blough

Yep....exactly

17 hours ago, Bob806 said:

I hear that often.....but he sucks as a QB, so there's that.......And, last I heard, we have a QB coach......so there's that too......

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

As for QB, Gilbert just made Freddie a no fool for keeping 3 on roster. Gilbert won't get to PS..and After what we been through at the QB position? 3 QB's seems like the right thing to do with 1 inactive..  

Right......and if Gilbert is #3, we will lose him........make him #2 and add Blough to PS for development......simple as pie

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

Yep....exactly

I hear that often.....but he sucks as a QB, so there's that.......And, last I heard, we have a QB coach......so there's that too......

Right......and if Gilbert is #3, we will lose him........make him #2 and add Blough to PS for development......simple as pie

However Freddie is sticking with Stanton as his #2 if you watched the full interview on him not being happy with our penalties. It's right at the end of the presser.

Somebody just signed Josh McCown out of retirement.  Teams like to have that veteran team leader in the QB room.

I agree with gumby, after Gilbert''s performance, he would get signed after being cut.  He's got two more games to get through though.  

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I was watching the Texans game last night and they made the comment that Houston had not signed another kicker and that you don't draft a kicker unless you seriously think the one you have is inadequate.

Well you certainly don't take one in the 5th round unless you plan to rid yourself of the one you already have. Seibert is making it hard with that last miss. Had Joseph made the end of the half kick, Seibert may have already had his bags packed.

But the thing we don't really know is how they are doing compared to one another on a daily basis. Since they are almost equally not performing in preseason, that may be the deciding factor. They have two more games to make their cases. My guess is that Dorsey would go with Seibert in a tie. Otherwise you look pretty stupid for drafting him in the 5th. BTW I still think Dorsey screwed up the order of the LB picks. Just plain lucky there. Taki was a big reach and Mack was a big oversight.

There's a reason why Taki was taken where he was and Mack went where he did.

That doesn't mean that Mack isn't better, but it's not like there wasn't other LBs taken in between them.

Not taking up for either, but logic would seem to say that Dorsey thought he had to take him there or he wouldn't have had an opportunity later. We really have no idea what the boards for teams look like, just "experts" that grade these players. And I only know of 1 of those experts that got a real job selecting them, and who knows how that will work. There are certainly many reasons why a "better" prospect will get drafted lower than someone else, and not always are negative things like say Tyreek Hill 

1 hour ago, Mudfly said:

Yep. Heard him say it......dont like it, but I heard it.....

I agree with you and Flugel. I'd keep Gilbert and Blough on the roster, make Stanton an assistant.

I tend to agree...but when it comes to live action during the regular season, I believe Stanton has the edge

because he isn't going to make mistakes, reading defenses and fancy crap defenses will throw at the Browns.

Gilbert is really impressive, may have only make a few mistakes throwing into coverage... Blough sometimes, to me, has looked "not ready for primetime", then he does look like he's ready to be on the active roster. I believe he has some nice talent and a fine arm, but he is too inconsistent.

How long he would last on the practice squad ...who knows. But in a big game, everybody knows Stanton has seen pretty much everything, knows how to run the offense. Gilbert was really impressive...

But experience counts hugely, and I think it's Baker, Stanton/Gilbert. Blough on the practice squad. He needs time there.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

I tend to agree...but when it comes to live action during the regular season, I believe Stanton has the edge

because he isn't going to make mistakes, reading defenses and fancy crap defenses will throw at the Browns.

Gilbert is really impressive, may have only make a few mistakes throwing into coverage... Blough sometimes, to me, has looked "not ready for primetime", then he does look like he's ready to be on the active roster. I believe he has some nice talent and a fine arm, but he is too inconsistent.

How long he would last on the practice squad ...who knows. But in a big game, everybody knows Stanton has seen pretty much everything, knows how to run the offense. Gilbert was really impressive...

But experience counts hugely, and I think it's Baker, Stanton/Gilbert. Blough on the practice squad. He needs time there.

I would also carry 3, but who am I? Just another Fan, so let's see what the big guys do.

Mike

19 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I believe Stanton has the edge

But in a big game, everybody knows Stanton has seen pretty much everything, knows how to run the offense. Gilbert was really impressive...

My argument against Stanton is that, while he may have experience,  the record indicates that he totally bites when he playss....year after year....at least he is consistent.

He has a lifetime QB rating of 66....53% completion rate....more int's than TD's....Baker threw more TDs in his one partial rookie season than Stanton has thrown in 11 seasons....etc, etc, etc

In 11 years, Stanton has exactly 2 games that he has earned a 100 + QB rating.....Gilbert has done it everytime he has played an NFL game....which is only 3 times.....so 3 times in 3 games VS 2 times in 11 seasons....

So.....not sure what skills or talent Stanton has that earns him the position over someone who has out performed him at every opportunity.....

If it's leadership....knowing how to prepare....etc.....all that can just as easily be done from the #3 position

Seriously....even Johnny Manziel had better #'s....across the board......

45 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

My argument against Stanton is that, while he may have experience,  the record indicates that he totally bites when he playss....year after year....at least he is consistent.

He has a lifetime QB rating of 66....53% completion rate....more int's than TD's....Baker threw more TDs in his one partial rookie season than Stanton has thrown in 11 seasons....etc, etc, etc

In 11 years, Stanton has exactly 2 games that he has earned a 100 + QB rating.....Gilbert has done it everytime he has played an NFL game....which is only 3 times.....so 3 times in 3 games VS 2 times in 11 seasons....

So.....not sure what skills or talent Stanton has that earns him the position over someone who has out performed him at every opportunity.....

If it's leadership....knowing how to prepare....etc.....all that can just as easily be done from the #3 position

Seriously....even Johnny Manziel had better #'s....across the board......

I agree basically.  Stanton should be the #3 and Gilbert Grape should be #2.  Like you said, he can perform his "coach on the field" duties from the #2 spot.

• Upvote 1

IMO....the QB roster depends on what they wind up thinking of Blough after game 4.

If they view him as PS material at best.....then they'll keep Stanton & Gilbert.

If he winds up impressing them, then Stanton would be let go.  (I would not bet heavily on this scenario)  

Unless Gilbert's play goes straight into the shitter over the next two weeks, he'll be on the team.

10 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I agree basically.  Stanton should be the #3 and Gilbert Grape should be #2.  Like you said, he can perform his "coach on the field" duties from the #3 spot.

Fixed your "coach on the field" part of the post to #3 spot-I know what you meant.

No argument here from me Gip. LOL!😂

Gilbert has played very well this go-round in the NFL.