THE BROWNS BOARD

Avery on the Bubble?

Clevfan4life

msinly cause he might be on the bubble? The dudes a freak but he might be lost in wilks system. I was kind of hoping in the offseason that they would wirk him into that run stopping blitzing 43 olb'er that khalil mack was his first season in oakland. But in wilks system, and with taki and wilson here......he just diesnt seem that effective as an every down 43 DE. He'd be a terror as blitzing LB'er tho. Just not sure he has the length to really give tackles alot of trouble when they know when and from where he's comin every down.

If it was my def id find a spot for him...i love that kid. But he just doesnt seem to fit anywhere in wilks scheme. I thought maybe ole GW would like to bring him to the jets. Guarantee he's watching our cuts like a hawk cause he loved avery. 

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Yes, I expect to see him a lot....but NO....I don't think for a moment that he is on the bubble.    He can switch between DE and LB...and provides depth at both spots.  

Where on earth are you coming up with this?

playing time and reps against 3rd and 4th stringers? I mean he's been playing opposite some guy named ray or simething....when the DE ur paired with has a traditional OL # like 61....ur low on the deoth chart. 

• Like 1

We should talk about title construction. It should be succinct and lead to intrigue, and capital letters should be involved. 

Avery on the Bubble?

Avery Day I’m Hustling

Something like that. But no, l think Avery is fine and in the plans. A seemingly consistent theme we’ve seen this camp is the guys you see less are the guys who factor in more when the action is real, so l figure Avery’s role is accounted for and we are seeing and hearing about him less because he’s doing fine.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

We should talk about title construction. It should be succinct and lead to intrigue, and capital letters should be involved. 

Avery on the Bubble?

Avery Day I’m Hustling

under no circumstances.  but ill look into capitalization... that other crap tho, absolutely not.

See a lot of him. Yes. 

On the bubble. I don’t think so, but there is a chance. 

Probably see a lot because they will have him at edge for the playing time.

4.5 sacks last year as a fifth rounder, and Dorsey drafted him....if he can play edge and LB and special teams, I think he’s worth a spot.

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

do u some of u really think the staff thinks so highly of him that they didnt bother to give 1st and 2nd team reps? 

some tend not to get caught up in the fluff we read during preseason Clev.. Wilks has & will use 3 LB sets.With comfort from DB support. Avery feels ahead of Armstrong & Taylor at rotational LB.and about even with Zettle at DE.Avery has the same quicks we saw last season, but trying out some new techs, from what i can tell on tape..Taylor or Armstrong is who the coaches are deciding on, $imo$. both seeing the playing time to figure it out ..Now that we have some legit 2's that can give rotation help to the 1's & excepted injuries ..sorry, I just don't see Avery on the bubble ..btw Gregg Williams defense is giving the Saints all they want again..13 a piece..won't be a easy road game in NY

53 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

some tend not to get caught up in the fluff we read during preseason Clev.. Wilks has & will use 3 LB sets.With comfort from DB support. Avery feels ahead of Armstrong & Taylor at rotational LB.and about even with Zettle at DE.Avery has the same quicks we saw last season, but trying out some new techs, from what i can tell on tape..Taylor or Armstrong is who the coaches are deciding on, $imo$. both seeing the playing time to figure it out ..Now that we have some legit 2's that can give rotation help to the 1's & excepted injuries ..sorry, I just don't see Avery on the bubble ..btw Gregg Williams defense is giving the Saints all they want again..13 a piece..won't be a easy road game in NY

look i like avery....just saying, mebbe GW would like Avery in NY. I hope they dont cut him if just for the reason he could ge a valuable trade piece to a 34 team

2 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

do u some of u really think the staff thinks so highly of him that they didnt bother to give 1st and 2nd team reps? well then shit i got it backwards....i guess its myles and vernonbthe staff felt needed the extra preseason tape to see which one of them is bubble bound....

😂

He did get a couple plays with the ones.  I envision that on 3rd and long obvious pass situations him and Vernon will line up on the ends Garrett will slide inside and ogunjobi and Richardson will split time as the other rush dt with ogunjobi getting more run in those situations.  Sort of like what Ohio State would do with Bosa and Hubbard. Just get the 4 best pure pass rushers in on obvious passing downs. Garrett has rushed from the inside on obvious passing before and the guards have an extremely tough time with his burst. 

Or you could see ogunjobi as the only one with his hand in the dirt and Vernon Avery and Garrett all standing up moving before the snap making it hard to identify who to block. 

48 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

He did get a couple plays with the ones.  I envision that on 3rd and long obvious pass situations him and Vernon will line up on the ends Garrett will slide inside and ogunjobi and Richardson will split time as the other rush dt with ogunjobi getting more run in those situations.  Sort of like what Ohio State would do with Bosa and Hubbard. Just get the 4 best pure pass rushers in on obvious passing downs. Garrett has rushed from the inside on obvious passing before and the guards have an extremely tough time with his burst. 

Or you could see ogunjobi as the only one with his hand in the dirt and Vernon Avery and Garrett all standing up moving before the snap making it hard to identify who to block. 

im not necessarily against such an idea, I was just hoping that Avery would make the step up this year to be basically the best 2nd string option, which appears to be Smith for now. After we got Vernon I assumed Smith and Avery would be the main backups. As it stands, if there's an injury...Avery still doesn't appear to be an every down kind of DE/OLB'er. Im going to be very interested to see if Wilks uses him much as a LB'er...and how. 

3 hours ago, medicineman said:

As far as the next game, I just hope we play NO starters, NONE. Can't risk any of them getting hurt. Avery would do great against guys who will be in the XFL or worse in a few months. 

Well looks like Duke Johnson landed in the right place since it appears Pro Bowler Lamar Miller is believed to have a torn ACL in yesterday's lopsided loss to the Boys.

8 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Well looks like Duke Johnson landed in the right place since it appears Pro Bowler Lamar Miller is believed to have a torn ACL in yesterday's lopsided loss to the Boys.

Makes me sad Duke wanted out, Like most of you I was a Duke fan for sure and could not figure out why we never lined him up as wide out much, Had great hands a nd ran a solid routes

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, medicineman said:

Makes me sad Duke wanted out, Like most of you I was a Duke fan for sure and could not figure out why we never lined him up as wide out much, Had great hands a nd ran a solid routes

i said from the beginning as gifted a runner as Hunt is....Duke felt like the better compliment to chubb imo. Hunt could prove that wrong the last 8 games we shsll see. But yeah, losing duke was tough for me....losing pep was tuff too cause i wanted those guys who put their hearts out there in our colors, to be part of the resurgence. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

i said from the beginning as gifted a runner as Hunt is....Duke felt like the better compliment to chubb imo. Hunt could prove that wrong the last 8 games we shsll see. But yeah, losing duke was tough for me....losing pep was tuff too cause i wanted those guys who put their hearts out there in our colors, to be part of the resurgence. 

Duke better than Hilliard certainly, based on recent evidence.   While maybe he was just being showcased, in my mind, D'Ernest Johnson has shown more that Hilliard.  At least in these preseason games.

Avery is most certainly not anywhere near the bubble.  Obviously I don't have inside info or anything, but Avery is a pass rusher, and a good one at that.  He's also a second year guy drafted in the 5th round who came up with about the same number of sacks Barkevious Mingo did as a rookie, in probably a third of the snaps (not really sure, just a guess).  Avery is strong, mean, and fits nicely into one of our subpackages for rushing the QB.  Myles kicks inside, Avery goes outside, and then we'll have Ogunjobi and Vernon on the line as well.  That's pretty nasty.  

• Upvote 4

On 8/24/2019 at 10:54 PM, Clevfan4life said:

look i like avery....just saying, mebbe GW would like Avery in NY. I hope they dont cut him if just for the reason he could ge a valuable trade piece to a 34 team

This doesn't make sense to me. How would someone you are thinking is one the bubble (or wondering at the least) and saying looks to you that he isn't even 2nd string going to be a valuable trade piece?

3 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

This doesn't make sense to me. How would someone you are thinking is one the bubble (or wondering at the least) and saying looks to you that he isn't even 2nd string going to be a valuable trade piece?

Avery is an athletic freak just not sure if tge staff feels he's a better fit than sone of our other depth. He may be a better fit on a 3-4 team...tgats why he may have good trade value