THE BROWNS BOARD

Seibert wins kicker job

jcam222

That 54 yarder was legit, and hopefully just what he needs to get his confidence up. All 4 of his kicks were pure, and I'd love to see him get another 4 chances Thursday. Cmon kid, we're going to need you this year. 

3 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I read some comments in the link and there seems to be some question about whether Joseph will still kick game 4 or not.

If you've made your  mind up, why bother giving Joseph any game kicks? "Showcase" him for other  teams? Get real. His trade value is zero. Teams already have an  almost  full seasons worth of less than stellar tape on him. 

Teams take kickers in the draft only when they have to move on from the current kicker. Tampa game perfect kicks and 4 for 4 sealed it (as it should). We took the best kicker available with the idea of replacing Joseph. It's a business decision and you can bet the ST coach was deep into it along with Dorsey.

EDIT: Now as for punter, keep Colquitt and draft the all time record setter next year. Ray Guy got nothin' on him.😁

Might be the "Achellies Heel" of the BROWNS football team this year.

Amazing how the lowest paid position on professional football teams might decide so many games.

Too bad soccer isn't popular in the good ol' USA or we'd have more great kickers.  :lol:

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

EDIT: Now as for punter, keep Colquitt and draft the all time record setter next year. Ray Guy got nothin' on him.😁

I doubt he could do better than The Hammer. 

Besides, setting a record in college means nothing to the pro game.  I mean, among the Top Ten all time passers in college history are:  Timmy Chang, Landry Jones, Graham Harrell, Ty Detmer, Kellen Moore, Luke Falk, Colt Brennan, Rakeem Cota.   And sitting at #1 all time is: Case Keenum

(though..it is true that Baker Mayfield is #7 all time)

7 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I was glad when they drafted a kicker. A lot thought it was a wasted pick. I had my doubts but now I’m thinking that this kid might be around for a long time

Yep, any team but especially Dorsey isn't using that level of draft pick for a kicker to not play. Definitely encouraging performance against Tampa, all kicks were buried. Kinda glad it worked out that way honestly, the offense stalling really gave him a confidence boost going into week one.

Didn’t hurt that Colquitt was holding for him in the Bucs game. 

From what I’ve read, makes me wonder how much of Seiberts troubles were on the the Hammers lack of experience as a holder  

Anyone know who handled the snap on the miss v Indy?

3 hours ago, nickers said:

Remember Zane Gonzales?.. Well Hes doing rather well right now.... So Im willing to take my lumps with Seibert..

Yep, it's definitely all mental at this level.  I was at the game in New Orleans when he basically lost the game.  

8 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Teams take kickers in the draft only when they have to move on from the current kicker. Tampa game perfect kicks and 4 for 4 sealed it (as it should). We took the best kicker available with the idea of replacing Joseph. It's a business decision and you can bet the ST coach was deep into it along with Dorsey.

I know you've mentioned the kid before- but Gillan is no slouch. https://dawgpounddaily.com/2019/08/26/cleveland-browns-hammer-time/

I will disagree with one thing in the article- Colquitt was holding for Seibert in the Tampa game, sort of hard to tell from the highlights. Freddie wasn't all that impressed by Jamie's 70 yard field flipping punt- "I want to see better hang time". OK, Freddie you got it. Gillan was averaging over 5 seconds of hang time against Tampa, rare for a punter. Also, there's some economics ahem- business decision Ag- involved. Colquitt is due $2.7 million this year with $0 dead money. Gillian will be making rookie minimum at around $450k.  

5 hours ago, alporcini said:

Didn’t hurt that Colquitt was holding for him in the Bucs game. 

From what I’ve read, makes me wonder how much of Seiberts troubles were on the the Hammers lack of experience as a holder  

Anyone know who handled the snap on the miss v Indy?

a.) just before half Joesph missed from 53 w/Colquitt..b.) with 3:14 left in game Seibert missed from 52 w/Gillian..c.) Seibert made two XP's using Colquitt & Gillian as a holder..d.) Joesph made 1 XP w/Colquitt..

• Thanks 1

I must admit this seems like an abrupt end to the “kicking competition”. Neither seemed to be rock solid all camp long, but it sounded like Joseph outperformed Seibert 80% of the time. 

Regardless, it’s probably best for the team psyche to tab their guy and go for it. It was a helluva game by Seibert, but it was one game.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, nickers said:

Remember Zane Gonzales?.. Well Hes doing rather well right now.... So Im willing to take my lumps with Seibert..

Phil Dawson wasn't Phil Dawson the Cleveland Kicker God until a few years into his career, so you might be onto something. 

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I doubt he could do better than The Hammer. 

Besides, setting a record in college means nothing to the pro game.  I mean, among the Top Ten all time passers in college history are:  Timmy Chang, Landry Jones, Graham Harrell, Ty Detmer, Kellen Moore, Luke Falk, Colt Brennan, Rakeem Cota.   And sitting at #1 all time is: Case Keenum

(though..it is true that Baker Mayfield is #7 all time)

Setting records as a punter is very different that other positions on a football team, starting with Ray Guy. You want a guy who can average 50 yds a punt and has a high percentage of punts die inside the 10. They don't call it flipping the field for nothing.

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

I know you've mentioned the kid before- but Gillan is no slouch. https://dawgpounddaily.com/2019/08/26/cleveland-browns-hammer-time/

I will disagree with one thing in the article- Colquitt was holding for Seibert in the Tampa game, sort of hard to tell from the highlights. Freddie wasn't all that impressed by Jamie's 70 yard field flipping punt- "I want to see better hang time". OK, Freddie you got it. Gillan was averaging over 5 seconds of hang time against Tampa, rare for a punter. Also, there's some economics ahem- business decision Ag- involved. Colquitt is due $2.7 million this year with $0 dead money. Gillian will be making rookie minimum at around $450k.  

I get it Larry. I'm just trying to get credit for sending another great Ag to the Browns. But bird in hand is worth two in the bush and there is no guarantee some other team won't draft him before the Browns. He's good enough that someone just might do that in a relatively early round.

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Phil Dawson wasn't Phil Dawson the Cleveland Kicker God until a few years into his career

He was MY kicker from that moment in year one, when against the Steelers, the special teams unit had to RUN out onto the field with the clock winding to zero and no time outs...I mean RAN to the LOS, snapped the ball, and Dawson beat the Steelers!  

If the 5th round pick can beat the Steelers he'll be ok in my book.....for a long time.

45 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Setting records as a punter is very different that other positions on a football team, starting with Ray Guy. You want a guy who can average 50 yds a punt and has a high percentage of punts die inside the 10. They don't call it flipping the field for nothing.

No no different