THE BROWNS BOARD

Black mob attack on Akron, OH family

calfoxwc

I would think it's just a gang. But the "now that Obama is president" has actually been said by different black students in different schools...

They need a gun in the house, I think. Or, on their person.

Akron police investigate teen mob attack on family By Phil Trexler

Beacon Journal staff writer

POSTED: 07:44 p.m. EDT, Jul 07, 2009

Akron police say they aren't ready to call it a hate crime or a gang initiation.

But to Marty Marshall, his wife and two kids, it seems pretty clear.

It came after a family night of celebrating America and freedom with a fireworks show at Firestone Stadium. Marshall, his family and two friends were gathered outside a friend's home in South Akron.

Out of nowhere, the six were attacked by dozens of teenage boys, who shouted ''This is our world'' and ''This is a black world'' as they confronted Marshall and his family.

The Marshalls, who are white, say the crowd of teens who attacked them and two friends June 27 on Girard Street numbered close to 50. The teens were all black.

''This was almost like being a terrorist act,'' Marshall said. ''And we allow this to go on in our neighborhoods?''

They said it started when one teen, without any words or warning, blindsided and assaulted Marshall's friend as he stood outside with the others.

When Marshall, 39, jumped in, he found himself being attacked by the growing group of teens.

His daughter, Rachel, 15, who weighs about 90 pounds, tried to come to his rescue. The teens pushed her to the ground.

His wife, Yvonne, pushed their son, Donald, 14, into bushes to keep him protected.

''My thing is,'' Marshall said, ''I didn't want this, but I was in fear for my wife, my kids and my friends. I felt I had to stay out there to protect them, because those guys were just jumping, swinging fists and everything.

''I'm lucky. They didn't break my ribs or bruise my ribs. I thank God, they concentrated on my thick head because I do have one. They were trying to take my head off my spine, basically.''

After several minutes of punches and kicks, the attack ended and the group ran off. The Marshalls' two adult male friends were not seriously hurt.

''I don't think I thought at that moment when I tried to jump in,'' Rachel Marshall said. ''But when I was laying on the ground, I was just scared.''

Marshall was the most seriously injured. He suffered a concussion and multiple bruises to his head and eye. He said he spent five nights in the critical care unit at Akron General Medical Center.

The construction worker said he now fears for his family's safety, and the thousands of dollars in medical bills he faces without insurance.

''I knew I was going to get beat, but not as bad as I did,'' Marshall said. ''But I did it to protect my family. I didn't have a choice. There was no need for this. We should be all getting along. But to me, it seems to be racist.''

Akron police are investigating. Right now, the case is not being classified as a racial hate crime. There were no other reports of victims assaulted by the group that night.

The department's gang unit is involved in the investigation, police said.

''We don't know if it's a known gang, or just a group of kids,'' police Lt. Rick Edwards said.

The Marshalls say they fear retaliation at home or when they go outside. They are considering arming themselves, but they're concerned about the possible problems that come with guns.

For now, they are hoping police can bring them suspects. They believe they can identify several of the attackers.

''This makes you think about your freedom,'' Marshall said. ''In all reality, where is your freedom when you have this going on?''

Martin Marshall (right) recounts the attack by a group of teens on himself and his family while they were watching a Fourth of July fireworks display in Firestone Park. His daughter, Rachel Hopson, 15, (left) and wife, Yvonne Marshall, listen. (Michael Chritton/Akron Beacon Journal) View larger version>> Akron police say they aren't ready to call it a hate crime or a gang initiation.

But to Marty Marshall, his wife and two kids, it seems pretty clear.

It came after a family night of celebrating America and freedom with a fireworks show at Firestone Stadium. Marshall, his family and two friends were gathered outside a friend's home in South Akron.

Out of nowhere, the six were attacked by dozens of teenage boys, who shouted ''This is our world'' and ''This is a black world'' as they confronted Marshall and his family.

The Marshalls, who are white, say the crowd of teens who attacked them and two friends June 27 on Girard Street numbered close to 50. The teens were all black.

''This was almost like being a terrorist act,'' Marshall said. ''And we allow this to go on in our neighborhoods?''

They said it started when one teen, without any words or warning, blindsided and assaulted Marshall's friend as he stood outside with the others.

When Marshall, 39, jumped in, he found himself being attacked by the growing group of teens.

His daughter, Rachel, 15, who weighs about 90 pounds, tried to come to his rescue. The teens pushed her to the ground.

His wife, Yvonne, pushed their son, Donald, 14, into bushes to keep him protected.

''My thing is,'' Marshall said, ''I didn't want this, but I was in fear for my wife, my kids and my friends. I felt I had to stay out there to protect them, because those guys were just jumping, swinging fists and everything.

''I'm lucky. They didn't break my ribs or bruise my ribs. I thank God, they concentrated on my thick head because I do have one. They were trying to take my head off my spine, basically.''

After several minutes of punches and kicks, the attack ended and the group ran off. The Marshalls' two adult male friends were not seriously hurt.

''I don't think I thought at that moment when I tried to jump in,'' Rachel Marshall said. ''But when I was laying on the ground, I was just scared.''

Marshall was the most seriously injured. He suffered a concussion and multiple bruises to his head and eye. He said he spent five nights in the critical care unit at Akron General Medical Center.

The construction worker said he now fears for his family's safety, and the thousands of dollars in medical bills he faces without insurance.

''I knew I was going to get beat, but not as bad as I did,'' Marshall said. ''But I did it to protect my family. I didn't have a choice. There was no need for this. We should be all getting along. But to me, it seems to be racist.''

Akron police are investigating. Right now, the case is not being classified as a racial hate crime. There were no other reports of victims assaulted by the group that night.

The department's gang unit is involved in the investigation, police said.

''We don't know if it's a known gang, or just a group of kids,'' police Lt. Rick Edwards said.

The Marshalls say they fear retaliation at home or when they go outside. They are considering arming themselves, but they're concerned about the possible problems that come with guns.

For now, they are hoping police can bring them suspects. They believe they can identify several of the attackers.

''This makes you think about your freedom,'' Marshall said. ''In all reality, where is your freedom when you have this going on?''

Wait a minute, you're saying is because we have a black president that is the cause of black on white racism. Dude, really? I guess we can go back to every white president and blame them every time Billy Jo Bob beats down a black guy yelling "White Power, this is my world". You're officially fu'ked in the head.

LOL, this has been happening for 140 years, just the other way around.

so.....that means its ok?

gottcha.....

sharpton would be all over this had it been "the other way around"......how hypocritical do ya have to be to not realize hate crimes are not defined by only white on black.

there's really no rebuttal needed for the stupidity displayed here. as they say, " better to be assumed stupid than to open your mouth and prove it."

This is disgusting.

Of course it is.

I don't doubt that those teens actually said that, and I have no doubt the uneducated, me me me segment of the black population actually feels this way.

Like Choco said, because racism existed back in the day that makes it ok for these boys to do this today? Are we living under the code of Hammurabi and nobody told me?

Nobody condones this at all. This was a criminal act. And a hate crime.

Let Al Sharpton et al talk about whatever the fcuk they want to. They're complete idiots that nobody serious takes seriously.

Listen, Cal is a complete choad who will use anything as a slam against Obama, so we all know his motivation for posting this is completely hateful. However that doesn't mean what happened was right.

Of course it isn't right. But people of all shades are committing crimes against people of all shades every single day. It's just the motivation to single out this one specific scenario that I'm interested in most. This isn't the first time someone has made a huge deal of the black-on-white portion of hate crimes in here while neglecting to give a shit about any other versions.

No, I didn't mean to say that this event is profound.

But,

1. It's close to home.

2. Like the one lady said on the oft-viewed Youtube video - now that Obama was elected,

it was the happiest day of her life, because she won't have to pay her mortgage anymore"

3. I know teachers, who have had black students SAY IN CLASS, "Now we can say and do

whatever we want, we have a black president."

4. I don't believe you have ever heard of that the other way around.

5. The gang members made it a racial attack by their own alleged statements.

6. It's just one incident, and it's probably just one messed up gang.

7. There are white supremist gangs, but I haven't heard of anything like that in Akron.

8. Akron is a good ways up the interstate.

9. Why the hostility? Nobody said anything about "only blacks have gangs" etc.

10. Read 1-3

3. I know teachers, who have had black students SAY IN CLASS, "Now we can say and do

I really need to stop coming around here.

The ACLU ought to pick up the tab for the doctor bills. And that's the extent of exposure this instance should get.

p.s. Oh yeah, and I feel bad for the family yada, yada... and the millions of other families this happens to all over the world.

Now, can we focus on Obama's ineptitude as an executive and not his color for 5 minutes, please?

No, I didn't mean to say that this event is profound.

But,

1. It's close to home.

2. Like the one lady said on the oft-viewed Youtube video - now that Obama was elected,

it was the happiest day of her life, because she won't have to pay her mortgage anymore"

4. I don't believe you have ever heard of that the other way around.

5. The gang members made it a racial attack by their own alleged statements.

6. It's just one incident, and it's probably just one messed up gang.

7. There are white supremist gangs, but I haven't heard of anything like that in Akron.

8. Akron is a good ways up the interstate.

9. Why the hostility? Nobody said anything about "only blacks have gangs" etc.

10. Read 1-3

Close to home? I am sorry you're scared.

p.s. I can do what ever I want because David Duke ran for President in 1984.

3. I know teachers, who have had black students SAY IN CLASS, "Now we can say and do whatever we want, we have a black president."

These hunters I know, went hunting down in Georgia and saw Bigfoot. I believe them. I believe everything I hear because I am scarred. And I am scarred because if I don't believe in Bigfoot, he is going to use his big feet, stomp down my door and kill me....

These hunters I know, went hunting down in Georgia and saw Bigfoot. I believe them. I believe everything I hear because I am scarred. And I am scarred because if I don't believe in Bigfoot, he is going to use his big feet, stomp down my door and kill me....

Are you a simpleton??? You sound like one.

Of course it won't be pressed under federal hate crime laws...those are reserved for African victims.

I ask this question with all due respect: what is wrong with you?

The only way a black person will get a hate crime charge is if a black person kills or beats a mexican person. And you know its true

Great, another idiot graces us with its presence. Welcome!!!

It sure took a lot of guts for you to say something so moronic.

Nobody was bashing our president here. I pissed that this event even happend so you do not want this to be a hate crime so what. Just get the people involved and punish them its that simple. But im sure nothin of this will ever be mentioned again.

you do not want this to be a hate crime so what.

Nobody condones this at all. This was a criminal act. And a hate crime.

Advice from me to you: Read the thread before you open your mouth.

K

K translation:

"One time, like, in band camp, I got poison ivy on my butt...."

Leg, I say this with all sincerity when I claim it's guys like you (ie with your sensibilities) who are going to need to come to the forefront of the GOP in order to get this two-party system working again. Too many medicinemen around, and they're doing way more damage than good...obviously.

Damage? me? Man you really are fukd up.Damage is being done by the idiots robbing and hurting people and the people are tax payers pay to protect us do nothing. They are to worried about calling something a hate crime or who knows what the fuk then do the job they are supposed to. Then some pos democrat comes along with the cum still dripping out of your mouth saying im causing damage!

Im not running for nothin in politics. But still you say Im doing damage. Why not do the world a favor and blow yourself up in the name of ali.

Ali? As in Muhammad Ali???

I would have loved to have seen what you were doing in the nine minutes between posts here. I mean, what made you come back for post #2? I NEED to understand the Psychology of it all...

Were you...

Collecting your thoughts?

Shooting guns?

Jager shots?

Beating up a fag/black/Mexican/Jew/A-Rab?

Eating a bologna sandwich?

Beating your wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend?

Ordering a Large Pizza Hut Meat Lovers Pan Pizza?

Checking your Myspace messages?

Tweeting about how you were about to go to the gym?

Calling your mom?

Feeding your cats?

Transferring the laundry from the washer to the dryer?

Watching Golden Girls on Lifetime?

Practicing your Spanish?

Watching a University of Phoenix online lecture?

Masturbating to an online semi-nude photo of Corey Feldman?

Someone needs to make a short film depicting what angry dudes do in between hateful/angry forum posts. I'd see this film on opening night.

All the personal sniping aside I still contend that the double standard attitude toward interracial crime and other anti social behavior is the biggest factor in whatever problems exist between races today.

WSS

I wouldnt say biggest, but I'd definitely agree it plays a significant role. Although I'm perfectly content calling all of them idiots and suggesting we move on, that's probably not helping either.

Archived