THE BROWNS BOARD

Week 1

Icecube

A few weeks ago, I felt most were making the mistake of overlooking the Titans, whether that be from fans, players or the media.

Let us not forget that TN has had 3 winning seasons in a row. When was the Browns last winning season? 2007. When was the last time the Browns had a 3-year consecutive winning period? 1986-1989. Yes, it's been that long. 

But you say, that is irrelevant, it only matters which team is better now. You'd be correct, but a little historical trends are worth considering. 

So, the here and now, how they match up. Firstly, most important, QBs. 

Mariota. Although he threw for a career high 68% last year, his TD to int ratio was 11-8. That's paltry. Yea, he can run, he's athletic and all that. But I just don't think he's that good.  He would have done more by now if he was. 

Baker. In just his rookie year, he showed he's already infinitely better than Mariota. 27 TDs to 14 ints. And he didn't even start the season (real genius, Hue). Bakes is clearly the better player. 

RB

I thought Henry was out but he's not on the injury report. With him, TN has the edge, without, Browns do. 

WR

No contest, Browns. TN has not been able to find any play makers at WR to save their lives. 

OL

Even with their pro bowl LT out, TN is better here. 

TE - push

DL - Browns, even though TN has some nice DLmen. 

LBs - TN

CBs - push

S - TN

Coaching. TN. Hard to give nod to Cleveland here with a head coach who has never once coached as a HC ever in his career on any level. Vrabel will prove to be the real deal,  having spent time in Pitt and NE. 

Summary - All things considered, Browns have Baker and TN has subpar QB, and missing their LT, Mariota is gonna be running for his life. I feel for those reasons, Browns do win this, maybe easily. 

24-16

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Icecube said:

A few weeks ago, I felt most were making the mistake of overlooking the Titans, whether that be from fans, players or the media.

Let us not forget that TN has had 3 winning seasons in a row. When were the Browns last winning season? 2007. When was the last time the Browns had a 3-year consecutive winning period? 1986-1989. Yes, it's been that long. 

But you say, that is irrelevant, it only matter which team is better now. You'd be correct, but a little historical trends is worth considering. 

Mariota. Although he threw for a career high 68% last year, his TD to int ratio was 11-8. That's paltry. Yea, he can run, he's athletic and all that. But I just don't think he's that good.  He would have done more by now if he was. 

Baker. In just his rookie year, he showed he's already infinitely better than Mariota. 27 TDs to 14 ints. And he didn't even start the season (real genius, Hue). Bakes is clearly the better player. 

RB

I thought Henry was out but he's not on the injury report. With him, TN has the edge, without, Browns do. 

WR

No contest, Browns. TN has not been able to find any play makers at WR to save their lives. 

OL

TE - push

DL - Browns, even though TN has some nice DLmen. 

LBs - TN

CBs - push

S - TN

Coaching. TN. Hard to give nod to Cleveland here with a head coach who has never once coached as a HC ever in his career on any level. Vrabel will prove to be the real deal,  having spent time in Pitt and NE. 

Summary - All things considered, Browns have Baker and TN has subpar QB, and missing their LT, Mariota is gonna be running for his life. I feel for those reasons, Browns do win this, maybe easily. 

24-16

Good stuff Ice! 

Not many disagreements but I think we have a better group of corners. I also think a healthy Joe Schobert is a very underrated LBer - as much as I am aware he didn't have his best season in 2018 playing w/ a bad hammy. When I saw him against Tampa a couple weeks ago - he looked like the healthy, Pro Bowl alternate version we saw here in 2017. He was everywhere.  Now that we have 4 legitimated starters upfront as opposed to only 2 last year - I give the advantage at LBer to Cleveland.

RB - This is extremely close.   I know TN finished 6th overall at running the ball in 2018 and Cleveland finished 14th.  That said, if Chubb started sooner - I think this gets a whole lot closer. Chubb led the NFL in yards after contact in 2018 and averaged 5.2 yards per carry as a rookie. 

Your summary is spot on...

The way to stop Henry is getting into the backfield fast before he has a chance to get in gear. His best runs are the ones where his OL gives him creases about 3-4 yds past the LOS. You can't arm tackle him for sure. He'll run through it while he stiffarms you out of the way. Got to be a bunch of mad dogs gang tackling him.

17 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The way to stop Henry is getting into the backfield fast before he has a chance to get in gear. His best runs are the ones where his OL gives him creases about 3-4 yds past the LOS. You can't arm tackle him for sure. He'll run through it while he stiffarms you out of the way. Got to be a bunch of mad dogs gang tackling him.

Got THAT covered!!

Mike

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

Let us not forget that TN has had 3 winning seasons in a row. When were the Browns last winning season? 2007. When was the last time the Browns had a 3-year consecutive winning period? 1986-1989. Yes, it's been that long. 

But you say, that is irrelevant, it only matter which team is better now. You'd be correct, but a little historical trends is worth considering. 

Baker. In just his rookie year, he showed he's already infinitely better than Mariota. 27 TDs to 14 ints. And he didn't even start the season (real genius, Hue). Bakes is clearly the better player. AGREE 

RB

I thought Henry was out but he's not on the injury report. With him, TN has the edge, without, Browns do. DISAGREE - Chubb is every bit as good or better than  Henry

WR

No contest, Browns. TN has not been able to find any play makers at WR to save their lives. AGREE

OL

Even with their pro bowl LT out, TN is better here.  - Ill give you a possible edge with TN

TE - push - AGREE

DL - Browns, even though TN has some nice DLmen.  Browns and its not even close. This D line is going to feast like its Thanksgiving Day against the Tits

LBs - TN - AGREE 

CBs - push - The top one on each team offset and then we dominate the rest

S - TN - maybe so

Coaching. TN. Hard to give nod to Cleveland here with a head coach who has never once coached as a HC ever in his career on any level. Vrabel will prove to be the real deal,  having spent time in Pitt and NE. Vrabel has never been a head coach either. I may be a homer but when evaluating the overall staff I think its Browns all the way. 

Summary - All things considered, Browns have Baker and TN has subpar QB, and missing their LT, Mariota is gonna be running for his life. I feel for those reasons, Browns do win this, maybe easily. - 

24-16

31-10

Good thread, my thoughts in red above

Let's not forget that Tenn. has a new OC, as last year's is in Green Bay bumping heads with Rodgers.

I will agree that at present that you have to give the edge to Vrabel, it's not his 1st year. Freddie may turn out to be great, but I don't think you can give a 1st game HC the edge in any game

Firstly let's not rewrite history, the decision to start Tyrod was soley Dorsey's which is why he gave up a third round pick to rent him for a year. Hue sucked but benching Baker wasn't on him. The loss of TN's starting left tackle will be a major factor in winning this game. Myles will be going against a backup and if he's double teamed, Ogunjobi or Vernon will be feasting on Mariota. Challenges will occur later in the season but TN isn't one of them IMO, Browns win by at least a touchdown.

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Good stuff Ice! 

Not many disagreements but I think we have a better group of corners. I also think a healthy Joe Schobert is a very underrated LBer - as much as I am aware he didn't have his best season in 2018 playing w/ a bad hammy. When I saw him against Tampa a couple weeks ago - he looked like the healthy, Pro Bowl alternate version we saw here in 2017. He was everywhere.  Now that we have 4 legitimated starters upfront as opposed to only 2 last year - I give the advantage at LBer to Cleveland.

RB - This is extremely close.   I know TN finished 6th overall at running the ball in 2018 and Cleveland finished 14th.  That said, if Chubb started sooner - I think this gets a whole lot closer. Chubb led the NFL in yards after contact in 2018 and averaged 5.2 yards per carry as a rookie. 

Your summary is spot on...

Thanks Flugel. I agree Schobert is underrated. But Wake, Evans, Brown and Landry ain't no jokes. TN gave up the 3rd least points per game in 2018. (18.9) Some of TN's rushing stats came from having a scrambling/running QB, but Henry did have a coming out party. I always thought he had a good size to speed ratio and he proved it last season. If he comes around that corner with a head of steam. you don't dare stick your arm out or he will break it off (or give you a pec tear).

At CB, Ward is simply one of the best there is, not sure about Mitchell. But Ryan and Butler for TN? Ward is better than both. And I agree Chubb is legit. 

4 hours ago, Icecube said:

Let us not forget that TN has had 3 winning seasons in a row. When was the Browns last winning season? 2007. When was the last time the Browns had a 3-year consecutive winning period? 1986-1989. Yes, it's been that long. 

But you say, that is irrelevant, it only matters which team is better now. You'd be correct, but a little historical trends are worth considering. 

Mariota is a disappointment, for sure.  The Tits are even thinking of replacing him.

RB

Disagree....At best it is a wash...but it may be edge Browns.   Chubb has shown as good as Henry has.:   Henry last year  215 carries/1059 yards.  Chubb  192 carries/ 996 yards.   Chubb 5.2 per attempt, Henry  4.6 per attempt.   Chubb was slightly better at receiving. 

WR

Check

OL

Probably all things considered.

TE - push  check

DL - Browns, even though TN has some nice DLmen.   Check

LBs - TN

CBs - push

S - TN

I want to hear your justifications on these:  LB/CB/S assessments.  Not sure I can agree...but I am just not sure.

Vrabel, certainly for now, should be considered to have the edge.

24-16

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Uhmmm  that term "Mad Dogs"  is NOT a term that any Browns fan wants to hear about any of their players.   Too many bad memories about Mike Junkin......so keep that term outcher mouth.!!

I think its imperative the Browns win this game to set the tone for the season. Expect to win, but don't expect the opponent to roll over. The Titans are a very physical team, so I think its good Freddie tried to build in toughness this whole training camp. My biggest concern is our OL versus their D-Line, I think every place else we place else I am confident we can play well enough to minimize any advantage they may have. If we can keep Baker upright in a fairly clean pocket most of the game we should win this game, if we don't could be big trouble.

2 hours ago, runyon27 said:

I think its imperative the Browns win this game to set the tone for the season. Expect to win, but don't expect the opponent to roll over. The Titans are a very physical team, so I think its good Freddie tried to build in toughness this whole training camp. My biggest concern is our OL versus their D-Line, I think every place else we place else I am confident we can play well enough to minimize any advantage they may have. If we can keep Baker upright in a fairly clean pocket most of the game we should win this game, if we don't could be big trouble.

Also, Baker doesn't need clean pocket all day, he can make defenders miss and make plays. 

7 hours ago, Icecube said:

I always thought he had a good size to speed ratio and he proved it last season. If he comes around that corner with a head of steam. you don't dare stick your arm out or he will break it off (or give you a pec tear).

Yes one of major concerns is Henry getting around the edge and into the second level when along comes ward. If ward still hasn't learned to tackle without throwing his head in there a collision with Henry is a concussion waiting to happen.  If he gets concussed in game 1 he may be out for some time.  He needs to go back to the rugby style tackling he learned at Ohio state his 2nd year there. Aim for the hip or front leg wrap around and twist. 

19 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Yes one of major concerns us Henry getting around the edge and into the second level when along comes ward. If ward still hasn't learned to tackle without throwing his head in there a collision with Henry is a concussion waiting to happen.  If he gets concussed in game 1 he may be out for some time.  He needs to go back to the rugby style tackling he learned at Ohio state his 2nd year there. Aim for the hip or front leg wrap around and twist. 

Exactly. Taking that beast head on from smaller guys (d backs) is not smart.  He's 250 lbs. with sub 4.4 speed. I know, he's not as elusive as OJ, but he can be a problem. Didn't he rip off a 99 yardr? He did. But by the way, even if he goes off, I don't think it will be enough for them to win. 

Cowherds been running his giblets for weeks now "am betting big on Titans plus 5.5 week 1" That's good enough for Baker & OBJ & me...Browns -31 Tits-13 (this ain't the same old opening browns) Titans won't hear a thing on offense, at a jacked up first energy.🦌Marcus will be seeing too many headlights. Cowherd will act like nothing happened and start putting his focus stories back on LA.. Freddie needs to pound these guys all week about penalties..and "Don't be the guy to take the bait on stupid penalties".. The Titans will test your boiling over toughness.. Freddie & Wilks will have this team ready to spook some old opening game ghost..👻

• Upvote 2

I’m curious not just how they handle Myles Garrett (they have a converted RT doing it) but the aftermath of pulling help to his rush side and how that opens up one on one matchups that we can exploit with guys like Ogunjobi, Vernon, and our backers getting to the QB.  And if blocking Garrett requires help we should have an easier time with less titans to worry about in the pass game.  Blocking Garrett and the chain reaction of trying to block him is the key the game. The Tenn game plan has to be run between the tackles /screens /draws and get the TEs active in the 5-10 yard area but I don’t think the Browns bring the blitz that often beyond their front 4 getting after the QB.  This is a really tough matchup for Tenn- facing our d without your left tackle and Tenn has a QB that can’t hurt you over the top.  

On offense if and it’s a big if we can hold up inside G/C/G positions we should put up points.  

I see the key to this game getting out fast and forcing Tenn to throw and play well behind the sticks and the scoreboard.  

I can see this game being a struggle and We struggle running the ball and give up pressure up the gut and win a 17-16 type game.  If the Browns interior line comes to play we can easily win a 31-10 type game.     

I worry more about Delanie Walker than Henry.  I think this is a different Browns front 7 against the run.  You have guys back with more experience and you add Richardson and Vernon and a different scheme.  We should be able to make  Henry go east and west before he gets to the LOS and we will have some rally to the ball.  If he can get to the perimeter and go one on one with Greedy and Ward and advantage Tenn, but I can’t see this happening beyond a few times 

Delanie Walker is their weapon that can have a big game and needs to have a big game against us. Kirksey, Morgan Burnett Or Avery lined up on him worries me and I think Mariota while not perfect doesn’t have to be perfect to make this matchup a nightmare for our D 

5 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Cowherds been running his giblets for weeks now "am betting big on Titans plus 5.5 week 1" That's good enough for Baker & OBJ & me...Browns -31 Tits-13 (this ain't the same old opening browns) Titans won't hear a thing on offense, at a jacked up first energy.🦌Marcus will be seeing too many headlights. Cowherd will act like nothing happened and start putting his focus stories back on LA.. Freddie needs to pound these guys all week about penalties..and "Don't be the guy to take the bait on stupid penalties".. The Titans will test your boiling over toughness.. Freddie & Wilks will have this team ready to spook some old opening game ghost..👻

Not surprising  the Browns  hatah  is running  his mouth.  Blow  'em out Cleveland and serve Cowie up a nice  big heaping  pile of  crow.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hx214 said:

I doubt anybody on this board is overlooking or sleeping on any team ever.... been a bad team to long to think anything is in the bag...

I actually have some Browns' fan friends who do think week 1 is a cakewalk and in the bag. I think the only way TN is in it, with a shot to win, is if they win the turnover battle. If they get ahead, they can give a steady dose of that rushing attack. 

23 hours ago, Icecube said:

I've been waiting for a post like this and I'm super stoked to be discussing game 1. I'm so incredibly excited, I can't think of another time I felt this good about our team since coming back. 

The team we're playing in the Titans wins more than they lose, and that's the important thing to remember. The Titans have a way of making the game an absolute mess, with many scores being something like 16-12 or whatever, lol. I have EVERY reason to believe this game will follow suit. Why? I'm glad you didn't ask! 🤣

So, as other posters have mentioned, we've essentially won ONE season opener since 'Nam. OK, ok, that's an exaggeration, but not by much. We're battling freaking history here, and for those of you who don't think that matters, I disagree. Weird shit happens week 1, and many who seriously bet on the NFL won't bet week 1 or will seriously reduce the amount they wage because it's so difficult to get right. 

Why else? How about FG kicker! The Seibert kid ended the preseason on a good note, but lemme tell you, the actual season is a different animal, and how many times did we lose because of kicking just last year? Now we have a rookie kicker AND a punter?! Yeesh. That scares me to death. I can JUST SEE the game coming down to a kick. 

Now, to be totally fair, I can make a lengthy post about why our Browns will WIN, but something about week 1 just terrifies me. Perhaps it's our history, or the immense covererage and hype we've received, but I just have a crazy feeling about this opener. I'm obviously still going to predict our Brownies to win cuz we have more talent overall, especially at QB and the DL, but I do believe it's going to be a damn war. The weather is supposed to be solid, and I love it. We're going to see some big time passing plays, but don't be totally surprised if we try very hard to pound the rock with Chubb. We're going to be in "12 formation" quite frequently (2 TE + 2 WR) and we're going to see what Chubb can deliver! 

Browns 27

Titans 20

Baker 24-37 for 276 yards and 1 TD and 1 pick. 

Chubb 21 carries for 139 yards and 2 TDs.