THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns going after Ramsey

Icecube

43 minutes ago, Icecube said:

I've had some of my Browns insiders text me on this. I really don't know why they would go this direction. They have enough volatile players as is. 

But you want all the talented players you can get.  Ramsey is extremely talented...likely one of the 5 best DBs in the league.

I think him likely better than anything the Browns could draft next year in round 1.

2jRA.gif       a heck of a talent yes.. and Wilks coached a Josh Norman in Carolina..though I have no insiders;) i have confidence that some team will overpay for his services..But it will not be John Dorsey     

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

i have confidence that some team will overpay for his services..But it will not be John Dorsey     

Word is that the price is 2 firsts.....

While Ramsey is a nice player, we presumably have 2 up and coming nice players........if were gonna spend big, lets go for a position of true need......Tackle or Guard anyone?

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Mudfly said:

Word...if were gonna spend big, lets go for a position of true need......Tackle or Guard anyone?

Agree Mud..and Tackles don't hangout on trees..did a OL transaction list since draft & UDFA's added..and Zeitler was gone in March, before the draft.. 1.) Tackles=we added +4, we waived -6..Were left with Drew Forbes on IR, announced as a T, but Guard'ish/self & coaches. Lamm was added before draft. 2.) Center=we added +4. we waived -4, with Lo remaining on IR.. 3.) Guards=we added +4, we waived -5..Kush was added before draft..2 remain on PS (and just added)and McGary & Teller remain on 53.. I did not know much about McCary..But i did like Wyatt Teller at school.. if he's worth 2 draft picks? then let's see him play 👀

5 hours ago, Icecube said:

I've had some of my Browns insiders text me on this. I really don't know why they would go this direction. They have enough volatile players as is. 

No sense to go after a one year rent a player at the cost of (at least) a first round pick. Ramsey's rookie deal balloons to $13 million next year. Why would we want him with both Ward and Williams already on the roster?   

• Upvote 3

I was wondering about this. It's doesn't surprise me.

2 hours ago, Mudfly said:

Word is that the price is 2 firsts.....

I've heard less... a first plus perhaps as low as a 5th.

He's better than anyone we have. Plus Ward's availability has not been stellar... plus you need a slot-corner these days. Depending upon the opponent and the match ups anyone of the three could be slot-corner of the week.

Also wonder if some use at Safety is being contemplated. After watching Ramsey hit tonite I can see him as a SS. And with his length and speed I can see Greedy as a FS.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Heck...Id do a first & "something else" to get a good talent....ala a 5th or another lesser player.....especially if he's versatile enough to move around. Hadnt thought of safety as an option for him......adds to the intrigue....

1 hour ago, Mudfly said:

Heck...Id do a first & "something else" to get a good talent....ala a 5th or another lesser player.....especially if he's versatile enough to move around. Hadnt thought of safety as an option for him......adds to the intrigue....

My worry is right now we have 7-8 dudes who will garner big time contracts. Ramsey I'd bet isn't going to play next season without a new, record setting deal. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it, but we have too many good players who need that money over the next 3 years (potentially) for this trade to make sense. Agree this only makes any sense if we traded Ward/Larry O (would make me very sad) or even a Jarvis Landry. That doesn't add up, to me anyway.

I know he has the 5th year option, but homie brought a Brinks truck to training camp. He ain't stepping on the field next year without a new contract.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I’ve got a jumbo perch in my pocket that says we don’t do more than ask about him. Gotta be polite

Doesn't sound like it's gonna rot in that there pocket...

Kudos to 'cube on this scoop...

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/20/report-lists-the-browns-as-1-of-5-major-players-for-jalen-ramsey-trade/

Report lists the Browns as 1 of 5 major players for Jalen Ramsey trade

By: Jeff Risdon | 12 minutes ago

The Jalen Ramsey trade talks are dominating the NFL discussion, even with the extremely talented Jaguars cornerback playing on Thursday night and unavailable to play until next week for any new team.

Could the Browns be the landing spot for the dynamic, disgruntled young defensive back? Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network seems to think it could happen.

Rapoport listed the Browns as one of the five primary destinations for Ramsey. The Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders, Philadelphia Eagles and Seattle Seahawks are mentioned by Rapoport as the other top suitors.

Ramsey is poised to become the NFL’s highest-paid cornerback this coming offseason. He’s in the fourth year of his rookie deal and has not been shy about demanding a top paycheck; he entered training camp by jumping out of the back of a Brinks truck. And he doesn’t want that money to come from Jacksonville, where he has had issues with Jaguars GM Tom Coughlin and recently blew up on the sidelines arguing with coach Doug Marrone.

The widely regarded asking price is at least one first-round pick and another prominent pick or player. The Browns do have some options there, but paying Ramsey an extension would mean some tough choices with several other key Browns players (Myles Garrett, JC Tretter, Joe Schobert, Damarious Randall) needing new contracts in the next 18 months.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

He's better than anyone we have. Plus Ward's availability has not been stellar... plus you need a slot-corner these days. Depending upon the opponent and the match ups anyone of the three could be slot-corner of the week.

Also wonder if some use at Safety is being contemplated. After watching Ramsey hit tonite I can see him as a SS. And with his length and speed I can see Greedy as a FS.

With a lot of 3 WR sets, having 3 cover corners on the field is certainly NOT unwarranted. And as you said, some of these guys could have the versatility to play at FS or SS at times.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Doesn't sound like it's gonna rot in that there pocket...

Kudos to 'cube on this scoop...

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/20/report-lists-the-browns-as-1-of-5-major-players-for-jalen-ramsey-trade/

Report lists the Browns as 1 of 5 major players for Jalen Ramsey trade

By: Jeff Risdon | 12 minutes ago

The Jalen Ramsey trade talks are dominating the NFL discussion, even with the extremely talented Jaguars cornerback playing on Thursday night and unavailable to play until next week for any new team.

Could the Browns be the landing spot for the dynamic, disgruntled young defensive back? Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network seems to think it could happen.

Rapoport listed the Browns as one of the five primary destinations for Ramsey. The Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders, Philadelphia Eagles and Seattle Seahawks are mentioned by Rapoport as the other top suitors.

Ramsey is poised to become the NFL’s highest-paid cornerback this coming offseason. He’s in the fourth year of his rookie deal and has not been shy about demanding a top paycheck; he entered training camp by jumping out of the back of a Brinks truck. And he doesn’t want that money to come from Jacksonville, where he has had issues with Jaguars GM Tom Coughlin and recently blew up on the sidelines arguing with coach Doug Marrone.

The widely regarded asking price is at least one first-round pick and another prominent pick or player. The Browns do have some options there, but paying Ramsey an extension would mean some tough choices with several other key Browns players (Myles Garrett, JC Tretter, Joe Schobert, Damarious Randall) needing new contracts in the next 18 months.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also heard the Steelers are interested.....but what do they have to offer?  They gave up their  first for Minkah.....unless the Jags are willing to take like 2 first rounders in subsequent years.

But, if the Steelers do that...then people would wonder about this new regime.  Dan Rooney ain't there any more.    We could end up with another Rooney Rule....similar to the Stepien Rule.

SO This means they will pay Ramsey but let Ward Walk eventually?  I think it’s terrible idea- it’s more terrifying losing two first round picks though 

But You can’t have that kind of money wrapped into one position especially with Garrett and Mayfield on the Horizon 

i don’t expect Shoebert or Randall back.  The acquisitions and draft picks this past year indicate they are moving on.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

^^^^^ This. & I already  said it once. Nice thought, but we can't  afford  a cap busting extension. No way you can pay Ramsey the sort of  money  he's  going to demand, and all the  other  talent  coming  off their rookie  contracts.  I  thought  this was supposed to be build  for long term  success Mr. Dorsey, not take  one shot at  a Super  Bowl  and have to  blow it up  after a year. We're  already  going to be on the edge of Cap Hell in 2020 unless I'm  seriously  mistaken. 

EDIT: the Jags owner said he's comfortable making Ramsey the highest paid CB in the NFL. So that would have to top the current best $75 million, $30 million guaranteed, with a yearly average of $15 million. Still interested? I'm definitely not. FWIW, Aaron Donald's contract calls for $22 million a year. Garrett plays like him, and when he's off his rookie deal get ready to open the bank vault for Myles.... 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Why would Wilks have to change his defensive philosophy to accommodate Ramsey?

What Wilks asks' of his corners to primarily play isn't tailored to the best ball that suits Ramsey.  He's an on man, hands on CB when he's at his best.  To do much of anything else with him to akin to buying a Ferrari but only driving it during rush hour.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

What Wilks asks' of his corners to primarily play isn't tailored to the best ball that suits Ramsey.  He's an on man, hands on CB when he's at his best.  To do much of anything else with him to akin to buying a Ferrari but only driving it during rush hour.  

What about moving Ramsey to Safety? He has range... he hits. Seems to me he could play either spot.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

What about moving Ramsey to Safety? He has range... he hits. Seems to me he could play either spot.

There is some history behind him playing some safety...   edit:  Would that be something I as a coach would attempt?  Not at this time.  Kid can still be shutdown corner.  Arguably the most valuable position on an NFL defense.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

The fact that he’s requesting a trade after 2 games kinda irks me. I’m more interested in a player who want to be a part of my team than a guy who want to be a part of whatever team’s best for him.

He wants to void the rookie contract from what I understand. And probably won’t be the only one. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

He wants to void the rookie contract from what I understand. And probably won’t be the only one. 

Yup.... it's become a trend.