THE BROWNS BOARD

OK SERIOUSLY

hoorta

6 hours ago, Nero said:

it reminds me Hue's team

Wow.  Absolutely nothing reminds me of Hue's team.  

Before Dorsey & Baker I NEVER thought we had a chance to win.  From the opening whistle to game's end.  'Never'.   It's a LOT different now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Orion said:

Before Dorsey & Baker I NEVER thought we had a chance to win.  From the opening whistle to game's end.  'Never'.   It's a LOT different now.

But the talent level is light-years ahead than, say, Hue's 2016 team. 

Give Freddie Hue's 2016 team and ask yourself if you think it would look a LOT different now. 

3 hours ago, Orion said:

This quote on why he was running hurry up and throwing (led to int and seahawks scoring) with less than 2 minutes to go in the half reminds me a lot of hue. Very defensive and can't believe anyone would question him.  Just admit a mistake dude.  Denying it like this makes it look like you won't learn from mistakes. 

“I would not admit that (I mismanaged the clock),’ he said. “I would admit that we need to make a better play call, make a better throw, run a better route. I would admit all of that, but that is all. Every situation is different.”

He said he was trying to score, stop the Seahawks and scored again, otherwise, “Why am I saving the timeouts? I could burn them like a bunch of people do. Why am I saving the timeouts?”

5 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

This quote on why he was running hurry up and throwing (led to int and seahawks scoring) with less than 2 minutes to go in the half reminds me a lot of hue. Very defensive and can't believe anyone would question him.  Just admit a mistake dude.  Denying it like this makes it look like you won't learn from mistakes. 

“I would not admit that (I mismanaged the clock),’ he said. “I would admit that we need to make a better play call, make a better throw, run a better route. I would admit all of that, but that is all. Every situation is different.”

He said he was trying to score, stop the Seahawks and scored again, otherwise, “Why am I saving the timeouts? I could burn them like a bunch of people do. Why am I saving the timeouts?”

If I was John Dorsey I would have serious doubts about the guy I hired as HC after hearing/reading this. 

That is just a completely brain-dead statement by Freddie. 

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

If I was John Dorsey I would have serious doubts about the guy I hired as HC after hearing/reading this. 

That is just a completely brain-dead statement by Freddie. 

I legitimately couldn't believe it when I heard it. I was looking for an article to make sure I could actually get the quote right and heard it right I was so taken back by it.

1 minute ago, bjh2130 said:

I legitimately couldn't believe it when I heard it. I was looking for an article to make sure I could actually get the quote right and heard it right I was so taken back by it.

I audibly laughed and shook my head in disbelief as I was driving to work when I heard that. Dumbfounding. 

1 minute ago, bjh2130 said:

It's not the "aggressive" decision.  It's the mistake of the decision and not owning it that is very hue like. 

Absolutely. 

Freddie is doubling-down on his stupid decisions. 

I'm coming more and more to the conclusion that Gregg Williams had way more to do with the Browns success post-Hue than most of us gave him credit for. The Browns under him last season were disciplined. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

It's not the "aggressive" decision.  It's the mistake of the decision and not owning it that is very hue like. 

If I made the decision that he made, I would not say that it was a mistake either.  It was a plan.  The player throwing the INT made the mistake.

Let's score then get some more!    I don't have a problem with it.

1 minute ago, Orion said:

If I made the decision that he made, I would not say that it was a mistake either.  It was a plan.  The player throwing the INT made the mistake.

Let's score then get some more!    I don't have a problem with it.

If the Browns kicked a field goal at that point, the score would have been 23-12 Browns. A touchdown there would have made it 27-12. 

But you are saying that you would have preferred to score either with, say 1:50 left on the clock and give the ball to the hottest QB in the NFL and take your chances of forcing a 3 and out, using all your timeouts, and trying to score with less than a minute than to just use as much time as possible, giving the Seahawks little to no chance to scoring, and going to the half up 23-12 or 27-12?

Really? 

8 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Really?

I'm saying that it was a plan.  An aggressive plan.  You play to win the game.  I hate playing not to lose.  

He played to try and get 7 points....and then maybe another 3.   I don't have a big problem with it.   HOWEVER, I didn't like him going for it on 4th and 9 a while back. 

56 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

If the Browns kicked a field goal at that point, the score would have been 23-12 Browns. A touchdown there would have made it 27-12. 

But you are saying that you would have preferred to score either with, say 1:50 left on the clock and give the ball to the hottest QB in the NFL and take your chances of forcing a 3 and out, using all your timeouts, and trying to score with less than a minute than to just use as much time as possible, giving the Seahawks little to no chance to scoring, and going to the half up 23-12 or 27-12?

Really? 

In hindsight it wasn't a good plan because it didn't work.

But really, in the moment, they had them on the ropes... they went for the knockout punch and got caught. 

Keep swinging. They remember the homeruns, not the strikeouts. We're about to find out what this team is made of.

- and I checked the penalties, I see what you were saying. The Seahawks had more penalties than we did, which I didn't realize... I think it's the context of the penalties and not the amount that mattered however. Like the horsecollar on Garrett- automatic 1st down. Phantom crackback block by Landry- negates a good gain and puts us in a massive hole... those types of penalties are drive killers and game changers, not the ticky-tack 5 yard penalties to make it look even on the stat line. 

If that's a plan, it's a stupid one. Every good coach in the league, when close to the 2 minute mark on a good drive, will use up all the clock possible, even forcing the other team to use its timeouts. 

And you have to take shots in dire situations. This team can't handle big score differences, so if you have to take 3 points take them. Mostly if it's in fourth and long. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, hoorta said:

It's trolls like this who give Ravens fans a bad name. I'm sure there's a few decent Baltimore fans out there, but I can honestly say I haven't seen one here on the Board yet. What should you expect though out of a fanbase that reveres #52- who saw a couple guys get killed, and can't remember exactly what happened? He's not here to talk football, just rag when the Browns lose. FWIW, that alone is reason enough to kick him off, but I'll wait until after the Seahawks game to send him into Internet oblivion. As to always being "great" I counted 11 seasons when the Ravens were .500 or lower. As recently as a few years ago when they were 5-11, then 8-8 a real powerhouse of a team, um not exactly. The Steelers fans should be laughing at them.

Speaking of- has Pittsburgh got their mojo back or are the Chargers that bad? Man, they sucked the big one on Sunday night.   

You're right about some decent Ravens fans. This guy is just an idiot no matter who he roots for. No reason to ban him. He obviously isn't intelligent enough to make any good points on any subject. He's kind of a distraction over here. He's harmless...way too stupid to have a conversation with.

1 hour ago, lodilobo said:

Speaking of- has Pittsburgh got their mojo back or are the Chargers that bad? Man, they sucked the big one on Sunday night. 

The Chargers were worse than that bad. They played terrible. Their offensive line isn't rated THAT low, but it should be after that debacle.

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

The Chargers were worse than that bad. They played terrible. Their offensive line isn't rated THAT low, but it should be after that debacle.

Without their key OL playcaller Pouncy, they were shit until the 4th Q.

If the Browns had a offensive line...

If the Browns minimize their penalties...

If the Browns were better in the red zone...

If the Browns were not picked off 11 times...

If the Browns receivers didn't drop so many passes...

If the Browns defense could figure out offenses... 

If the Browns had an effective defensive backfield...

Two weeks of rest will not remedy these problems.  And look who the Browns will face after their "rest", Patriots.  That's an awesome team to welcome you back. I'm an incurable pessimist because I'm a Browns fan so I predict two more wins this season and talk like I've talked for season after season...wait till next year.   

On 10/14/2019 at 5:48 AM, jiggins7919 said:

Yeah, we'll beat the best team in the league at their house. Right after we learn to actually catch the ball, not turn it over in the red zone, not fumble, and learn how to tackle. These teams like Seattle and New England are GOOD teams. They've been good for a long time, and they expect to be great. They don't beat themselves and they don't complain about the refs after the game. 

Can we win? Yeah, we COULD, but you'd be a fool to expect it. We're 2-4 for Christ's sake. Our QB leads the free world in interceptions. We're playing the best defense in the league. Draw your own conclusions. 

WE WIN

• Haha 1

On 10/14/2019 at 10:21 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Absolutely. 

I'm coming more and more to the conclusion that Gregg Williams had way more to do with the Browns success post-Hue than most of us gave him credit for. The Browns under him last season were disciplined. 

Well, it's the bye week and everything will get evaluated. Including the coaches and play calling. As they opined on Red Zone yesterday, I wouldn't be too surprized if Dorsey had a chat with Kitchens and ask him "what the hell were you thinking there"?  

Being aggressive I get- being over aggressive will lose you games.  :(  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Well, it's the bye week and everything will get evaluated. Including the coaches and play calling. As they opined on Red Zone yesterday, I wouldn't be too surprized if Dorsey had a chat with Kitchens and ask him "what the hell were you thinking there"?  

Being aggressive I get- being over aggressive will lose you games.  :(  

It almost seems like Freddie isn't being aggressive, more like he's being desperate. 

On 10/14/2019 at 10:21 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Absolutely. 

It's water under the bridge now but imo Greg Williams earned the right to be HC this year with what he accomplished last year. I saw it as a slap in the face when they bypassed him. I'm not giving up on Kitchens though and I cut him some slack as a new HC. He has the team playing at a high enough level to be competitive with some of the NFL's best but he has to get a few things cleaned up such as better clock management, play calling, mistakes etc...I think he will get it done, time will tell.

On 10/14/2019 at 10:31 PM, Dutch Oven said:

This is what I keep saying, and it's terrifying because the LAST thing I wanna do is get another coach mid season, but if our coach doesn't understand simple game dynamics, what's going to happen when things AREN'T simple? I'm not talking about some upper level, graduate course knowledge here...I'm talking about maximizing points, reducing risk, and limiting oppositional opportunities. HOW THE EFF DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THIS?! You fat, mayonnaise sandwich-eating, backwoods, squirrel hunting, dipshit of a coach!! 

Whew. I'm better now. 

5 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

HOW THE EFF DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THIS?! You fat, mayonnaise sandwich-eating, backwoods, squirrel hunting, dipshit of a coach!! 

squirrel hunting? mayonnaise? woods? that's just going too far.......!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

This is what I keep saying, and it's terrifying because the LAST thing I wanna do is get another coach mid season, but if our coach doesn't understand simple game dynamics, what's going to happen when things AREN'T simple? I'm not talking about some upper level, graduate course knowledge here...I'm talking about maximizing points, reducing risk, and limiting oppositional opportunities. HOW THE EFF DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THIS?! You fat, mayonnaise sandwich-eating, backwoods, squirrel hunting, dipshit of a coach!! 

Whew. I'm better now. 

You can rant all you want, but Freddie  will be  allowed to  play  out the  year, regardless.

• Like 1