THE BROWNS BOARD

National opinion? Baker interception one of the worst all time? ....A closer look at this.

mjp28

I'm never one to pile on a BROWNS player  -but-. this is now just one of the opinions getting national attention about the on field leader of the team....... like it or not.  It's soul searching time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Baker Mayfield throws one of the worst interceptions of all time against Patriots

Yahoo sports
Chris Cwik

October 27, 2019, 9:34 PM UTC

It’s been a sophomore season to forget for Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield. After looking like a possible star during his rookie season, Mayfield has taken a step back in Year 2.

How bad have things gotten for the former No. 1 overall pick? During Sunday’s game against the New England Patriots, Mayfield threw one of the worst interceptions you’ll ever see.

The interception occurred with 2:31 left in the first quarter with the Browns already trailing by 10 points. On the first play call of the drive, the Browns tried to set up a shovel pass to Jarvis Landry to gain some quick yards. Unfortunately for the Browns, Patriots’ defensive tackle Lawrence Guy blew up Cleveland’s offensive line.

Mayfield tried to fit the shovel pass in a tight window anyway. The ball — which travelled a yard or two at best — bounced off Guy’s face before he was able to snag it for an interception.

Two plays later, the Patriots scored again. That ran the team’s lead to 17-0 before the end of the first quarter.

The play was a perfect encapsulation of the Browns this season. Despite some excellent weapons, the team has struggled to get things going. Mayfield has been a major part of that. He entered Sunday’s game leading the NFL with 11 interceptions.

Mayfield showed why on that pick. It’s one thing to be aggressive and give your playmakers a chance. That strategy worked well for Mayfield last season.

But there’s a fine line between being aggressive and being reckless. Mayfield has been the latter far more often this season.

“To those whom much is given, much is expected.”

Anonymous, Holy Bible: King James Version

I am by no means a biblical scholar but this is an old common and often used phrase.  Much was given to the young Mr Mayfield and whether he or we or anyone else likes it or not and now much could be expected.  He had in many people's opinion earned the number 1 pick in the draft and the pay scale that goes along with that, good for him.

He then went out after an injury sidelined the current starter and stepped in and did an outstanding job as a rookie and gained national attention for his work. Then came the off-season and he has to this day continued to seek more fame and fortune, good for him.

Then came Act II the sophomore campaign starting the Golden Boy himself and he has fallen flat on his wallet dropping from record setting rookie to the bottom of the NFL quarterback club. So what happened?  Did the NFL just figure him out?  Did he and the BROWNS brain trust fail to adjust?  Or is it something else on a personal level, we just don't know yet.

Stay tuned for Act III it begins now and we all have a front row seat.  mjp

GO BROWNS !

2 hours ago, lodilobo said:

Why would a play like that be called under those circumstances??...STUPIDITY.

That's the thing too about taking one thing or snapshot in time, even sometimes taken out of context and trying to make it representative of something bigger that is happening.

........"The play was a perfect encapsulation of the Browns this season. Despite some excellent weapons, the team has struggled to get things going. Mayfield has been a major part of that. He entered Sunday’s game leading the NFL with 11 interceptions."..........

Perception or reality?  This is what is being portrayed out there.

So is 2-5 that says a lot also.

43 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

That's the thing too about taking one thing or snapshot in time, even sometimes taken out of context and trying to make it representative of something bigger that is happening.

........"The play was a perfect encapsulation of the Browns this season. Despite some excellent weapons, the team has struggled to get things going. Mayfield has been a major part of that. He entered Sunday’s game leading the NFL with 11 interceptions."..........

Perception or reality?  This is what is being portrayed out there.

So is 2-5 that says a lot also.

You are  what your  record says you are. Losses to two  very  good teams  by self  inflicted wounds.

8 minutes ago, hoorta said:

You are  what your  record says you are. Losses to two  very  good teams  by self  inflicted wounds.

Well, they have lost to 4 very good teams.  The two teams that were in the Super Bowl last year,   another that is still undefeated, and another to a team that is 6-2  (and should be 7-1...if they had not done the same thing....lose due to self inflicted wounds.)

OK, som maybe they are not quite on that level yet...the first year in.  Only the Tennessee loss is the one that really kinda blows.

And now we have 9 very winnable games.   But even there, those self inflicted wounds must stop.

12 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well, they have lost to 4 very good teams.  The two teams that were in the Super Bowl last year,   another that is still undefeated, and another to a team that is 6-2  (and should be 7-1...if they had not done the same thing....lose due to self inflicted wounds.)

OK, som maybe they are not quite on that level yet...the first year in.  Only the Tennessee loss is the one that really kinda blows.

And now we have 9 very winnable games.   But even there, those self inflicted wounds must stop.

Good points they lost to good teams they ironic part is that they could have been in the games or even won maybe 5 or 6 of those games.

I saw a great coach long ago once say that almost every game comes down to 3 or 4 key plays and if they go your way you probably win if not you just lost.

The BROWNS should not be a 2-5 team......but they are.

The worst part was that our best OL was the one who got his ass blown apart and caused the turnover.  We need our best players to start PLAYING like they're the best players.  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CoachTodd10 said:

You have to admit though it was pretty funny. The ball travelled maybe 5 feet. It kinda reminded me of the Sanchez butt fumble. We are going to see that alot the next few years.

I laughed because it was even more stupid than the buttfumble. In the buttfumble Sanchez fumbles the ball because Wilfork pushed the Olineman in a bullrush against Sanchez. In the Shovel INT the defender wins the LOS and Baker automatically hands him the ball, not thinking. 

37 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

When Weeden got stuck under the American flag prior to his first NFL game, he should have retired right then. 

I once saw Weeden throw a pass over a WR’s head so bad that they called intentional grounding. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

I was at that game.

My god was that awful to watch. i'll never forget the feeling.....

The worst/best thing about that underhanded heave of an interception is that a game or two later WEEDEN ALMOST DID IT AGAIN. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nero said:

In the Shovel INT the defender wins the LOS and Baker automatically hands him the ball, not thinking. 

Shuffle,Shovel,Shuttle? if it's Going to Landry? The play is called a jet sweep. If the ball hits the ground in any of them? it would have been a incomplete pass. It's why in the books, it goes down as a interception. The baffling part still to me is? No team can risk pulling their LT at same time risking this play. Regardless of jiggins brainy breakdown.. Even our pro bowl LG Bitonio has no super cape to jump a half gap towards LT to block Lawrence Guy..BaKe, first option is a handle Or tip option to Chubb. That was the road to take. (chubb reacted & saw it too) Chubb has a green mile in front of him (bottom of video) & OBJ clearing zone in front to block downfield..Baker needed & needs to quit playing Fortnite & start reading defenses on Madden.(notice 3 LB'er alignment at pre-snap, were running a sweep to the Pats strongest side).. It's 1st & 10 & Bake calls for the ball at 9-8 seconds.The check out was for McCary at LT to stay home & block inside and Run Chubb... the rest makes browns history that we just wait to see when it happens 🙄 weekly & yearly  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, that shovel pass INT was just another example of terrible luck. We've run that play before and it worked, and it's actually a really safe play! If it's dropped, it's simply an incomplete pass and no real harm done. This cluster taco happens to result in a pick because God roots for the Patriots I guess...I dunno. The amount of weird, unbelievable shit that happened those 3 plays in a row is absolutely staggering. 

As crazy as it sounds, we need to make more plays. "Duh Jiggins, thanks!" But seriously, we have no down field passing, we're not explosive at all, and we don't score touchdowns. We've GOT to get OBJ the ball down the field way more. We need to find a way to get points, but help is on the way. Weather will be perfect this weekend, Baker actually looked pretty decent (compare him to Sam Darnold...yo) and I HAVE to believe some of the penalties and turnovers will be rectified. 

Like I said in another post, we're going to beat the BRAKES off the Broncos Sunday. 

It all starts with blocking up front. The Browns offensive line as a whole has breakdowns. Like I've said before,

Peyton Manning threw 4 interceptions in a playoff game - when his offensive line was outmatched badly.

Outside of free agency - I figure the draft will go LT, RT, and ROG.

But having said that, the shovel pass ...Baker should have just kept it and improvised on the instant of the total asinine breakdown.

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The worst thing about all the mistakes and poor decisions is that the game came after a bye week. 

Nothing got fixed, boys. Nothing. 

Yea.  And by all appearances, the problems certainly seem fixable.  Maybe its a fact that this coaching staff can't fix it. 

As I ...and others have said....we have 9 upcoming very winnable games.   So far, we likely have played a number of teams that are just better, or at least more experienced at winning....and in some cases while the Browns lost, they put up a valiant effort, sabotaged by their mistakes.     But now that changes, a lot.    If this coaching staff fucks this up...and this team still keeps making the same blunders to cost them games..then that writing will be on the wall for this group of coaches.

30 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Yea.  And by all appearances, the problems certainly seem fixable.  Maybe its a fact that this coaching staff can't fix it. 

As I ...and others have said....we have 9 upcoming very winnable games.   So far, we likely have played a number of teams that are just better, or at least more experienced at winning....and in some cases while the Browns lost, they put up a valiant effort, sabotaged by their mistakes.     But now that changes, a lot.    If this coaching staff fucks this up...and this team still keeps making the same blunders to cost them games..then that writing will be on the wall for this group of coaches.

The next nine games are very winnable.

But the way the Browns keep shooting themselves in their proverbial foot, I could also see them losing to ANY of their future opponents, even the Dolphins.