THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Bills @ Browns Gameday Thread

2 minutes ago, ATOM said:

so you are knocking on chubb

I love chubb but I made a note of this in the tavern.  Hunt should be our goalline back. Hunt just goes to where the hole is (or where its supposed to be) when running short yardage.  Chubb 2 steps in the backfield because that's his run style. He's a patience and vision runner (and a tough tackle) but we need a guy running full steam at the line of scrimmage in short yardage situations. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Which, by the way was the absolute smart move by the RT.   It gave the Browns the points that were the margin of victory.

I very easily could be wrong (wont be the first or last time), but I don't believe the browns were ever going to go for that unless there was a receiver uncovered when they lined up. I think they were going to try to draw offsides and get a free play and maybe go if they jumped and moved the ball from the 4 to the 2. The playclock was at one when Hubbard jumped and didn't look like they had any intention of snapping the ball. 

2 hours ago, hx214 said:

Hmm... go jumbo package and stuff it in on 1. What a concept

Maybe they need to do the Refrigerator Perry thing, and get our heaviest player in their to play fullback.  We have a DT called Eli Ankou on the active roster.  Plow him up the middle.

I mean, it can't hurt, can it, since nothing else Ferd does works. 

1 hour ago, nickers said:

I'm grateful for the win.. But honestly speaking.. Dumbfuck Freddie is a tool... I can't ever remember seeing so many dumb in game decisions by a HC.. Bone headed call after bone headed call.. He needs to be an OC... He's way in over his head... The Browns got lucky...

1 hour ago, TypicalBrowns50 said:

Browns looked like shit but played better than the bills.

How the fuck are the bills 6-3? This is a legitimate question 

I think, honestly that they have also had the weakest schedule in the league to date. 

8 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

I very easily could be wrong (wont be the first or last time), but I don't believe the browns were ever going to go for that unless there was a receiver uncovered when they lined up. I think they were going to try to draw offsides and get a free play and maybe go if they jumped and moved the ball from the 4 to the 2. The playclock was at one when Hubbard jumped and didn't look like they had any intention of snapping the ball. 

Uhmm.  Maybe. 

(but we are dealing with Freddie....you perhaps give him too much credit for having that sort of forethought.)

36 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Freddie better get Higgins out of his dog house.  We had Khadarel Hodge on the field on the goalline and he didn't do his job on the rub route screen to Landry (when Landry yelled at him after play) . Higgins meanwhile obviously had the clutch td, but he also had a monster block on a little swing pass to either Hunt or Landry that allowed the receiver to pick up 20 plus yards.  He does everything right including the little things like rub routes and blocking.  He has chemistry with Baker. He needs to be on the field in our 3 receiver sets. I get if he refused to go in a game he should be punished.  He has served his time though and it's time to give him more snaps. 

Am not giving up on finding that block..it was a classic crash..   but got this

Watch the shake & get off me on Higgins mind. Watch Bake's head & eyes move from off strong to weak side single coverage. Just like ya drew it up in the dirt at home..       

14 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You really are a "tiny thinker" aren't you?

If you don't like the bright spots, that's fine. Don't want to celebrate 3-6? Good. It's sobering to see where the Browns are even after their first win in a long time. But there it is. If it ticks you off, look to Dorsey, who promoted Kitchens in no small part because Mayfield reportedly wanted him. Look to Kitchens and his questionable game management. Add in player drama, injuries, etc.

The Browns came *very* close to going 2-7 today,  or nearly double the losses to wins. Instead they are a step closer to evening things out in their record by hitting 3-6 instead. And, they aren't in last place in the division, which isn't the best thing in the world, but truthfully is one of the best things you can say about this incarnation of the Browns. It isn't what a lot of people were expecting, but, it's where Cleveland is. At this point 8-8 or 7-9 would be a good finish to the season.

47 minutes ago, ATOM said:

fewer penalties and not turning the ball over 

Just like last week but we made that last drive count. In front of the home crowd, and I LOVED to see Baker get that game-winning march under his belt. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tinythinker said:

If you don't like the bright spots, that's fine. Don't want to celebrate 3-6? Good. It's sobering to see where the Browns are even after their first win in a long time. But there it is. If it ticks you off, look to Dorsey, who promoted Kitchens in no small part because Mayfield reportedly wanted him. Look to Kitchens and his questionable game management. Add in player drama, injuries, etc.

The Browns came *very* close to going 2-7 today,  or nearly double the losses to wins. Instead they are a step closer to evening things out in their record by hitting 3-6 instead. And, they aren't in last place in the division, which isn't the best thing in the world, but truthfully is one of the best things you can say about this incarnation of the Browns. It isn't what a lot of people were expecting, but, it's where Cleveland is. At this point 8-8 or 7-9 would be a good finish to the season.

So, they have not lived up to expectations....and you revel in that, teeny tiny thinker.

I have a question. Are the red zone problems caused by the playcalling or the player's inability to execute? It's obviously gotta be a combination of both, but to what degree? And it's difficult to blame EVERYTHING on Freddie because Baker has missed so many TD pass reads in the red zone. Freddie didn't make Demetrius Harris jump for no reason in the end zone, or drop the pass against the 49's that got picked, or miss wide open OBJ in the paydirt, or throw it behind an open Landry for a pick. It's just really difficult to blame Freddie for ALL our problems when plays have been there for us. 

Lemme tell you something else. Remember that incredible throw and catch to Landry on our final drive that got us to around the 15ish yard line? Well, Baker missed yet another touchdown pass. Granted, he had NO time to scan the field, but Kareem Hunt snuck out of the backfield UNCOVERED. Baker could've blindly tossed up a punt and Hunt could've moonwalked into the end zone. Go back and watch the play. He's so open it's nauseating. 

What am I saying? I'm saying Freddie has called plays that result in opportunities. Do I LIKE him as a coach or playcaller? Fudge no. I'll never forgive him for a 4th and 9 draw play. Ever. We almost NEVER have timeouts at the end of the game. And his fault or not, it was completely humiliating not to score after 8 plays from the 3 yard line, and the only reason we kicked a FG the NEXT time was because Hubbard saved our asses with the miracle false start. 

I'm certainly not bitching. I'm beyond floored we got the win, and I hope it carries forward this week. Something is definitely not right with our offense, but we looked a LITTLE better at times today. Let's finish more drives Thursday and actually beat their ASSES. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, tinythinker said:

Lest we forget- the Bill pulled yet another Scott Norwood miss out of their hat to tie the game with time expiring to give us the win. 

I posted in another thread- and now having time to meditate on it. Yeah, being aggressive is fine- being STUPID aggressive is not. You're running into a brick wall on the one Freddie- take the damn points while you have the chance. 

Our offensive line isn’t dominant ..getting points is tough when the run game gets stuffed in the redzone.. Also Nick Chubb missed the one potential sprint for the pylon opportunity he had.

The offense scored when it mattered and hopefully will continue to find ways to get isolated 1on1s to the playmakers..

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

I have a question. Are the red zone problems caused by the playcalling or the player's inability to execute? It's obviously gotta be a combination of both, but to what degree? And it's difficult to blame EVERYTHING on Freddie because Baker has missed so many TD pass reads in the red zone. Freddie didn't make Demetrius Harris jump for no reason in the end zone, or drop the pass against the 49's that got picked, or miss wide open OBJ in the paydirt, or throw it behind an open Landry for a pick. It's just really difficult to blame Freddie for ALL our problems when plays have been there for us. 

Lemme tell you something else. Remember that incredible throw and catch to Landry on our final drive that got us to around the 15ish yard line? Well, Baker missed yet another touchdown pass. Granted, he had NO time to scan the field, but Kareem Hunt snuck out of the backfield UNCOVERED. Baker could've blindly tossed up a punt and Hunt could've moonwalked into the end zone. Go back and watch the play. He's so open it's nauseating. 

What am I saying? I'm saying Freddie has called plays that result in opportunities. Do I LIKE him as a coach or playcaller? Fudge no. I'll never forgive him for a 4th and 9 draw play. Ever. We almost NEVER have timeouts at the end of the game. And his fault or not, it was completely humiliating not to score after 8 plays from the 3 yard line, and the only reason we kicked a FG the NEXT time was because Hubbard saved our asses with the miracle false start. 

I'm certainly not bitching. I'm beyond floored we got the win, and I hope it carries forward this week. Something is definitely not right with our offense, but we looked a LITTLE better at times today. Let's finish more drives Thursday and actually beat their ASSES. 

I’m actually blaming the line for once.  Way too much penetration on like 6 of the 8 plays.  Maybe we need to evaluate splits or see if we are tipping plays but the Bills sold out and guessed right often.

We didn’t execute anything well in those opportunities though.  And I agree with others in here Chubb has a punch it in hard down there.

Freddie went to OBJ- thank you!!! And he ran Chubb-  hallelujah!!! We all asked for those two things.  

Now the nitpick playcaller criticism.  The Bills were begging I mean begging us to do a boot leg off a handful of those plays their backside backer and end both were pursuing down the line on the snap there was no read at all on a few of those plays. If we could have snuck a couple guys out and got baker moving left-  bingo.

• Like 1

Not a pretty win but we were 2-6 and they were the 6-2 team so it feels great to get the win. Still the red zone problems have got to be fixed. To get 8 shots at the end zone starting at the one yard line and coming away with no points is a horrible missed opportunity. The Browns were able to get the ball in the end zone when it mattered the most so I am grateful for that. 

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

I’m actually blaming the line for once.  Way too much penetration on like 6 of the 8 plays.  Maybe we need to evaluate splits or see if we are tipping plays but the Bills sold out and guessed right often.

We didn’t execute anything well in those opportunities though.  And I agree with others in here Chubb has a punch it in hard down there.

Freddie went to OBJ- thank you!!! And he ran Chubb-  hallelujah!!! We all asked for those two things.  

Now the nitpick playcaller criticism.  The Bills were begging I mean begging us to do a boot leg off a handful of those plays their backside backer and end both were pursuing down the line on the snap there was no read at all on a few of those plays. If we could have snuck a couple guys out and got baker moving left-  bingo.

I said the same thing. Baker would've walked in untouched. It's a ballsy call, but no way it doesn't work. We've literally NEVER tried a goalline bootleg, so nobody would see it coming. 

5 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

We won! Great! We may have gotten out coached again but at least we had a norwood going for us that gave us a win

Well...think about it.  The refs gave us a penalty...bogus perhaps?   that resulted in a 48 yard extra point attempt.  Which was missed.  If not for that, the Browns would have had a 4 point lead, and any FG attempt would have been superfluous.    So, the miss was appropriate.   Or, you could say...it was Karma.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, The Gipper said:

So, they have not lived up to expectations....and you revel in that, teeny tiny thinker.

Sheeze Gipper why  the uptick in  name  calling? No kidding  the Browns have  underperformed.  Most of us were expecting more  like 6-3 instead of  3-6 at  this point in the  season.  The Browns  will  need to  go 5-2 the rest of the way just to  finish at .500 . Ask me if even  that humble  goal is  reachable after  we play the  Steelers  on TNF. 

Playoffs?  We have to  win  out, and even 10-6 is looking  iffy  for a wild card right  now. We're not catching the  Ravens for the  division  unless  Jackson  breaks  a leg. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Sheeze Gipper why  the uptick in  name  calling?

Because, as I said.....tiny thinker was in my view reveling in the fact that the Browns were struggling. He really was.

And since when is it name calling when you call someone by their (slightly augmented)screen name? ;)

No kidding  the Browns have  underperformed.  Most of us were expecting more  like 6-3 instead of  3-6 at  this point in the  season.  The Browns  will  need to  go 5-2 the rest of the way just to  finish at .500 . Ask me if even  that humble  goal is  reachable after  we play the  Steelers  on TNF. 

Yes....and you and me and every other Browns fan on here is pissed about that....all but one apparently.

Playoffs?  We have to  win  out, and even 10-6 is looking  iffy  for a wild card right  now. We're not catching the  Ravens for the  division  unless  Jackson  breaks  a leg. 

And I don't even see Jackson as the primary cog in the Raven's success.  Sure, he is the biggest single player to affect that, but really,  to me, it is John Harbaugh's coaching that is the primary reason.  That team is NOT as talented, individually, as are the Browns, if you break it down. But clearly the whole there is greater than the sum of its parts.  

I had thought perhaps coach of the year so far would come down to:   Shanahan,  Sean Payton, John Harbaugh.   Payton hurt himself yesterday with that furball vs. the Falcons.   And, regrettably I do think now  Tomlin may have to be added to the mix.  He has those Spermsuckers in a challenge for the playoffs, despite the losses of the 3 Bs.  

22 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

... l notice he just doesn’t always follow his lead blocker. 

1. Chubb rarely has a true lead blocker in our scheme.
  2. In the ZBS often when there is a a lead blocker (or pulling OL) the D flows to them leaving a hole for the RB to find... if he leaves the lead.
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Tour2ma said:
  1. Chubb rarely has a true lead blocker in our scheme.
  2. In the ZBS often when there is a a lead blocker (or pulling OL) the D flows to them leaving a hole for the RB to find... if he leaves the lead.

When I watched game again, specifically the goal line struggles, I noticed some things. 

First, Wyatt Tellar is abysmal at run blocking. Like, really bad. 

Next, Nick Chubb missed the hole on a goal line play and it really cost us. Rare because he has good vision, but we had a lane available inside and Chubb just missed it. Really hurt to watch because of how badly we needed to punch it in on the ground. 

Lastly, we're struggling to find our identity at the goal line (duh). We don't attempt any bootleg action (risky, but I think worth it). We don't attempt QB sneaks. Instead, we tried outside pitches, fade routes, and other low percentage plays. According to PFF, the QB sneak from the 1 yard line or less works 90% of the time. The fade route works just 30% of the time. 

We legitimately had the ball at the 1 yard line. I would have LOVED to see multiple QB sneaks in a row. Greg Robinson and Joel Bitonio are your strongest lineman, so why not run the sneak behind them? Heck, run the sneak multiple times if  you have to. We don't need style points. We need POINTS. 

Oh, one more thing. My guess is that Antonio Calloway will be cut soon. I think we're about done with him. Haven't heard anything, just a guess. 

• Upvote 1