THE BROWNS BOARD

Looking back - Josh Allen vs Josh Rosen

calfoxwc

7 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Attack weasel? ... Honestly, that's about as close to a Mongoose as I'm going to get from you -   So I'll take that as a compliment. 

To recap before captain manboobs carries on.... He's referencing a thread from the Poli board.  Can't remember exactly how it started, which is about the norm for most of the shit spewed there.

Basically I was offered up an insult about "leadership" and locker room camaraderie on the football field.  I politely reminded (sarcasm) you-know-who, that he has no idea what he's talking about.  Both in the sense that he has no idea, but also that he himself has never set foot on a field or locker room.

Pretty sure I tossed in a 'fake tough guy' jab just to slap a bow on it. 

In my defense, if he didn't say dumb and insulting shit, I wouldn't have had to call him out.  So who's really at fault here? 

The Duck Dynasty guy isn't the only one who had talent and bowed out of football. Not by a long shot. In my sport (tennis) I've had talented guys tell me they gave up because they were just tired of busting their ass 5-6 hours every day for 10 years to try and continue. First off, there's no guarantee  Mr. Duck would have succeeded in the pros. And Bradshaw FWIW- was a pretty lousy QB by 2019 standards- and benefited greatly having a cast of future HOFers surrounding him.

Chris Borland called it quits after a year over injury concerns. 

Using outliers to try and prove desire and competitiveness are a major factor in determining pro success, well- just no.  I've made the point armchair GMs have no clue the level of detail NFL coaches go through evaluating why a guy isn't cutting it in the pros. Hell's Bells, every guy that gets drafted already has passed the scouts eyes as being talented enough to get drafted in the first place. Certainly every first round draftee gets analyzed to death, not only on talent- but a bunch of psychological testing on top of that. Yet every year like clockwork, some of them bust big time. Do some fail due to lack of desire once they start cashing big paychecks? Sure, but they're far in the minority. 

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

The Duck Dynasty guy isn't the only one who had talent and bowed out of football. Not by a long shot. In my sport (tennis) I've had talented guys tell me they gave up because they were just tired of busting their ass 5-6 hours every day for 10 years to try and continue. First off, there's no guarantee  Mr. Duck would have succeeded in the pros. And Bradshaw FWIW- was a pretty lousy QB by 2019 standards- and benefited greatly having a cast of future HOFers surrounding him.

Chris Borland called it quits after a year over injury concerns. 

Using outliers to try and prove desire and competitiveness are a major factor in determining pro success, well- just no.  I've made the point armchair GMs have no clue the level of detail NFL coaches go through evaluating why a guy isn't cutting it in the pros. Hell's Bells, every guy that gets drafted already has passed the scouts eyes as being talented enough to get drafted in the first place. Certainly every first round draftee gets analyzed to death, not only on talent- but a bunch of psychological testing on top of that. Yet every year like clockwork, some of them bust big time. Do some fail due to lack of desire once they start cashing big paychecks? Sure, but they're far in the minority. 

You quote the right dude here?  Because I read this twice and I"m lost.

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

You quote the right dude here?  Because I read this twice and I"m lost.

Yeah- sort of backing up what you already said. Cal can have his opinion (even though I think he's dead wrong). I've never watched an episode of Duck Dynasty- so I could care less if the guy quit football to go hunting (or whatever he does on the show).   

59 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Yeah- sort of backing up what you already said. Cal can have his opinion (even though I think he's dead wrong). I've never watched an episode of Duck Dynasty- so I could care less if the guy quit football to go hunting (or whatever he does on the show).   

Invented an amazing duck call. Became a millionaire. Still hunts and fishes...lives in the same house. Grew up in poverty...it was a very funny, decent show.

16 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Seeing leadership up close, in real life is a far different from divining it thru a TV set.  The latter is what you pretend you can do.TOUR

LOL. you are being an ass now. Here's a few things you can know - my apprenticeship in a machine shop ran out a year after high school, and immediately I got drafted in 1970. They saw the big 11" scar on my knee, at the physical...having had it restructured the summer after the ninth grade, and ended up telling me they were sending me home because my knee wouldn't last one week in basic.

Everything else but my knee was perfect.

2 1/2 years later, I enlisted - there was going to be a huge long strike at Dad's work, and it was going to be hostile and last months. And, a rubber company closed, and there were thousands of those employees frantically signing up for every job. So...

I enlisted. They weren't going to let me in, but I enlisted in the Air Force, because the Navy recruiter looked at the xray I showed him of my knee and he said he didn't think they would let my knee into any branch - but a remote possibility was the Air Force - it was the shortest.

So I did. And they were going to send me home, but I told them why I did it, and how they had to give me that chance. After another three doctors there consulted, the two doctors came over and said "son, you have too much gumption for your own good, ...but we're going to give you that chance - but ...only...because it's the shortest basic. We hope you make it son, but that knee... you're going to need some luck."

Towards the end of my enlistment, like I told your little buddy Tiamsies, I was asked to join OSI. OSI is the Air Force version of NCIS in the Navy/Marines. My squadron commander said in all his years - he had only one other person recruited to the OSI, and that it was a very high honor.

But, I had a bad knee, and figured my knee couldn't take anymore. Too bad. But I'm a bit like Phil Robertson - hunting and fishing with my Dad was calling me back home. I never intended to be a lifer.

After I retired, my knee was so bad, my Wife cried, and insisted I had to go get a new knee. 

Yeah, you played football and only you know about leadership? Incredibly small of you, Tour. You have no idea.

Nice bio, Kal...

When were you ever a leader?

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Even Terry Schaivo mercifully was removed from life support... yet this thread still goes on. 

Kal keeps flyin' in to keep us from pulling the plug.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Nice bio, Kal...

When were you ever a leader?

The guy who runs to moderators on a message board whenever his snowflake feelings get hurt - a leader? That's hilarious. 

And Kremlin Kal…. that's also hilarious. I think it will stick. 

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Terry Schaivo...is kind of alive-O.

From Doc Hoorta. Nope, she's  pretty  dead, and has been  for a long time. I'll never forget  Sean Hannity's outspoken  defense  to keep  her alive. FWIW I  asked my neurologist  pal  his opinion when her CAT  scan  became public.  "There's  really  nothing  left there. Usually  the family  let's  them go long before  it gets to that state." She might be  still  alive, vegging along  if mom  and dad had kept  to their  fantasy she was somehow  going to  improve.  

From Duck Dynasty to persistent vegetative state, I  think  this thread has run  its course. We can revisit  it at some  future  date.  :)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• hoorta locked this topic