THE BROWNS BOARD

Steve Carlson

ballpeen

I want to see Carlson play a lot more.  The guy was a very good receiver in college, and lets face it, anybody who can stiff arm like that needs to play.  We don't need to keep playing cream puffs .

• Upvote 1

I wanted to see him also.  But at first he was winding up in the area of other receivers...so I was thinking, 'Well, he's not running the right routes and we're trying to make a playoff push.'  Of course, now, all bets are off so let's see him....and anyone else that we need to look at.

I guess they don't call the old Hands to the face when you're stiff arming a defender into the turf.  :)

It’s been fun for me watching the TE play this year. It’s been a bit of a revolving door with Harris being the only mainstay. The team relies a lot on the TEs on certain plays, mostly for blocking purposes. Sometimes those guys are squared up with the opposing team’s marquee edge rusher, and more often than not have done well. 

That said l’m not sure what the future holds for the position. I really thought Pharoah Brown was making mighty strides as a plus blocking guy, but he’s been inactive the last couple games, so l guess they like Carlson better? I dunno.

Harris has come on strong the latter half of the season, but who knows what Dorsey will decide to do.

8 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

That's good.... but I think he also said that two weeks ago. 

He'd be the 3rd.. joining Randall & Higgins saying the same thing..I'm almost convinced Freddie fell for Hue playing nurse for Duke Johnson in hard knocks..

8 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

He'd be the 3rd.. joining Randall & Higgins saying the same thing..I'm almost convinced Freddie fell for Hue playing nurse for Duke Johnson in hard knocks..

Wasn't Freddie the coach who originally brought up the fact that too many players were not on the playing field, basically alluding that he thought Hue was being too easy on them? 

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

Wasn't Freddie the coach who originally brought up the fact that too many players were not on the playing field, basically alluding that he thought Hue was being too easy on them? 

Fred was the RB coach back then & i don't remember his thoughts..but The sparks flew in hard knocks when Toad Haley had his say on key guys sitting..

• Thanks 1

Yup... it was Todd Haley pushing for players to play.

On Carlson... I like him as well. Definitely a developmental prospect, but he's got really good speed and agility on a good size frame... stuff you can't teach.

Still Njoku's position to lose, but with Carlson and Seals-Jones and Harris it is going to be a crowded position come Camp 2020.

image.png.b69cf1545374bf5324dbbab2c433b4bb.png

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

For some reason I remembered it started with Freddie, then the torch was passed to Haley, who took it to Hue. 

Ya, it was Haley and Freddie.

Steve Carlson sounds like an accountant.

Then again, Gary Barnidge sounded like an insurance agent.

David Njoku sounds like his dad is an African Tribesman and his Mom is named Karen, and always wanted a son named David.

Zombo

23 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

For some reason I remembered it started with Freddie, then the torch was passed to Haley, who took it to Hue. 

new t-shirt...Fred started It!  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Steve Carlson sounds like an accountant.

I went to school with a Steve Carlson.   (no longer with us)

I find it odd how Freddie holds Njoku out of the lineup.  He said the other day that there's no 'half-way when you're on the field' about Njoku as a reason to keep him inactive,  yet Vernon was in the lineup limping and obviously gimpy.  Will we see Njoku this week?  (after all, Njoku was drafted in round 1 while Carlson wasn't drafted at all)

4 hours ago, gumby73 said:

new t-shirt...Fred started It!  

I stand corrected...

I trust that rewatching that painful scene was punishment enough.

8 hours ago, Orion said:

I went to school with a Steve Carlson.   (no longer with us)

I find it odd how Freddie holds Njoku out of the lineup.  He said the other day that there's no 'half-way when you're on the field' about Njoku as a reason to keep him inactive,  yet Vernon was in the lineup limping and obviously gimpy.  Will we see Njoku this week?  (after all, Njoku was drafted in round 1 while Carlson wasn't drafted at all)

Think maybe that has to do with depth at the two positions that is healthy/not suspended? Three half way could also mean something along the effects of njoku saying he didn't feel good enough to practice multiple times while Vernon participated every practice. 

3 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

could also mean something along the effects of njoku saying he didn't feel good enough to practice multiple times while Vernon participated every practice. 

Well, all I've been hearing lately is Njoku saying he's been ready for weeks.

I want to say Carlson made a few plays in the preseason, but I could be confusing him with another TE.  I'm definitely liking what I see and hopefully he can stick around for a while.  I'd be interested to see us run a fade route with him, just to see if that's something he can do.  Njoku was getting pretty good at it, so having another athletic guy out there could be tough to stop.