THE BROWNS BOARD

Defense in Flux

Ibleedbrown

It’s been a wierd season for the defensive side for the Browns, at least when looking through it from the lens of what we thought we would see at the beginning of the year to where we are now.

We had visions of Garrett living in the backfield with cameo appearances from the likes of Vernon, Avery and Chris Smith.

Richardson and ‘Jobi were going to eat running backs alive who dared to run up the gut. I even liked our backups in Lawrence and Ekuale, who's name may or may not rhyme with ukulele. 

The Ward and Randall led secondary was going to lock down receivers and make life miserable for opposing QBs.

Heck, the linebackers seemed to have the question mark designation at the beginning of the season, but thanks to the play of Schobert and development of Mack, they’ve probably been the most consistent positional group on defense. 

Now with the season winding down, things got wonky. Avery must not have been a good fit. Seemed to always be inactive and then traded. I don’t think l saw the Chris Smith tummy rub all year, and now he’s gone. Lawrence too. Garrett with his debacle. Vernon’s injury. Randall’s head case reared its ugly head case. 

I suppose some of it is adapting to new things with Wilks. Some guys are better fits than others with his scheme l suppose. 

It’s not the worst place to be with the season we’ve had. Best to identify the keepers and the cutters, and keep and cut accordingly. I guess we can write off the mega extension for Randall. More money for Schobert, who l really hope we can extend. 

Am to the point where we have to pay Hunt & Schobert to 3 year deals.. I still think Dorsey has the hots to sign LT Trent Williams & I'd love to add a guy like DT Gerald McCoy for 8M to rotate at DT next season, like now at Panthers through this season only. Ogun comes up in 2021 ..Can Drew Forbes be the answer at RG or RT? can't tell ya, but Dorsey has to hit on a Lineman somewhere in this upcoming draft

Ok i got carried away..Back to the defense...FS D.Randall is asking for to much money or his deal would have got done before at 5th year option imo..

a gift would be finding 2 good Tackles

another is finding both good Safety position players...Redwine is what i saw at Miami..the wine can rock folks in the running game👀 coverage he scares me to death...

36 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Know what??? Which team(s) are going to give Wilks another HC shot?

If Wilks will be returning for next season... since he is the GM, I would think he would have a strong idea if his coaching staff will be around. 

34 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

If Wilks will be returning for next season... since he is the GM, I would think he would have a strong idea if his coaching staff will be around. 

No... not if his DC is a HC candidate... and Wilks is a HC candidate.

52 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Am to the point where we have to pay Hunt & Schobert to 3 year deals..

We might be able to afford Hunt, but I honestly see Joe gone.

Joe's a nice piece, but not the MLB I'd build a D around at any price.  He's got stats, so someone may be willing to pay him top-five MLB money, ~$14mm/yr, but it wouldn't be me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Joe's a nice piece, but not the MLB I'd build a D around at any price.  He's got stats, so someone may be willing to pay him top-five MLB money, ~$14mm/yr, but it wouldn't be me.

I have a theory that for every year you don’t do well as a head coach equals 2 years of not getting a head coaching gig after you’ve been demoted. Not sure what the track record of that theory is though.

6 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Am to the point where we have to pay Hunt & Schobert to 3 year deals.. I still think Dorsey has the hots to sign LT Trent Williams & I'd love to add a guy like DT Gerald McCoy for 8M to rotate at DT next season, like now at Panthers through this season only. Ogun comes up in 2021 ..Can Drew Forbes be the answer at RG or RT? can't tell ya, but Dorsey has to hit on a Lineman somewhere in this upcoming draft

Ok i got carried away..Back to the defense...FS D.Randall is asking for to much money or his deal would have got done before at 5th year option imo..

a gift would be finding 2 good Tackles

another is finding both good Safety position players...Redwine is what i saw at Miami..the wine can rock folks in the running game👀 coverage he scares me to death...

Trent Williams is an old , banged up lineman looking for a big payday in the twilight of his career... Pass!.. We've been down this road before...

The defense had absolutely zero heart in Pittsburgh. The entire secondary should donate their game check to charity, like a food bank. 

The Wilks 4-2-5 relies on a solid D line and secondary. LBs need to cover tons of space. 

I don't hate on Wilks but perhaps when your down several D starters, and your secondary is allergic to tackling, how about scrapping your system, and put football players out there who want to tackle.

Schobert, Takitaki, & Wilson are keepers at LB. Play a dam 4/3 the rest of the season.

5 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

The defense had absolutely zero heart in Pittsburgh. The entire secondary should donate their game check to charity, like a food bank. 

The Wilks 4-2-5 relies on a solid D line and secondary. LBs need to cover tons of space. 

I don't hate on Wilks but perhaps when your down several D starters, and your secondary is allergic to tackling, how about scrapping your system, and put football players out there who want to tackle.

Schobert, Takitaki, & Wilson are keepers at LB. Play a dam 4/3 the rest of the season.

In order - 

Doesn't every defense rely on what you just said? 

You can't just "scrap" a system. Because those are the alignments, assignments and calls/language that you've been working to make second nature for over 6 months.  

With the injuries at safety, Wilks was using a fair amount of 3 LB sets when last I looked (through my haze)   

Today is my off day so I'll look more at that part later.

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

In order - 

Doesn't every defense rely on what you just said? 

You can't just "scrap" a system. Because those are the alignments, assignments and calls/language that you've been working to make second nature for over 6 months.  

With the injuries at safety, Wilks was using a fair amount of 3 LB sets when last I looked (through my haze)   

Today is my off day so I'll look more at that part later.

Fair point, however if these guys are pros, they should be able to handle additional responsibilities/assignments.

Denzell W and Greedy W aren't 3rd stringers as you know. They were horrendous in Pittsburgh, on numerous plays. Guys who are supposed to be difference makers, guys who coaches want to count on.

We all have had bad days at work. Maybe a coworker tells you to bring some energy, positive energy your next shift. The difference is mostly all of us here don't have our performances at work on tv. 

Sorry, it's Thursday and I'm still pissy about that game. Our favorite team lacks heart, outside of about maybe a dozen guys.

16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

He is another D Jackson.