THE BROWNS BOARD

We are all getting cheated

Babernakle

I think it is time that the nfl face a congressional investigation for game fixing as well as the ncaa.  The calls have never be worse or egregious.  Anyone who thinks refs are not swaying the games is obviously got their head in their ass.  It’s time to call your congressman and bitch. With all the money that is being beat on these games it needs to happen.  They have ruin the sport, and the people know it that’s why there rating are down 25% last year. 

• Haha 3

Just now, Babernakle said:

I think it is time that the nfl face a congressional investigation for game fixing as well as the ncaa.  The calls have never be worse or egregious.  Anyone who thinks refs are not swaying the games is obviously got their head in their ass.  It’s time to call your congressman and bitch. With all the money that is being beat on these games it needs to happen.  They have ruin the sport, and the people know it that’s why there rating are down 25% last year. 

I don't think the league owes an obligation to bettors to secure the integrity of the game.....but it certainly does owe it to the public...and to its teams and players.

And I think it is just bad, bad, officiating...not necessarily  "cheating" or fixing.    Though, sometimes thing are head scratchers.

• Upvote 1

Ratings have been going down because of the proven dangers of tackle football particularly by the younger people. Look at the viewership now it's us oldies that are the big share of the audience.

Soccer and other sports plus the social media world are definitely more popular than ever.

21 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Reffing is as bad as I've ever seen it, but to start passing out the tinfoil is simply batshit crazy.

A lot of the good old referees have retired and many have cushy jobs with the networks.

And yes this fixing nonsense is just tinfoil hat time. :lol:

2 hours ago, Babernakle said:

......  They have ruin the sport, and the people know it that’s why there rating are down 25% last year. 

A little fact checking, I know that the NFL numbers have been going down in recent years -but- here's an article from Forbes on the 2018-2019 season a 5% gain over the previous year.  https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanberr/2019/08/25/nfl-defies-skeptics-as-its-tv-audience-continues-to-grow/#5a04b8b17394

Viewership for the National Football League probably will rise this season as outrage over player protests fades and fans respond to high-octane offenses racking up record numbers of touchdowns.

According to TV News Check, NFL viewership during the 2018-2019 season averaged 15.8 million per game on all networks, a gain of 5 percent. The NFL's broadcast partners — NBC, CBS, and Walt Disney's ESPN — each saw gains. Football advertising rates were up between 5 and 9 percent on average depending among other things on match-ups, and time of the season, according to the website. 

Broadcast and cable networks are under assault from cord-cutters and streaming rivals like Netflix and Amazon. They are more dependent on the NFL than ever because of the large audiences pro football consistently delivers....... CONTINUED IN THE LINK.......

And the Superbowl numbers have been dropping -but- a new player is in the equation streaming video which is making up for the TV viewing slump. PLUS the NFL is going all out in it's 100th year to increase viewers and youth participation.....the lifeblood of all sports.  https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/05/super-bowl-liii-set-streaming-records-while-tv-viewership-saw-massive-drop

Football fans didn’t tune into this year’s Super Bowl coverage on TV in as large numbers as in years past. According to Nielsen, the big game drew an average televised audience of around 98.2 million viewers. CBS, however, said the big game was watched across all platforms — including digital and streaming — by a combined total of 100.7 million viewers. In addition, the streaming coverage of the game broke new records this year, which helped to make up for the TV audience decline.

The network said the streamed event was watched across 7.5 million unique devices, up more than 20 percent from last year. Streaming viewers watched more than 560 million total hours of live game coverage, up more than 19 percent from 2017. And the average minute audience of 2.6 million viewers during the game window was up over 31 percent year-over-year.

The live stream’s record-breaking numbers were aided by the fact that the stream itself was available unauthenticated across CBSSports.com, the CBS Sports app, NFL.com, the NFL app and Verizon mobile properties — including Yahoo Sports, Yahoo, AOL, AOL Sports and Tumblr. (Disclosure: TechCrunch is owned by Verizon.)....... CONTINUED IN THE LINK........

actually. the op has a point.

NFL Officiating Has Football Fans Frustrated and Angry

https://popculture.com/sports/2019/09/21/nfl-officiating-has-football-fans-frustrated...

The New Orleans Saints and their fans have a very combative relationship with NFL referees. Whether it was the missed pass interference in the NFC Championship Game earlier this year, the clock errors in week one, or the voided touchdown in week two. The Saints have been on the receiving end of some very egregious mistakes.

Detroit Lions fans, still upset, boo referees at Ford Field

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2019/10/20/detroit-lions-fans-boo...

Oct 20, 2019 · On Monday, the NFL referees had their say in the Detroit Lions’ 23-22 loss at Green Bay. On Sunday, Lions fans had their say. Twice. And they weren’t subtle.

Angry Rams fans have started a petition to get ref removed ...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/angry-rams-fans-have-started-a-petition-to-get-ref...

Jan 21, 2019 · Rams fans are so upset with the NFL's decision to have referee Bill Vinovich officiate Sunday's NFC Championship that they've actually started …

It's Official, The NFL Has An Officiating Problem ...

https://arrowheadguys.com/2019/10/23/its-official-the-nfl-has-an-officiating-problem

Those were the words penned by Commissioner Roger Goodell in an apology letter to fans after the 2012 NFL Referee Lockout. Amazing that those words would again resonate with NFL fans once more in 2019. Let’s face it, NFL officiating this season has absolutely …

NFL Fans Are Pretty Upset After Patriots’ Jonathan Jones ...

https://nesn.com/2019/10/nfl-fans-are-pretty-upset-after-patriots-jonathan-jones...

Oct 05, 2019 · The results are in, and NFL fans certainly are not happy. New England Patriots cornerback Jonathan Jones was not fined by the NFL following a hit on Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen, according ...

Upset NFL Fans Claim Refs Rigged AFC Championship. | Heavy.com

https://heavy.com/sports/2018/01/refs-patriots-afc-championship-jaguars-superbowl

Jan 22, 2018 · Upset NFL Fans Claim Refs Rigged AFC Championship. Especially when you consider this play where Earl Thomas hugged a ref…and was promptly penalized. Additionally, there was only a single penalty called on the Patriots for 10 yards, while the Jaguars were penalized multiple times to the tune of 90 yards; including two massive pass interference calls,...

Author: Paul Meekin

6 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Bad officiating yes.  Fixing games no.

doesn't have to be "fixing" games. It can be "favoring certain teams"

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/nfl/news/new-york-jets-vs-new-england-patriots-austin-seferian-jenkins-touchdown-video-nfl-news/1tjm5u8tg74dl1fdhwqwgbmg2a

Watch the video. They took away the Jets' TD, and gave the ball to the Patriots. Explain that. Just a "mistake" ?

on frickin replay?

NFL referees come under fire over questionable calls | Fox ...

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nfl-referees-come-under-fire-over-questionable-calls

Oct 08, 2018 · NFL officiating has come under fire since the start of the season. Most notably, Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews blasted officiating …

Author: Ryan Gaydos

Fans spaz out over Titans-Patriots officiating on Twitter

https://fansided.com/2018/01/13/patriots-titans-officiating-twitter-reacts-fans-upset

Fans who believe the NFL wants the New England Patriots to win were upset again by the officiating in their playoff game against the Tennessee Titans.

17 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Reffing is as bad as I've ever seen it, but to start passing out the tinfoil is simply batshit crazy.

You know that's true when cal comes in passing out more hats. Write it up and publish it in The Blaze.!!🤣

Sorry cal-I just could not resist this.😁

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

actually. the op has a point.

Which is unfortunately at the top of his head... so much pierced and torn tinfoil that could have gone

The reffing can be bad and there not be a conspiracy either to make it so or to favor certain teams... which is one of your main themes... or at least was until your above post showed many teams' fans are unhappy. With a little more effort no doubt you could find multiple examples for each team.

Hell... no fans are more entitled to bitch about the officials more this week than the Pats fans. Calls in last nite's game were laughably bad.

Or maybe the NFL just doesn't want the Pats to have home-field advantage again thru the playoffs...

I just think so many bad calls are happening, and even under clear review...

the right call still doesn't get made?

and completely, flagrantly obvious calls are ignored?

then, if you want to bitch about "favoritism" why don't YOU try to explain it?

Just referee mistakesies?

you can't be serious, that's all. Some calls are so oblivious to what happened, or didn't happen,

and they still don't get fixed under review?

Be serious. Favoritism doesn't have to be a conspiracy.

Look up the definitions of your words if you need to.

5 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

doesn't have to be "fixing" games. It can be "favoring certain teams"

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/nfl/news/new-york-jets-vs-new-england-patriots-austin-seferian-jenkins-touchdown-video-nfl-news/1tjm5u8tg74dl1fdhwqwgbmg2a

Watch the video. They took away the Jets' TD, and gave the ball to the Patriots. Explain that. Just a "mistake" ?

on frickin replay?

On that jets play seferian-Jenkins lost control of the ball he regained it but never got a body part back in the ball broke the plane of the endzone and was carried out by ASF. The only way it was the wrong call was if the ball crossed out of bounds before breaking the plane of goalline which it should have then been placed back at the place of where he lost control. 

Screenshot_20191209-162618_Chrome.jpg

Edited by bjh2130
Too add photo where ball is loose and no body part is touching the ground
  • Upvote 1

My point was, Toursies, is that it is just as asinine to try to say that the

refs just "make mistakes" when some are so glaring, and even with video replay,

they STILL DO NOT get reversed...

something is wrong. Man up and try to explain it yourself then, outside of "well, the little referees are human, too you know" when we also get to see the video replay. and even then, they won't reverse some calls.

Referees’ incompetence has reached dangerous NFL breaking ...

https://nypost.com/2019/10/15/referees...

Oct 15, 2019 · And the NFL’s move toward full-time officials ended in the summer when the league scrapped it as part of ongoing labor discussions with the NFL Referees …

Author: Steve Serby

NFL Referee, Head Of Officiating Seemingly Didn’t Know NFL ...

Sep 10, 2019 · But in terms of referee John Hussey and NFL head of officiating Al Riveron, what took place at the end of the first half on Monday night in New Orleans was a complete and utter embarrassment ...

NFL referee kills play early, costs Saints a touchdown vs ...

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/15/saints-rams-referee-mistake-cameron-jordan...

Sep 15, 2019 · The New Orleans Saints have been the victims of spectacular officiating mistakes in three consecutive games, with a premature whistle wiping out a fumble returned 89 yards for a touchdown by defensive end Cameron Jordan. ... Mike Pereira, on the broadcast that referees are advised to let the play finish out before whistling for an end to it ...

Eagles hosed by multiple referee mistakes in loss to ...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-hosed-by-multiple-referee-mistakes-in-loss...

Dec 12, 2018 · Eagles hosed by multiple referee mistakes in loss to Cowboys; NFL needs more centralized replay The league needs to look into having a bigger presence from the command center

20 hours ago, Babernakle said:

Lol another "congressional investigation". So lets impeach the referees.

I don't think the NFL is openly fixing games - never said that - it's just that the referees' calls defy rational explanation of "just mistakes"...when they do not even get overturned by replay video. I guess it's more like clusters of refs who, for reasons of their own, blow calls.

Or, they are far more disabled mentally than Forrest Gump.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Which is unfortunately at the top of his head... so much pierced and torn tinfoil that could have gone

The reffing can be bad and there not be a conspiracy either to make it so or to favor certain teams... which is one of your main themes... or at least was until your above post showed many teams' fans are unhappy. With a little more effort no doubt you could find multiple examples for each team.

Hell... no fans are more entitled to bitch about the officials more this week than the Pats fans. Calls in last nite's game were laughably bad.

Or maybe the NFL just doesn't want the Pats to have home-field advantage again thru the playoffs...

IIRC in the KC game, shouldn't that have been a TD? And an obvious quick whistle on the fumble. 

Really- anyone whining about it should just stop watching. The game is played in (amazingly fast) real time, not slow motion frame by frame replay... Was Njoku down? I say probably- but then again Baker's game killing interception got overturned too. I like to think the bad calls (usually) even out...   

15 minutes ago, hoorta said:

IIRC in the KC game, shouldn't that have been a TD? And an obvious quick whistle on the fumble. 

Really- anyone whining about it should just stop watching. The game is played in (amazingly fast) real time, not slow motion frame by frame replay... Was Njoku down? I say probably- but then again Baker's game killing interception got overturned too. I like to think the bad calls (usually) even out...   

I agree that it can be tough to get a call right in real time. That said there are egregious calls AFTER they review the plays seeing things in slow motion from all angles. Tinfoil hat or not when they get those wrong it has to make you wonder. Relative to the Njoku play perhaps I am wrong and am open to hear feedback but it was not a fumble. In countless angles he had the ball and was down. The call on the field both really time and after a long review was a fumble recovered by the Bengals. The official game log was changed to record it as an interception. It surely was not an interception. If he was down (which he was) and both he and the defender had the ball it defaults to the receiver as a catch. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

I agree that it can be tough to get a call right in real time. That said there are egregious calls AFTER they review the plays seeing things in slow motion from all angles. Tinfoil hat or not when they get those wrong it has to make you wonder. Relative to the Njoku play perhaps I am wrong and am open to hear feedback but it was not a fumble. In countless angles he had the ball and was down. The call on the field both really time and after a long review was a fumble recovered by the Bengals. The official game log was changed to record it as an interception. It surely was not an interception. If he was down (which he was) and both he and the defender had the ball it defaults to the receiver as a catch. 

EXACTLY!!

That crew yesterday also screwed up clock stuff. They were, to quote a famous EX steelers QB......"bush league"!  😁

Mike

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jcam222 said:

They did overturn it to an interception and not a fumble.  It certainly couldn't have been a fumble but I can see where it is an interception.

I believe they called it int due to the fact that if you are going to the ground during a catch you have to control the ball all the way through ground. Njoku didn't do that as once he hit the ground Vigil ripped the ball out and the ball didn't hit the ground and Cincinnati linebacker maintained possession. The best way I can explain it is let's say Vigil isnt right on top of njoku as he goes up and grabs it then when Njoku falls to his back the ball jars free and pops up into the air and Vigil comes swooping in to catch it. That would be ruled an int because he didn't complete the catch through the ground. 

Now for the gray area (if college rule is same as nfl rule).  Last year in the Michigan Ohio State game Nico Collins caught a fade in the endzone got one foot in and was going to the ground with Jeffrey Okudah draped all over him and right after Nico hit the ground Okudah raked the ball out. It was ruled on the field as incomplete but when they reviewed it they determined that he maintained possession as he hit the ground it was the act of Okudah that forced the ball loose not the ground so they overturned it and ruled it a catch and a TD.

IF (and that's a big if) the rule is the same Njoku controlled it first and as he hit the ground Vigil gained dual control and began ripping the ball away from Njoku. It was the act of Vigil raking the ball that made him lose control not the act of hitting the ground so it should have been overturned.  (Again that's a big if)

In the end I had no issue with them ruling it an interception because I don't believe that to be the rule in the NFL (I'm not certain). Njoku didn't maintain control of the ball through the ground.   I did object to the fact that they didn't rule Vigil down by contact right there at the spot he took it out of Njoku's hands and marked it at the spot where he got shoved out along the sideline.