THE BROWNS BOARD

We are all getting cheated

Babernakle

8 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Favoritism doesn't have to be a conspiracy.

Just want to preserve this for posterity...

Since we don't have sigs anymore, I may have to put it in the greeting for The Tavern...

• Haha 2

Toursies, what is your problem? compare definitions. various referees who could show favoritism could easily be random refs who do not deliberately work in secret to work together to the same end. Generally, they could favor the best teams for whatever reasons - loyalty, betting on games (as in, more likely, someone they know who bets on games), or despising a team...say...because of bottlegate or something. or greed - as in, wanting the NFL to make more money so they get paid more.

Who knows? something is wrong. and the NFL isn't fixing it.

Conspiracy does not mean the same thing as favoritism. egad.

conspiracy
[kənˈspirəsē]
NOUN
  1. a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful.
    "a conspiracy to destroy the government"
    synonyms:
    plot · scheme · stratagem · plan · machination · cabal · intrigue · palace intrigue · deception · ploy · trick · ruse · dodge · subterfuge · sharp practice · frame-up · fit-up · racket · put-up job · complot · covin

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

That you cannot see how ludicrous you're being says it all, Kal...

you're the princess who thinks he gets to redefine words to suit his fragile ego.

So let's first define the problem: 

What, precisely, makes bad calls "more" this season than before? Precisely how is a call defined as "bad"? Who makes that determination?

What's the numerator and denominator of the metric used to track this?  It won't be "zero bad calls" - that's never a thing, because if you want a game you're going to have refs.

What's the rate of this metric you're comfortable with? 

What's the variance from season to season?  it's never going to be precisely equivalent from year to year whether politicians are involved or not.

You do realize that officiating has been "egregious" the entire history of the game, right?

I think the entire goal of this thread was to demonstrate fake outrage, a lack of understanding of the game, and a lack of desire to actually change anything.

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

You do realize that officiating has been "egregious" the entire history of the game, right?

I think the entire goal of this thread was to demonstrate fake outrage, a lack of understanding of the game, and a lack of desire to actually change anything

A. Of course ref's mistakes have occurred the entire history. But back in the day, they didn't have instant replay. You do realize that instant replay was because of controversial mistakes, right? And when a flagrant mistake/no call, gets reviewed now, and STILL doesn't get corrected???

B. It's hardly fake outrage. You pay all that money for season tickets, you go to a big game, and incredibly stupid calls/no calls are made. Then, on instant replay, it shows the mistake was made, and the original mistake gets UPHELD ?

C. I do watch a good bit of the Patriots. Mostly, I keep losing the bets with our friend's daughter, who is now out of college. Almost never do I see the Patriots get hammered by refs, especially at critical times. I see them benefit by strange calls and no-calls.

A lack of understanding, sure, depends on the rules... but when you have your retired ref? hard put to explain it? That is very bad.

Back in the day, the game was far more violent toward wr's and qb's. Remember Jack Tatum?s-l1600.jpg

So, the game has more rules to try to prevent serious injuries. It's how the rules are applied. I posted before - a certain referee team was taken off one game, for both teams complaining about the mistakes... and put on another game. The Patriots...game.

And, we have instant replay. "mistakes" should usually be corrected. Especially when the replay clearly shows the truth.

and then... it DOESN'T get overturned???

NFL admits mistake in Lions-Packers game, as outrage over ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/10/15/officiating-lions-packers-game-sparks...

Oct 15, 2019 · NFL admits mistake in Lions-Packers game, as outrage over officiating grows Lions defensive end Trey Flowers (left) was flagged for two key penalties that helped contribute to …

NFL refuses to admit mistake while admitting mistake ...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/22/nfl-admits-refuses-to-admit-mistake...

Aug 22, 2018 · 53 responses to “ NFL refuses to admit mistake while admitting mistake ” ... Because there was, supposedly, no “call” to be reversed since the refs missed the fumble! I see.

The NFL Admits Refs Messed Up And Shouldn’t Have Called ...

https://brobible.com/sports/article/nfl-refs-cowboys-patriots-tripping

Nov 25, 2019 · The NFL needs to do something about the reffing situation because it's pretty bad week in and week out. During the Cowboys-Patriots game, refs called two phantom tripping calls against the Cowboys. The NFL Admits Refs Messed Up And Shouldn’t Have Called ‘Tripping’ Penalties Against Cowboys In Game Vs Patriots

NFL admits mistake as Saints season ends in controversial ...

https://www.houmatoday.com/sports/20190120/nfl...

Jan 20, 2019 · NFL admits mistake as Saints season ends in controversial NFC championship . ... The one thing I respect about the refs today is they let the guys …

ESPN.com: NFL - Report: NFL admits refs missed calls in ...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/2002/1211/1475659.html

The NFL acknowledged Wednesday its officiating crew made at least nine mistakes during Sunday's Green Bay-Minnesota game, including a pass interference call that negated a Vikings' interception on

and it isn't only pro football, either.

from 2017:

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/the-alabama-officiating-bias-is-very-very-real-111716

Browns LB Mack Wilson Calls Out Officials After Dolphins ...

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/11/browns-mack-wilson-personal-foul

Browns rookie linebacker Mack Wilson called out the refs after a bad call on a hit agains the Miami Dolphins on Sunday. Go to main menu. Heavy Browns Defender Calls Out Officials After Dolphins ...

On 12/8/2019 at 10:04 PM, mjp28 said:

A little fact checking, I know that the NFL numbers have been going down in recent years -but- here's an article from Forbes on the 2018-2019 season a 5% gain over the previous year.  https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanberr/2019/08/25/nfl-defies-skeptics-as-its-tv-audience-continues-to-grow/#5a04b8b17394

Viewership for the National Football League probably will rise this season as outrage over player protests fades and fans respond to high-octane offenses racking up record numbers of touchdowns.

According to TV News Check, NFL viewership during the 2018-2019 season averaged 15.8 million per game on all networks, a gain of 5 percent. The NFL's broadcast partners — NBC, CBS, and Walt Disney's ESPN — each saw gains. Football advertising rates were up between 5 and 9 percent on average depending among other things on match-ups, and time of the season, according to the website. 

Broadcast and cable networks are under assault from cord-cutters and streaming rivals like Netflix and Amazon. They are more dependent on the NFL than ever because of the large audiences pro football consistently delivers....... CONTINUED IN THE LINK.......

That’s wonderful but there are atleast three articals that day the other.  But forget that I know in my own town people are not watching football anymore.

On 12/13/2019 at 11:07 AM, Unsympathetic said:

So let's first define the problem: 

What, precisely, makes bad calls "more" this season than before? Precisely how is a call defined as "bad"? Who makes that determination?

What's the numerator and denominator of the metric used to track this?  It won't be "zero bad calls" - that's never a thing, because if you want a game you're going to have refs.

What's the rate of this metric you're comfortable with? 

What's the variance from season to season?  it's never going to be precisely equivalent from year to year whether politicians are involved or not.

I think the entire goal of this thread was to demonstrate fake outrage, a lack of understanding of the game, and a lack of desire to actually change anything.

I think I can speak for a lot of people by saying it’s not the fact that the refs have made horrible calls.  It’s the fact that it is lopsided for certain teams and against others.  Simple put the shit is not spread evenly.