THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Road to the Playoffs

Zombo

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Based on what I've seen so far- Burrow has a better college pedigree than any of them. Starting with a near lock Heisman. No one had a clue Mahomes was going to turn out as good as he has in the pros.

Better pedigree?  Burrows was an afterthought until this year.  No one had a clue he would do as well at LSU as he has done.  Nothing in his history showed he could do that.

You re-do that draft based on current NFL production, and the Browns would have taken Mahomes over Garrett, and not thunk twice about it. Pat has gotten the Chiefs to the playoffs every year- and they don't have a defensive lineman anywhere close to Myle's ability. All things being equal, QB is always job #1. If you don't have your franchise QB- you're looking for one.

Sure, all things being equal you take the QB.....but not all things are equal here.  The Bengals have always been gung ho on OSU players.  Given the opportunity (meaning that if it is not too far of a stretch)  the Bengals will grab the Buckeye player. 

I you want rumors- it was widely circulated Cleveland was going to trade up with the Jets to take Trubisky- but the Bears stunned everyone moving up to #2 to get him. 

Yes, that is indeed what I heard could happen.

Secondly, the Bengals have Dunlap and Atkins on defense, though both the Bungle offense and defense suck- Mahomes has proven you can make the playoffs with a great offense and a so-so defense. The Bengals are a lot closer on O than D, assuming Green can come back healthy- or doesn't leave in FA because Cheapo Mike won't pay  the going rate. Dalton is as good as gone, and wazhisname isn't the answer either. Easier by far to take the franchise QB first- when he's staring you in the face, and worry about the swiss cheese holes on the defense later, they're way easier to fill. 

Look, your argument is wholly logical....but I am simply predicting that the Bengals go with the emotional argument and take the highly rated OSU player. 

And your prediction will be dead wrong- short of Joe blowing out a knee in the playoffs. 

Nope, emotion will have nothing to do with it. Need will trump taking the Ohio State guy. And in case you forgot- Burrow played football in Athens- Ohio. was Mr. Ohio HS football. 

15 minutes ago, hoorta said:

And your prediction will be dead wrong- short of Joe blowing out a knee in the playoffs. 

Nope, emotion will have nothing to do with it. Need will trump taking the Ohio State guy. And in case you forgot- Burrow played football in Athens- Ohio. was Mr. Ohio HS football. 

My prediction won't be proven right or wrong until next April.   i.e. that the Bengals will take Chase Young.   We shall see. 

On 12/11/2019 at 12:15 PM, The Gipper said:

Results we need this weekend:

A.  Jets play Ravens.    I guess it really doesn't matter.  Ratfuckers seem to have the division sewn up.  We just need those purple pukes to be ready to beat the Steelers in a couple of weeks.

B. Jags beating Raiders, and Saints beating Colts...will help us.  Even though we are ahead of each of them in the playoff standings, them losing means we would not have to look over our shoulders so much.  Saints over Colts is a good bet.   But the Jags, I have heard, have set some kind of record as being the only team now in NFL history to lose  like 5 games in a row by 17 points or more.    And I picked them to win that division!!

C. Bills beating  Steelers.   That gives the Bills the top WC spot....but it looks like we have to concede that to them anyway.  Steelers need to get killed in this game.

D.  Titans over Texans.    We have a better chance now of taking the WC spot if the Tits win that division, and if they beat the DumbAssTexans in the two games they have going forward. 

E. The other interesting game...though it has nothing to do with the Browns,  is the oldest league rivalry:  Bears vs. Packers. 

Right on. C & D are the truly critical game results and of course we must beat Arizona.

On 12/10/2019 at 5:15 PM, Bob806 said:

Just my two cents, enjoy Yosemite for several days

More beauty per square mile than any other place I've been on this earth. Spent two days there and barely scratched the surface...

On 12/12/2019 at 3:46 PM, Gorka said:

Am I hearing an echo? Yes. I clearly mentioned that they've beaten lesser teams, and their talent is on D.

Reason #1 they keep winning is because they have talent believe it or not. Their D is #1 in sacks and #1 in takeaways and 6th overall.

Reason #2 they keep winning is because they've been beating teams with losing records...which they should because of reason #1.

Yes, the D.... very solid unit that the addition of Minkah put over the top. Cam Heyward may be the most underrated DL in the league.

And the relatively weak O is fairly strong in the OL. That plus a competent stable of RBs and a QB revolving door has kept them in the hunt to this point.

When there was enough tape on Mason his run ended. Now there should be enough on Duck to bring him back down to earth.

Tough game against the Bills Sun nite followed by what should be a win against NYJ.

PTG's playoff hopes likely rest upon whether the Ravens rest starters for their Week 17 rematch... which may well rest upon our results vs BLT in Week 16.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

More beauty per square mile than any other place I've been on this earth. Spent two days there and barely scratched the surface...

Yes, the D.... very solid unit that the addition of Minkah put over the top. Cam Heyward may be the most underrated DL in the league.

And the relatively weak O is fairly strong in the OL. That plus a competent stable of RBs and a QB revolving door has kept them in the hunt to this point.

When there was enough tape on Mason his run ended. Now there should be enough on Duck to bring him back down to earth.

Tough game against the Bills Sun nite followed by what should be a win against NYJ...

PTG's playoff hopes likely rest upon whether the Ravens rest starters for their Week 17 rematch... and that may well rest upon our results vs BLT in Week 16.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that....if there is a chance that the Ratfucks can  spoil the Spermsuckers chances of getting into the playoffs by beating them that last week....they will make a concerted effort to do it.  (even if it means that it could help the Browns......unless, of course, the Browns beat them next week, is which case they may have more interest in not facing the Browns in the playoffs).  

Even though I think the Pitts/Balt.  "rivaly"  is a bit bogus.....just one of two teams being good at the same time.....it still  has been bitter, and I think Baltimore would like nothing better than to destroy the Steelers playoff hopes.   They would rather see like the combination of  Texans/Titans get in.

And, by the way, so would I.    If the Browns can't make it in,   I would rather see the Bills and either  Tenn. or Houston make it....or both really rather than the Steelers.    I have NO interest in seeing both Balt and Pitt in the playoffs.   Fuckem.

5 minutes ago, Gorka said:

You're probably the only one on the planet that thinks that.

That rivalry is what it is because the Ravens were once the Browns.

And unlike the Browns/Steelers rivalry, both teams have been good for most of its run. Generally in the history of the Browns/Steelers rivalry, one team is good, the other not. 

Gip's assertion is yet another one fueled by his homerism. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

And unlike the Browns/Steelers rivalry, both teams have been good for most of its run. Generally in the history of the Browns/Steelers rivalry, one team is good, the other not. 

My assertion is exactly what you just said:   that it’s a rivalry  at all because they both have been good at the same time. It’s not really a rivalry that’s just competition 

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I can tell you one thing a large amount of people who think this is still a bitter ongoing rivalry are in the 60+ group and maybe some of their relatives. They can remember the 1970s games like they were yesterday.....like me.

Most younger people don't really get all worked up about the whole thing outside of the fact that they want the BROWNS to win.  Maybe it will return.....maybe.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

That is complete and total ignorance on your part. 

No, I'm pretty sure I'm right about you being the only person on the planet that thinks that Pitt/alt is not a rivalry.

Total ignorance would be denying the fact that Pittsburgh/Baltimore is a rivalry, when in fact it is one of the fiercest rivalries in the NFL.

There was no football in Cleveland for 3 years. The owner, GM, the players, and the rivalry went to Baltimore.  From Pittsburghs point of view, (and everyone else's as a matter of fact), they were playing the Browns in purple uniforms.  There was never a three year rivalry time out waiting for some shitty expansion team to show up in Cleveland.

33 minutes ago, Gorka said:

No, I'm pretty sure I'm right about you being the only person on the planet that thinks that Pitt/alt is not a rivalry.

Total ignorance would be denying the fact that Pittsburgh/Baltimore is a rivalry, when in fact it is one of the fiercest rivalries in the NFL.

There was no football in Cleveland for 3 years. The owner, GM, the players, and the rivalry went to Baltimore.  From Pittsburghs point of view, (and everyone else's as a matter of fact), they were playing the Browns in purple uniforms.  There was never a three year rivalry time out waiting for some shitty expansion team to show up in Cleveland.

Yep like I said ignorance about the fax. I just said it’s a very competitive situation that doesn’t make it a traditional rivalry. It’s like saying that the browns and the Broncos were big rivals just because they were good at the same time. That’s all this is. 

The fact is that Baltimore was placed in the AFC North because of the potential rivalry between the in the Browns due to their intertwined history. The Browns are the key to this entire division. The Bengals and the ravens are just bastard stepchildren of the Browns due to the Paul Brown and Art Modell  histories. And the Browns Steelers is among the top five oldest traditional rivalries in the NFL. Baltimore is arrivals are really on the East Coast. They are more natural rivalries are with Washington and Philadelphia. 

10 hours ago, The Gipper said:

My assertion is exactly what you just said:   that it’s a rivalry  at all because they both have been good at the same time. It’s not really a rivalry that’s just competition 

Pride is a son of a bitch. 

Just admit you were wrong, and move along. 

• Haha 1

After further review...there is no right answer here.

It all depends on how one views a "rivalry", and neither viewpoint discussed here is the wrong one.

Consider  the definition of the word. Rivalry-competition for the same objective or for superiority in the same field.

The definition does not stipulate that a rivalry must have some historic or traditional value, nor does it stipulate that the competitors in a rivalry be equals..talentwise, strength, intelligence...whatever. 

You wanna believe that a true rivalry in football means taking turns beating each other up, no one dominating the other....which is the popular viewpoint. Fine.

You wanna believe a rivalry is about  longevity, history, tradition...that's fine too..

On 11/25/2019 at 7:26 AM, gumby73 said:

#10. Browns

#9 Tennessee has the schedule left to win the division..*Let Em*..they are 1 game out & play Texans twice..Vrabel owns the better Defense 

#8 Colts-lost to Oak, but beat Tenn once,but not with Tanny..Colts at Tenn next Week..Helps when Tenn. splits head to head with Colts

#7 Oakland- Beat Colts, played poor today @KC next week, Play Tenn & Chargers head to head coming up 

#6 The Pits-Barely beat Hoyer with Colts..they travel to Zona too, @ resting Ravens last game of year..We need the division sweep of Pitt to win out any head to heads with them. Which we will jump ahead of, with both teams being 6-6 with next weeks win.. JUST BEAT the STEEL-QUEENS CLEVELAND..Chop'em down 1 week at a time.. and go win Tenn..

I will be sticking to the post Turkey Day 🦃 (Jones'in' in) path to the playoffs^^..

1) Tennessee go win the division by stomping the Texans twice 🤞but if not us? Texans can still bust the Chitzburg bubble..

2) Colts & Oakland in our rear view mirrors now, but Denver sits behind us, just 1 game back..

3) Bills mafia defense better show up at Heintz tonight. cuz, We can't count on the college bowling JetS! Anybody butt Chitzburg! Bills mafia defense was nothing mafia, when they showed up in our House..But I get this feeling, Steelqueers can't play disapline 🏈 either at this point? If & When, Allen has to take off from pocket....We will be watching to see what happens👀

1 hour ago, Gorka said:

After further review...there is no right answer here.

It all depends on how one views a "rivalry", and neither viewpoint discussed here is the wrong one.

Consider  the definition of the word. Rivalry-competition for the same objective or for superiority in the same field.

The definition does not stipulate that a rivalry must have some historic or traditional value, nor does it stipulate that the competitors in a rivalry be equals..talentwise, strength, intelligence...whatever. 

You wanna believe that a true rivalry in football means taking turns beating each other up, no one dominating the other....which is the popular viewpoint. Fine.

You wanna believe a rivalry is about  longevity, history, tradition...that's fine too..

THIS...is a fair response...with some fair arguments.  Thank you.    Yes, admittedly, I want a rivalry to be about longevity, history, tradition.

Because, if you think about the one definition that you have....while fair..  "competition for the same objective or for superiority in the same field"... if you think about that, you could claim that every single NFL team has a rivalry with every single other NFL....(and every team in every sport for that matter).  They are all going for the Championship..that is the objective. 

But, as I said,  some "rivalries"   are just a matter of happenstance that both teams are good at the same time.  Like the Browns and Broncos.  Nothing natural or traditional like that. Both teams were just good at the same time.

And take the Cavs and the Warriors.  Four consecutive Finals against each other.  That has never happened in American Professional sports otherwise.   But, now that they are both at the bottom of their respective divisions....is that still a rivalry?   I think not.

And the Ravens and Steelers can fairly well be said to both have a competitive rivalry with the Patriots.   It seems like about half of the AFC title games in this century have involved those two.  So, are those rivalries?  Not traditionally/historically.

Again....the AFCN has been set up to revolve around the Browns....and its natural/historic rivalries with each of the other 3 members.   That Peetown and Baltiwhore have developed a competitive rivalry is just a byproduct of that. 

28 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I was wrong  to ever believe that you had a lick of understanding about football history such that you could comprehend the nuances of this debate. 

I've forgotten more about football, and it's history, than you'll ever know.

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I've forgotten more about football, and it's history, than you'll ever know.

Dutch you need to learn terms to be a real football aficionado like:

Again....the AFCN has been set up to revolve around the Browns....and its natural/historic rivalries with each of the other 3 members.   That Peetown and Baltiwhore have developed a competitive rivalry is just a byproduct of that.   :lol:

Real 6th grade bathroom stuff !

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Dutch you need to learn terms to be a real football aficionado like:

Again....the AFCN has been set up to revolve around the Browns....and its natural/historic rivalries with each of the other 3 members.   That Peetown and Baltiwhore have developed a competitive rivalry is just a byproduct of that.   :lol:

Real 6th grade bathroom stuff !

Prove me wrong.   You cannot. Except, maybe, you can claim it was not "purposefully" set up that way..(though in reality it was)

A.  The Browns/Steelers rivalry IS the oldest rivary in the AFC, because it is the only one in the league that pre-dates the creation of the AFL.  In fact, when the merger happened and when it was decided that  3 NFL teams would have to move to the AFC....it was a package deal that the Browns and Steelers would come in together.  The Colts also moved, but they were the third wheel in the arrangement. 

B. Also, when the merger happened, the Bengals were placed in the Browns division.....not only because it is a natural in state rivalry, but because of the Modell/Paul Brown  animus.

C. If you recall, after the "move"....and after the Browns franchise was reactivated,  there were actually 6 teams in the AFC Central:   the current 4 AFCN teams, plus  Tennessee and Jacksonville.   And you notice, that when they completely revised the divisional setup to 4 teams each,  instead of having the Ravens  go to the AFCE, or the AFCS....they kept them in the AFCN so as to continue the drama of things.  While Modell had sold/optioned his interest in the RFs,  he was still associated with them....and the fact that in some minds (incorrectly)  there was a view that the Ravens "used to be" the Browns....they also wanted that tug of war to continue.

D.  And yes, by happenstance the Pitt/Balt.  divisional rivalry became  a very competitive rivalry.  It did NOT have the tradition, history, or animus that the the Browns rivalries with each of them had.....but they were winning and trying to get the better of each other on the field. (it had fuckall with the fact that the "Ravens used to be the Browns"....it had to do with right then, right there on field competition.  The "happenstance" that caused this particular pairing to become the competitive rivalry in the division was because:  1. the Browns failed to cooperate by being so poorly managed/coached/supplied with talent, that they did not ever put up a fight and 2. The Bengals were the Bungles....except for a few years. (and even in those years I don't think they were ever respected, even though they made some playoffs.....because they never won a playoff game...and no one ever thought that team was really serious. 

So...maybe you should go to more grade schools and hang around their bathrooms for your education.   (be the creepy old man that you are! :lol:

We Need a 4-Way Tie, or a 5-way tie, at 8-8 to get in:

It’s true, there still is a playoff picture for the Browns. But it’s not a great picture. It’s like one of those blurry pictures you accidentally take of your thumb.

It’s technically a picture, but, you know.

The best the Browns can finish is 8-8 after Sunday’s loss to the Cardinals. But Sunday night’s Bills win against the Steelers kept the Browns alive for at least another week.

The Browns’ playoff scenario now looks like this:

1. The Browns must win their final two games (vs. Ravens, Bengals) to finish 8-8.

2. The Titans (vs. Saints, Texans) and Steelers (vs. Jets, Ravens) each must lose their final two games to finish 8-8. Also, the Colts must lose at least one of their final three (vs. Saints, Panthers, Jaguars) to finish no better than 8-8.

This would create a tie among three or more teams for the final Wild Card spot. The Bills clinched the other spot.

According to the NFL tiebreaking procedures, a tie among three or more teams for a Wild Card spot first deals with divisional tiebreakers to reduce the number of teams. This works in the Browns’ favor because they would eliminate the Steelers based on a better division record. Similarly, the Colts could eliminate the Titans if both are part of a multi-team tiebreaker for the Wild Card spot.

If only two teams remain after a run through divisional steps, the tiebreaker moves head-to-head, then better conference winning percentage, which the Browns would win against every other Wild Card contender. If three or more teams remain after the divisional steps, a team that swept the other two could claim the playoff spot.

Here’s how scenarios would play out:

1. Browns, Titans, Steelers tie -- Titans win (based on head-to-head vs. the Browns).

2. Browns, Titans, Steelers, Raiders tie -- Titans win (based on sweeping Browns and Raiders).

3. Browns Titans, Steelers, Colts tie -- Browns win (based on best conference record).

4. Browns, Titans, Steelers, Colts, Raiders tie -- Browns win (based on best conference record).

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/12/how-the-browns-playoff-picture-looks-after-sundays-loss-against-the-cardinals.html

image.png

• Thanks 1

Titans play the saints. Saints need that victory for home field playoffs. Then the titans play Houston in Houston. Good chance titans go 8-8.

Steelers will play jets. I have feeling jets win. Duck has been exposed. Gase coaching for his job that will set up steelers at 8-7

I think colts end up 8-8

I think raiders end up 8-8 at best

Browns are gonna play loosely and let er rip vs Baltimore. I think Browns win in a shocker. Browns 7-8

There u have it....we will need RG3 to win vs pitt as we face Bengals. I'm confident titans n colts finish 8-8 if this happens Browns are in!

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

We Need a 4-Way Tie, or a 5-way tie, at 8-8 to get in:

It’s true, there still is a playoff picture for the Browns. But it’s not a great picture. It’s like one of those blurry pictures you accidentally take of your thumb.

It’s technically a picture, but, you know.

The best the Browns can finish is 8-8 after Sunday’s loss to the Cardinals. But Sunday night’s Bills win against the Steelers kept the Browns alive for at least another week.

The Browns’ playoff scenario now looks like this:

1. The Browns must win their final two games (vs. Ravens, Bengals) to finish 8-8.

2. The Titans (vs. Saints, Texans) and Steelers (vs. Jets, Ravens) each must lose their final two games to finish 8-8. Also, the Colts must lose at least one of their final three (vs. Saints, Panthers, Jaguars) to finish no better than 8-8.

This would create a tie among three or more teams for the final Wild Card spot. The Bills clinched the other spot.

According to the NFL tiebreaking procedures, a tie among three or more teams for a Wild Card spot first deals with divisional tiebreakers to reduce the number of teams. This works in the Browns’ favor because they would eliminate the Steelers based on a better division record. Similarly, the Colts could eliminate the Titans if both are part of a multi-team tiebreaker for the Wild Card spot.

If only two teams remain after a run through divisional steps, the tiebreaker moves head-to-head, then better conference winning percentage, which the Browns would win against every other Wild Card contender. If three or more teams remain after the divisional steps, a team that swept the other two could claim the playoff spot.

Here’s how scenarios would play out:

1. Browns, Titans, Steelers tie -- Titans win (based on head-to-head vs. the Browns).

2. Browns, Titans, Steelers, Raiders tie -- Titans win (based on sweeping Browns and Raiders).

3. Browns Titans, Steelers, Colts tie -- Browns win (based on best conference record).

4. Browns, Titans, Steelers, Colts, Raiders tie -- Browns win (based on best conference record).

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/12/how-the-browns-playoff-picture-looks-after-sundays-loss-against-the-cardinals.html

image.png

tenor.gif?itemid=11098164

About 1 in a million.

Ah.... but will Duck be the starter vs. NYJ?

On 12/14/2019 at 1:16 PM, Tour2ma said:

Tough game against the Bills Sun nite followed by what should be a win against NYJ. PTG's playoff hopes likely rest upon whether the Ravens rest starters for their Week 17 rematch... which may well rest upon our results vs BLT in Week 16. 

I'd rather be lucky and good... :)

NYJ's D does match up well with PTG... so there's a chance regardless of the QB especially since both have never been "big game" tested.

Played with 538's sweet little predictor. Confirmed what Z posted. Namely that:

• We have to win out (BLT, @CIN)
  • TN (NO, @HOU) and PTG (@NYJ, @BLT) have to lose out.
  • IND (@NO, CAR, @JAX) has to lose one, but only one, game in their last three.

That said... behind the required outcomes lay some interesting forces... good and bad for us.

• If we win out, then BLT's 1st-round Bye will hang on their beating PTG Week 17 so long as KC (@CHI, LAC) and the Pats (BUF, MIA) win out, which looks likely.
  • NO (IND, @TN, @CAR) has to win out to secure their 1st-round Bye... and so help us twice.
  • The biggest problem with the help we need is that HOU (@TB, TN) has the AFCS locked up, so they can rest starters both weeks.

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Well... with Indy down 34-0 and 8 minutes left, step one seems to be in the bag... B)

Per what I heard this morning,  Indy's defeat  eliminates them...and the Raiders.     But now, it seems that the following must all happen:

Steelers and Titans must both lose out.

Browns,  Colts, Raiders must all three win out.

This despite the fact that now it appears that both the Colts and Raiders have been eliminated.  Not much motivation for them then, is there.

The BROWNS road to the playoffs - buy a ticket.

Or stay home like the rest of us and watch it on TV, but they can afford to spend a month or two at a nice resort watching it with Myles.

2019 a totally wasted golden opportunity.

Just now, mjp28 said:

The BROWNS road to the playoffs - buy a ticket.

Or stay home like the rest of us and watch it on TV, but they can afford to spend a month or two at a nice resort watching it with Myles.

2019 a totally wasted golden opportunity.

Yea,  we know that the Browns have a khunt hair's chance of making it.  Doesn't mean we can't surmise.