THE BROWNS BOARD

Coughlin out in Jville

Icecube

I don't know quite what to make of it. I wanted him back at Jags and thought he would bring discipline and order. He did, but maybe too much. After a great 2017 (his 1st year back), the last 2 years were bad. There are all kinds of reports of him being too extreme in dealings with players, way too much a hard @ss. Unless Dorsey is canned, no sense in discussing him coming to da Land. And I'm not sure his way is effective in 2020. He loosened up in NY a tad (as head coach) and did win two rings, but it appears as EVP, he transgressed to being overly rigid and red @ssed. 

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/jalen-ramsey-leonard-fournette-jaguars-tom-coughlin

The NFL is becoming a little bit more like a reality show or soap opera every year, right ?

Remember "you're fired" ?

He violated the collective bargaining agreement by fining players for missing things that were strictly voluntary.  The union had to file a grievance to get the money back....and the union basically was telling its members that they should not be signing with JAX if/when they become FAs.   That is why he got the can.   Besides, he is 73 years old.   Time to hang it up.

40 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

He violated the collective bargaining agreement by fining players for missing things that were strictly voluntary.  The union had to file a grievance to get the money back....and the union basically was telling its members that they should not be signing with JAX if/when they become FAs.   That is why he got the can.   Besides, he is 73 years old.   Time to hang it up.

I don't really have a problem with him getting rid of players that dog it. I think we needed more of that attitude at the beginning of this season. But he's too old

WSS

Coughlin is not even remotely useful as an executive.  He was forced into trading one of the best CB's, ramsey.  JAX can also thank him for the next several millions of dollars thrown into the air and burned in the general direction of Nick Foles.

And he let Robinson go. And he signed Norwell. And he wasted way too much time on Bortles.

Fun fact: Over 25% of all NFLPA player grievances came just from JAX.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Coughlin is not even remotely useful as an executive.  He was forced into trading one of the best CB's, ramsey.  JAX can also thank him for the next several millions of dollars thrown into the air and burned in the general direction of Nick Foles.

And he let Robinson go. And he signed Norwell. And he wasted way too much time on Bortles.

And that latter fact is what got the union to tell its players not to go there.    

50 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

And that latter fact is what got the union to tell its players not to go there.    

Yikes.

I can't believe that team is still in Jacksonville. What were the cities that lost out on getting that expansion team? 

58 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Yikes.

I can't believe that team is still in Jacksonville. What were the cities that lost out on getting that expansion team? 

There were 5 cities bidding:   Baltimore was one...and, of course, later, they got Modell to try to move there.  St. Louis....which did get the Rams, but has since lost them...   And Memphis......where the Oilers originally played when they left Houston, but their bid was usurped by Nashville ultimately getting the Oilers.     

And JAX and Charlotte, which were chosen.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

There were 5 cities bidding:   Baltimore was one...and, of course, later, they got Modell to try to move there.  St. Louis....which did get the Rams, but has since lost them...   And Memphis......where the Oilers originally played when they left Houston, but their bid was usurped by Nashville ultimately getting the Oilers.     

And JAX and Charlotte, which were chosen.

Jville has not been a bad NFL city. Like anywhere, when they win, they get fans to show. 

2 hours ago, Icecube said:

Jville has not been a bad NFL city. Like anywhere, when they win, they get fans to show. 

And when they don't win- remember the tarps covering the upper levels? MHO is Jacksonville should never have gotten a franchise in the first place, too small a market. Not with Tampa and Miami already NFL cities in Florida. Unfortunately, I believe they have a Cleveland level poison pill stadium lease, meaning relocating them would be difficult if not impossible in the near future.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, hoorta said:

And when they don't win- remember the tarps covering the upper levels? MHO is Jacksonville should never have gotten a franchise in the first place, too small a market. Not with Tampa and Miami already NFL cities in Florida. Unfortunately, I believe they have a Cleveland level poison pill stadium lease, meaning relocating them would be difficult if not impossible in the near future.  

But you think Pitt deserves an NFL team, right? Every year Jville gets more fans to go to games than the Steelers do. So now what? 

Oh, and guess who outdrew the Browns that last full season on record? Oh that's right,  the Jags out -pulled the Browns in 2018. So should we remove

the Browns out of Cleveland again. Basing it on what you assert, it's time to move the Browns to London; Jville fills more seats than Cleveland does. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/attendance.htm

19 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Now, with the facts coming out, it is beyond obvious Tom had to go. His Nazi level fining players was so over-the-top. 

7 minutes ago, Icecube said:

But you think Pitt deserves an NFL team, right? Every year Jville gets more fans to go to games than the Steelers do. So now what? 

Oh, and guess who outdrew the Browns that last full season on record? Oh that's right,  the Jags out -pulled the Browns in 2018. So should we remove

the Browns out of Cleveland again. Basing it on what you assert, it's time to move the Browns to London; Jville fills more seats than Cleveland does. 

And by that same link, both had more attendance than Pittsburgh did.   Or the Washington Redskins.  A lot of that depends on the capacity of the stadiums they play in....home and road.  Cowboys have a 90K stadium.   Others have capacities that are only 50-60K.   I mean, the Jags were #10 overall per your link.  That does not make them the 10th most popular team in the league.

The Patriots should be punished and moved to London for two years for the Spygate 2 crime.

Have Kraft pay for the season ticket holders flights and lodging. 

Now that would be a punishment. Losing a draft pick and a million bucks isn't going to make a difference in their ways.

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

And by that same link, both had more attendance than Pittsburgh did.   Or the Washington Redskins.  A lot of that depends on the capacity of the stadiums they play in....home and road.  Cowboys have a 90K stadium.   Others have capacities that are only 50-60K.   I mean, the Jags were #10 overall per your link.  That does not make them the 10th most popular team in the league.

No but it does dispel the myth that they don't have support. 

I think everyone should use this as the prime example of “tough guy” football coaching and leadership is over. Coughlin Tried to old school kick trash cans over type leadership with the Jags and he blew the whole thing up and had a literal mutiny as a result.

gotta find that middle ground.

• Upvote 1

On 12/20/2019 at 9:53 PM, Bob806 said:

The Patriots should be punished and moved to London for two years for the Spygate 2 crime.

Have Kraft pay for the season ticket holders flights and lodging. 

Now that would be a punishment. Losing a draft pick and a million bucks isn't going to make a difference in their ways.

Relocate them to Jacksonville.

On 12/20/2019 at 2:51 PM, Icecube said:

Is that including their "home game" in London where they drew 85k?  That right there is 18k more than the browns stadium holds which pulls them within 8k.  Not too mention their stadium holds 15k more than the browns. So they had the opportunity to have 123k more fans attended their games yet only out did there browns by 26k in home numbers. Lastly I believe hoorta was pointing out when they  don't have a winning team (and the previous year they went to the conference champ) they don't draw. Even when they win they don't sell out lol. Granted they didn't have a great year last year but season tickets are bought in advance of the season and those numbers go off tickets sold not actually people in building. The tarps he is referencing is what makes it go from an 82k stadium to a 67k stadium. 

Seeing as how they have an opportunity to get more fans let's talk percentage of stadium filled. 81.3% for jags (not including London game because that's not a home game) 96.8% for the browns. 

17 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Is that including their "home game" in London where they drew 85k? 

IDK, can't find stats for London games, but have you watched those game? Sure don't look anything like 85k to me. Maybe 35. 

That right there is 18k more than the browns stadium holds which pulls them within 8k.  Not too mention their stadium holds 15k more than the browns. So they had the opportunity to have 123k more fans attended their games yet only out did there browns by 26k in home numbers. Lastly I believe hoorta was pointing out when they  don't have a winning team (and the previous year they went to the conference champ) they don't draw. Even when they win they don't sell out lol. Granted they didn't have a great year last year but season tickets are bought in advance of the season and those numbers go off tickets sold not actually people in building. The tarps he is referencing is what makes it go from an 82k stadium to a 67k stadium. 

I gave you the facts. They draw more attendance than Pitt, Cleveland and so forth. I totally don't buy the 85k London # but prove me wrong. 

17 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Seeing as how they have an opportunity to get more fans let's talk percentage of stadium filled. 81.3% for jags (not including London game because that's not a home game) 96.8% for the browns. 

OK, I'll go through this one more time. Jags had to overbuild stadium for 2 things:

1. They wanted to host a SB. (Did that)

2. UF-GA games are  huge in Jville. Need 80k seats. 

If any AFCN team had 80k seats, they'd never fill them. If they could, they would.  

7 hours ago, Icecube said:

I gave you the facts. They draw more attendance than Pitt, Cleveland and so forth. I totally don't buy the 85k London # but prove me wrong. 

OK, I'll go through this one more time. Jags had to overbuild stadium for 2 things:

1. They wanted to host a SB. (Did that)

2. UF-GA games are  huge in Jville. Need 80k seats. 

If any AFCN team had 80k seats, they'd never fill them. If they could, they would.  

The Cleveland Browns had an 80K+ stadium that they filled for decades at a time.

7 hours ago, Icecube said:

Here you go they got credited with 85k because this was a "home game" -17k difference. Then in just their home opener because of the bigger stadium (yet still not sold out for a home opener of  a team that went to conference championship the year before) they got 77k -10k difference. A whopping total of 27k and they outdrew the browns by less than 26k. Keep coming with your facts and I'll keep responding with "no vaseline".

Screenshot_20191223-091718_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191223-091517_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191223-091956_Chrome.jpg