THE BROWNS BOARD

Present and Future Status of Impeachment

The Gipper

Generally I do not participate on this forum, because, quite frankly, I would generally expect to be compensated for my  consultations on political matters;  but here is something for free.  I generally try to be straight forward here,  non partisan, with the information and speculations that I exposit here. Reprinted from another forum:

Here are some factors you may all want to be aware of respecting this impeachment matter:, and where and why it may go from here: 
A. In essence, the impeachment action taken is not really distinct from any other action the House has taken up and moved on, be it a bill on health care, or a bill on making a day national goof off day, or national peanut butter day. In other words, there are NO time requirements to send it to the Senate any more than those other actions have time requirements. (other than see below near the end)  The only types of bills that have time requirements are budgetary and appropriation bills, because those bills provide spending authorization to operate the government. 
B. Because impeachment is a political proceeding, it is not subject to other procedures that apply in criminal procedures. That is the reason that, in this case, people have been able to resist subpoenas to testify. In a criminal trial if a person refuses a subpoena, the Judge in a case can have that witness forced marched into court. Obviously we have seen that that does not happen here. The pertinent issue in this regard about this at this point in the proceeding is that impeachment, a political, non-criminal procedure, does not enjoy the protections of the 6th Amendments "speedy trial" provisions. There is nothing in the constitution that requires the trial in the Senate to be held at any particular point. There is nothing that requires the Speaker of the House to send the impeachment bill to the Senate at any particular point. So, she  is exercising her power here....just like the President and the Senate exercise their powers. If you were at all familiar with the federal criminal process, you would be aware that often those trials do not get held for nearly a year or more after indictments. Example, on a related front: Paul Manafort was charged in October 2017...but his case did not go to trial until August 2018. 
C. Pelosi could in fact be using the same tactics that Mitch McConnell has taken so often: delaying matters in order to get a strategic advantage over a particular issue. McConnell we know sat on the Garland Merrick nomination for 10 months from March 2016 until January 2017...knowing the nomination would expire; and we know that he is sitting on like 250-300 bills that have passed the House that are awaiting action on the Senate floor but which he will not bring to a vote. Pelosi could say (and maybe she is saying) "Mr. McConnell, you need to treat whatever we send you with equal priority. You there in the Senate have so much other work to do with all those bills sitting there, that you need to pay attention and act on those before we can possibly send these very time consuming Articles of Impeachment to you for adjudication. Do your work on all that stuff that is very important to the people of America before you tackle this very important matter. " 
D. Then there are a couple of other issues: 
1. It is NOT beyond the realm of possibility that they could hold up sending this to the Senate in the event they believe that it may be in order to augment the action with additional articles of impeachment. After all Giuliani is still taking trips to Ukraine trying to do more  of whatever it is he thinks he is doing at the authorization of the President (so he claims) ...so who knows what additional allegations could be perceived to be necessary and forthcoming. Unless and until Trump decides to put a muzzle on Giuliani , they may want to hold things up. And who knows what else could be going on. It is also possible that they may want to hold impeachment over his head as a deterrence...to what they perceive as  Trump's continued corrupt behavior. We ALL know that this Senate will not convict him, so one strategic view is to not allow him to be emboldened, thinking that since he beat impeachment  he is allowed to do anything he wants and get away with it...at least as long as they can.
2. Then there is the "election" issue. Do the Dems think that holding up the impeachment trial...to drag it on into the 2020 election season would somehow be advantageous to them? They would have to weigh that possibility against some feelings for Trump that he is being unduly put through the grinder over this impeachment and that it should have been dealt with much more swiftly.  I don't have any answers to these questions, they are all so speculative. The only thing I believe must happen is that the articles of impeachment must be brought to the Senate before the end of this Congressional term, which ends on Dec. 31, 2020. So, in theory, we could be in for a long run here.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Here is the deal. Even if the phone call was not "perfect" as Trump claims it was not something worthy of impeachment. Pelosi said she would not impeach Trump unless she had bipartisan support which did not happen with NO republicans voting for impeachment and we even had a couple democrat defections voting against it. This is a partisan political impeachment that opens the door for future presidents to be impeached for trivial actions. 

The democrats and their media allies have been wanting to impeach this president from the day he won election. This is not what impeachment was ever meant to be. Not liking a president is not grounds (or should not be grounds) for impeachment. This is thwarting the will of the 63 million voters who voted for this president and the fact we have less than a year to go before we have an election proves even further this is all political and the democrats do not want the voters to decide Trump's fate.

Just as McConnell has no control over the House,  Pelosi who ran her own kangaroo court in the House has no say how the senate will run their trial. Matter of fact after witnessing the sham impeachment in the House it is just comical for her to fret over not getting a "fair" trial in the senate.

As for Pelosi holding on to the articles of impeachment I thought the whole argument the dems used for hurrying their impeachment sham was they could not wait until next year  because Trump might interfere with the next election again ...LOL..It has been all hurry,hurry hurry and we can't wait to go to court to try and compel testimony from Bolten and others because they just don't have the time to do this the right way...so now it is hurry up and wait..

"We have to impeach Trump or he will win again in 2020" said  one of the democrat congressman who let the cat out of the bag with that statement. Pelosi who says she  prays for Trump daily and is so "somber" now about impeachment was recently asked about the rush to impeachment. She then also had a slip of the tongue and answered saying it wasn't a rush that  they had been working towards impeachment for 2 1/2 years. Ooops..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FairHooker11 said:

a new campaign slogan?

TRIUMPHANT - cant spell three terms in office without it.  

Or TRUMPLIARIAN   

That can be defined as the biggest whoppers ever. Should fit rather well into the Oxford Dictionary.👺🤴

11 hours ago, The Gipper said:

2. Then there is the "election" issue. Do the Dems think that holding up the impeachment trial...to drag it on into the 2020 election season would somehow be advantageous to them? They would have to weigh that possibility against some feelings for Trump that he is being unduly put through the grinder over this impeachment and that it should have been dealt with much more swiftly.  I don't have any answers to these questions, they are all so speculative. The only thing I believe must happen is that the articles of impeachment must be brought to the Senate before the end of this Congressional term, which ends on Dec. 31, 2020. So, in theory, we could be in for a long run here.

I do appreciate the post, Gip. But impeachment is not a political thing, it's referred to as being on the basis of high crimes etc.

The left/dems have been saying they were going to impeach Pres Trump from day one, even before his inauguration. That's a fact.

Brennan, Comey lied before Congress, that's a fact. Strzok and page referred to stopping Pres Trump from being president, etc. That, is BEFORE THE ELECTION. The FBI is now under investigation for corrupt behavior, out of control serious intervention in the Trump campaign. They softly stepped away from higgardly's crimes, including the deliberate destruction of 30,000 emails/texts AFTER THEY WERE SUBPOENAed. Instead, they went after Trump. They had Misfud feed information to Popadapolis sp? and used that to "investigate" him. Clinesmith, of the FBI, who was in charge of interacting with the CIA, ...the FBI asked the CIA if Carter Page was working with the CIA. The email came back that he most certainly was.

Clinesmith, a comey hack, CHANGED that email to "IS NOT" a CIA asset. I watched hours of the fake "witnesses" blather on and on about nothing, except for their clear "no trump" demented hatemongering.Three years of mueller nonsense, they found NOTHING. The whole thing was a FARCE.

You know better, you have been a judge for how long? or, you are too busy to have watched the asinine debacle.

If the leftist dems' lawyer is right about anything - its that the holding up of the farce "articles" that were voted on and passed by only dems voting - are null and void after the 2020 election. HE even said it.

For all the character assassination and slander/libel against OUR PRESIDENT WE ELECTED, this was a bogus political hitjob to manipulate 2020. That is right out of a KGB scenario it's so dangerously corrupt.

If you don't think they are holding up on it to get more articles? They don't have any legit articles NOW. LOL LOL

They know this bogus vote and "articles" are killing their poll numbers.  If the Senate does have a trial, you just wait til they get to have THEIR WITNESSES FOR A CHANGE. Ohhhhhh, boy, the stuff will hit the fan and blow onto the dems you betcha.

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I do appreciate the post, Gip. But impeachment is not a political thing, it's referred to as being on the basis of high crimes etc.

But, it is a political proceeding, not a criminal proceeding. In theory, a POTUS could be charged with criminal offenses, when he is out of office, as we know from the fact that Ford had to pardon Nixon. 

You know better, you have been a judge for how long? or, you are too busy to have watched the asinine debacle.

I know better than to listen to your  rants and raves.   And as I have said, if you want any more of my political consultancy.....you can pay me.  Then I can listen.

I

On 12/21/2019 at 5:12 PM, Westside Steve said:

Actually if anyone here (or anywhere) could muster the energy or interest to read your thousands of words of boasting babbling and bloviation it would be them due the financial compensation.

WSS

I do try to dump things down for you Steve on occasion I just can’t get that dumb even if I try 

On 12/21/2019 at 10:36 PM, Axe said:

Dude certainly is one pompous self centered ass isn't he 🤣

I suppose you would say that if someone were to give a exposition about bio chemistry or nuclear physics. That anything that they say based on their years and years of learning and experience would be to you considered pompous. well it’s just that this is what I was trained in and I can’t help it that my education And experienceis something that you’re In capable of relating to or comprehending.