THE BROWNS BOARD

Dorsey —————- GONE

Kvoethe

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I think we'll be just fine. Dorsey didn't want to take a reduced role, but he didn't earn total trust either. Something was just WRONG this year, and both Kitchens and Dorsey shared in that reality. 

We're going to be alright. Just a guess, and lord knows I've been wrong plenty, but I am excited about the new changes and what we'll bring into town. 

What? HOW many times have we seen this shit blow up in out faces? I'm freaking damn tired and disgusted at the endless rinse, wash, repeat cycle. New faces? I'll wait on that. Or are you going to be overjoyed if Wolf and HIghsmith follow John out the door? Huh? First rate Front Office talent doesn't grow on trees FYI.  

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

And the first instance it doesn't go well, you'll go all HYSTERICAL JIGGINS and demand everyone fired. 

We've also seen this movie around here a few times. 😉

We don't know how this will turn out yet, but it doesn't bode well. Haslam was correct is asking Dorsey to take a reduced role after the Freddie fiasco, but it sure looks like crappy hell from the outside. Haslam's mantra in hiring seems to be (and Tour said it too) "plays well with others". John couldn't.  

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Now we’re going back to 0-3 wins a season.

You could be right. And maybe Jiggins can kill himself if we regress back to that level. If DePodesta starts calling the shots- count on it. 

1 hour ago, Chicopee John said:

Larry, what is you take RE: the Mayfield pick.  Yes, Freddie was a big whiff, but do you think Mayfield's performance factored into this?

I know he is young but - I wonder if Mayfield is a 'one (half-year) hit wonder?

God.........................could asphole Rex Ryan be right about him?

FWIW, I hate to see any continuity, once again, dissipate before fully formed.

RE: Baker, it could have- and it was opined elsewhere canning Zampeze might factor into Mayfield's regression, and another reason Dorsey was asked to take a reduced role. For sure, Mayfield has to realize doing those Progressive commercials was a big mistake. He's a far cry from Aaron Rodgers and State Farm. Year three will tell if we have a one year Anderson flash in the pan QB- or the real deal John.  I'll hope for the best, the talent is there- but not the consistency. Those TD passes against the Bengals to Landry and OBJ were as good as it gets.  

I do find it interesting that the pro-analytics people on here seem to completely gloss over the fact that Sashi Brown walked into a situation with a ton of draft picks and salary cap ALREADY, via Joe Banner. That doesn't jive with their "Sashi died on the Browns cross for our sins" martyrdom, though. 

Who knows how this will work out, there could be more people on their way out. For all the talk of DePodesta, who knows, he might have had enough of this circus and STILL opt to leave. 

21 minutes ago, hoorta said:

What? HOW many times have we seen this shit blow up in out faces? I'm freaking damn tired and disgusted at the endless rinse, wash, repeat cycle. New faces? I'll wait on that. Or are you going to be overjoyed if Wolf and HIghsmith follow John out the door? Huh? First rate Front Office talent doesn't grow on trees FYI.  

We don't know how this will turn out yet, but it doesn't bode well. Haslam was correct is asking Dorsey to take a reduced role after the Freddie fiasco, but it sure looks like crappy hell from the outside. Haslam's mantra in hiring seems to be (and Tour said it too) "plays well with others". John couldn't.  

You could be right. And maybe Jiggins can kill himself if we regress back to that level. If DePodesta starts calling the shots- count on it. 

RE: Baker, it could have- and it was opined elsewhere canning Zampeze might factor into Mayfield's regression, and another reason Dorsey was asked to take a reduced role. For sure, Mayfield has to realize doing those Progressive commercials was a big mistake. He's a far cry from Aaron Rodgers and State Farm. Year three will tell if we have a one year Anderson flash in the pan QB- or the real deal John.  I'll hope for the best, the talent is there- but not the consistency. Those TD passes against the Bengals to Landry and OBJ were as good as it gets.  

Highsmith was already out the door, he's being considered for a position at the U of Miami. Wolff will apparently retain his position.

We have become a feeder system for the NFL where players make their mistakes...learn and move on...followed by a golden parachute retirement system for washed up vets to get paid.  

1 hour ago, Browns149 said:

While this is a very reasonable explanation. 

It doesn’t hide the fact that our owner is an IDIOT and has no clue how to run an NFL team

Agree, Haslam's problem is that he agrees to a plan but only half heartedly sticks to it. If they'd Hired Mcdermott instead of Hue as the analytics guys recommended we'd be at the end of their 5 year plan with probably better results.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MDDawg said:

Agree, Haslam's problem is that he agrees to a plan but only half heartedly sticks to it. If they'd Hired Mcdermott instead of Hue as the analytics guys recommended we'd be at the end of their 5 year plan with probably better results.

Those teams were built to tank.

There is absolutely no reason to think McDermott would have survived any longer than Hue did. (Even if he is a better HC, which he is. That was a job destined to fail)

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Those teams were built to tank.

There is absolutely no reason to think McDermott would have survived any longer than Hue did. (Even if he is a better HC, which he is. That was a job destined to fail)

Not so sure about that Flores won 5 games in Miami where the FO went full Sashi this year. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, MDDawg said:

Not so sure about that Flores won 5 games in Miami where the FO went full Sashi this year. 

Fair enough, he did do a nice job. 

I still contend that McDermott or anyone else would not make it through a tank job overseen by the Haslams. Hue probably wouldn't had made it as far as he did if he wasn't a master political behind the scenes backstabber. You just said it yourself, the Haslams can't commit to any plan. McDermott would have been, IMO, a casualty of their incompetence. 

13 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Fair enough, he did do a nice job. 

I still contend that McDermott or anyone else would not make it through a tank job overseen by the Haslams. Hue probably wouldn't had made it as far as he did if he wasn't a master political behind the scenes backstabber. You just said it yourself, the Haslams can't commit to any plan. McDermott would have been, IMO, a casualty of their incompetence. 

At the time I believe Sashi told Haslam to expect 3-5 wins the first year and possibly also the 2nd year obviously we went 1-31 and the rest is history. 

Wow, just saw this...... we went from winning the on paper Super Bowl in July and by the end of the year, we're looking for a new GM, HC and coaching staff.

Ho, Ho, Ho. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

This would be wildly entertaining if it was some other team. 

There just seems to be no rhyme or reason to anything that happens. 

I was listening in to NFL Radio today and a friend of Hue Jackson's told him when he was going out the door headed for Cleveland, "See you in 3 years." Jackson told him that he would not have accepted the job if he believed that. He just replied to Huey, "It's Cleveland and that's what they do." So the guy was chuckling about yet another revolving door to nowhere.

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Somehow I find it appropriate that the Browns will end the decade without a GM or HC.

Won't this be the 3rd consecutive decade ending like that? After all they haven't had a real GM or HC since the return, right?

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

Wow, just saw this...... we went from winning the on paper Super Bowl in July and by the end of the year, we're looking for a new GM, HC and coaching staff.

Ho, Ho, Ho. 

At Texas A&M we always win the Football NC in August and at the end of the season it's, "Wait 'till next year!' Browns were a perfect fit for me. I'm used to it.😂

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, crunchy said:

So idiotic, why would we go for a rebuild after our two best seasons with young players on the come up? Haslam is intentionally sabotaging the team or he's the biggest moron in history

I'll take Morons for $1000 Alex.😁

The Haslams are chaos pure and simple. I think they mean well in their own way, but they are the Browns biggest problem. They lack the patience to see things through and make terrible football decisions. If they want this team to have discipline and stop the infighting etc, they need to lead, they need to set the standard. It you blow things up every couple of years, you will never win, it will only happen by chance. Did Freddie need to go....yes. I wanted him get another year but in week 17 he was still making the same bad decision as in week 1. He wasn't learning. At least if he improved even if they lost I would have been for keeping him around. Dorsey while not perfect was light years ahead of anything we have had. If you want to clean house dump Podesta, we haven't gotten better since he got on board, he should no way be in a power struggle with anybody....what does he do? This is lunancy.....if you wanted Podesta to have more say this should have happened a while ago not today. Its a panic move but the Haslams who clearly don't know what to do.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

........just trying to make sense in my head of recent Haslam decisions.

If you win ZERO games, you're retained as HC.  But if you win even just one game, you're fired.  And as a GM, if you actually BRING talented players to the team, you're fired.

Do I have things about right?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I do find it interesting that the pro-analytics people on here seem to completely gloss over the fact that Sashi Brown walked into a situation with a ton of draft picks and salary cap ALREADY, via Joe Banner.

How much and how many... round by round?

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I do find it interesting that the pro-analytics people on here seem to completely gloss over the fact that Sashi Brown walked into a situation with a ton of draft picks and salary cap ALREADY, via Joe Banner. That doesn't jive with their "Sashi died on the Browns cross for our sins" martyrdom, though. 

Who knows how this will work out, there could be more people on their way out. For all the talk of DePodesta, who knows, he might have had enough of this circus and STILL opt to leave. 

One thing that wouldn't upset me is if DePo did take a hike. MHO is his analytics have sucked. Vastly overrated, he must have Haslam hypnotized to still be around. He's one of the constants in under achievement.

34 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Right... and how much of that motherload survived two years of Farmer?

3 hours ago, MDDawg said:

Agree, Haslam's problem is that he agrees to a plan but only half heartedly sticks to it.

I blame myself...

Jimmah was tending bar at the Admiralty Pub in London the nite before our game vs the Vikes (good game for much of it).

Anyway when I heard he was there I set off to buttonhole him about "staying the course" and got distracted talking to Josh Cribbs... just a great guy. Meanwhile Jimmah and Dee left for their hotel.

On second thought... I blame Josh.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I blame myself...

Jimmah was tending bar at the Admiralty Pub in London the nite before our game vs the Vikes (good game for much of it).

Anyway when I heard he was there I set off to buttonhole him about "staying the course" and got distracted talking to Josh Cribbs... just a great guy. Meanwhile Jimmah and Dee left for their hotel.

Josh Cribbs should get a statue built for this. 😃

21 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I blame myself...

My man. Josh Cribbs yessir.

1 hour ago, Axe said:

How much are the Browns paying people that don't work for the organization anymore?

Aside from Freddie and Dorsey, doesn't look like other past FO and HC are still on the books.

2019 saw Hue's last payday from Jimmah. He was getting  $4,75mm/yr.

Pet was paid off in 2017.  Pet was cheap at $3.5mm/yr.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/cleveland-browns-head-coach-firings-cost

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I blame myself...

Tour- I felt the same thing about Jimmy. Me, Gipper, and Flugels saw Haslam a few years ago when the Browns played the Titans in Nashville. He was there at the Tailgate, shaking hands and posing for selfies with the fans. 

You have to question his ownership style at this point. But dammit, I can't blame Haslam for Dorsey taking a hike. John was plain too prideful to look in a mirror and admit some of his decisions blew up in his face- the primary one being promoting Freddie over (apparently) objections from the rest of the front office in the building. Not the only stuff that others have pointed out, just the biggest. 

You and me have had some arguments over an analytics approach. I'm fine with that POV- but I'm not fine with DePodesta winning a power struggle. He sucks as badly at analytics as Hue did at coaching. There- I said it. And more than anything else, it what scares the crap out of me for the 2020 season. 0-16 here we come again. :(