THE BROWNS BOARD

McDaniels next coach possibly...

Canton Dawg

7 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

The Haslams couldn’t pour piss out of a boot with the instructions on the heel.

I'm currently reading a book called Flight of the Eagle: The Grand Strategies that Brought America from Colonial Dependence to World Leadership by Conrad Black. 

LBJ once said the same of Gerald Ford. 

Thanks for the chuckle!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

lol... just happened to catch both pressers on NFL Live, h, while I was reading and posting here... a/k/a "multitasking"...

Rhule presser caught my ear, but the Judge one made me stop and give it my full attention.

ummmm... don't think so, bp... Position coaches have to be allowed to interview for Coordinator positions

Sorry, teams can block assistant coaches from interviewing for a coordinator job if they are under contract.  There are two types of coaches in the NFL. Head coaches, and assistant.  It's been this way for maybe 5 years now.

shares

The Giants waited patiently for Vikings quarterbacks coach Kevin Stefanski to interview for Minnesota's offensive coordinator job. When the Vikings hired Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo as offensive coordinator on Friday, the path appeared to be clear for Stefanski to come to the Giants as Pat Shurmur's OC. But the Vikings denied the Giants permission to interview and hire Stefanski, who is under contract for the 2018 season.

If you think it's unfair that a team can block a position coach from landing a promotion elsewhere - especially after denying him an internal promotion - you're not alone. But the Vikings were completely within their rights to deny Stefanski the opportunity to pursue career advancement.

The NFL groups coaches into two categories: Head coaches and assistant coaches. Teams can't prevent an assistant from interviewing for head coaching vacancies. But all assistant coaching jobs are on equal footing, so going from, say, assistant offensive line coach to offensive coordinator is considered a lateral move by the NFL.

That's obviously silly.

The rule seems to be based on a concern that teams could come up with phony promotions, such as "associate head coach" or other nominal titles to poach position coaches from other teams. The simple fix would be to add a distinction between position coaches and coordinators. Teams would have to designate three coordinators - offense, defense, special teams - so a "co-coordinator" title couldn't be used to present a promotion.

The other more complicated rule change the NFL needs to consider is the hiring process for head coaches in the wake of Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels leaving the Colts at the altar.

Prospective coaches can back out of deals at any time, but McDaniels' change of heart seems tied to the awkward process where assistants on playoff teams can interview - but not officially accept - head coaching jobs during the postseason.

The whole process is rife with distractions and variables. Assistants for teams with first-round byes can interview during their bye week, while assistants on teams without byes must wait until after Wild-Card weekend to interview. Second interviews can't take place until after the conference championships for assistants of Super Bowl teams.

McDaniels interviewed twice with the Colts during the Patriots' run to the Super Bowl, and both sides agreed that he would be the team's head coach. But nothing could be signed while the Patriots were playing, so they were left in a holding pattern.

McDaniels agreed to become the Colts' head coach two days after the Super Bowl, but he had immediate second thoughts and decided to stay in New England. The Colts were left to scramble for a coach through the second tier of candidates because the top options were hired between the end of the regular season and the Super Bowl. The Colts hired Eagles offensive coordinator Frank Reich on Sunday.

The process is entirely too complicated and there is one simple fix: Don't allow any head coaching interviews to take place until after the Super Bowl. This would level the playing field and allow assistants on playoff teams to maintain their primary focus.

Nothing would be lost by delaying the hiring process by a month, especially because every team would be operating under the same rules. And it would prevent situations like the one with the Colts and McDaniels where the sides entered into a wink-nod agreement that wasn't binding for either side.

This whole thing is kind of a red flag concerning the media in general but Sports in particular. There is so much copy generated each and every hour and so much money made from it and still even taking into consideration the assumption that most of these writers are football insiders and have been reporting on the game for decades combined with a ferocious appetite we have for Browns news that we still haven't got the slightest idea what's going on.

"According to League sources" is as meaningless as "Inspired by actual events."

WSS

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Sorry, teams can block assistant coaches from interviewing for a coordinator job if they are under contract.  There are two types of coaches in the NFL. Head coaches, and assistant.  It's been this way for maybe 5 years now.

Well I'll be... you are correct, sir. I owe you a beer.

We're even blocking our Head-Coachless staff from interviewing... apparently until our new HC decides if he wants them.

The NFL groups coaches into two categories: Head coaches and assistant coaches. Teams can't prevent an assistant from interviewing for head coaching vacancies. But all assistant coaching jobs are on equal footing, so going from, say, assistant offensive line coach to offensive coordinator is considered a lateral move by the NFL.

https://www.nj.com/giants/2018/02/2_changes_the_nfl_needs_to_make_to_coaching_hire_r.html

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

We're even blocking our Head-Coachless staff from interviewing... apparently until our new HC decides if he wants them.

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

You don't owe me anything.  Just keep up with the good posts.

• Thanks 1

Surprised.

But RIP to this thread.  

The writing was probably on the wall When they kept Depo and wanted to interview Stefanski again.

it appears Saleh and Daboll we’re right up there with McD which is kind of surprising.

the beauty of interview process- we will probably see most of the guys as HCs in the next two years so we will get to see how right or wrong we were.  Should be fun 

4 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I missed the part where Depo manipulated the selection process... which paragraph was that?

On a serious note... this Canton Rep writer has been hot lately... becoming one of my fav reads.

52 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I missed the part where Depo manipulated the selection process... which paragraph was that?

On a serious note... this Canton Rep writer has been hot lately... becoming one of my fav reads.

As I understand, it was made fairly clear that  these guys wanted no part of each other. It was made clear to McD that he was not Depo's choice, and  McD said that if he came, Depo would have no role really.    

So Jonah Hill got his way apparently with  the other JH. 

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

As I understand, it was made fairly clear that  these guys wanted no part of each other. It was made clear to McD that he was not Depo's choice, and  McD said that if he came, Depo would have no role really.    

So Jonah Hill got his way apparently with  the other JH. 

Was it Jonah Hill or analytics in general?   

On 1/12/2020 at 5:40 AM, ballpeen said:

Or McDaniels texted his buddy as he was getting on the plane to take the job because it was a no go in Cleveland.

And the next call he took was probably one from   Bill Belichick saying to him:    "I told you not to bother because the situation there in Cleveland is so botched up that it was never going to be the place you should have ever wanted to work". 

As, if I recall "reports were"....that BB advised against Josh even taking the interview. 

16 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Was it Jonah Hill or analytics in general?   

Well, I think it was the personalities, and the demands made upon the incoming HC by Depo.   I am sure that McD  has  used lots and lots of analytics in his tenure, both with the Pats and elsewhere.  

12 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

And the next call he took was probably one from   Bill Belichick saying to him:    "I told you not to bother because the situation there in Cleveland is so botched up that it was never going to be the place you should have ever wanted to work". 

As, if I recall "reports were"....that BB advised against Josh even taking the interview. 

Maybe.  Mine is probably a little closer to the truth.

One thing I do know is Bill has told him it has to be the right owner.  Can't say that fits here....that and he wanted total control from what I have heard.  That can work with some coaches, but I am not so sure with a rookie coach.  I think that is something a coach has to earn.  Go win around 65% of your first 80 games.  Then you can.  Just keep me informed, especially on draft plans, big cuts, and trades.  Don't blindside me, that pisses me off.

21 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

Maybe.  Mine is probably a little closer to the truth.

One thing I do know is Bill has told him it has to be the right owner.  Can't say that fits here....that and he wanted total control from what I have heard.  That can work with some coaches, but I am not so sure with a rookie coach.  I think that is something a coach has to earn.  Go win around 65% of your first 80 games.  Then you can.  Just keep me informed, especially on draft plans, big cuts, and trades.  Don't blindside me, that pisses me off.

Yes.  I think both BB and McD  know about what a decent owner seems to be (hand/blow jobs nothwithstanding).    And BB at least did not think JH was one of those.   Perhaps McD felt he could actually mold the owner into being something more like Kraft if he were chosen......But I don't think that JH wants any part of an HC telling him how best to run his franchise. 

9 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

And to be honest, neither would I.  Who's paying who?  Who paid a $billion to get the gig.

I think that BB essentially tells Kraft how to run his franchise.

And I am talking from a football point of view.   I think, yes, there may be quite a number of  owners who essentially are told how to run their football operations by the man in charge of football operations...that the owner selected.  Don't you?