THE BROWNS BOARD

No Matter Who...Priority #1 is the OL

The Gipper

Is it fair to say that no matter who the HC will be, and no matter who the GM/DPP will be, their #1 priority will be to improve this offensive line?

And, of course, there are two avenues to that:    Free Agency and The Draft.

Free Agents:   Here are like the Top 20 or so available perhaps: 

PLAYER (125)
POS.
TO
2019 AAV
STATUS
MARKET VALUE
Andrew Whitworth LT 38 LAR TBD $11,250,000 UFA -
Anthony Castonzo LT 32 IND TBD $10,953,000 UFA -
Ron Leary G 31 DEN - $9,000,000 CO -
Ryan Kalil C 35 NYJ TBD $8,400,000 UFA -
Kelvin Beachum LT 30 NYJ TBD $8,000,000 UFA -
Bryan Bulaga RT 31 GB TBD $6,750,000 UFA -
Greg Robinson LT 27 CLE TBD $6,400,000 UFA -
Marcus Gilbert RT 32 ARI TBD $6,163,000 UFA -
Jason Peters LT 38 PHI TBD $6,000,000 UFA -
Daryl Williams RT 28 CAR TBD $6,000,000 UFA -
Demar Dotson RT 34 TB TBD $5,500,000 UFA -
Brandon Scherff G 28 WAS TBD $5,303,910 UFA Market Value
Spencer Long C 29 BUF - $4,200,000 CO -
Jack Conklin RT 26 TEN TBD $3,974,415 UFA Market Value
Cameron Fleming T 27 DAL - $3,750,000 CO -
Jared Veldheer RT 33 GB TBD $3,500,000 UFA -
Ereck Flowers G 26 WAS TBD $3,250,000 UFA -
George Fant T 28 SEA TBD $3,095,000 UFA -
B.J. Finney G 28 PIT TBD $3,095,000 UFA

-

They have Robinson as the 7th best overall FA OL prospect?  Does that mean this FA OL class is pretty weak? 

Here are the Top draft prospects at OL:

5Andrew ThomasGeorgiaJrOL16-53201

4Tristan WirfsIowaJrOL26-53221

9Jedrick Wills Jr.AlabamaJrOL36-532021

Creed HumphreyOklahomaSophOL46-531625

Tyler BiadaszWisconsinJrOL56-332136

Austin JacksonUSCJrOL66-631044

Prince Tega WanoghoAuburnSrOL76-730545

Mekhi BectonLouisvilleJrOL86-736947

Josh JonesHoustonSrOL96-731052

Isaiah WilsonGeorgiaSophOL106-734053

Trey SmithTennesseeJrOL116-632556

John SimpsonClemsonSrOL126-433059

Lucas NiangTCUSrOL136-732862

Trey AdamsWashingtonSrOL146-831471

Netane MutiFresno St.JrOL156-330774

Jack DriscollAuburnSrOL166-529675

Lloyd Cushenberry IIILSUJrOL176-431580

Robert HuntLouisianaSrOL186-532293

Solomon KindleyGeorgiaJrOL196-433596

Cesar RuizMichiganJrOL206-431999

Samuel CosmiTexasSophOL216-7300100

Alaric JacksonIowaJrOL226-6320

This is an unpopular opinion but fixing Baker and the play caller probably solves most of the issues.

we just produced one of the top (should have been the top) rushing attacks.  We had lots of issues with Baker in a clean pocket.  

Personnel wise, Hubbard has to go.  I thought the interior played well.  Teller looked like he got it towards the end.  Robinson has spurts.

I wouldn’t force it in the first round if the player isnt there but it should certainly be a priority early in the draft.  And yes i also add a good free agent tackle if some of these guys aren’t franchised. 

This is an unpopular opinion but fixing Baker and the play caller probably solves most of the issues.

Well, Baker may have had some issue,  but, it may simply be addition by subtraction in getting rid of Freddie as far a Mayfield is concerned.  But, the fact is that with him and the rest of the skill positions we have some serious talent there.  Can't say that overall for the OL.   Three positions, to my mind, need upgraded:   LT, RT, RG.

The offensive line is #1 priority. Followed by defensive line, and then safety. Redwine may be a starter next year, but next to who? 

For the offensive line, I would imagine an upgrade at the LT position and have a strong competition for the RT spot.. also maybe use refs that throw flags in training camp?

16 minutes ago, WarriorsRpussies said:

Yup Trade for Trent Williams (late 3rd?) and draft a RT in the first round that can FOR SURE start Day 1 and eventually be groomed for take over for Trent once he declines or retires ETC.

Well...identify a LT anyway that can work here......and the Right side of the line.

44 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

The offensive line is #1 priority. Followed by defensive line, and then safety. Redwine may be a starter next year, but next to who? 

For the offensive line, I would imagine an upgrade at the LT position and have a strong competition for the RT spot.. also maybe use refs that throw flags in training camp?

Let’s correct something Redwine next to who.

No way should we roll into camp with Redwine as a starter.  That would become an immediate issue.  

we need two new starters there.  And essentially a QB for the defense.  It’s a HIGH need 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well, Baker may have had some issue,  but, it may simply be addition by subtraction in getting rid of Freddie as far a Mayfield is concerned.  But, the fact is that with him and the rest of the skill positions we have some serious talent there.  Can't say that overall for the OL.   Three positions, to my mind, need upgraded:   LT, RT, RG.

one impact starter is needed for sure. 

If they let Joe Show walk and make no reasonable attempt to upgrade the safety position with a starter.  We have potentially larger issues. 

We also need a plan too if the League office Decides that Myles should serve a 10/12 or say 16 game suspension.

5 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

one impact starter is needed for sure. 

If they let Joe Show walk and make no reasonable attempt to upgrade the safety position with a starter.  We have potentially larger issues. 

We also need a plan too if the League office Decides that Myles should serve a 10/12 or say 16 game suspension.

Yes

BS if they let Schobert walk

BS if the league pulls that on Garrett. 

• Upvote 1

Best scenario would be LT Andrew Thomas having a Laremy Tunsil esque drop to #10, and RT Isaiah Wilson somehow being available in the early 2nd rd. 

Would for sure consider taking Wilson at #10 if Thomas is gone.

Haven't watched much of Wirfs or Wills but neither have yet to declare anyways.

#1 Thomas

#2 Wilson

48 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Yes

BS if they let Schobert walk

BS if the league pulls that on Garrett. 

LB, SS, FS - there is the center of defense.  And Potentially losing a Pro Bowl DE for part of next year.

Your almost forced to depend on Kirksey next year- is that reasonable?  Anyone want Randall back? I sure don’t.

We got some issues on this side of the ball.  

49 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Let’s correct something Redwine next to who.

No way should we roll into camp with Redwine as a starter.  That would become an immediate issue.  
we need two new starters there. 

Assuming that Randall doesn’t resign, I can’t imagine forking out too much capital on safeties. The interior defensive line seemed outworked and in need of some depth. We need 1 or 2 new OTs, probably another ILB as well.

Only 7 draft picks this year.

I could see signing a safety(Devin McCourty?) and drafting one in the later rounds. It would bring invaluable experience to the defense. I wouldn’t write off Redwine, he wasn’t bad for a rookie 4th rounder. 

24 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Assuming that Randall doesn’t resign, I can’t imagine forking out too much capital on safeties. The interior defensive line seemed outworked and in need of some depth. We need 1 or 2 new OTs, probably another ILB as well.

Which is why I was scratching my head when the released that depth at the interior DL when they cut Devaroe Lawrence. 

Only 7 draft picks this year.

That is the normal number.  I guess we just have to suffice with normal.

I could see signing a safety(Devin McCourty?) and drafting one in the later rounds. It would bring invaluable experience to the defense. I wouldn’t write off Redwine, he wasn’t bad for a rookie 4th rounder. 

A Big, Big question....assuming it is not Saleh....who likely would handle his own defense,  is who will the new HC bring in at DC.   (of course, contrarily....the big question if Saleh were chosen is who would the OC be. 

- You're not getting Trent Williams for a 3rd.   Drafting a middle round replacement to coach up at RT, or even investing a high pick in a RT, then abruptly switch to LT is also a bad move.   The kinetics and footwork are no longer 2nd nature by switching sides.  Sounds stupid, but it isn't.  Ask a good lineman.

- I would like to see Schob re-signed.  I think you'll see more action on that front when we announce who the next DC is.   But I'm also a proponent of smart money.  I like Joe, but he ain't Patrick Willis money.

- I would also like to see Randall resigned.  Many here don't seem to remember what liabilities we had back there for so long.  If DM is looking for top 10 money, then sure... he can walk.  But if a reasonable contract can be struck, it would be in our best interests to keep him around.   He quietly had a good season under Williams.   Under Wilks?  Well my thoughts on our departed DC can be found in many threads.

- As for the name next to Randall and who we might target in the draft.  If OT is gone, there is another name I liked during this season who is going to be a day 2ish kind of guy - Winfield Jr.

I see outside linebacker as a bigger concern, if I’m being honest. Our line played a median level all year and were asked to hold long ass blocks for down field throws. I agree with others that a game more conducive to bakers skill set? This line after week 5 (when 1/2 were injured) is easily a top 10 unit.

im fine with them drafting/targeting a tackle (either side) to shore things up though.

I can see drafting a very good LT that falls to us in the second round, simmons (still hoping) in the first.

Robinson could maybe switch to RT? and draft a development LT/RT later on.

My early draft board ain't changed..sure it may but.

My fingers are crossed OT Tristian Wirfs can't refuse top 15 money...Wirfs the size of a steeler lineman stuck in a Iowa unie..A Fix at our messy OL ya can put at any 3 positions for years...

Than along came this guy, who has declared... 2nd Rounder, day 2? that maybe another hope 🤞   

burst/ballhawk/takes good tacking angles...than tackles..95 of them to lead Bama in 2019          

25 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Another click bait thread from the master...

... and about as on-target as most.

image.png.72743e52cf467456d6f1a79be9c728da.png

You are one gutless wonder  if all you got to contribute is to gripe about the Threads that other people begin.  

I assume by your statement that you apparently believe that  OL is not the #1 priority.   Then why don't you defend that view instead of acting like a big whiny crybaby because someone had an idea that may have been at variance with yours.   

Or start your own threads...if you have the balls or the brains to,  which perhaps you fall short in either account. 

On 1/8/2020 at 1:42 PM, SdBacker80 said:

We don't have to worry about that. I'm pretty sure Joe Mixon is still scraping Redwine off the bottom of his shoe, so we're good. 

• Thanks 1

Still old school on this.  You address needs in FA.  At least early in the draft you go BPA unless it makes no sense at all.  We may not want to draft a QB as an example, but then again, Baker didn't play all that well.  No doubt he got a bit chubby and possibly his head got fat.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

We don't have to worry about that. I'm pretty sure Joe Mixon is still scraping Redwine off the bottom of his shoe, so we're good. 

No doubt about it and we had a few others that are still in the sod at Heinz Field, Arizona and Cincy too.  

i think we are much closer on offense IF Baker improves and Hubbard is out of that RT spot.  

we have way too many concerns on the other side of the ball

what do you all think about the Garrett situation does the NFL wrap this thing into next season as well? 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

what do you all think about the Garrett situation does the NFL wrap this thing into next season as well

Oh yeah. I think it'll be put to rest early because the NFL wants it in the past and they don't want further negative exposure. I know I gave Myles a hard time, mainly because of the lack of "game changing" plays, but obviously he's freaking amazing and we felt his absence like a mofo. He's so good, and I can't wait to get him back. Man....this year really was a cluster taco, huh?