THE BROWNS BOARD

Analytics in football

Westside Steve

8 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Face it gip we're just OLD!  I'm older than all of my many doctors but one, all of the nurses, techs, virtually everyone else I meet in professional settings.

We remember sports, movies, music that these younger people have no idea about. On and on.

Test time youngster. Name her. Surely you possess the wisdom of Solomon.😁

220px-Solomon_and_Sheba-Gina_Lollobrigid

3 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Analytics says we will suck donkey balls again in 2020

What is our success ratio at sucking donkey balls though? And what are the degrees of density of each ball? Is the left one thicker than the right? Are we more successful and sucking the left or right ball? Have you measured the saliva on each ball and cross checked the data? 

Can we reasonably assume that our success at sucking donkey balls will translate to our ability to sucking a horse’s balls? Or an antelope’s balls? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

I like Kevin Stefanski. I like analytics. Forcing Kevin Stefanski to answer to the Browns analytics dept each week, and then meeting with Haslem each week ... is the part I don't like.

One the Season begins, let the Coach coach. He has enough on his plate.

Zombo

Maybe it is all in how it was presented.   You know, it seemed like:  "Thou shalt appear and bow down to the God of Hellfire...who also doubles as the God of Analytics".   Where, perhaps, in actuality, doing it this way is just standard procedure in most places.   There is a skull session that the coaches put together to develop a game plan that an analytics dept. is a part of.   Then there is a post-mortem on the game afterwards.   It might be fair to say that all teams have used these tactics for much of the last century;  its just with the Browns the whole process gets out of proportion because it seems to have been imposed authoritatively. 

20 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

We shouldn't. We have an easier schedule. The good young players that Dorsey drafted will be better. Myles Garrett will be back. That probably cost us at least one probably two games. 

Then Depo will take a bow.

WSS

4 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

If you give up you can click on the picture for the answer.😍

Well, your clue involved Solomon,  so it is likely supposed to be the Queen of Sheba.  But wasn't Sheba from like Ethiopia?  So shouldn't Sheba be black?

And didn't she take the Ark of the Covenant back to Ethiopia with her?

4 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

l question the reliability of it in football.

Did the player [O or D] get into the right initial position as determined by the play.  If yes, +1 for that play for that player.

Did he make the correct read as the play happened -- I turn my head as an OG and see that I should switch off the DT and pick up the DE that's now looping around the DT

Did he execute the final tackle or catch or block that he read as the play happened -- Complete the block of the stunting DE, for example.

And each of these is one play.  There's nearly 70 plays in a game each side of the ball.  Add up player score, normalize to "out of 100" based on some weighting of each of these questions -- to adjust for differing number of plays run each game.

It measures performance over the game based on what play was called -- not just the one or five that the TV camera captured.

You can find things like: somebody always gets to the right spot but whiffs on the tackle, always tackles but isn't athletic enough to get to the right spot, a backup OT always loses to speed-to-power but never gets beat around the edge. 

The idea is that players are what the data says they are.. I don't care how much "heart" you have if you can't execute..

18 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Did the player [O or D] get into the right initial position as determined by the play.  If yes, +1 for that play for that player.

Did he make the correct read as the play happened -- I turn my head as an OG and see that I should switch off the DT and pick up the DE that's now looping around the DT

Did he execute the final tackle or catch or block that he read as the play happened -- Complete the block of the stunting DE, for example.

And each of these is one play.  There's nearly 70 plays in a game each side of the ball.  Add up player score, normalize to "out of 100" based on some weighting of each of these questions -- to adjust for differing number of plays run each game.

It measures performance over the game based on what play was called -- not just the one or five that the TV camera captured.

You can find things like: somebody always gets to the right spot but whiffs on the tackle, always tackles but isn't athletic enough to get to the right spot, a backup OT always loses to speed-to-power but never gets beat around the edge.  I of course don't know what stats are going to be looked at -- but the idea is that players are what the data says they are..

Really good explanation. Thank you. Gonna stew on this and l may be back for more.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

If you give up you can click on the picture for the answer.😍

Gina !   I know that this is going way off topic but in a nice way.  :D

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, hoorta said:

OK- when I first heard this it was  WTF in hell are they going to try now? So teams are now going to play an extremely advanced computerized game of Madden. Except it's for real, in Actual NFL games. This being the case, no wonder McDaniels told the Browns- "No Thanks".  

I borrowed this from Dustin Fox's Twitter feed. I'm sure a lot of Browns fans share the sentiment. 

Here's Jimmy, Depodesta, and the rest of the analytics team going over the head coaches game plan at the end of the week to give their approval.

EOHu_08WAAAaeOQ.jpg

Dustin Fox was also ecstatic about Hue's hiring. Nobody knows how this will pan out.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

What?  You never know they won 13 games in two years but with the new and improved BROWNS analytics v 3.1 "analytics for winners" they might win 13 games next year.

It could happen.  :mellow:

27 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

You’re still fired. We need people who recognize great tits in real time and minimal resolution to succeed. Time is money.

Damn...I must be losing my fastball. 

I least I haven't gotten to the point where my comment was "Tits?  What are tits?"    But, maybe I do need much closer access to them than was provided in that old photo.   So,  in the future, help an old man out.  Put those tits up closer so I can see them properly.  This would probably work:

27Zxd.jpg

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Damn...I must be losing my fastball. 

I least I haven't gotten to the point where my comment was "Tits?  What are tits?"    But, maybe I do need much closer access to them than was provided in that old photo.   So,  in the future, help an old man out.  Put those tits up closer so I can see them properly.  This would probably work:

27Zxd.jpg

Ha! You can only fit so much in your mouth. That’s my motto anyway.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

I guess those still in a tizzy over the Friday review meeting with "Analytics" haven't listened to Stef's intro presser yet...

Yeah- and it sounds like the press about those meetings was, as Stef said- "silly season over reporting". 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cleveland-browns/0ap3000001096650/Stefanski-refutes-report-he-ll-hand-over-plans-to-analytics-team-pregame

Great if Jimmy wants to know what's going on- but keep your nose out of the proceedings.....   We'll give you 5 minutes to let you know what we're thinking of doing this Sunday- subject to change on how the game is going....   

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well, your clue involved Solomon,  so it is likely supposed to be the Queen of Sheba.  But wasn't Sheba from like Ethiopia?  So shouldn't Sheba be black?

And didn't she take the Ark of the Covenant back to Ethiopia with her?

You're halfway there. Who played the Queen of Sheba?

6 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Gina !   I know that this is going way off topic but in a nice way.  :D

Half credit.😂

13 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

The A’s simply prioritized different stats. Instead of dingers and batting average, they prioritized things like OBP and productive at bats. Nobody at the time was paying big bucks for guys who got on base a lot but didn’t hit a lot of homers.

Sort of, but Billy Beane & Depo did not simply "prioritize different stats", Bill James' analyses revealed which stats produced the highest correlation with winning... and OBP was the king of these.  Other analysis yielded lesser contributing factors such as no sacrifice bunting or stealing that they adopted. Anything to maximize your opponent's pitch count...

Because James was working with game recounts he minimized defense because he had no way of analyzing its impact. Now with seasons of live-charted games in the data banks Defensive considerations have been revived... as even Bill had to know they would be... since good Defense minimizes that team's pitch count.