THE BROWNS BOARD

Done deal.. Berry& Phillips coming to CLE!

nickers

11 minutes ago, nickers said:

This alleviates some of my concerns.  Wade has head coaching experience so stefanski can lean on him some and one of my biggest concerns was how close stefanski and wilkes are thinking the biggest issue of our coaching staff from last year was going to retain his job had me quite anxious. Berry still has me anxious. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Icecube said:

As long as Wade doesn't hit the age wall, these appear as solid moves. Why did Philly let Berry go? 

Because going from Assistant GM to "full" GM was a promotion- the Eagles couldn't stop him- if he wants to go. FWIW, they blocked Berry from taking a lateral move to Assistant GM with another team....   Different for guys in the Front office if they're offered anything less than GM duties. Director of Player Personnel et al....   

It's the same deal with assistant coaches- teams can block them from taking lateral moves if they're still under contract....  

6 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Wait, this really isn't official.  Just says they 'WILL' be in Cleveland.  

LOL like Cowher looking at houses in Strongsville?  :)   I really, really hope we can at least get Wade in house. MHO is his lifetime of coaching experience (including being a head coach) will be invaluable for Stefanski.  

Um read the last line of the link...    

"If Berry and Phillips do become members of the Cleveland Browns, the Browns will be bringing in two well-respected individuals."

Stefanski and DePo have yet to interview either of them AFAIK....

If this is confirmed, I'm really happy. 

Maybe we needed a "not so top" coach that knows that he needs BOTH a good OC and a good DC to control each phase of the game leaving him tome to focus on the team overal. Like all the coaches should f*cking do. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Because going from Assistant GM to "full" GM was a promotion- the Eagles couldn't stop him- if he wants to go. FWIW, they blocked Berry from taking a lateral move to Assistant GM with another team....   Different for guys in the Front office if they're offered anything less than GM duties. Director of Player Personnel et al....   

It's the same deal with assistant coaches- teams can block them from taking lateral moves if they're still under contract....  

Understood, I didn't realize he was just assist. GM. 

3 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

This alleviates some of my concerns.  Wade has head coaching experience so stefanski can lean on him some and one of my biggest concerns was how close stefanski and wilkes are thinking the biggest issue of our coaching staff from last year was going to retain his job had me quite anxious. Berry still has me anxious. 

Yeah.. I don't want to see this roster littered with overrated SPARQ picks... Like Sashimi did..

37 minutes ago, hoorta said:

LOL like Cowher looking at houses in Strongsville?  :)   I really, really hope we can at least get Wade in house. MHO is his lifetime of coaching experience (including being a head coach) will be invaluable for Stefanski.  

Um read the last line of the link...    

"If Berry and Phillips do become members of the Cleveland Browns, the Browns will be bringing in two well-respected individuals."

Stefanski and DePo have yet to interview either of them AFAIK....

Yeah dawgsbynature jumped the gun here.  Dustin fox tweeted that berry and phillips will be in Cleveland meaning they will be coming in for interviews and DBN took it as him saying they will be in Cleveland next year. I feel like that last line was added in after they realized it. Since the very first line is

"The Cleveland Browns have reportedly ended their search for a general manager and defensive coordinator, as Andrew Berry and Wade Phillips will be on staff."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Louisville Slugger said:

If he can get an experienced O.C. to call plays I'll take bad all the bad stuff I said about him. Preferably Kubiak so he can continue to learn that offense

And also a SB winning HC to add further help for the young HC. Someone he really trusts.👍