THE BROWNS BOARD

Luke Kuechly Retires

Axe

Good for Luke! Like Jimmy Brown, he left STILL being respected for his "on field" play. I applaud both. Their legacies as players are totally positive & lasting.

It's sad watching players lessen their legacy by playing long past their prime.

I remember how Jimmy left me wanting to see more of his great play, but my memories of his play are nothing but great. Kuechly has left his Fans with the same.

Mike 

I wanted him SO badly when he came out. He was as close as a sure thing as I've ever seen, AND a great human being. I only hope his brain is OK and he lives a long, wonderful life. 

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I thought he was really at the top of his game still. 

Oh he was, just had way too many concussions. That one he had a year or two ago when he didn't know where he was and was crying on the field brought effing TEARS to my eyes. 

• Upvote 1

I think we are going to start seeing a trend from here on out. Guys get huge generational money on their second deal (especially if they were top 10 picks initially) and they are going to walk away from the game. They have no more reason to keep putting their body through it. I'm betting the next one we see walk away early is Carson Wentz. I think the NFL behind closed doors is terrified. This is starting to create as Depo would say, "a trend line". The NFL can't afford the negativity that comes along with guys leaving the game early considering the numbers of youth football have dropped off pretty significantly over the last few years. 

2 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

I think we are going to start seeing a trend from here on out. Guys get huge generational money on their second deal (especially if they were top 10 picks initially) and they are going to walk away from the game. They have no more reason to keep putting their body through it. I'm betting the next one we see walk away early is Carson Wentz. I think the NFL behind closed doors is terrified. This is starting to create as Depo would say, "a trend line". The NFL can't afford the negativity that comes along with guys leaving the game early considering the numbers of youth football have dropped off pretty significantly over the last few years. 

Fair comment.  Of course, don't forget Andrew Luck, Calvin Johnson.

2 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

The NFL may be becoming a casualty of their own success in a strange way.  The ever rising TV money which kind of fuels this arms race for talent is creating very well off players in all positions now.  This coupled with the undeniable CTE brain injuries which is leading to reduced participation in tackle football by younger people and big cash settlements which will continue to rise.  

This has led to rule changes to the game itself with probably more changes to come which many fans dislike has caused the NFL to go all out to try to bring interest back to the game ironically in it's 100th season and doing whatever else is needed to "protect the shield".

The last thing they need now is for their best, most popular and highest paid players to step away from the game earlier and earlier.

Sure you will have the Brady and Roethisberger types that won't quit until they're carried out but more may leave earlier.  We'll see what happens next........

3 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

Another guy who walked  away was Barry  Sanders on the cusp of passing  Walter  Payton for the rushing  record.  He talked about his  decision  recently.  Said he  saw no  chance of  the Lions going to the  Super Bowl,  so it didn't  make any sense to get beaten  to a pulp again just to pass  Walter. 

Honestly thought he was gone after 2016...

While he seemed to learn how to protect his head these past couple seasons, apparently he did not like playing Rugby as much as he did football.

Next stop Canton...