THE BROWNS BOARD

2020 NFL Browns draft rumors

calfoxwc

I can see LOT>

hadn't thought about a top safety, outside of Simmons, a lb(s)

Just how good IS Delpit? Especially if Simmons is gone?

or is Jordan Fuller as good a pick, albeit a bit later?

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/16/lsu-safety-grant-delpit-declares-possible-browns-1st-round-target/

I'm doubt Simmons ever plays Safety in the NFL. Delpit has not impressed me, but I've only watched 4 LSU broadcasts this season.

In any case don't lock in on a Safety at #10. There look to be some good ones that will be around Day 2, e.g., Fuller, Jones (UT) and Blackmon (Utah). Fuller's size is attractive, but Jones and Blackmon are faster.

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I'm doubt Simmons ever plays Safety in the NFL. Delpit has not impressed me, but I've only watched 4 LSU broadcasts this season.

In any case don't lock in on a Safety at #10. There look to be some good ones that will be around Day 2, e.g., Fuller, Jones (UT) and Blackmon (Utah). Fuller's size is attractive, but Jones and Blackmon are faster.

I tried to fight the temptation - probably true - but having a lb that can drop back and cover most of the fastest TE's in the NFL would be cool.

It's complicated, but yes, usually safeties fall to the second half of the first or second.... I will honestly say, though, that I was hoping to hear Simmon's name a lot during the championship game. They threw at him early, he was right there and broke it up. He was playing cb out wide. etc etc.

I found this:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-national-championship-game-isaiah-simmons-tee-higgins-highlight-clemsons-draft-prospects-in-big-game/

Isaiah Simmons, S/LB

Simmons will be the biggest athletic freak show on the field in a game loaded with future NFL talent. At 6-foot-4 and 225 pounds with long arms and explosive acceleration that lends itself to outstanding range as a tackler and in coverage, Simmons represents the prototype for the modern nickel linebacker, although he's spent a fair amount of time in a traditional safety role this season. Before this showdown with LSU, the junior has 97 total tackles -- 14.5 of them for a loss -- with six pass breakups, three interceptions, and two forced fumbles. He's everywhere. 

er....nickel linebacker. "like I said" .... lol. I'm just amazed by him, seems he may not even last til ten...

https://nypost.com/2020/01/14/clemsons-isaiah-simmons-had-giants-fans-drooling-over-nfl-draft-possibility/

https://empiresportsmedia.com/new-york-giants/new-york-giants-isaiah-simmons-the-new-top-defensive-draft-prospect/    

New York Giants: Isaiah Simmons the New Top Defensive Draft Prospect

Isaiah Simmons Stats and Highlights

Isaiah Simmons is the most versatile player in college football. This year, Simmons played 104 snaps on the defensive line, 203 snaps as a box linebacker, 230 snaps as a slot cornerback, 106 snaps at free safety, and he even played 6 snaps at wide cornerback (Pro Football Focus). Isaiah has the athletic ability to line up and make an impact anywhere on the defense.

He will be listed as a linebacker in this year’s draft, as that is his primary position, but Isaiah Simmons will make plays from any position. In his junior 2019 season, Clemson’s playmaking defender has totaled 93 tackles in 13 games. Additionally, Simmons has driven opposing offenses backward with 14.5 tackles for loss and 7 sacks. Isaiah has been a playmaker in coverage too, with 2 interceptions and 6 passes defended.

If I assume Simmons goes before 10... after Chase goes in the top two or three...

well, it is NFL mock draft hell. lol. and the combine is a long ways away.

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Tour, MHO assuming how it falls out- best LT  prospect @ 10.

For sure, it's ground and pound with Chubb and Hunt.

30 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

How he got it over Okudah is embarrassing.

A+ Greed! ... Edit--Are we really going to start several different worded Draft Threads? yikes! 

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

A+ Greed! ... Edit--Are we really going to start several different worded Draft Threads? yikes! 

this isn't about a bet on one situation....not really "who are you watching"....

if it needs to be merged, okie-dokie. I just wanted to concentrate on draft rumors. It occured to me because I've been

working on a mock draft. Slightly different subject, ya?

(btw, Congrats on winning Bowl Mania, how the hell did you DO that?)

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, hoorta said:

Tour, MHO assuming how it falls out- best LT  prospect @ 10. For sure, it's ground and pound with Chubb and Hunt.

And if that LT is at best worth a 2nd? a late 1st?

This is how a pure needs based draft distorts things.

11 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

How he got it over Okudah is embarrassing.

PFF just declared Okudah the 2nd coming of Jalen Ramsey.

12 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

And if that LT is at best worth a 2nd? a late 1st?

This is how a pure needs based draft distorts things.

I know Brian Billick is a disliked person around here....but I recall him saying once...."need is a terrible evaluator".    He was referring to QB's but I think it fits with any position.

• Upvote 2

I'm starting new draft rumors:

Three round draft. I now figure, Simmons will not last to the Browns at ten. So, with that settled,

their 4rd draft could look like this: (way too early to try at length)

First Round:**************************************************

Austin Jackson*, OT, USC
Height: 6-6. Weight: 305.
Projected 40 Time: 5.40.

Will start immediately at LT. Joe Thomas will work with him.

2nd Round:**************************************************

Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama
Height: 6-1. Weight: 197.
Projected 40 Time: 4.53.
Projected Round (2020): 1-2.

McKinney might go earlier... but it's one of these two guys.

Kyle Dugger, S, Lenoir-Rhyne
Height: 6-2. Weight: 215.
Projected 40 Time: 4.48.
Projected Round (2020): 2-3.

Third Round:**************************************************
 First pick:
K.J. Hill, WR, Ohio State
Height: 6-0. Weight: 200.
Projected 40 Time: 4.42.
Projected Round (2020): 2-3.

Tough to say - with a very strong wr draft... I think he'll be there. He'll replace "it's all about me and my brand" man.

2nd PIck
Marcus Norman, ROT, South Florida, 6'6", 316 lbs

Scouts overlook him, Walter's doesn't list him at all.

I think he's a RT that will be there and be great for a long time.

4th Round**************************************************

David Woodward*, OLB/ILB, Utah State
Height: 6-4. Weight: 247.
Projected 40 Time: 4.79.
Projected Round (2020): 3-5.
1/11/20: Over the past two seasons, Woodward was a tough run defender and a tackling machine. In 2019, Woodward totaled 93 tackles with two sacks, four forced fumbles and two passes defended. He was even better as a sophomore with 134 tackles, five sacks, two interceptions and three passes defended.

OTH, Wirfs has actually played some LT in college, and did just as well. His feet questions may not be valid after all?

anyways, Wirfs vs Austin Jackson.

Big question. The bigger question is, can the Browns pass on a player like Delpit here, and find some LT gems later. maybe.....

https://nflmocks.com/2019/11/07/cleveland-browns-2020-nfl-draft-mock/2/

or, maybe you jump at drafting this guy, who make Austin Jackson miserable:

A.J. Epenesa*, DE, Iowa
Height: 6-5. Weight: 277.
Projected 40 Time: 4.80.
Projected Round (2020): 1.

Obviously the Browns need to invest heavily into the OTackles… but I hope they do the same with TEs. 

The Browns most likely will be running a lot of multi-TE sets. Njoku is on his last year of his rookie contract, and the roster beyond that is mediocre at best. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Browns most likely will be running a lot of multi-TE sets.

Yup... Under Stef the Vikes used 2 or more TEs 51% of the time.... 3 TE 10%.

Receiving talent at TE looks to be scarce, but there are some good value blocking TEs in the first half of Day 3. So if we can't land OT improvement, then perhaps we can add a help chipping. Problem is we only have one pick in the first-half of Day 3... but trading down one of our two 3rd rounders can fix that.

Found this website for the formation stats... https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/personnel-grouping-frequency.html

15 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I'm starting new draft rumors: Three round draft.

• Austin J feels very reachy at 10 overall. Epenesa is an intriguing thought at that spot.
  • McKinney looks very possible and reasonable at 2.09; the other Safety is a reach. I like Texas' Brandon Jones' value in the 3rd.
  • I don't see Hill going in Day 3 unless he really surprises at The Combine.

Edit: And having now looked at the list of Underclass WRs who have declared for the 2020 Draft, I now agree it is a strong, deep class... in part that's why I see Hill being pushed out of Day 3.

• Upvote 1

Receiving talent at TE looks to be scarce, but there are some good value blocking TEs in the first half of Day 3. So if we can't land OT improvement, then perhaps we can add a help chipping. Problem is we only have one pick in the first-half of Day 3... but trading down one of our two 3rd rounders can fix that.

Found this website for the formation stats... https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/personnel-grouping-frequency.html

Ya got a plan on a FB this offseason besides Juszczyk? Stef used RFA FB CJ Ham 20-30 snaps/game.. Ham might be it, but have ya seen BC's FB AJ Dillon? I can't get Dillon past the 4th round in first-pick..  

16 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Ya got a plan on a FB this offseason besides Juszczyk? Stef used RFA FB CJ Ham 20-30 snaps/game.. Ham might be it, but have ya seen BC's FB AJ Dillon? I can't get Dillon past the 4th round in first-pick..  

Shanny uses a FB because he has a damn good one. I figure Stef has a similar mindset.   If I can't get a true lead, I'll just run with more TE help or even an extra lineman.

31 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Ham might be it, but have ya seen BC's FB AJ Dillon? I can't get Dillon past the 4th round in first-pick..  

I haven't seen him, but I seldom sweat FBs... somewhere in this great, big country is an oversized, UDFA RB with decent hands who will block his ass of to play in the NFL.

The Fanspeak sim is pretty good this year, isn't it? I miss the trading that's in FirstPick, but FanSpeak's player rankings seem much more accurate.

• Austin J feels very reachy at 10 overall. Epenesa is an intriguing thought at that spot.
  • McKinney looks very possible and reasonable at 2.09; the other Safety is a reach. I like Texas' Brandon Jones' value in the 3rd.
  • I don't see Hill going in Day 3 unless he really surprises at The Combine.

Edit: And having now looked at the list of Underclass WRs who have declared for the 2020 Draft, I now agree it is a strong, deep class... in part that's why I see Hill being pushed out of Day 3.

Thanks ! I didn't catch that Epenesa was awesome against Austin til later. True - it's better to have a dramatic game changer so high.

Hill is a homer pick by me, certainly, but then I remembered Michael Thomas, lol. Truth is, my bad, Hill isn't the end all, I just kept thinking of the other guys ranked well ahead of him would be gone by our pick in the third.

Like all these guys: https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/07/10/nfl-draft-2020-top-wide-receivers-jerry-jeudy-laviska-shenault

I don't know - I just have fun trying to figure it out.

9 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I don't know - I just have fun trying to figure it out.

So cal, you gonna play the Browns Mock draft with us this year. It's a really good pastime until draft day. And by then we all get so familiar with the draft possibilities that we can cheer or jeer at each Browns' choice in "live" time. I've even been thinking it might be worth my while to attend the draft in Vegas this year. Haven't been back there in years and I have an old friend who lives there who can get us in for the first two rounds.

good luck trying to Mock this time of year... https://draftwire.usatoday.com/gallery/2020-nfl-draft-rankings-top-50-prospects-senior-bowl/   most media markets are having a different opinion even going into Senior bowl week deciding on the whom's BPA might even be.. 

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

So cal, you gonna play the Browns Mock draft with us this year. It's a really good pastime until draft day. And by then we all get so familiar with the draft possibilities that we can cheer or jeer at each Browns' choice in "live" time. I've even been thinking it might be worth my while to attend the draft in Vegas this year. Haven't been back there in years and I have an old friend who lives there who can get us in for the first two rounds.

That the one where everybody picks for a different team? Haven't ever done, because I'd only want to draft for the Browns and a lot of folks want to do that. If I drafted for any other team, I'd draft a 4th rounder in the first round to help the Browns out. lol

• Haha 1

Really interesting article about how to fix the oline ...mentions free agents and top picks in the draft...

Becton over Wirfs? The new offense would be zone blocking - meaning that agility, balance,  and quick feet

are required.

crap. didn't get the link in there. This one is good. Can't find the other one.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01/how-might-new-browns-head-coach-kevin-stefanski-fix-clevelands-offense-film-review.html

then there is:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-draft-2020-breaking-down-other-tackles-who-could-help-the-cleveland-browns-offensive-line-film-review/ar-BBYP2or